As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Art Style For Archie (That's Not Manga)

2»

• Options
    CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hensler wrote:
    Well, this is supposed to be aimed towards younger kids and portraying the high school environment - unfortunately, that's what girls in high school today really look like.

I can reasonably say I did not go to school with anyone even nearing those proportions. It's not really reflective of reality in any way.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Really, you have to give Archie Comics a great deal of credit for being so progressive as to feature a protagonist with freckles. Kudos for tearing down that wall.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Charmy wrote:
    Hensler wrote:
    Well, this is supposed to be aimed towards younger kids and portraying the high school environment - unfortunately, that's what girls in high school today really look like.

I can reasonably say I did not go to school with anyone even nearing those proportions. It's not really reflective of reality in any way.

Well then you went to school with a bunch of fatties.

Hensler on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Owenashi wrote:
    bobgorila wrote:
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    It's about time for another "Archie Meets Wolverine".

Because he's in everything, amirite?

Might have already met him. Not like they've shown everything Logan's remembered yet.
    earthwolverineevery1.jpg

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Hensler wrote:
    Charmy wrote:
    Hensler wrote:

Those are not the only two options, Hensler. There is something we call a 'reasonable middle ground'.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Charmy wrote:
    Hensler wrote:
    Charmy wrote:
    Hensler wrote:

Those are not the only two options, Hensler. There is something we call a 'reasonable middle ground'.

Reasonable middle ground? Sounds like something a fatty would say.

charmygq7.gif

Hensler on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Archie should keep the art style it has always had, and maybe mix it up a little. A new art style, but with the same characters and everything seems silly.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Archie should keep the art style it has always had, and maybe mix it up a little. A new art style, but with the same characters and everything seems silly.

What's wrong with Archie getting a new style? Every other comic book out there gets new art all the time. I dont see why Archie should be stuck with one formula forever.

Hensler on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hensler wrote:

What's wrong with Archie getting a new style? Every other comic book out there gets new art all the time. I dont see why Archie should be stuck with one formula forever.

It's just that it has had this same style for as long as I can remember, probably longer than I have been alive. It's like seeing the old Looney Tunes you watched as a child getting re-vamped into that god awful Loonatics Unleashed.

Marathon on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Hensler wrote:
    Charmy wrote:
    Hensler wrote:
    Charmy wrote:
    Hensler wrote:

(snip)

Oh Hensler. Your wit is truly without parallel. You can't see it or hear it, but I am slow-clapping right now.

But yeah. I'm sticking with my point that the way they're being portrayed is more than a little unreasonable, which is a problem in a book mainly targeted towards young girls.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Charmy wrote:
    Hensler wrote:
    Charmy wrote:
    Hensler wrote:
    Charmy wrote:
    Hensler wrote:

(snip)

God, I wish I had some deep fried cheeseburgers floating in a bucket of a cookie dough ice cream

I do get what you're saying though. Afterall, Spiderman and Superman comics have been driving young boys into obsessive workout regiments that lead into a downward cycle of steroid abuse for years. It's about time that a comic started psychologically damaging young girls in the same way.

Hensler on
  • Options
    TehChowdTehChowd Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    hensler wrote:

Man, Hensler, don't get me wrong, 99 out of 100 times I <3 your posts because you're hilarious, but seriously, girls in highschool do not look like that. Last year I hellishly slaved as a high school substitute teacher, and while I agree that there are some skinny girls there, they still in no way look like Betty and Veronica in that picture. I mean, just look at their faces, they don't even look young. I guess it's partly the fault of them trying to blend the old art style with the new, but Betty and Veronica really just look like runway model/sex android hybrids.

I realize that I'm kind of being a PC dorky Mcfagfag about this, but I personally just think that it's socially irresponsible to present girls that are that ridiculously thin in a comic that is essentially aimed at middle school girls. Not even to mention (or build off of I guess) Robosagogo's point that it's fucking creepy and harmful to the enjoyment/atmosphere of the story to have everything exist in this weird, Stepford-esque kind of universe. Admitedly, Archie was creepy and conservitive before, but now, man, that shit is nightmarish.

edit:
    hensler wrote:
    I do get what you're saying though. Afterall, Spiderman and Superman comics have been driving young boys into obsessive workout regiments that lead into a downward cycle of steroid abuse for years. It's about time that a comic started psychologically damaging young girls in the same way.

Haha, touche minus the accent mark. Whatever, my basic point is that Betty and Veronica look like crap because they're drawn unrealistcally.

TehChowd on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Hensler wrote:
    Charmy wrote:
    Hensler wrote:
    Charmy wrote:
    Hensler wrote:
    Charmy wrote:
    Hensler wrote:

(snip)

God, I wish I had some deep fried cheeseburgers floating in a bucket of a cookie dough ice cream

Yeah, I guess this isn't really the place for a discussion about how body-image is presented by the media, and the different pressures exerted on different genders.

Er, I was working on something, but TehChowd posted before I got a post together. Basically, what he said.

EDIT: On an unrelated note, a deep-fried cheeseburger sounds goddamn delicious.

I know what I'm having for my Christmas dinner this year! :D

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Charmy wrote:

And once again, Hensler was correct.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Hensler wrote:
    Charmy wrote:

Half-correct. I'm actually criminally underweight instead of a fattie. I'll have to throw it up afterwards.

God, we have gone so far off-topic.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Charmy wrote:
    Hensler wrote:
    Charmy wrote:

Half-correct. I'm actually criminally underweight instead of a fattie. I'll have to throw it up afterwards.

God, we have gone so far off-topic.

So you're kind of the Ultimate Spiderwoman of fatties? You have the mind of a fatty but the body on a not-fatty?

Hensler on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hensler, stop being a cock.

I wonder if they're going to do another "Veronica gets held hostage at gun/knife/tankpoint" story in this style. That might make me buy it.

Furu on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Newsarama managed to get a quick word with Victor Gorelick and Steven Butler from Archie Comics on the art change and what it means for the comic.

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=95140

Owenashi on