As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Octomom is a piece of (whatever you want to call her)

DoctorArchDoctorArch CurmudgeonRegistered User regular
edited July 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
I heard this on NPR tonight as I was driving home (courtesy of Boston Herald):
Well, there you have it: Reality TV has jumped the shark - Octomom just scored her own unscripted show.

Nadya Suleman, the unemployed, single mother of 14 who gave birth to eight babies in January thanks to in-vitro fertilization, inked a three-year deal with Eyeworks, a European production company responsible for “The Biggest Loser” and “Breaking Bonaduce.”

Filming begins Sept. 1.

Apparently, the “Jon & Kate Plus 8” family implosion didn’t fill our hunger for watching sad sacks struggle to raise a human litter on cable TV.

No word on which network will pick up this train wreck, but according to the Associated Press, Octomom’s brood will net $250,000 over the three years, with each tyke getting $250 per episode. Thanks to California law, 15 percent will go into a trust, so when they turn 18, each kid can collect $2,600 and try to find the cheapest therapist - or meth dealer - on the West Coast.

Octomom’s take? Her lawyer declined comment citing - get this - “confidentiality.”

Suleman gets to pick and choose what she tells the world. Too bad her 14 children have no say at all.

“Her television program will not be like the ‘Jon & Kate Plus 8’ show,” her lawyer told US magazine.

No. It will be worse.

As we’ve seen from the bug-eaters and desperate-daters on other reality shows, people will do anything in pursuit of the new American Dream - celebrity.

Suleman’s a perfect opportunist for our times - using science, government coffers and eight infants as her fame-grabbing gimmick. Add in her six kids already at home, and you’ve got a miniature chorus line kicking to “Sesame Street” tunes.

Or should I say sweatshop?

Before she gave birth to a baseball team, the California psych hospital worker relied on food stamps and the Social Security disability payments from three of her six kids to raise the brood. She’s admitted to using some of the disability cash on IVF.

And she’s stealing from her children yet again - raiding their privacy and well-being.
(Story continues below)

Remember that $2,600 per tot? Mama’s set to rake in hundreds of thousands of dollars for telling “her side of the story” on prime-time, complete with editing and filming rights.

Considering the glimpses of home life we’ve already had from police reports and ex-nanny debriefings, this could be Jerry Springer featuring the Gymboree set.

There might be a bright side. If this circus sees airtime, viewers at home could act as “nannycams.” There’d be no more missing kids (Suleman lost one briefly back in October) and no 2-year-olds would be rushed to the hospital after drinking a mysterious liquid (that happened to son Caleb last week) - not on our watch.

But Octomom is all about working the angles. I doubt she’ll let America see her shortcomings.

Yet if we watch, we’re showing ours.

Tl;dr: Octomom is inking a reality show that will film milestones for the octuplets, for which the children will get $250 per episode placed for them into a trust, which will total approximately $2500 each upon turning 18, meanwhile, the other part of the $250,000, 3 year deal all goes to Octomom herself.

So, when is the point where the state of California can call her on child exploitation and take these kids away from her?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
DoctorArch on

• Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    octomom? Wasn't that the octopus boss in final fantasy 2?

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It, it just seems like a poorly thought out moneygrab and not worth the money for all the hassle it's going to put her through.

So, pretty standard stuff, I guess.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You know when she went to an Invitro clinic with no job and used public funds to pay for it I think maybe they should have investigated her a bit.

Just saying.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Pi-r8 wrote: »
    octomom? Wasn't that the octopus boss in final fantasy 2?
    That was Octomamm(oth), but that's totally what I think of every time I see "octomom" too.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Archgarth wrote: »
    I heard this on NPR tonight as I was driving home (courtesy of Boston Herald):
    Well, there you have it: Reality TV has jumped the shark - Octomom just scored her own unscripted show.

Nadya Suleman, the unemployed, single mother of 14 who gave birth to eight babies in January thanks to in-vitro fertilization, inked a three-year deal with Eyeworks, a European production company responsible for “The Biggest Loser” and “Breaking Bonaduce.”

Filming begins Sept. 1.

Apparently, the “Jon & Kate Plus 8” family implosion didn’t fill our hunger for watching sad sacks struggle to raise a human litter on cable TV.

No word on which network will pick up this train wreck, but according to the Associated Press, Octomom’s brood will net $250,000 over the three years, with each tyke getting $250 per episode. Thanks to California law, 15 percent will go into a trust, so when they turn 18, each kid can collect $2,600 and try to find the cheapest therapist - or meth dealer - on the West Coast.

Octomom’s take? Her lawyer declined comment citing - get this - “confidentiality.”

Suleman gets to pick and choose what she tells the world. Too bad her 14 children have no say at all.

“Her television program will not be like the ‘Jon & Kate Plus 8’ show,” her lawyer told US magazine.

No. It will be worse.

As we’ve seen from the bug-eaters and desperate-daters on other reality shows, people will do anything in pursuit of the new American Dream - celebrity.

Suleman’s a perfect opportunist for our times - using science, government coffers and eight infants as her fame-grabbing gimmick. Add in her six kids already at home, and you’ve got a miniature chorus line kicking to “Sesame Street” tunes.

Or should I say sweatshop?

Before she gave birth to a baseball team, the California psych hospital worker relied on food stamps and the Social Security disability payments from three of her six kids to raise the brood. She’s admitted to using some of the disability cash on IVF.

And she’s stealing from her children yet again - raiding their privacy and well-being.
    (Story continues below)

Remember that $2,600 per tot? Mama’s set to rake in hundreds of thousands of dollars for telling “her side of the story” on prime-time, complete with editing and filming rights.

Considering the glimpses of home life we’ve already had from police reports and ex-nanny debriefings, this could be Jerry Springer featuring the Gymboree set.

There might be a bright side. If this circus sees airtime, viewers at home could act as “nannycams.” There’d be no more missing kids (Suleman lost one briefly back in October) and no 2-year-olds would be rushed to the hospital after drinking a mysterious liquid (that happened to son Caleb last week) - not on our watch.

But Octomom is all about working the angles. I doubt she’ll let America see her shortcomings.

Yet if we watch, we’re showing ours.

Tl;dr: Octomom is inking a reality show that will film milestones for the octuplets, for which the children will get $250 per episode placed for them into a trust, which will total approximately $2500 each upon turning 18, meanwhile, the other part of the $250,000, 3 year deal all goes to Octomom herself.

So, when is the point where the state of California can call her on child exploitation and take these kids away from her?

While this womans behaviour is disgusting and her mental stability comparable to a can of jolt in a paint shaker, The sad part is that the state can't take her kids from her until she's found to be incapable of raising them or criminally negligent. Now, that having been said, A tv series would be an excellent opportunity to catch any bouts of negligence.

Of course, the part that really obliterates my faith in humanity, is that if the state were to do the sane thing and take her kids away, they'd be confronted by mobs of angry morons who think that the goverment is wildly over stepping it's authority by invading the life a poor single mother with multiple kids.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've watched nearly every stupid reality show out there, just to see at least.
    I refuse to watch this, everything about it is disgusting and not on an "ewww bugs" or "ewww white trash whores" sort of way.
    I like my white trash whores, but this woman disgusts me.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Apparently she turns up on Wikipedia when you type in "Octomom." I didn't know that was her officially given nickname.

Henroid on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wikipedia is official?
    Everyone knows the Ocotomom, no one knows her real name.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Shit? Is it shit? I'm gonna go with shit.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wikipedia is official?
    Everyone knows the Ocotomom, no one knows her real name.

Official in terms of "This is what the media called her." Which I never noticed but I never paid attention to the story. And don't put words in my mouth or assume my stance on Wikipedia - I know what it is.

Henroid on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well, there you have it: Reality TV has jumped the shark
    Really? This is it? I'm pretty sure reality TV jumped the shark when every frigging network had to have five of the goddamned things, and the premise of each was worse than the one that preceeded it. "The Biggest Loser"? Really? That's a show people want to associate themselves with?

Where does it end? "America's Most Flammable Hooker"? Or "So You Think You Can Perform Brain Surgery"? How about "The Adulterer"?

Halfmex on
  • Options
    gigEsmallsgigEsmalls __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    American values at it's finest on display. I blame the media for this nonsense... again!

gigEsmalls on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The surge of reality TV a few years ago is the reason I never got cable TV when I got my own place. This show is more proof to me that I made the right decision. Even the threat of accidentally seeing two seconds of this horror while channel surfing would be enough to ensure I never turned my TV on again.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    mrdobalinamrdobalina Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    There's a joke about Octopussy in this, but I'm not good enough to think it up.

The thing about her is, while I know people who watch train-wreck reality shows and discuss the latest celeb gossip around the office, I've yet to hear anything but disgust for this lady.

The best we can hope for is that this bombs big time.

mrdobalina on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Really? This is it? I'm pretty sure reality TV jumped the shark when every frigging network had to have five of the goddamned things, and the premise of each was worse than the one that preceeded it. "The Biggest Loser"? Really? That's a show people want to associate themselves with?

Where does it end? "America's Most Flammable Hooker"? Or "So You Think You Can Perform Brain Surgery"? How about "The Adulterer"?
    Rock bottom is a long way down. We'll know it when we hit it.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SaammielSaammiel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Of course, the part that really obliterates my faith in humanity, is that if the state were to do the sane thing and take her kids away, they'd be confronted by mobs of angry morons who think that the goverment is wildly over stepping it's authority by invading the life a poor single mother with multiple kids.

There is good reason that terminating parental rights is difficult. What do you think will happen to these kids if they were taken away from Nadia? Non-infant adoption in the United States is a travesty and so the kids would likely face a life of going from foster home to foster home with little chance of permanent adoption. The 8 infants might be adoptable depending on how drawn out the process is, but chances are they would be seperated.

Really, a reality television show is probably the best thing that could happen at this point. It will lift Octomom out of poverty and expose her to some level of oversight. I'd take a loss of privacy in my toddler years over crushing poverty any day, and like it or not, those are the options. Macaulay Culkin may rightfully be mad that his earnings as a child were effectively stolen, but I'd still take his lot in life over that of the urban poor.

She shouldn't have had so many children in the first place, but the damage is done.

Saammiel on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    God Dammit.

I was so sure that I would never have to look at this woman's face again, or listen to her annoying fucking voice.

Well, just another show I can put on the list of not watching.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

And it will filmed and shown on Fox.

Octomom is just the latest and most showcased of these type of people. I believe there is one show that has a couple with like 18 kids.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This woman is irredeemably stupid and I'm pretty sure nothing will ever change my opinion about her. I hate that her idiocy is probably going to end up hurting a bunch of children in the long run.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    tallgeeze wrote: »

Octomom is just the latest and most showcased of these type of people. I believe there is one show that has a couple with like 18 kids.

That would be the Duggers. One of the wonderful examples of the Quiverfull cult's obsession with procreation.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

At least those people have the means to take care of their children, though. Major difference.

Granted, I would never personally want that many children, but there's still a world of difference between the Duggers and Ocotomom.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    edited July 2009

That would be the Duggers. One of the wonderful examples of the Quiverfull cult's obsession with procreation.

Meh. I got no problem with people who get it on and have big families. The Octomom is a whole different beast.

mrdobalina on
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

So You Think You Can Fly? (featuring idiots jumping off high places in home-made parachutes/gliders)

Dman on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I find it interesting that Gloria Allred is one of the people leading the charge, legally, against Nadya Suleman's rights as a parent.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    mrdobalina wrote: »

Meh. I got no problem with people who get it on and have big families. The Octomom is a whole different beast.

I don't have a problem with the idea, but the Duggars recieve a lot of their support through donations to their church, and the chuch has no problem supporting them because they act as an advertisment for them on the TLC shows.

Getting a good portion of your support (Jim Bob does make a decent ammount in real estate but not enough to comfortablely support 20 people) for basically using your family as a sideshow I do have a problem with.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    mrdobalina wrote: »

I don't have a problem with the idea, but the Duggars recieve a lot of their support through donations to their church, and the chuch has no problem supporting them because they act as an advertisment for them on the TLC shows.

Getting a good portion of your support (Jim Bob does make a decent ammount in real estate but not enough to comfortablely support 20 people) for basically using your family as a sideshow I do have a problem with.

I guess I don't see their show as exploitive. They don't live under the camera 24/7 and they seem to be respectful/humble in their own way. I imagine they see it as a means not only for income but to show that they aren't fundamentally (har har) crazy, they just like big kids.

All things considered, I would like to have between 6-10 kids myself, but my wife's vagina might object.

mrdobalina on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ooooh, the Duggars! I've got a quick story about them. I was a newspaper reporter in Arkansas, and I got to cover one of Jim Bob's campaign rallies when he ran in the Republican primary for the U.S. Senate. I get there, and it turns out he dragged his entire brood ("just" 13 at the time) with him. Not just that, but he featured every one of those kids in his campaign materials and posters. In fact, his campaign platform seemed to consist of 90% "vote for me because I've got 13 kids" and 10% being against abortion, because it prevents people from having loads of kids like they did.

The absolute best part was the point at which the 13 kids sung the official campaign theme song, "Won't You Please Vote for My Daddy," which was written by the mom and is just so horrifically bad it was an instant comedy classic. I swiped a CD recording of it, but I lost it years ago.

Anyway, Octomom. Feh. I've never seen an instance of a public figure going from universal adoration to universal loathing in, what, a week? Goddamn, what a sterling example of someone trying to fill the gaping void in their life/psyche with kids. Yeah, that's healthy.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ok, this part is what gets me:

That bit ought to be illegal, if it isn't already.

Social security payments are meant to go towards the care of the child. I know that we're being awfully careful about the payments for my husband's sister -- they're still going to her dad even though she's living with us, but since if they came to us we'd be just turning around and giving him about the same amount of money to get by (which he's just barely doing even with that money), we haven't bothered to get them changed. But we're very aware that if the authorities find out, we'd have some 'splainin to do. And that's for necessary sustinance...

Nerissa on
  • Options
    widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Archgarth wrote: »
    I find it interesting that Gloria Allred is one of the people leading the charge, legally, against Nadya Suleman's rights as a parent.

Even hardcore ideologues have their limits; the point where sanity finally breaks though. Octomom is obviously a narcassistic, immature, nutjob.

For example, I didn't see many people supporting, say, Blagojevich's jackassery. Shaking down a kid's hospital is just too damn much.

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    Hardleft_335Hardleft_335 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    She can have as many kids as she wants. She can have a tv show if she wants. She hasn't had her children taken away because she hasn't done anything wrong.

I don't understand how getting a very highly paying job that allows her to stay home with her children is a bad thing.

Hardleft_335 on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dman wrote: »

So You Think You Can Fly? (featuring idiots jumping off high places in home-made parachutes/gliders)

I would watch the shit out of that show.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    She can have as many kids as she wants. She can have a tv show if she wants. She hasn't had her children taken away because she hasn't done anything wrong.

I don't understand how getting a very highly paying job that allows her to stay home with her children is a bad thing.

My issue, is that She was an unemployed single mother of 6 children living with her parents who came up with the "brilliant" plan of giving birth to a litter of 8 additional kids so that she could be a celebrity.

Putting aside the insanity of having more children when you can't support the ones you already have on your own, Theres the fact that having octuplets is horrificly dangerous to the developing fetuses, since the nutriants that would be dedicated to a single child will be spread 8 ways, meaning that the children will be signifigantly weaker at birth. If all of these children grow up to become healthy adults I will be genuinely surprised.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »

You are everything that is wrong with this country.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I guess I would be. I really hate reality TV and avoid it whenever possible. A show about people injuring themselves as a result of their own stupidity appeals to me, but I guess that's the premise of most of these shows, so I should probably get off my high horse about people who watch them.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Already exists - Red Bull Flugtag

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

I guess I would be. I really hate reality TV and avoid it whenever possible. A show about people injuring themselves as a result of their own stupidity appeals to me, but I guess that's the premise of most of these shows, so I should probably get off my high horse about people who watch them.

The best reality TV shows are the ones where they just insult the contestants for being idiots constantly. Tool Academy comes to mind. That show was awesome.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The episode about the Duggers where their son hadn't done anything other than hold hands with his soon-to-be wife was kinda awkward.

Also -- Flugtag is funny as hell.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    JebusUD wrote: »

The best reality TV shows are the ones where they just insult the contestants for being idiots constantly. Tool Academy comes to mind. That show was awesome.

My favorite reality show had to be The Joe Shmoe Show.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Was that the one where everyone but "Joe" was an actor? I'll admit that's the only reality show I've ever watched.

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    GR_Zombie wrote: »

Was that the one where everyone but "Joe" was an actor? I'll admit that's the only reality show I've ever watched.

Is that like a poor-man's Truman Show?

KalTorak on