As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Is anyone else having problems with the mail?

MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
20+ years I have never had a complaint for the post office and since this past new years my mail has been coming late, open, I have been told that my dog is chasing carriers away, and I have even been removed from the route once (for a supposedly obstructed mailbox.) I don't have a dog and neither do any of my neighbors. The mailbox is next to the front door with no obstacles. I have made probably a dozen individual complaints and the problems persist.

So am I cursed, or is this happening everywhere?

MushroomStick on

• prfntbtrprfntbtr Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well, it is not happening to me, so i can only assume it is not happening everywhere.

Perhaps you are indeed, cursed, or it could just be that you have a new person delivering your mail and they are very terrible at their job and maybe a terrible person in general.

prfntbtr on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    About 10% of my mail that comes to me gets returned as "undeliverable". My parents just found out they didn't get a bunch of cards that people sent them, with money in it.

It's not just you, I don't think.

urahonky on
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The proper thing to do is to report to your local office, and if that doesn't do anything, escalate to your regional office.

I've had numerous delays and oddities with the post office, with mail coming incredibly late, even things with delivery confirmation. Each time, we called and then a couple days later it would show up. It turns out it was just sitting at our local office (and no one there bothered to look for it or deliver it).

Eventually we escalated to our regional office, stating that there were numerous Priority and Delivery Confirmation packages that were arriving 2-3 weeks late for no reason (because something was late AGAIN). That item showed up the next day, and we've had no problems since.

If there's bad management at the local office, they won't correct whatever problem you have -- which is why going up to the regional office is best, because you can say things like "My local office has taken me off the route for having a dog, and I've never owned a dog in my life!"

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    About 10% of my mail that comes to me gets returned as "undeliverable". My parents just found out they didn't get a bunch of cards that people sent them, with money in it.

It's not just you, I don't think.

At least Canada Post is nice to still send the card after they stole your cash.

EskimoDave on
  • MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    EggyToast wrote: »
    The proper thing to do is to report to your local office, and if that doesn't do anything, escalate to your regional office.

I've had numerous delays and oddities with the post office, with mail coming incredibly late, even things with delivery confirmation. Each time, we called and then a couple days later it would show up. It turns out it was just sitting at our local office (and no one there bothered to look for it or deliver it).

Eventually we escalated to our regional office, stating that there were numerous Priority and Delivery Confirmation packages that were arriving 2-3 weeks late for no reason (because something was late AGAIN). That item showed up the next day, and we've had no problems since.

If there's bad management at the local office, they won't correct whatever problem you have -- which is why going up to the regional office is best, because you can say things like "My local office has taken me off the route for having a dog, and I've never owned a dog in my life!"

I've already been doing this and so far it has only fixed it for a max of 3 weeks at a time. Then its back to all the excuses they give. The thing is that this is real sudden. I've lived at this address most of my life and until the beginning of 2009 no one has ever had a problem with the mail here.

MushroomStick on
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Last year a couple GameFly games were mysteriously disappearing before reaching my mailbox (we have one of those locked community mailboxes). I'm not sure what the deal was, but after I called and bitched out the postal manager, it hasn't happened again - and one that was "lost" showed up 15 days later.

Are you sure your mailbox isn't being tampered with? When we had a mailbox on the house itself many years ago, a kid got caught stealing mail from people in the whole neighborhood.

Ganluan on
  • oncelingonceling Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Stay home one day and sit out by the mailbox. (Yes, I'm serious).

When your mailperson arrives, ask them about the issues, obviously don't insinuate that you blame them but you may get lucky if you are approachable and easy going and they'll tell you what the crap is really going on. Tell them that you were told they were chased down by a dog and ask them what the dog looked like and reassure them it wasn't yours. Also ask about the obstruction and if anything legit comes of the conversation offer to try and fix it.

If they seem sketchy as hell then you can take it up with the office just as Eggy said, all of which is great advice.

onceling on
    edited July 2009
    onceling wrote: »
    Stay home one day and sit out by the mailbox. (Yes, I'm serious).

When your mailperson arrives, ask them about the issues, obviously don't insinuate that you blame them but you may get lucky if you are approachable and easy going and they'll tell you what the crap is really going on. Tell them that you were told they were chased down by a dog and ask them what the dog looked like and reassure them it wasn't yours. Also ask about the obstruction and if anything legit comes of the conversation offer to try and fix it.

If they seem sketchy as hell then you can take it up with the office just as Eggy said, all of which is great advice.

A few months ago this house was removed from the route because my mailbox was supposedly obstructed. After about a week of no mail, we saw the mail person climbing over a snow bank to get to the neighbors' house, skipping mine in the process, so we asked her why our house was being skipped and were rudely told that she didn't have to talk to us and that if we have a problem with that to go ahead and complain to the post master. We had already made that complaint a few days prior and when the guy showed up he said he had no idea why the carrier would have taken us off the the route as there was no obstruction. Then about a week and a half later we went a few days without mail again and when it finally showed up it had "undeliverable - dog tied up in front of door" written all over it.

And things have been going in circles like this.

MushroomStick on
  • Shark_MegaByteShark_MegaByte Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Inexcusable postal BS

If that was me, I'd consider videotaping the carrier skipping my place of residence - making sure to capture the total lack of obstructions and menacing animals present at the time - and sending the recording to the local and regional managers. This can't go on, and a recording like that would have to get results. (Would not do this unless other complaints have been ineffective, though - people do deserve a chance to correct their mistakes)

Shark_MegaByte on
    edited July 2009
    Inexcusable postal BS

If that was me, I'd consider videotaping the carrier skipping my place of residence - making sure to capture the total lack of obstructions and menacing animals present at the time - and sending the recording to the local and regional managers. This can't go on, and a recording like that would have to get results. (Would not do this unless other complaints have been ineffective, though - people do deserve a chance to correct their mistakes)

That's an interesting idea. Anyone happen to know of any freeware that'll take a time lapse video with date/time stamps through a web cam?

MushroomStick on
  • DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    There's Yawcam, we use it to monitor our anxious dog when we're out. It's free, and can take snapshots at any interval you want, can even automatically dump these in an FTP.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • KillgrimageKillgrimage Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have zero faith in the post office on most days. When I lived in the city, we had a lot of trouble with Netflix, mostly with the postman not taking the mail that was in our mailbox. And sometimes it wasn't just Netflix, sometimes it was letters with bills in them. Complaining did nothing, and it wasn't until years later that someone mentioned the postal people didn't take mail in the city because most of them walked around and it was too much trouble.

What.

But okay, by that time I was moving away to suburbia again and since I'd never had a problem there, I thought things would be fine. But we've run in to the same problems here, with mailmen not TAKING mail. We had an invoice sent to us twice because even though we paid it, the mailman hadn't taken the fucking letter.

The job, while time consuming, is not difficult. I'm a lazy person, but this is a BASIC thing postal workers are supposed to do. Fuck, it's 50% of the job, bringing mail, taking mail. Talk about half assed.

I'm sorry, this is more of a rant than help. I guess my answer is yes, I have seen a decline in good service.

Killgrimage on
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I really didn't think postal workers were supposed to take mail... like, you're talking about leaving a letter in your mail box that you want to mail out? Do they really do that in the States?

LaOs on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    LaOs wrote: »
    I really didn't think postal workers were supposed to take mail... like, you're talking about leaving a letter in your mail box that you want to mail out? Do they really do that in the States?

Only if the horse has enough fresh water, :)

Oh yes, they'll come to homes or apartment buildings and pick up the mail when they drop it off. Generally any letter/paper sized items are fine, I think they want you to call ahead for boxes and things. Otherwise you can drop off at postboxes scattered around town or at a post office (doesn't have to be your city).

MichaelLC on
  • SolandraSolandra Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It may also depend on the service profile for your area. My parents' service recently required that people move their mailboxes from doorside to streetside so the carrier could drive by and do the deed without getting out of the truck.

When I lived in an apartment building, I mailed my outgoing stuff from work or a postbox, rather than risking a mixup in my mailbox. Not all tenants collected their mail daily, and there's not a flag to put up to alert the carrier that there's stuff to go out.

Now that I live in a house, with a mailbox next to the street, I put in my outgoing stuff, raise the flag, and it is magically replaced by incoming stuff, and my new netflix arrives a couple of days later. (All of the wonderment and shiney in this process is a side effect of having a house for the first time in fifteen years).

Solandra on
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    A lot of communities don't even allow outgoing mail anymore because of mail theft problems. Fortunately, we have a mailbox at work.

Ganluan on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009

Yes. Most mail boxes have the little lever/flags on them that you're supposed to turn up indicating mail that's being sent out. Long as I turn the lever up, I've had no problems with them collecting my mail.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That's odd. Who knew that tossing sensitive mail into a box on the corner was more reliable than in the safety and security of your own building?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

Yes. Most mail boxes have the little lever/flags on them that you're supposed to turn up indicating mail that's being sent out. Long as I turn the lever up, I've had no problems with them collecting my mail.

Well, I didn't know that.

I thought the mailbox flag was to indicate there had been mail delivered.

I don't know that CanadaPost will take letters this way, and most people don't have the flag-type boxes.

LaOs on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Report to your post master.

They should be pretty serious about lazy mail carriers, which is probably the source of your problem.

Sheep on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    if the post master does nothing, you could file a complaint with the police. Postal theft is a felony.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • NostregarNostregar Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    About 2 months ago, my girlfriend was mailed a very nice necklace by a friend of ours as a gift. It was wrapped up and padded and was in the envelope with a card.

When it arrived, the end of the envelope had been slit open. Curious, we opened it and looked. The padding around the necklace had also been neatly slit open and the necklace was gone. We didn't even know what had been there until we read the card.

We complained to her local USPS office, but they pretty much said tough shit.

Fucking hate the USPS.

Nostregar on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Nostregar wrote: »
    About 2 months ago, my girlfriend was mailed a very nice necklace by a friend of ours as a gift. It was wrapped up and padded and was in the envelope with a card.

When it arrived, the end of the envelope had been slit open. Curious, we opened it and looked. The padding around the necklace had also been neatly slit open and the necklace was gone. We didn't even know what had been there until we read the card.

We complained to her local USPS office, but they pretty much said tough shit.

Fucking hate the USPS.

This is why you should always insure packages or if they are super important send them registered.

VisionOfClarity on
  • NostregarNostregar Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My problem was less with the fact that it was stolen than with the fact that the post office just totally didn't care.

So what I'm saying is, the USPS sucks in many different places and ways, OP.

Nostregar on
  • Vater5BVater5B Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    From my understanding, the problems with the post office are coming from the top down. A family member of mine worked for the post office for ~15 years and quit after having more and more staff laid off without being replaced so the bigwigs at USPS could save money. They would just let someone go/force retirement, and then divide chunks of their route among other workers. Afterwards, they would send out inspectors who would tell the letter carriers that they needed to get their old 8 hour routes, plus the chunks of the new route done in under 8 hours. This would occur over and over again, downsizing the staff, adding to their workload, and then reprimanding them for not doing more work in the same amount of time as their old work.

The Letter Carrier union isn't very happy right now.

Vater5B on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    All I know is that for the first time in my life of writing letters to different people, I finally have had a letter not only not arrive at the destination, but it never came back to me either as undeliverable. I don't know where it got to and a letter I sent two weeks after that actually made it in record time. Don't really understand what is going on, but at least I'm not the only one, nor am I actually being treated that badly by the looks of things in this thread.

Nitsua on