As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Webcomic reviews?

falconirefalconire Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm wondering if there are any sites that do reviews for webcomics? Or for that matter is there anyone here with a blog that would be willing to do a review?

falconire on

• Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, Artist's Corner does just that: reviews and discusses user made art.

Like it did for you. You didn't want to take the advice, and refused to consider that you aren't that great(in fact, you're pretty fucking horrible) and might actually have to do some work to improve your shit.

Even if you find a website and/or blog that reviews webcomics specifically you are going to hear the exact same shit people were telling you over in AC. Your artwork is horrible and lacking the basic elements necessary to not induce ocular bleeding, and your humor is nonexistant at best, infuriating at worst.

I realize that this isn't a particularly helpful post, but help has repeatedly been offerred to this idiot and he is too full of himself to take it. I'll probably get jailed/banned for this post, but I don't care. Do a search of falconire's topics and you'll see that this was justified.

Sami on
  • Options
    Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I don't know of any websites like this, and I hope what Im about to do isn't thread shitting, but Im going to offer my complete and honest critique of your comic.

It needs work. That's putting it nicely. As an average reader, I can only give you my impression of it. Its not funny, the art is awful to the point of distracting the reader and often causes confusion.

The characters are bland and unoriginal. You have the standard straightman and the standard 'crazy' guy. You should try moving past that if you want to make a good comic. For instance, Gabe and Tycho. Gabe is the crazy one, tychos the straightman. Gabe in recent strips has been spiraling into average crazy, stupid, guy territory and it shows. Its not a good thing, but the comics still get laughs because the jokes are funny.

Your jokes are simply not funny. Im sorry if that sounds mean, but to me the average reader, the jokes just dont do anything for me. Its not that I dont get them, they aren't "out there" or deep or complicated, they just aren't funny. You need to rework them. If you think I'm being unfair, post a few of your favorite comics, a few that you think stand out amoungst the rest and I will give you my honest impression of them. I will be fair, if they tickle me, I will let you know. But if they are stagnant and lifeless jokes I will tell you why.

But then again, I'm just an average guy. You don't have to trust me, or anyone else on these boards. And you don't have to go to any lenghts to defend your work to someone you don't know. Im just trying to offer a little help.

I'm sorry if this was mean, and I hope it wasn't completely off topic. You were asking for a review and I gave you one.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Like it did for you. You didn't want to take the advice, and refused to consider that you aren't that great(in fact, you're pretty fucking horrible) and might actually have to do some work to improve your shit.

Even if you find a website and/or blog that reviews webcomics specifically you are going to hear the exact same shit people were telling you over in AC. Your artwork is horrible and lacking the basic elements necessary to not induce ocular bleeding, and your humor is nonexistant at best, infuriating at worst.

I realize that this isn't a particularly helpful post, but help has repeatedly been offerred to this idiot and he is too full of himself to take it. I'll probably get jailed/banned for this post, but I don't care. Do a search of falconire's topics and you'll see that this was justified.

As I stated before I have taken peoples advise from numerous threads. However I don't take advise from jackasses who just talk shit. Dispite the fact that you don't like it I've a good amount of readers who do. I actually get a lot of complements on the art and humor, although I admit that not everyone gets it and that's fine. So complain all you like but realize I asked about reviews to get opinions from other people other than just you.

falconire on
  • Options
    Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Just a quick question....

These compliments on the art and humor... where are they? I read your forums, all 5 posts and spotted none.

Except from some guy who was running your forums.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    falconire wrote:

As I stated before I have taken peoples advise from numerous threads. However I don't take advise from jackasses who just talk shit. Dispite the fact that you don't like it I've a good amount of readers who do. I actually get a lot of complements on the art and humor, although I admit that not everyone gets it and that's fine. So complain all you like but realize I asked about reviews to get opinions from other people other than just you.

You have gotten opinions from people other than me. I've read all the threads here, and guess what?! None of them are positive. I know you desperately seek approval for this "webcomic" you put out, but you will search long and hard before you find any. OR, you could follow the advice of the extremely talented people over @ AC, make your shit a non-repulsive experience, and you will get that approval much faster, and it will be more honest.

But of course, I have an opinion different from your preconceived ideas about the quality of your work, so what do I know?

Sami on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    You want truthful, honest reviews? I really don't think you do.

Tough shit.

Your comic is absolute cuntsmear, and you are a big massive twat for defending it so staunchly.

There.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    www.fleen.com
    www.comixpedia.com
    www.websnark.com

plus that furry site that shits over every comic that doesn't involve horse cock.

They're all going to tell you the same thing, though. If they even bother responding.

tynic on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    You have gotten opinions from people other than me. I've read all the threads here, and guess what?! None of them are positive. I know you desperately seek approval for this "webcomic" you put out, but you will search long and hard before you find any. OR, you could follow the advice of the extremely talented people over @ AC, make your shit a non-repulsive experience, and you will get that approval much faster, and it will be more honest.

But of course, I have an opinion different from your preconceived ideas about the quality of your work, so what do I know?

I wasn't just pointing out the thread here, although you haven't read them all since I did get positive responces. You know, the only thing I can say to you to go suck a dick. I seriously doubt you could do anything better and it boggles my mind why you have nothing better to do that harass me about my comic than say, having a life. Seriously. You talk the talk, but that's all it is dude.

falconire on
  • Options
    Penguin-FactoryPenguin-Factory Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Um.... okay, I don't post here often, but I feel I need to say something about this.

Falconaire, do you actually like your web comic? I'm asking this because I have a comic I want to make some day too. I could just do it now, but I like the characters and story too much to ruin it with amateurish art. That's why I'm working on the basics every day to improve.

Why aren't you doing the same thing? You've been told numerous times that your art and writing are terrible. If you actually like your comic and want other people to like it, take the advice you've been receiving.

Penguin-Factory on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Man, you're not looking for reviews, you're looking for advertising. "Reviews" honestly evaluate the quality of your product (good ones do, anyway). "Advertising" talks about how good it is. You don't want honest evaluations; you want someone to talk about how good it is. In your case, you're going to have to pay someone to do that.

You don't even go through the trouble to spell-check your comic. I mean, really, you want me to go through effort to read it? Exert a bare minimum of effort when you put it together.

Also, using internet shortcuts in your dialogue isn't clever, nor funny. It just breaks any sort of immersion into the comic the reader may experience. It makes it harder to put voices or life into the characters in the reader's own mind. In short, it's a terrible idea.

Buh-bye.

Thanatos on
This discussion has been closed.