Options

What would Brian Boitano [Chat]?

1353637383941»

Posts

  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's really no fun when you guys refuse to play along.

    Ludious on
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ludious wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    You aren't aware of the dangers of flouride?

    Let me guess, you think it's good for you.

    Fucking communists messing with my bodily fluids!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SYgUi_f5yY

    brought to you by the same youtube guy that exposed the dangers of vaccines!

    Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ludious wrote: »
    I am glad i don't drink the Koolaid and can serve as a Lighthouse, a shining beacon in the darkness that is this liberal echo chamber.

    You are not getting your recommended daily dosage of purple, my friend.

    moniker on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    _J_ wrote: »
    So you believe in nonsense?

    Good times.

    Everybody believes in nonsense. I remember seeing a discussion with a psychologist who would pay people 10 bucks to sign a document giving their souls to the devil and no one took the money.

    I know someone who sold their soul for a cookie.

    And my gf sold hers for an icecream.

    I would take the ten bucks no problem.

    Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hachface wrote: »
    what happened to that Chicken cop guy
    the cop thread needs more rage

    Which one, aren't there like 3 of 'em now?

    moniker on
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ludious wrote: »
    It's really no fun when you guys refuse to play along.
    HealthRanger7 (2 weeks ago)

    The education system, 'mainstream' medicine and the mainstream media are all controlled by a small group of people who want to 'dumb down' society.

    Fluoride (in drinking water and toothpaste) plays a small, but important part in this evil agenda.

    Watch the film 'Wake Up Call' (among my top 9 favorites) to learn more about this agenda.

    wow.

    Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Proto wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    It's really no fun when you guys refuse to play along.
    HealthRanger7 (2 weeks ago)

    The education system, 'mainstream' medicine and the mainstream media are all controlled by a small group of people who want to 'dumb down' society.

    Fluoride (in drinking water and toothpaste) plays a small, but important part in this evil agenda.

    Watch the film 'Wake Up Call' (among my top 9 favorites) to learn more about this agenda.

    wow.

    I know. Without people like HealthRanger7, we may never know the truth.

    Ludious on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    _J_ wrote: »
    So you believe in nonsense?

    Good times.

    Everybody believes in nonsense. I remember seeing a discussion with a psychologist who would pay people 10 bucks to sign a document giving their souls to the devil and no one took the money.

    I know someone who sold their soul for a cookie.

    And my gf sold hers for an icecream.

    I would take the ten bucks no problem.

    I'd hold out for something better. I mean, $10 doesn't cover some cups of coffee anymore. Deals with the Devil should be more fortuitous.

    moniker on
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    _J_ wrote: »
    So you believe in nonsense?

    Good times.

    Everybody believes in nonsense. I remember seeing a discussion with a psychologist who would pay people 10 bucks to sign a document giving their souls to the devil and no one took the money.

    I know someone who sold their soul for a cookie.

    And my gf sold hers for an icecream.

    I would take the ten bucks no problem.

    There are a few rationalists in the world. One could also argue that some percentage of people who refused to sell their souls were atheists who didn't think it was morally right to sell something they didn't have.

    themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

    Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    man am i sick of folk saying "THAT'S COGNITIVE DISSONANCE!" when i'm like "oh i am religious but not a cockhole about it and i don't expect you to think it's not ridiculous, it kinda is"

    the people who scream that shit basically require that a person who expresses religious faith act like a dickbag about it and if a person isn't, that's cognitive dissonance, apparently!

    so tempted to post that inigo montoya "you keep using that word" video

    Pony on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ludious wrote: »
    Proto wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    It's really no fun when you guys refuse to play along.
    HealthRanger7 (2 weeks ago)

    The education system, 'mainstream' medicine and the mainstream media are all controlled by a small group of people who want to 'dumb down' society.

    Fluoride (in drinking water and toothpaste) plays a small, but important part in this evil agenda.

    Watch the film 'Wake Up Call' (among my top 9 favorites) to learn more about this agenda.

    wow.

    I know. Without people like HealthRanger7, we may never know the truth.

    I really wish there was some sort of evil (or perhaps just amoral) cabal ruling the world and controlling everything. Life would be a lot more interesting that way. Plus I'd totally try and intern there. I don't have to be anything important, just make me undersecretary of transportation or HUD or something.

    moniker on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm not really definable by a specific philosophy, I prefer my ideas ala carte.

    Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    _J_ wrote: »
    So you believe in nonsense?

    Good times.

    Everybody believes in nonsense. I remember seeing a discussion with a psychologist who would pay people 10 bucks to sign a document giving their souls to the devil and no one took the money.

    I know someone who sold their soul for a cookie.

    And my gf sold hers for an icecream.

    I would take the ten bucks no problem.

    I'd hold out for something better. I mean, $10 doesn't cover some cups of coffee anymore. Deals with the Devil should be more fortuitous.

    In High School I bought a kid's soul for $3.

    I still have it in my closet.

    _J_ on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    man am i sick of folk saying "THAT'S COGNITIVE DISSONANCE!" when i'm like "oh i am religious but not a cockhole about it and i don't expect you to think it's not ridiculous, it kinda is"

    the people who scream that shit basically require that a person who expresses religious faith act like a dickbag about it and if a person isn't, that's cognitive dissonance, apparently!

    so tempted to post that inigo montoya "you keep using that word" video

    When it comes to religion the only thing that pisses me off is proselytizing. Beyond that you can do or believe whatever the fuck you want. I'll still probably mock it, but on the basis of mocking everything.

    moniker on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm not really definable by a specific philosophy, I prefer my ideas ala carte.

    I enjoy the fact that I was raised Catholic since I can just say that I'm a lapsed one. It answers the question without actually answering anything. Plus I enjoy pomp and circumstance, which the Church has in buckets. Gold inlaid buckets designed by Michelangelo in the 16th century.

    moniker on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    Proto wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    It's really no fun when you guys refuse to play along.
    HealthRanger7 (2 weeks ago)

    The education system, 'mainstream' medicine and the mainstream media are all controlled by a small group of people who want to 'dumb down' society.

    Fluoride (in drinking water and toothpaste) plays a small, but important part in this evil agenda.

    Watch the film 'Wake Up Call' (among my top 9 favorites) to learn more about this agenda.

    wow.

    I know. Without people like HealthRanger7, we may never know the truth.

    I really wish there was some sort of evil (or perhaps just amoral) cabal ruling the world and controlling everything. Life would be a lot more interesting that way. Plus I'd totally try and intern there. I don't have to be anything important, just make me undersecretary of transportation or HUD or something.

    wolfram.jpg

    Ludious on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    man am i sick of folk saying "THAT'S COGNITIVE DISSONANCE!" when i'm like "oh i am religious but not a cockhole about it and i don't expect you to think it's not ridiculous, it kinda is"

    the people who scream that shit basically require that a person who expresses religious faith act like a dickbag about it and if a person isn't, that's cognitive dissonance, apparently!

    so tempted to post that inigo montoya "you keep using that word" video

    When it comes to religion the only thing that pisses me off is proselytizing. Beyond that you can do or believe whatever the fuck you want. I'll still probably mock it, but on the basis of mocking everything.

    totally cool

    i don't proselytize, ever, and i frown on the very idea

    so, we is cool on that

    Pony on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm not really definable by a specific philosophy, I prefer my ideas ala carte.

    That's because you're smart.

    DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Cognitive dissonance is still a value call, not a nice safe avenue of discrediting someone.

    IT just means that we tend to feel distress when presented with two opposing contradictory decisions, judgements, ideas, etc, until we resolve them. We tend to resolve them in favour of one or the other because as a rule human beings lack imagination and so don't think of other options that might resolve the contradiction and thus both at the same time.
    But this third way is a valid way to resolve a cognitive dissonance.

    _J_ just likes to pretend he understands concepts he doesnt.

    Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Cognitive dissonance is still a value call, not a nice safe avenue of discrediting someone.

    IT just means that we tend to feel distress when presented with two opposing contradictory decisions, judgements, ideas, etc, until we resolve them. We tend to resolve them in favour of one or the other because as a rule human beings lack imagination and so don't think of other options that might resolve the contradiction and thus both at the same time.
    But this third way is a valid way to resolve a cognitive dissonance.

    _J_ just likes to pretend he understands concepts he doesnt.

    yeah

    specifically, the idea is that cognitive dissonance is supposed to denote distress.

    if a person holds two ideas that appear, to an outside observer, to be contradictory or counter-intuitive, but doesn't feel any sort of distress over it, that's not cognitive dissonance.

    if the ideas are truly contradictory, they might be exhibiting double-think, but that's about it

    and the idea that i am using double-think to practice my religious faith without being a shit-heel about it is pretty funny!

    Pony on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You can resolve the stress without even touching the contradictory dissonances if both make your life function as it is.
    I do this. I'm very logical about many things, including other peoples feelings.

    My feelings about my gf? Do Not Touch

    I actively go against logic that might degrade my positive feelings.

    Because this helps my relationship function better and makes me approach it constructively.
    In such a case the problem is not the contradictions in personality, but instead the distress itself.
    So I told it to fuck off.

    Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    Hurt Locker was really good...for those that might be interested.

    Dynagrip on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What's happening tomorrow with regards to ReBoot?

    moniker on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    1625

    Thanatos on
This discussion has been closed.