Options

Leapin' Through Time

2»

• Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    best thing about quantum leap was al's ziggy communicator

i made one out of lego as a wee lad

If the internet were real I'd run up and kiss you because I did the same thing :mrgreen:

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I watched the entire first season of Quantum Leap on Hulu while at work last week.

A shame they don't have the second season. This show is great.

As a kid I always remembered my parents watching it, but it came on right as I was going to bed so very often the last thing I'd hear before going to sleep was the theme song. Awwww.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    There are a couple episodes I remember specifically

One was where Sam leaped into the body of a dude with Down's Syndrome and saved a kid's life with CPR

The other is where he leaped into the body of some criminal/serial killer who then broke loose from the containment room in the future and Al had to track him down.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Time Squad was awesome simply because Mark Hamill's motivation for creating the voice of Larry 3000 was to literally be a gayer robot then C-3PO.

Hunter on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Lib1.jpg

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Al used to brutalize that hand held controller. Don't like the answer. SMACK!

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The last episode of Quantum Leap is one of the best episodes of TV ever shown.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hey you know what was a really good show that got canceled because everyone assumed it was a rip-off of Quantum Leap even though it was very much its own thing and fantastic?

Journeyman.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I love Quatum Leap. Would watch it with my mom when it came on. The time travel wasn't even really anything but was a nice little hook. I tend to hum the theme song when I'm walking around and i say oh boy when I look at myself in the mirror.

There was this show that came out recently called Journey Man that is kinda like it. Its on Hulu now

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Hey you know what was a really good show that got canceled because everyone assumed it was a rip-off of Quantum Leap even though it was very much its own thing and fantastic?

Journeyman.

jptimgt.gif

Top of the page?

What the fuck...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XBwWAu2a5U

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    What was the deal with the people Sam leaped into? I remember a couple episodes that in the future the leaped person would be in a cell and waiting for Sam to complete whatever. But it didn't seem like that was always the case. What does the person think once the leap occurs again?

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    What was the deal with the people Sam leaped into? I remember a couple episodes that in the future the leaped person would be in a cell and waiting for Sam to complete whatever. But it didn't seem like that was always the case. What does the person think once the leap occurs again?

The personality of the person he leaps into transfers into his body. They're usually sitting around some kind of holding room in the future.

They don't ever get into lots of detail about it but once in awhile they mention the person either freaking out, being sad, confused, etc... They sit down and explain what's going on and when the leap happens, they transfer back, usually aware of what has taken place because they've been kept up to date. Usually.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i liked when Sam leaped into Al's body

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    DrZiplock wrote: »

The personality of the person he leaps into transfers into his body. They're usually sitting around some kind of holding room in the future.

They don't ever get into lots of detail about it but once in awhile they mention the person either freaking out, being sad, confused, etc... They sit down and explain what's going on and when the leap happens, they transfer back, usually aware of what has taken place because they've been kept up to date. Usually.

So it will be a "Sam" body in the future? When Sam first leaped his body actually just stayed there? Yikes and because you said that I just realized its basically just Beckett's soul or whatever taveling

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Pretty much, yeah.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    They used to show Quantum Leap right after The Fresh Prince here a few years ago.
    Damn fine television.

ascot on
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So if Sam jumped into a woman's body and had sex with a guy, how would that feel to both parties?

I mean yeah, the guy would feel a vagina because its only Sam's personality jumping into the body, but would Sam feel penis in his body's vagina?

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    scarlet blvd.scarlet blvd. Bebop Cola Goooood!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man, they introduced the waiting room thing in the 5th season, the episode with the serial killer. Netflix has most of seasons 1-5 but some episodes are missing, namely the episode that explains the goddamn waiting room. I was hella confused.

Bediguns, shut the hell up.

Like I said, Netflix has seasons 1-5, and they are all on instant play, so check it out if you can

edit: Speaking of season 5, that's when they started with their new snazzy intro music. Personally I liked the older intro

scarlet blvd. on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    blvd, you should stop leaving your xbox on when you presumably pass out after watching hours of quantum leap

ascot on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    They mention the waiting room or something like is several times in the first season.

And yes, Sam has jumped into a woman's body, at least once. In the first season it was the body of a young, blonde receptionist at a major car company...50s era, I think.

Al had a real hard time with it because he was seeing his best friend in a body of a woman that he wanted to jump the bones of.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I guess I don't remember that... oh well

Haha, those were good episodes, Al kept hitting on Sam, and he needed therapy to cope with it

scarlet blvd. on
  • Options
    cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    fuck yeah quantum leap. loved the show, but damn i had to put up with a lot of people telling me about the strong resemblence i bear to mr. bakula.

cadmunky on
    5955603848_aed2690084.jpg
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action"
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Sam doesn't leap into their body, aka it's not his soul leaping its actually him. The show explains it as a residual aura that surrounds Sam and the person who he's leaped in to that makes them appear as someone else.

Case-in-point -- One time he lept in to a crippled Vietnam Vet who had no legs. Later in the episode Sam is walking around and in the mirror you see the person he lept in to "hovering" over the ground.

The person who switches places with Sam is held in a holding cell, and they suffer a similar "swiss cheese" effect to their mind and memory that Sam suffered the first time he jumped in the pilot. So when they leap back they probably remember very little of the future and if anything at all they would think it was a very odd and vivid dream.

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I saw the beginning of that one from a previous episode, but netflix, the bastards, decided to make it disk only.

scarlet blvd. on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Balefuego wrote: »
    for some reason the one episode of Freakazoid I always remember is the one where they "censor" all the fight scenes and just show like an aquarium or butterflies and shit.

and then they play the theme from "a summer place"

dooooooooo

doo doo doo doooooooooooo

do doo doo dooooooooooooooooo

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Sam doesn't leap into their body, aka it's not his soul leaping its actually him. The show explains it as a residual aura that surrounds Sam and the person who he's leaped in to that makes them appear as someone else.

Case-in-point -- One time he lept in to a crippled Vietnam Vet who had no legs. Later in the episode Sam is walking around and in the mirror you see the person he lept in to "hovering" over the ground.

The person who switches places with Sam is held in a holding cell, and they suffer a similar "swiss cheese" effect to their mind and memory that Sam suffered the first time he jumped in the pilot. So when they leap back they probably remember very little of the future and if anything at all they would think it was a very odd and vivid dream.

wasn't there one time a dude was in the holding place and tried to break out or something

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    MagicPrime wrote: »

wasn't there one time a dude was in the holding place and tried to break out or something

Yeah, he was a crazy killer. Sam was holed up in some house with the hostages the guy had taken prior to the leap. I think his mission in that one was to make sure the killer dude didn't die in the standoff.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    And Al had to go and find the escaped killer.

Also, I think back during a panel or something at a convention someone brought up the thing about what Al sees when he's in the Observation Room, and Bellisario said that after the first instance of Al being enamored with Sam's jumping into a female Gushi re-synched their brainwave patterns so that Al could really see Sam.

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    Gatsby wrote: »
    so is talking about time travel in general in this thread cool

because

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2lrPc7c65I

TDOT I love you so much for this. Time Squad is probably what got me into history and giving thumbs up all the time.

Also Quantum Leap is a damn fine show and I frequently have to prove this to the people I know and love. Seriously, what's not to love about this programme?

When I interviewed Mark Hamill he said that Anthony Daniels congratulated him on being able to portray a robot even gayer than C-3PO.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fuck yes. This is a pro thread, Bully. Quantum Leap and MacGyver back to back was the best two hours of television ever.

I just got the series on DVD a little while back and I'm almost done with it. The Vietnam episode with his brother is so good.

/edit/ The Geek is correct.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Also, this thread should be titled: Oh boy.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    How did this show end anyway? Still travelling through time or what?

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    "Sam never returned home."

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The Geek wrote: »

I said it before and I'll say it again, one of the best series closing episodes ever.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I said it before and I'll say it again, one of the best series closing episodes ever.

Bloody depressing though.

BoredGamer on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yes.

Though, it was also kind of touching I guess.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    BoredGamer wrote: »

Bloody depressing though.

No no.
    I'm pretty sure that award goes to The Wonder Years.

ascot on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I used to hate that final episode, it always made me cry as a kid. Now I think it's quite touching as well, and the thought that
    Sam Becket is still out there leaping through time putting right what once went wrong is nice

I've said it before, I was raised on shows like this that were very positive and good for kids to see and they just don't make shows like this any more.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png