As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video on LCD TV issue

blizzard224blizzard224 Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay, hopefully this is something with a really simple solution, so I'll try keep it short.

I plug my laptop into my Sony LCD TV with a HDMI cable and use it to watch movies/anime and the like. I use MPC and VLC depending of file type, and have a fairly large smattering of different video codecs (K-Lite, CCCP, Real Alternative), so I doubt it's codec related ( I am a bit of an idiot when it comes to these things, I was actually considering if maybe I have too many of them or something).
Anyway, when playing video files through the Television, I get these very annoying... scan lines, I guess you'd call them. Sort of like what you used to get on an old video cassette where a thin line runs from the top to the bottom of the screen slowly. From what I can tell, they come more when there's a lot of movement on the screen, and they do not appear on the laptop screen itself (I run in duplicate mode on Nvidia control panel thingy). They occur probably once every 10 seconds ish (big ish)

I have never noticed these when watching DVDs/TVs or blu-rays without the laptop.

Anyway, any help would me muchoes appreciated. Getting really annoying, it's one of those things that once you notice you can't stop paying attention to, 'tis driving me nuts. :P

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
blizzard224 on

• MisterGrokMisterGrok Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This sounds like a refresh rate or resolution problem. What resolutions and refresh rates do your tv support vs. what is set for your tv on your laptop?

Technical specs on your laptop and a model of tv would help in this situation.

MisterGrok on
    GamerTag: aintnodancer
  • eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It also could be the jitter correction kicking in, try turning the TV onto game mode.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png