As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4e] Eberron: Tears of Siberys (IC/OOC)

• Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Me too bladecruiser, but I will have internet access--leaving town late tomorrow & coming back Sunday. Sorry all! I'll have my laptop + my phone so I have guaranteed internet access, but I'll be on vacation, so won't be able to post as often as normal

streever on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The occupants settling in with a few remaining still to secure their belongings, the railcar is nearly at capacity.

"All aboard!" An official yells outside and promptly takes a peek inside, nodding and moving on to the next car.

After a minute or two there is a crackling thunder rumbling from up ahead, and you feel the car dip slightly and cushion back as the clamps release. Loved ones standing clear back at the gates outside wave to the passengers. It is full daylight but those with window seats can see the trademark sparks begin to fly from beneath the train as it accelerates along the conductor stones.

It is not long before the City of Towers is out of sight, the scenery zooming past. A sign near the forward exit indicates that the dining car is beyond it, where one could find food and beverage. This train would be their host over the next two days.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'll be making an update tonight so if you want to be doing anything other than riding along watching the continent pass by, make it known.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    After the rail departed the station, Reynaldo sat patiently in the silent compartment, quietly fidgetting as he looked out the window and at his travelling companions with the same wide, goofy grin planted on his face. Finally, with the first hour passing with nothing but the crackling of the rail's propulsion to break the quiet, Reynaldo could take it no more. "Y'ever been ta Xen'drik? 'S amazin'! Jungles so thick y'can't see yer nose from yer face, an' critters jus' lurkin' in th' trees waitin' ta pounce on ya. Ay was deep innit some time ago, trailblazin' fer anudder lot o' heroes, when out th' bush lept a whopper python, biggest ay'v seen. Nearly bit Konk in half, 'e did. Konk was a big fella, half-orc from th' Wastes. 'E wrestled th' snake down an' wit' our help, cleaved the beast in two parts! We ate good that week!"

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Fie looks up--"Xen'drik you say? Tell me more..." always excited to hear about a new place--and particularly interesting ruins or lost knowledge--the tall deva settles in to listen, taking a small notebook out to make notes.

Ready Infidel! Fie will settle in and listen to the gnomes tales until the next post.

streever on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Perception checks if you're about, please.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Varatos takes a look around.

R: 1d20+2 → [13,2] = (15)

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Used the wizards dice roller (no invisible castle from work :(): 1d20+11=30

delroland on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    So surprise (to me) company all tonight that just finally left and I have a wedding all tomorrow, so everyone has time to get checks and any posts they wish to make in before I update and kick some things off Sunday.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Fie is feeling a little fidgety.perception on lightning rail (1d20+10=23)[/url]

streever on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Bump.

Is the perception trigger interrupting our conversation, or is it something that happens a ways down teh line?

delroland on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Use slategrey for OOC instead of spoilers.

You have a couple hours of travel that you can flesh out anything you like before I make my update.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Fie idly fidles with a strange device--a strange round tube of metal. As he presses on it & twists it, various tools spring forth and then withdraw back into it. He continues reading the textbook from his mentor & ignores the scenery.

streever on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Sorry for the delays. Aside from weddings and visits I also got sick and then I was fighting with Java a good bit tonight trying to get my Maptools and other tools working. *sigh* Should be good to go now, hope you all had a good weekend!

The voyage is rather smooth, the train gliding along at high speeds through the King's Forest, and time passes fairly well. Matthias watches on as the rest further up the car engage in chit chat, some of it work related but for the most part not. Many of the other passengers are also engaged in their own conversation, although you get a few glances or stares now and then from people. They must be assuming you're adventurers by your gear or such, you figure. That and the gnome regaling his fellow travelers with the sights and lands he's seen.

Reynaldo is mid-story, leaning backwards over his seat, when a man enters the back of the car from the next heading towards the dining car. He notices that the man holds his left arm as if concealing something within his jacket. Fie hears the man approaching as he picks up on Reynaldo's concern.

I've marked the five of you and the man of interest, I placed you based on your descriptions and what seats were already taken. delro, I need a better token for you still. Assume that the seats are packed where you are not, because they mostly are. The scale is a little off for 5 foot squares, but I wanted to divide the space up better so they're more like 2.5 foot squares, whatever! Squares are squares on the train.

rail01.png

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Fie stands up, turning around, and calls out to Matthias,
    "Matthias do come up here, the gnome is sharing the most unusual story!" and hurriedly walks straight into the man's path.

"Ahh, excuse me sir, I didn't happen to see you approaching, my deep apologies."

As he passes the man, he tries to see what he is concealing. 25

streever on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The man's sudden sneer turns into a sheepish smile. He brings his right arm up across his chest, laying his jacket flat.

"Right. Well, excuse me."

From his angle, Varatos swears he sees the stock and mechanisms of a small crossbow or some similar device maybe before the man clutches his jacket closed.

The man is stopped temporarily in D9 with Fie directly in front of him.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    bladecruiserbladecruiser Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Having sat in much the same position since he got on the train, Matthias grunted his acknowledgment to Fie's request and winced as a couple of his joints cracked when he stood up. As he looks forward and takes a step to the side to get a better view and start walking towards the front, he takes the extra effort of checking out the person now standing directly in front of him.

Insight (1d20+5=14) to try and get a read on his body language to tell if he's a threat or not.

bladecruiser on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Lo follows Fie, thinking to himself "Why would this foolish Deva go anywhere or do anything without warning me first?"

As Fie bumps into the shady looking fellow, Lo catches Fie, to make sure he doesn't fall saying "Careful there!"

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It's hard to say whether the man is trouble or just another adventurer like yourselves. That is until he begins being crowded by a handful of strangers.

The man takes a step back and reaches into his jacket, withdrawing the concealed crossbow and pointing it at Fie, glancing side to side and over his shoulder at Matthias nervously.

"Everyone sit back down nice and quiet like," he shouts. "Don't want to be hurt now do ya?"

The discussions among the passengers stop and all eyes are on you and the man.

Looks like action goes to initiative rolls now.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Varatos hasn't really moved since he noticed the guy was armed. If a bluff is necessary to maintain my incognito, I've included that with my init roll as seen below:

R: Bluff (If Necessary), Init: (23), (9)

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    1d20+7 → [8,7] = (15)

Lo draws his shuriken and dagger. "Looks like we get to stop a trainjacking."

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    "Ahhh, that's quite interesting. Why are you so unsettled?" Fie peers inquisitively at the man, already holding his implement & ready for a battle: 22
    "If you insist on violence, please get it over with quickly."

streever on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Watching the man take a step back, then draw a weapon, Matthias takes a deep breath and narrows his eyes. The enemy is obviously a bit worried after seeing him stand up, so Matthias takes this opportunity to assess his options. A split second after the man speaks, Matthias has made up his mind. His eyes dart to his companions in front of the man, then to the man's hand with the crossbow, then back to the man's face. He sets himself for combat, but doesn't draw his sword just yet.

Initiative (1d20+6=14).

bladecruiser on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Reynaldo pauses his story at the obvious threat of violence, spinning around in his seat and rising to a kneeling position to get a better view of what's happening. "Y're outnumbered, boyo. Jes' put down th' bow, an' we can air yer worries out o'er an ale."

Initiative: (1d20+6=11)

delroland on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The man seems to mull over Fie's words, and in agreement levels the weapon at him. A bolt catches the deva through and lodges itself in the front wall of the railcar. Startled passengers gasp and look on in a petrified state.

"Don't die a hero, now." The bandit looks about the car and barks an order. "Forfeit your valuables or your life!"
    Fie takes 12 damage from the crossbow.

rail02.png

Human Bandit
    AC:20 F:18 R:19 W:18
    Fie
    HP:27/39 S:7 AP:1
    Lo
    HP:39/39 S:7 AP:1
    Matthias
    HP:50/50 S:12 AP:1
    Reynaldo
    HP:44/44 S:7 AP:1
    Roe
    HP:33/33 S:6 AP:1
    I haven't run PbP combat for 4e so I'm open to suggestions for streamlining things, right now I'm going to just keep things moving and we'll improve as we go. Going to steal the up next / on deck bits, please end your action posts with those tags in that exact format. Use lime for PCs and red for NPCs.

Also, don't forget to put Tears of Siberys for the campaign name when you roll on IC, it puts all the rolls on one page for me.

[Up Next: Fie] [On Deck: Lo]

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Fie laughs, seemingly oblivious to the pain.
    "I thought you were important! but just a bandit. Well, mister bandit, I am unable to die. So please, do your worst."

Fie grins like a maniac as he casually points his implement at the man's feet.

"I thought you might be in a position to jeapordize my mission. But now! you are simply a common thug. A brute. For pulling my attention away from other things, sir, you shall suffer."

With a whirring noise, the small stick Fie points at the man grows, and a sphere is released. It rolls between the man's legs before it expands, enveloping him in a burst of electricity.

The man screams in obvious pain as his body is wracked with electricity.

"I'm disappointed in you, if you were wondering." Fie says, stepping aside, and ingesting a small vial of green-blue liquid. He instantly appears uninjured.

Standard: lightning sphere versus Human Bandit.Roll: 21--21 vs Fort hits--11 damage AND the man GRANTS COMBAT ADVANTAGE UNTIL THE END OF MY NEXT TURN! This has started perfectly :).
    Move Action: Step to c8
    Minor Action: healing infusion on Fie, 12 hp gained.
    fie is at 39/39.
    Bandit is -11 and grants CA to all allies

[Up Next: Lo] [On Deck: Matthias]

streever on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The bandit is scorched by the arcing field, and he scowls at Fie.

You may move to C8, but most seats are occupied and you can consider it to be Squeeze moves to enter and move through them. You are sharing the space with a seated passenger, and would take the -5 to attacks as well as granting CA. If you wish to change your move with this in mind go ahead.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Does that mean that he'd have cover if I tried a ranged attack from where I am? Edit: screw it I already rolled, writing my post now.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yes, he would have normal cover (-2) due to seats and people, you'd see just the torso from your angle currently. An attack down the aisle would not have any cover.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Lo grins widely. "I love it when he gets angry." He runs down the aisle to get a clear shot.

While running, he twirls his dagger impressively, as if to ready it for a throw, but instead hurls his shuriken at the bandit's throat. It cuts deeply, and returns neatly to Lo's hand as he finishes with another flourish.

Move down the aisle to D10
    Standard: Sly Flourish vs AC with Shuriken. Attack Roll: 28 and a +2 to hit due to combat advantage that I forgot. 1d6+2d8+9 → [3,2,1,9] = (15) damage (how weak is that?).

[Up next: Matthias][On Deck: Reynaldo]

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    rail03.png

Human Bandit
    Fie
    Lo
    Matthias
    HP:50/50 S:12 AP:1
    Reynaldo
    Roe

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    "Perhaps we should take him alive? Just in case."
    Thanks Infidel--I do not make that move, but instead, step directly in front of hi at D8.

streever on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Minor - Draw weapon
    Move - Shift 1 to D6
    Standard - Knockdown Assault: Attack roll (1d20+12+2=26) vs Fort; 4 damage and target is knocked prone. Bandit is also marked until the end of my next turn.

Bandit: -4 hp, knocked prone, marked by Matthias

Take him alive? Perhaps. Matthias unsheathes his huge two handed sword and takes a quick step forward. Once he's in striking range, he rears back and bashes his sword against his enemy, more concerned with knocking the bandit over and disrupting his attacks than actually hurting him. Now that the bandit knows the armored fighter is out to stop him, it will make him think twice about concentrating on someone else.

[Up next: Reynaldo][On Deck: Roe]

bladecruiser on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Minor: draw shortbow
    Move (as minor): designate bandit as quarry
    Standard: ready to Twin Strike bandit after he stands up and reloads his crossbow (or reloads and stands up).

Reynaldo winces at the blow to Fie, showing the pain in his face that the deva would not. He draws his bow, grabbing two arrows within his fist and knocking one, aiming at chest level towards where the bandit fell. "This deal's not 'tween Katy's claws, mate. Lay down yer arms afore someone else gets hurt."

"between the claws of the cockatrice (Katy's claws)" = "set in stone", "a forgone conclusion"
    Homebrew slang is fun!

[Up next: Roe][On deck: Human Bandit]

delroland on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Varatos stands and waves his hands. Nothing happens. He then takes a drag of his cigarette and adjusts his hat.

"A Bandit?"

Phantom Bolt, Target Bandit - 13 vs WILL 20: Miss

[Up Next: Human Bandit][On Deck: Fie]

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The passengers watch from their seats as you all confront the bandit. There is cheering as the man is knocked to the deck by Matthias and his fierce blow. A half-elf jumps up, looking as if he intends to join the fight. A dagger springs to his hand in a flash but it bites into Fie as he takes advantage of his exposed back. He grabs another dagger to wield in his off-hand, holding it at the ready and sizing up Lo with a quick eye.

Taking the distraction to slip back from Fie, the human rolls back and thrusts upwards with his dagger. Matthias catches the blade across his thigh and the bandit continues the momentum, tumbling past Matthias and bringing the crossbow to bear on the soldier. The bolt flies just wide as Matthias raises his sword against the nuisance.

The half-elf bandit strikes Fie for 13 damage.

The human bandit hits Matthias for 8 damage and misses with the hand crossbow. He provokes an OA from Matthias.

Reynaldo, take your readied action.

rail04.png

Reynaldo @ C12
    Human Bandit @ D5 [marked] [quarry]
    Fie @ D8
    HP:26/39 S:7 AP:1
    Lo @ D10
    Matthias @ D6
    HP:42/50 S:12 AP:1
    Roe @ E9
    Half-elf Bandit @ D9
    AC:19 F:16 R:19 W:19
    [Up Next: Fie] [On Deck: Lo]

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm going to not be here for the next 12+ hours so if my turn comes up and someone wants to go for me to keep things moving along, go for it.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Famous last words. :twisted:

I'll post in about an hour and a half, as soon as I get home from work.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

So, my dice roller is up and running here so I'd like people to move over to that! :D

The bonus is that if you already are using an Orokos sheet, you can click on a modifier (stat, skill, initiative, etc.) to bring up the roller window prefilled, just edit the description if need be and hit submit!

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png