As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A week without corn.

taerictaeric Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited July 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
I realize there is a fair bit of vitriol on this forum already for corn. Actually, I think it is fairer to say the subsidies behind the corn industry, as I doubt anyone here really hates the actual corn. Further, I don't think anyone that actually gives it too much thought has much disagreement with this distaste. Simply realizing how much uses corn syrup is one of the more alarming aspects of our society in general.

With all of that in mind, I was interested when I saw this blog announce a week avoiding all corn. The results left me thinking just how much of the substance is in my weekly diet? Are there any other ingredients that have such a large spread?

Further, is this distrust of the corn lobby wasted effort? Would we simply substitute something else that is not healthy in the place of the corn ingredients? (I feel that statement itself is rather misleading, as I don't think there is that much particularly unhealthy about the ingredients.) Would just as interesting a blog be possible if someone were to try a week with a set amount of sweetener in general?

taeric on

• Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Corn is in a lot of things... from the sodas you drink, to processed foods (it's sometimes filler), to the gasoline you put in your car. A week without corn is possible, but it's harder to do than just not eating something that's obviously corn.

GungHo on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Its easy to not have corn. Or sugar. It's pretty much my normal diet, minus tortilla chips and the like once bi-weekly soda.

of course to really get rid of sugar you also can't drink alcohol, which is harder. but I've also done that for extended amount of times.

geckahn on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fuck that. Corn is godamn delicious.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Nobody is talking about corn on the cob.

geckahn on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

Go drink a soda made with corn syrup. After you're done, drink a soda made with pure cane sugar. Then come back and apologize.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Go drink a soda made with corn syrup. After you're done, drink a soda made with pure cane sugar. Then come back and apologize.

I had the Pepsi Natural. It was good, but pretty much the same exact taste.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's very noticeable to me (the difference, that is) in Coke and Dr. Pepper. I haven't tried the Pepsi Natural stuff.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Pepsi, Coke...they're all huge wastes of calories. Coke Zero is the greatest invention because it pares the whole drink back to what it truly is, minus the calories.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    One easy solution is to avoid eating processed food at all. Nothing ready-made, no soft drinks etc. Just eat fresh vegetables and buy non-prepacked meat at the butcher shop. Drink water and fruit juice that you press yourself.

The cattle you get the meat from might have eaten corn though. Look for grass-fed meat.

Grudge on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Pepsi, Coke...they're all huge wastes of calories. Coke Zero is the greatest invention because it pares the whole drink back to what it truly is, minus the calories.
    And plus a lot of extra chemicals. Chemical sweeteners are the only thing worse than corn syrup.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I had the Pepsi Natural. It was good, but pretty much the same exact taste.

You mean Pepsi Throwback? I didn't think they were allowed to call it "natural" because it was argued that technically corn syrup is "natural".

And I had cane sugar coke in the Caribbean, and it made the best Rum and Coke. I can't even drink the regular stuff any more.
    But in general I've banned soda from my diet, with the exception of the occasional diet soda (maybe once a week at a party).

Also, I had thought the idea was that corn isn't completely bad for you, but when everything you eat has corn in it, that is bad for you. So lessening the amount of corn in general is probably a good idea.

Selner on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I can get behind the whole "avoid corn for a week" thing because even though it will have no effect on the corn industry ideologically, the crop is pervasive enough that I could use a nutritional break from it.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Plus the headaches and bad aftertaste.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    brorsteinbrorstein Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's actually kind of easy (albeit more expensive) if you have a food co-op or farmer's market nearby. Even many pre-packaged things at our co-op avoid corn ingredients.

edit: the HFCS/real sugar in soda debate - I don't drink enough to be a connoisseur, but Orangina in France has sugar and in the US it has HFCS, and it's definitely tastier in France.

brorstein on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't think I eat that much corn as it is, outside of tortilla chips.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    gigEsmallsgigEsmalls __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    HFCS is in everything!! It's in bread, spaghetti sauce, hot fudge and Orangina!! It's so damn hard to find good products that don't have HFCS nor MSG. Buying similar products from Whole Foods is expensive. Thank goodness for Trader Joe's :)

gigEsmalls on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Mblackwell wrote: »

Plus the headaches and bad aftertaste.
    See I don't get those.

Also I don't get what people have against chemical sweetners. Like, you do realize that "natural" sweetners are just a bunch of chemical compounds? In fact frequently just sucrose.

I prefer the ones which don't go charging into my pancreas and give me diabetes and fatness. Or coat my teeth with sugar residue.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ironically, you could make an ideological argument for allowing corn on the cob during your corn free week.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    And plus a lot of extra chemicals. Chemical sweeteners are the only thing worse than corn syrup.

Ya that aspartame shit is nasty.

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well, not all chemicals are created equal. I however, am fully in favor of drinking diet soda since I've been diabetic for the past 23 years, and have never had a problem with taste, or headaches.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's not that hard to eliminate most HFCS from your diet, you just have to avoid sodas, cook a lot of stuff yourself (I use arrowroot starch instead of cornstarch), and get bread from a bakery or a grocery store that has a decent bakery.

Like the lady said in that blog, it'd be pretty hard for me to eliminate corn from the food chain that ends in me as I like beef, milk, pork, chicken, and eggs. I also don't particularly care that the things I eat, eat corn.

I'd like to see what happened if we eliminated the corn subsidy and repealed the sugar tariff. Perhaps then I could find hamburger and hot dog buns that didn't have HFCS. Dinner rolls don't quite cut it.

I don't really know if it is bad for you per se, but I avoid HFCS just like I avoid most processed food: because it strikes me as an extremely engineered product for a foodstuff, and something about that seems wrong for me to subsist on. I got much more interested in what I eat after I had a kid and had to think a lot about what to feed him, and thus what to feed myself.

Djeet on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Ironically, you could make an ideological argument for allowing corn on the cob during your corn free week.

As Mitch Hedberg pointed out, I'm not sure why people call it corn on the cob. That's the way it comes out of the ground, that's corn. Shouldn't everything else be called corn off the cob?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well, not all chemicals are created equal. I however, am fully in favor of drinking diet soda since I've been diabetic for the past 23 years, and have never had a problem with taste, or headaches.

Just about all diet soda is sweetened with aspartame. And just an fyi, from that study I linked:
    Our study shows that APM is a multi-potential carcinogenic compound whose carcinogenic effects are evident even at a daily dose of 20 mg/kg bw, much less than the current ADI for humans in Europe (40 mg/kg bw) and in the United States (50 mg/kg bw).
    The results of carcinogenicity bioassays in rodents are consistent predictors of human cancer risks (Huff 1999; Rall 1995; Tomatis et al. 1989). The results of our study therefore call for an urgent reexamination of the present guidelines on the use and consumption of APM. The decision to use experimental data to protect public health is important because the time span of widespread APM use is still too brief to have produced solid epidemiologic data. Moreover, it is unlikely that sufficient epidemiologic data will be available in the near future, given the difficulty of finding a control group that has not been exposed to this widely diffused compound.

So the equivalent of having a human drink 20 cans of soda or so. So they weren't giving them that huge of amounts like x1000 the dosage or anything.

And that study isn't an outlier either. There have also been studies showing that it increases chances for brain tumors and other brain related illnesses.

I'd rather have a can of soda with HFC over that nasty stuff. As far as I'm aware, sucralose (splenda) hasn't yet been linked to anything harmful in clinical studies so maybe that stuff is safer. But really who knows, they ram this stuff through the FDA before it's really tested.

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I don't really drink soda, but 20 cans a day sounds like a lot.

I do get a little sucralose as my drink of preference is 1 part splenda sweetened juice diluted in 6 parts water. Thinking about just switching that back to diluted "natural" juice though.

Djeet on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    <snippy snip>

So the equivalent of having a human drink 20 cans of soda or so. So they weren't giving them that huge of amounts like x1000 the dosage or anything.

And that study isn't an outlier either. There have also been studies showing that it increases chances for brain tumors and other brain related illnesses.

I'd rather have a can of soda with HFC over that nasty stuff. As far as I'm aware, sucralose (splenda) hasn't yet been linked to anything harmful in clinical studies so maybe that stuff is safer. But really who knows, they ram this stuff through the FDA before it's really tested.

20 cans of soda is still a ridiculous amount. I drink diet soda all day long and still only consume about 48-60 oz per day, or four/five cans.

Anything in ridiculous quantities is probably a carcinogen.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    geckahn wrote: »
    Its easy to not have corn. Or sugar. It's pretty much my normal diet, minus tortilla chips and the like once bi-weekly soda.

of course to really get rid of sugar you also can't drink alcohol, which is harder. but I've also done that for extended amount of times.

My regular diet doesn't consist of any corn syrup at all. So I would say it is easy. I don't drink any soda what so ever and haven't for years. Honestly I just don't eat much of anything that is heavily processed.

Then again I am assuming that we are not counting 'eating corn' as 'eating farm animals that have been fed corn'.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    geckahn wrote: »

My regular diet doesn't consist of any corn syrup at all. So I would say it is easy. I don't drink any soda what so ever and haven't for years. Honestly I just don't eat much of anything that is heavily processed.

Then again I am assuming that we are not counting 'eating corn' as 'eating farm animals that have been fed corn'.

I wouldn't say it's easy. It's very doable, but if you think it doesn't take any work and you don't prepare every single piece of food you eat yourself then you're probably not as corn-free as you think. If you stop by a pizza joint for a slice? You're probably eating HFCS, in the tomato sauce and maybe the dough. If your orange juice has added vitamin C in the form of ascorbic acid (pretty much any OJ you'll buy in a store or restaurant unless it's fresh-squeezed), you're drinking corn. It's everywhere, even in foods that don't appear to be overly-processed.

[edit] Are you talking about corn in general or just corn syrup? Cutting out HFCS is relatively easy, but corn in general (or even just regular corn syrup of the non-HF variety) takes a lot more effort (see the article in the OP).

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I should add that I wouldn't expect a ton of difficulty going corn free. I would probably have a harder time going free from any Cow derived/provided product. And that is strictly because I love cheese. Not drinking sodas in years when I am content with coffee and tea, and generally preferring not to eat out helps a ton. I am just still somewhat surprised by how far reaching corn is, as a product.

I am still curious if there are any comparable ingredients. Is this the same across the globe? (That is, how much is influenced by the local industries?)

taeric on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2009
    Chanus wrote: »
    <snippy snip>

20 cans of soda is still a ridiculous amount. I drink diet soda all day long and still only consume about 48-60 oz per day, or four/five cans.

I don't think I could drink 20 sodas in a day if I was trying. I'd probably become nauseated after the first five or so, since that basically amounts to a couple per waking hour.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    There's a lot of wheat and wheat-derived food components made, as evidenced by how gluten is in so many foodstuffs.

Rice is also a pretty big grain world-consumption-wise, though I'm not sure how much is used for feed (other then brewer's rice for pet food).

I'd expect grains and grain derivitives to play a big part in food-making, since they're you know, edible and renewable.

Edit: That last part maybe sounded like a crack, it wasn't meant to. Just that if you need something to serve as a binder or filler in food, you're likely to use whatever grain-derived stuff that's cheapest that might fit the bill. In the U.S. that's corn. Developing something synthetic that would do the same would probably be quite costly.

Djeet on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Djeet wrote: »
    There's a lot of wheat and wheat-derived food components made, as evidenced by how gluten is in so many foodstuffs.

Rice is also a pretty big grain world-consumption-wise, though I'm not sure how much is used for feed (other then brewer's rice for pet food).

I'd expect grains and grain derivitives to play a big part in food-making, since they're you know, edible and renewable.

Edit: That last part maybe sounded like a crack, it wasn't meant to. Just that if you need something to serve as a binder or filler in food, you're likely to use whatever grain-derived stuff that's cheapest that might fit the bill. In the U.S. that's corn. Developing something synthetic that would do the same would probably be quite costly.

I guess that is my mental block on this. I don't equate corn to being the same as rice and wheat. They are definitely comparable, though. A related question, I think, is what exactly is the staple of food in the US? I think of staples, and I think rice/beans/etc. Instead, it seems most folks over here should count big mac and such.

taeric on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    <snippy snip>

I don't think I could drink 20 sodas in a day if I was trying. I'd probably become nauseated after the first five or so, since that basically amounts to a couple per waking hour.

You hit a point where you go from feeling unhealthy to feeling . . . toxic.

I love soda, and I've explored that threshold thoroughly.

Speaker on
  • Options
    CheezyCheezy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've been doing this all summer, actually--including things like cornfed animals and byproducts. The first week or two, pretty much all I ate was beans, rice, and vegetables. I've been eating more wildcaught fish, though. It's really not that difficult, you just have to buy things as unprocessed as possible.

Cheezy on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Cheezy wrote: »
    I've been doing this all summer, actually--including things like cornfed animals and byproducts. The first week or two, pretty much all I ate was beans, rice, and vegetables. I've been eating more wildcaught fish, though. It's really not that difficult, you just have to buy things as unprocessed as possible.

Is this something you switched to? If so, do you feel like you are getting healthier? (Any numbers to throw in to support?)

taeric on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Geez I thought I was a soda fiend and usually I can only manage four a day, and that's during finals season when I pound them back for essays.

Still this sounds like an interesting experiment, though it should be easy enough for someone who's got a broad appetite and knows how to cook.

Rust on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »

So, you're usually awake for two hours per day? =P

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Rust wrote: »
    Geez I thought I was a soda fiend and usually I can only manage four a day, and that's during finals season when I pound them back for essays.

Still this sounds like an interesting experiment, though it should be easy enough for someone who's got a broad appetite and knows how to cook.

What experiment? You mean drinking 20 a day to see if it gives you cancer? o_O

Darkchampion3d on
  • Options
    SparserLogicSparserLogic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I live almost entirely without corn. I cook all my food and don't buy anything with corn syrup or any other corn by products.

But I'm lucky enough to have an income that lets me purchase the food I want to purchase.

SparserLogic on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Do you live in the United States and drive a car/motorcycle that runs on gasoline anywhere? If so, you most likely do not live almost entirely without corn. The rabbit hole goes very deep.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    GungHo wrote: »
    Do you live in the United States and drive a car/motorcycle that runs on gasoline anywhere? If so, you most likely do not live almost entirely without corn. The rabbit hole goes very deep.

I ride a bicycle to work!

I WIN CORN INDUSTRY!!! HAHAHA...

at least until this weekend when I drive 280 miles

Darkchampion3d on