As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Threadless submission - Jake's Thread

• Options
    Skelly BSkelly B Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    These photo/illustration pieces should be awesome after they're mounted in the way you describe. I assume the mat will be cut and the pictures will be underneath like a normal mat. It might be nice to emboss the illustrations or fade them a little; something that will make them slightly less crisp so they don't draw so much attention. I look at the illustrations first and spend a lot more time looking at them, but then again I'm not that into photography.

What's the process with the paper sculptures? It looks really great.

Skelly B on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    Second photo, definitely. I know the scene doesn't match as well, but the mood feels more consistent.

tynic on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm not digging on any of your cycling illustrations, really. they all seem pretty arbitrary, and I'd rather have either the photo or the drawing, not both in any of them.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    Mazer RackhamMazer Rackham __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    The tree one worked slightly because your eyes followed the lines of the trees and then when you got to the bottom it was suddenly like "Whoa!"

The second ones with the rocks don't really work too well, it just looks like two separate works of art and it confuses the viewer as to which they should be looking at. In fact, while the tree drawing could only go with that specific tree picture, those rocks could go with just about any picture that has rocks in it.

You have your mediums confused really. If you're going to do photographic work the focus should be entirely on the photo. Your frame should bring as little distraction as possible, which is why frames should always be boring. People want to look at your photo not the pretty frame.

If you really want to integrate illustrations into photographs then you're basically looking to do some aggressive photo shopping and graphic design type stuff for this to work, instead of merely pasting illustrations next to pictures. Either go big or go home.

Mazer Rackham on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    opposing pages in a journal, maybe?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You have your mediums confused really. If you're going to do photographic work the focus should be entirely on the photo. Your frame should bring as little distraction as possible, which is why frames should always be boring. People want to look at your photo not the pretty frame.

I agree with some of your crits, but I have to say that you're labeling (rather definitively at that) what can and can't be done with art. He obviously wants the focus to be on both the illustration and the photography, both of which are great, and he's obviously succeeded with the trees example as you stated. I just think the right balance needs to be had between the two is all.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I agree with some of your crits, but I have to say that you're labeling (rather definitively at that) what can and can't be done with art. He obviously wants the focus to be on both the illustration and the photography, both of which are great, and he's obviously succeeded with the trees example as you stated. I just think the right balance needs to be had between the two is all.

While I obviously appreciate crits, I agree with the response prospicience has already given. If the idea is crap, no worries. However, there's no rule anywhere that you can only display a photo framed, on a plain off-white mount, or hacked apart in photoshop.

Jake! on
  • Options
    JRobbinsJRobbins Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    At first I thought those were real. Awesome job!

JRobbins on
    Making the world a funnier place, one comic and punch-line at a time.

Maybe.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    wip astronaut

astro.jpg

Jake! on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    love all of this as usual
    i am bad at crits.
    'this art looks good!'

beavotron on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    beavo failed all her critology classes

and so did I because
    Jake! wrote: »
    Also, as an aside, some fairy lights;

lights.jpg

oh my god *gushing compliments*

Tam on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Thanks both.

Beav: in honesty and in fairness, here's a secret. Every time I open your thread, I think 'awesome,' and then fail to post anything :P

major-tom.jpg

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    ex1.jpg

ex2.jpg

ex3.jpg

Finally got my exhibition up. I ended up not printing the illustrations onto the mount due to time limitations, but they went down well. I've been told by the curator of the venue that this is their best exhibition to date, which is fantastic! I've sold some work too, which I'm happy about. Thanks for the crits guys.

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    In case anyone looks at this thread, I'm interested in hearing crits on this poster design. Specifically, I'm not sure about the placement of the top line (or if it should even be there), and if the person needs to be more prominent/less abstract.

hyrdogen3.jpg

Jake! on
  • Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You might want to try some different ideas with the person. Maybe less abstract like you said, or maybe moving him under the "turns into people" text. Maybe separate the electron from the nucleus more, as well?

I love it as is though, I'd put it on my wall!

Agentflit on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, it's great as it is, but if you can find a way to really nail the figure(s) it'll be fantastic. Apart from that I can't see much to criticise. Good stuff! :^:

Flay on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Agentflit wrote: »
    maybe moving him under the "turns into people" text.

I love it as is though, I'd put it on my wall!

Awesome idea. I think I'll do that.

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    4141113209_36847147ea_o.jpg

is the baby too subtle?

Jake! on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    yeah, I think it might be. I don't think I would have noticed it if you hadn't mentioned it.

Food on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Depends on the context of where it's being viewed. It's too subtle for the average passer-by to notice it, but perfect if you intend for people to look at it for a few moments.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I stared at it for a moment and didn't notice it until I read "is the baby too subtle," and looked at it again.

Its small, and vague at first glance. It only reads as a baby if its pointed out, and if you have to point it out, it loses all subtlety and meaning.

That being said, now that I recognize it as a human baby, I feel like its in the way. Like unnecessary clutter. I'm wondering if trying to draw a visible reference to the "turns into people" thing is really required in the first place. Ya know?

I was pretty fine with the one you posted just before. Then I gave it a second look and saw that you made a similar attempt to subtlety incorporate a vague human form in the same spot. Only it was more styled, and harder to read.

I really don't think its entirely necessary for you illustrate the human form into this piece. I could be wrong though. It may be that trying to incorporate it in a "subtle" way is the problem. It doesn't really have to be subtle to mesh with the text, or the tone of the piece.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    i liked it as an adult, abstract human form a bit better
    simply because fetuses are such friggen loaded images
    all i could think of was "abortion" when i looked at it which i don't think is the impression you're trying to get.

but i mean... i just finished 4 months of intro to visual culture, so my views on this sort of thing are totally warped by ridiculousness.

love the design of it so far though :)

beavotron on
  • Options
    BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The whole fetus image/abortion angle didn't even occur to me. It still doesn't draw a correlation when I look at it though.

Its still a valid, and potentially volatile comparison that the viewer could easily make. Beavo is right by pointing out that its a loaded image/topic, that carries its own set of issues to say the least. And not ones that you necessarily want to incorporate into your piece.

I'm still debating whether you need an image representing the human form at all, to get the images message across.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The first thing I saw was a baby and thought "well that's not too subtle. . ." - I like the first one because it ISNT obvious, but I suppose if that is what you are going for.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    the weirdo bubble headed person was waayyy cooler looking
    i would buy this though

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    adult one was much better, and warped ridiculousness or not, fetuses totally are loaded with extra symbolism.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I like both pieces, they are so different in tone that that they could maybe work as a diptych. But yeah, I agree with nixing the fetus.

Agentflit on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    hmm... Out of interest, where are the people from who think foetus = abortion? I'm guessing the US and perhaps Canada? I don't think it has the same connotation here at all, although I could be wrong.

Anyway cheers guys, you've given me lots to think about!

Jake! on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    yeah, probably a regional thing, it just makes me think 2001. But (possibly for that reason), I prefer the adult. If anything, that was subtler, but also made the mood/message feel stronger, somehow.

tynic on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm from Canada so yes regional factors apply
    also fine arts school where they bombard us with "if you're going to use that you'd better understand that to some people it means this"

beavotron on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm from the Mid West in North America, and someone who thinks abortion should only be done in extreme circumstances (this isn't to start a debate, just to let you know where i'm coming from) and I didn't get abortion at all from that second picture. Life yes. Abortion no.

That said, I think the first picture is much stronger. I think it might have to do with how the guy seems connected to the picture where the baby seems dislocated from it. Also, the text seems placed better in the first one. The bolder text and the "History of the Universe" title made me laugh hard where I just sort of shrugged at the much quieter way the second one reads.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I think I'm going to stick with the foetus to see if I can make it work. Slight tweek to make it less 'aborty';

4148211756_93ea77c07c_o.jpg

Jake! on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh, i think the cord really pulls the picture together. I'm still not thrilled with the words though... its something that is phrased to be humorous but with the small size of the lettering seems like it is being whispered in awe.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    i think it needed that history of the universe line as well.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    man i like how the text at the bottom is almost an aside
    it's different and it works (for me anyways)

beavotron on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I like the small text. this feels like a poster for an event, but I don't know if that's what you're going for. I'd definitely consider putting it on my wall if it had color involved. I like it without color as an image, but it kind of looks like a flier right now. it'd take seeing it full size to know, but even so, a black/white poster would be hard to pull off with at least some grays/depth involved. it feels very graphic and flat.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    you know what i think would give it some kick?
    if instead of pure black you went for a warm grey
    warm grey always looks so classy to me

beavotron on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Mmmmm, warm grey :)

DeeLock on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, I'm really liking where you've taken it, but I don't think the super contrast black+white is working as well as something else could.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Warm grey? Can grey be warm? I call shennanigans on you beavotron! If that is your real name.

Mustang on