As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Super Cross Forum Project? Why not

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    adam do douglas' script or you're fired

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well, are you going to show me what I'm working with, or am I supposed to visualize the script with my overactive imagination?

Curse you and your contagious use of italics.

earthwormadam on
    edited September 2009
    dangit he is supposed to PM you his script

he is so slow

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Oh hey look at that cool stuff in my inbox. It's good and leases a lot of room for atistic freedom which is also good.

The only thing I think it needs is more lines from the Luchador that are spoken in Spanish. I'll start thumbnailing and concept sketching soon though.

earthwormadam on
    edited September 2009
    don't worry about the dialogue just yet

I am making douglas write that shit out for me

so the dialogue you have is temporary

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited September 2009
    okie doke

EDIT - Just finished a quick first pass at conceptualizing the wrestler, werewolf, robots and vampire. I'll post something once I hammer out some of the details and refine things a bit. Also I'll do some environment stuff too.

earthwormadam on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wow, this is exciting. Sorry about the delay. I finished it around midnight on Friday, but the forums were giving me database errors for an hour, so I went to bed. Woke up and went car shopping, other stuff, spent time with the wife (we work different shifts now, it is awful), etc.

I wasn't sure about the Spanish stuff, to be honest. I don't want this being too goofy. I mean the Silver Age stuff with him being an almost Captain America/Superman/Captain Marvel level of pure goodness is already kind of goofy, and then there is the ridiculous villain at the end and the werewolf in a singlet and everything... I don't want the protagonist-- who desperately needs a name-- to be dopier than he already is.

Throwing "si senor satélite" in there may be too much. I want the story to be fun and... wholesome. I don't want it to be a "send-up" or a farce/parody.

DouglasDanger on
    edited September 2009
    Yeah that's cool. I just thought some random spanish lines might spice things up tis all.

So is this dude ever gonna take his mask off because it's gonna be kinda hard to establish him as Mexican, let alone clean cut and 30 years old if he doesn't.

earthwormadam on
    edited September 2009
    Yeah that's cool. I just thought some random spanish lines might spice things up tis all.

So is this dude ever gonna take his mask off because it's gonna be kinda hard to establish him as Mexican, let alone clean cut and 30 years old if he doesn't.

I was thinking some kind of mask with the chin hanging out, like Batman and Daredevil, but without the ears/horns. He could have a Spanish name, I guess. His ethnicity doesn't really matter anyway.

DouglasDanger on
    edited September 2009
    Mmm yes the mask is probably pretty important to get right...

earthwormadam on
    edited September 2009
    well if he is a luchador the answer is he can't take off his mask ever or he will shame his family and the business

also as for naming luchadores you have two things that'll make it seem authentic:

make it just a spanish word with el/la in front of it

like El Santo, El Tigre, La Parka

or just give him a spanish name with jr. at the end

like Rey Misterio Jr, Chavo Guerrero Jr.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited September 2009
    well if he is a luchador the answer is he can't take off his mask ever or he will shame his family and the business

also as for naming luchadores you have two things that'll make it seem authentic:

make it just a spanish word with el/la in front of it

like El Santo, El Tigre, La Parka

or just give him a spanish name with jr. at the end

like Rey Misterio Jr, Chavo Guerrero Jr.

Right on with the mask never ever coming off. Wear it to the grave! El Santo went undefeated (some matches have unmasking wagers) and was thus buried in his mask.

His colors are tentativly blue and white. Blue tights, white and blue pads, white boots, white mask... I always struggle with names. I have changed the name on my other character 8 or 9 times.

DouglasDanger on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Just for a twist, you could me the guy a "Sr" as in - Papa Luchador is out of retirement for one last match and BAM Sentry Duty

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited September 2009
    Ringo wrote: »
    Just for a twist, you could me the guy a "Sr" as in - Papa Luchador is out of retirement for one last match and BAM Sentry Duty

Or have a final match banner or something. That's a cool idea. Crusty middle-aged dudes are awesome. Maybe not quite as... weathered as Danny Trejo-- that would call for rewriting the entire thing, becuase there is no way a guy like that could hop around suplexing dudes and cartwheeling and flipping and shit, but that is a cool idea.

DouglasDanger on
    edited September 2009
    man you ain't gotta tell me about lucha libre

also hair matches are a big deal so make sure your dude has long hair if you are doing something other than a mask like Santo's where the hair is visible

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited September 2009
    I'm thinking full head cover mask. The classic, but maybe with his chin/jaw sticking out, like Batman/Daredevil/Midnighter/Hawkeye/etc/etc. But I don't know what it should look like.

Or what his name should be. Arg. I don't want to an animal name, or just a name name. I;m thinking maybe El Rapido, for The Quick One. Maybe. Or maybe The Silent One? I don't really have any idea I guess. Dammit.

DouglasDanger on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'd say choose a Spanish animal name, but a more obscure animal that's representative of his personality/powers and then add a color to it.

or better yet, I would grab a spanish dictionary and choose a word solely for the way it sounds, and hope that it's humorously unrelated.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited September 2009
    I'm thinking full head cover mask. The classic, but maybe with his chin/jaw sticking out, like Batman/Daredevil/Midnighter/Hawkeye/etc/etc. But I don't know what it should look like.

Or what his name should be. Arg. I don't want to an animal name, or just a name name. I;m thinking maybe El Rapido, for The Quick One. Maybe. Or maybe The Silent One? I don't really have any idea I guess. Dammit.

For the mask you are hinting at something like Rey Misterio wears:

rey-misterio-9.jpg

as for names, I am partial to El Hormiguero (The Anteater)

I thought of naming a fake luchadore that myself, but if you like it, take it

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Rey Mysterio has a cool name, but man I am tired of that guy. We need another luchacho (is that a word? No More Heroes has it as a word, but lolJapan) to become a big deal. Anyway, yeah, kind of like that I guess. Not really digging his chin flaps or the christianity as a fashion accessory thing. The big eyeholes are kind of neat though.

I apparently think masks are essential to my heroes, for some reason. The long term project I have been working on also has the protagonist wearing a lucha mask. And my other heroes usually have their faces obscured too. Hm. I blame Snake Eyes.

DouglasDanger on
    edited September 2009
    well I didn't mean you'd also have the bird flaps and the christianity advertisments, I meant the same shape, not design.

also the world needs more la parka

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    daaaaaaaaaaaanggggggGGGG just found this thread. wanna get in on this

but i'm not sure from which side. oh well, probably just gonna post some drawings of TLB as a superhero

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
    edited September 2009
    well I didn't mean you'd also have the bird flaps and the christianity advertisments, I meant the same shape, not design.

also the world needs more la parka

my other hero for my other thing is sort of inspired by la parka and a bit by the skull rider guy from kamen rider spirits

DouglasDanger on
    edited September 2009
    Futore wrote: »

but i'm not sure from which side. oh well, probably just gonna post some drawings of TLB as a superhero

this what you should always do forever

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Futore wrote: »
    daaaaaaaaaaaanggggggGGGG just found this thread. wanna get in on this

There are a lot more writers than artists on this project. If you have artistic ability, I would suggest you go from that angle.

Lucascraft on
    edited September 2009
    yes but remember

slow writers are sloooow

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • dlpwillywonkadlpwillywonka Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This sounds amazingly great. I'm a huge fan of the "Flight" comics and a PA forum anthology would rock the bookstores.

dlpwillywonka on
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
    Carl Sagan
    edited September 2009
    oh and hey this is a preview of the first page of my story by squidbunny

sd_call01.jpg

artists start working harder and show me stuff

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    damn.

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
    edited September 2009
    Hahhha I love all the random ass details spread around the panels!

earthwormadam on
    edited September 2009
    Hey, artist. What can I do to my script to help you out?

DouglasDanger on
    edited September 2009
    Eh, not really that much at the moment. Having a name for the luchador might help though since I'm having trouble developing him as a generic wrestler with no name...

I figure in a few days I'll have some better concept sketches and then from there I'll loosely storyboard the whole thing. Once I have that, I'll bring it to you and we can make any changes we deem necessary!

Man, I like those colors Squiddy.

earthwormadam on
    edited September 2009
    Eh, not really that much at the moment. Having a name for the luchador might help though since I'm having trouble developing him as a generic wrestler with no name...

I figure in a few days I'll have some better concept sketches and then from there I'll loosely storyboard the whole thing. Once I have that, I'll bring it to you and we can make any changes we deem necessary!

Man, I like those colors Squiddy.

I'm stuck on the wrestler's name. I was thinking bare-chested, blue wrestler pants, white boots, white mask, white knee and elbow pads, and... that is about all I have.

The mask could be a big deal, but I don't want it to be hard to draw or goofy looking. I think it would look good if his chin/mouth/jaw area was out, but his nose was covered. It covers his head fully, no hair or ears sticking out, just the jaw area. Not sure where it stops, somewhere around the upper lip area I guess.

He's meant to be a throwback to the old days, so tattoos are out.

He needs some kind of gimmick, but I'm blanking on it. I would prefer it not to be the animal. Some kind of adjective or descriptive word...

DouglasDanger on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ManonvonSuperock on
    edited September 2009

Dude, I am not naming him the haunted bathroom.

DouglasDanger on
    edited September 2009
    Just think of a cool animal, name him after that, keep the bare chested idea and slap a big fat tattoo of your chosen animal on his back.

I don't know any Spanish so someone else will need to do the translation. Here are a few suggestions.

-- The King Snake
    -- Gilla or Gila Monster
    -- Iguana
    -- Jaguarundi

Lucascraft on
    edited September 2009
    Did you not read what I wrote? You disregarded pretty much all of my intentions for the character except the fact that he is a bare-chested wrestler.

DouglasDanger on
    edited September 2009
    I read it a few days ago when you posted it, but I will admit that I did not re-read it before posting my suggestions, and I don't really remember your stipulations. I was merely trying to offer some helpful advice.

Lucascraft on
    edited September 2009
    Thanks for trying! Since this a new page, I will say it here too. I have (half)created a hero for this Sentry Duty project. He is a luchador. White full-head lucha libra mask, but with the chin out. No cutouts for the nose or ears. The mask stops around his upper lip, sort of like your typical superhero mask, or rey mysterio's mask. He also wears white knee and elbows pads, and white boots. His wrestler pants (with legs, not just a speedo) are blue. I'm not really sure if the colors matter, I don't remember if this black and white or colored.

He's a real do-gooder, an obvious hero. He's not an entire hero, who a post-modern critique of superheroics or whatever. He is obviously The Good Guy, like El Santo, Captain America, Spider-Man or Superman. He's meant to be sort of a throwback, to the old luchadores who fought Nazis and monsters and aliens and stuff. He is not tattooed.

He's very mobile, not quite as mobile as Spider-man, but he leaps onto dudes, leaps from the shoulders of one guy onto the head of another, does flips off of walls, that sort of thing. Sort of short, but not a midget, muscled, but not comically so.

That's about all I have.

DouglasDanger on
    edited September 2009
    So I toyed around with an electric themed costume design, and I'm thinking it fits well within the whole getting zapped by a satellite theme. Only the mask and the boots have thunderbolts on them so it is still somewhat understated and not overdone.

He still needs a name though. C'mon writers lets come up with some names.

earthwormadam on
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009