As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Threadless submission - Jake's Thread

• Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    That's kind of hard to parse. But I'm not sure how you could improve it. Would it work to say "Every year in the United States, 58 times ...etc" ?

tynic on
  • Options
    NicNic Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There's also an extra "as" in there.
    It's a little awkward to read. Maybe try (assuming this is a yearly figure):
    "Take the number of lives lost in 2009 as a result of terrorism, and multiply it by 58.
    That's how many lives were lost in the United States due to lack of healthcare coverage."
    Even that's a bit long. Keep playing with it until you get something that's succinct.
    I like the design and concept though!

Nic on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    58 people die due to lack of healthcare for every single death due to terrorism.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    4251782191_8d4761911f_o.jpg

Does this read better? I was aware that the last one wasn't great, but hadn't realised simply how much of a pig's ear I'd made of it until now.

Jake! on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think the copy reads much better but I really think United States shouldn't be spread over two lines.

Not sure of the precise meaning of 'invade a hospital', it sort of derails the impact of your statement... Nice solid, design work otherwise, though.

Grenn on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I actually really like the Invade a hospital bit, it's a pretty powerful punchline...

MORE CUTE OWLS PLEASE

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    grenn: cheers, I'm going with US, which will bump the line. The last line either means, that invading a hospital makes more sense than going to war against terrorism. The other interpretation I guess is one of direct action, and that people should be invading for things like healthcare, rather than cheap oil, plastic, and shit like that. Not entirely sure myself on if it works, mind.

4252803608_37a3f0ea3a_o.jpg

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Jake! wrote: »
    grenn: cheers, I'm going with US, which will bump the line. The last line either means, that invading a hospital makes more sense than going to war against terrorism. The other interpretation I guess is one of direct action, and that people should be invading for things like healthcare, rather than cheap oil, plastic, and shit like that. Not entirely sure myself on if it works, mind.

Ah yeah, shortening to US is the obvious solution really - that'll do the trick.

Re. the 'invasion' tagline. It makes more sense with some explanation and I agree it's a strong, memorable sentiment but I think it's still a little vague in it's meaning. The first thing that came to my mind was that it was suggesting terrorists should attack hospitals!

There's a lot of good books about design as an effective tool for social change and a lot of designers believe that they actually have a social obligation to use design as a positive force. These newer statistical, message-focused pieces of yours tie right in with that. I think tightening up the copy and angle will turn this piece from good to great.

Perhaps 'Invade a hospital' could be the attention-grabbing opener, and then the next line comes after to back it up and provide clarity of the meaning?

Anyway, really enjoying your newer stuff!

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    4253015907_bc34fc0c1d_o.jpg

Man, this piece was supposed to be a quick doodle. Finally feel like I've worked the composition out to my liking.

4253810476_5751ac7ed6_o.jpg

Grenn: cheers, updated version. I'm going to ask more people to see how they interpret it, although I don't think many people associate 'invade' with 'terrorist'

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Jake! wrote: »
    Grenn: cheers, updated version. I'm going to ask more people to see how they interpret it, although I don't think many people associate 'invade' with 'terrorist'

In all honesty, it probably says more about me than it does the text.

Grenn on
  • Options
    Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Maybe Im being overly nitpicky because I like the idea you have there, but I personally find it distracting that there isnt a period after "care" and that the "i" in invasion isnt capitolised and there isnt a period after Hospital.

Things like that seem small but its like an e-mail you want someone to take seriously. If its intended to be a serious statement then it should have accurate spelling and grammar. Even in an ad where space is limited and messages are parced down to their barest bones.

Even with catch phrases like got milk and just do it the punctuation solidifies the statements. With just do it they dont always use a period but if you look at a series of images where they do and dont I find in general the ones where they do look more complete and compelling.

Love the mountain goat one.

Faded_Sneakers on
    Instagram: fadedsneakers
  • Options
    Daniel_ArayaDaniel_Araya Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    i'm a fan

Daniel_Araya on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    those mountain goats remind me of dresden codak

Tam on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    4256440214_0e21153384_o.jpg

Faded: I see what you're saying, but they're all considered typographical choices (the only dubious one is the lower-case 'i', but that's an aesthetic choice). You don't need periods when you're dealing with single, discreet sentences.

Tam: I've also still not completely done with this bugger (although I think I'm now finally happy).

edit: actually nevermind, I've found it. This is some awesome stuff.

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Need to give this one a break until I decide on the final colours, methinks.

4256834475_0c43878f0d_o.jpg

4257594398_504b26905f_o.jpg

Jake! on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I like the first one better.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Thanks man, i think I'm going to stick with that one.

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hi guys, I'm making a strip for the children of a couple of friends. The art is obviously copy-paste-tastic right now. I'm really though if anyone has any input on the story element, as this is something I've never tried before.

thanks!

VgcKA.png

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    some of the elements don't make any sense to me...one of them appears to have hydrolics and the other surprisingly turns invisible, but to the left of where it was initially, and I can't tell if the last text bubble is a smiley or just some weird character (because the colon is so low in comparison).

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The weirdness of this is what I like about it the most.

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I should mention I guess that I'm still only looking for writing crits really; the missing bits aren't invisible, they're missing.

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    tdY4u.jpg

Ok, so all the major elements are now in at some level.

Jake! on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'd recommend making the dialogue itself larger. Its a bit hard to read on my screen.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It'll be printed at a2, so that shouldn't be an issue!
    69Dw4.jpg

Illustrator is being a dick and fucking up the colours in PS. I'm calling it a night. I need to adjust the charater positioning a little too.

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I think this would be more effective without the, 'Oh', 'and thats what matters', and the 'oh yeah!' Also I wasnever a fan of the sudden whipping things out from nowhere like in panel 3, then it dissappears again, also I get that he's got glow fish but what is it, a like, like how they put butterflies in frames?? I adore the colours of the fauna and the cave design though, totes awesome.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Thanks, hopefully this reads better:

izbRj.jpg
    The glow fish are inside his torso

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Oh, that is waayy better, I get that is in his belly now. Didn't realize they were underwater untill I squinted to read the text in the bottom right hand, and that light cyan wash over them gives the impression way more, but whats prolly making it look like air is that the fish are bugs. Thought they were just doing robo-flying-wooshes. Still prefer the writing from the first one, not sure if you need the 'woosh' or the 'splash splash'. Looks way better though, really coming along, kid will love it!

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I was once told off by my Physics teacher for using the phrase "Water and electricity don't mix."

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    not sure if this is dark enough for the quote;

mMipZ.png

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well it's absurd enough for the quote. Speaking of which, quotation marks. And who said it?

Nic on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I really like the concept, but like you said it doesn't feel dark enough for the quote. I'd like to see it with death drawn more realistically. Also I think the vivid pink in the antennae draws attention away from the color bars.

edit: and by 'realistically' I pretty much just mean proportion-wise.

Food on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ahhh the Grim Test-pattern...we meet again.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Mustang: beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

Nic: The main purpose of quote marks is to separate a quote from the main body of text. As there's no main body of text, there's no particular need for them.

4280913461_b9f74905c6_o.jpg

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Only suggestion I have is harder to put into words, so here's a mock-up example:
    4wbpZ.jpg

I did it sorta quick, but if you like that, and can incorporate it without making the text too hard to read, I think it'd be a good idea. Sort of like death and the television have traded faces. Maye vector the skull yourself and not steal it from google like I did.

Or for that matter, overlay the skull on Death's test pattern, and see if that works.

Nic on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I actually tried the skull on the test pattern, but I didn't like how it turned out. I might see if I can get it into the TV really subtly, but I don't know. Thanks for the ideas though.

I made this for a friend who wanted to know why I've already seen most of the links she gets off Digg.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_DHzf3JtmqVM/S1OiUFxXvzI/AAAAAAAAAEs/Za_MXo3_2_Q/s1600-h/narwhallnobubble.jpg

sSHZQ.jpg

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    That is brilliant!
    Also another suggestion re: the death poster:
    Maybe darken the surrounding, then put a spotlight on death, and make some neat glow effects for his scythe/aerial receiver thing. I think it'd make it a bit more dynamic.

Nic on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    7NY6e.jpg

Did this as a favour to a friend. The hair needs some work.

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    echo...

anyway, I've just submitted a design to threadless. I'd really appreciate it if you guys voted for it!

252347.jpg

you can vote here!

Jake! on