As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

OMEGATHON THREAD! (Bow down before your OMEGA-MASTERS)

• Options
    ProxfordProxford Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Every time I see a post by Proxford, I just think that it's the sophisticated, top-hat-wearing, monocled version of Prox.
    muhh.jpg

And I get really confused. :P
    I look just like that, only with longer hair, and a little thinner.

Proxford on
    09 Omeganaut
    I'm excited
  • Options
    RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm going to assume they're fucking with us and going to bust out some random rhythm game.
    Marky_Mark_and_the_Funky_Bunch_Make_My_Video_Cover.jpg

Randomfool on
    I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • Options
    Joey GekoJoey Geko Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I will be quite disappointed if Jenga is not inserted into the Omegathon this year....

Joey Geko on
    Douche-Bag, Intellectual, Elitist Scum, Well-read Traveler, Nabob, Member of the Class of Omeganaut '08. The Omeganaut.
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Joey Geko wrote: »
    I will be quite disappointed if Jenga is not inserted into the Omegathon this year....

prepared to be disappointed, connect 4 is the tabletop game.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2009
    I updated the OP with the names of all the omeganauts and the round information (finally!). If you want your forum handle associated with your name, post it here or PM or whatever to let me know who you are.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Every time I see a post by Proxford, I just think that it's the sophisticated, top-hat-wearing, monocled version of Prox.
    muhh.jpg

And I get really confused. :P

bwahahaha

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    BigRed wrote: »

Jenga is the finale. That would be messed up!

parabola on
  • Options
    AbsintheMindedAbsintheMinded Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    parabola wrote: »
    BigRed wrote: »

Jenga is the finale. That would be messed up!

As much as everyone likes to see that "game" traumatise the Omeganauts.... that final would be painfull for everyone; the competitors, the crowd and even for Tycho as he'd have to try to do an entertaining play-by-play for repetitive block removal.

Though in that light it might be seen as karmic justice by the 07 and 08 Omeganaut alumni. lol.

AbsintheMinded on
  • Options
    HiroconHirocon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm very excited for the Bookworm Adventures round. I just hope the competition is timed somehow. I don't want someone spending an hour on a single move mentally iterating through the game's entire dictionary.

I glad to see Jenga won't be played this year. Those rounds were painful to watch. However, I don't like the idea of Connect Four. The player who moves first in that game has a forced win with perfect play. Even if nobody can memorize the perfect play strategy, the player who moves first has a HUGE advantage. If they play fair matches (playing multiple games alternating who goes first until someone has a lead in points after an even number of games) then a match could go on forever. If they DON'T play fair matches (i.e., if they just toss a coin to see who goes first), then I feel there is too much luck involved.

Hirocon on
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I agree with you on the Connect Four there, Hirocon. Even if alternating starters and playing to a set number of games, the first-player advantage could prove to be a deciding factor. I really enjoyed the Jenga round, though. Are there any other non-electronic games out there that could have a good stage presence and don't take too long to resolve? Hmm...

As for Bookworm Adventures, if the Peggle round from last year's competition is any indication, it'll probably be a timed competition on one or multiple mini-games. Perhaps something like a half-hour to try and gain the highest score possible, where the lowest four scores out of all the competitors are eliminated at the end of the time period.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I had no idea Connect Four had been "solved" like Tic Tac Toe. That really sucks, no matter how difficult it is to pull off.

Also, you know what would make a good team-tabletop round? If one year they announce that Chess is one of the rounds, but then when it's time for the game they split everyone into 2 player teams and play Bughouse.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It's sad, because I like the idea of a completely thinking game. Why not Arimaa? The game is nowhere close to being solved, there is built in compensation for the first-move advantage (the player who moves second gets to see the initial placement of the other player's pieces before placing his own), and the game cannot end in a draw.

Hirocon on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The bughouse chess idea is awesome, although it would be a little cruel to trick the players that way.

Hirocon on
  • Options
    KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I still stand by Twister as an awesome Omeganaut choice. Maybe for 2010!

And Simon would be absolutely brutal. That game really knew how to eff you.

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You never know, guys, they did call off Pac-Man because of the "Solved" issue. Though you think they would have done at least a little perfunctory research.

Rius on
  • Options
    awitelintstaawitelintsta Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Connect Four can be solved? Hrm. I hadn't even considered that. Then again, I haven't even started practicing it...

awitelintsta on
    http://awitelintsta.gamerdna.com/
    Roleplayer, Pirate, and 2009 Omeganaut :D
  • Options
    Bob JackassBob Jackass Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, I think Connect Four really boils down to a select few strategies. Mine will be to not lose.

Bob Jackass on
    Check out my actual, real life rock band!

Xbox Live - Bob Jackass || Playstation - Cosby__Sweater || Steam - Bob Jackass

Twitter
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Race to complete three "Beginner" level Sudoku puzzles!

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I am putting down my support for dev Eric Moran. Because he is a cool guy.

Good luck, Omeganauts. Has there been any announcement to an equivalent ECPAX tournament? Deltathon?

Goose! on
  • Options
    WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yes, there was much discussion around Connect 4 on the weekend, and there's a whole thesis on how to win every time you play (if you go first).

I believe there were just 6 specific things you had to do for perfect play.

Wormdundee on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Goose, I'm afraid to ask what the blue creature in your signature is.

Rius on
  • Options
    Joey GekoJoey Geko Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The factor that we need to keep take into account is that there has is always a switch. The list we have seen, I am sure, is not the list that will actually be played. One or more of the games will change, either out of the realization that a game has been solved, or because they planned the switch from the beginning.

Never been a 'Thon without a switch, right?

Joey Geko on
    Douche-Bag, Intellectual, Elitist Scum, Well-read Traveler, Nabob, Member of the Class of Omeganaut '08. The Omeganaut.
  • Options
    cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    FFF I love Connect Four!
    I hope the rhythem game is Para Para Paradise.. Or Parappa the Rapper! XD

cocowoushi on
  • Options
    bl00kbl00k Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Darin Blanchard could also be referred to as one [-F69-]bl00k. Ready to represent the Fighting 69th.

bl00k on
    [-F69-]bl00k
    The Fighting 69th
  • Options
    AikanakaAikanaka Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    Race to complete three "Beginner" level Sudoku puzzles!

Oh hells no. That's the game I put as my least favorite game. If one of the games gets switched with this one, I'm screwed.

Which means I better practice it NOW.

Aikanaka on
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Speed Sudoku would be amazing. Put it up on whiteboards and have the players solve them on stage, like at the Sudoku Championships. The key to a good game for the non-electronic round is something that is highly visible and has a playtime of about a half-hour, while being relatively easy to explain and conduct. I wonder if Carcassonne would work? Of course, it's also got an electronic version on XBLA. Hmm.
    jdarksun wrote: »
    07 was "vocal game" -> "guitar game" -> "OK, it's Rock Band." What'd they do in 08?

Rock Band --> Rock Band 2? *shrug*

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Carcassonne would probably take too long.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • Options
    awitelintstaawitelintsta Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    BTW, I'm Rachel Kraft. You can associate me. I don't mind.

awitelintsta on
    http://awitelintsta.gamerdna.com/
    Roleplayer, Pirate, and 2009 Omeganaut :D
  • Options
    LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm Alejandra Garcia.

If it wasn't for the fact that I was flying in I'd totally bring my shitkicker hat to wear in the 'thon.

Yeah I'm starting to wonder if there will be a switch with Connect Four. Maybe we'll have to bob for apples or the cure to a mysterious disease they secretly exposed us to. Think of the excitement then! Those eliminated have a very beautiful wreath sent to their next of kin...

Lokiale on
    East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    contrefait wrote: »
    Carcassonne would probably take too long.
    The Jenga round took two hours in 07.

I'd like to see a fast-paced RTS in the future. It seems like a 1v1 Dawn of War 2 would have been an excellent choice.

Except Dawn of War 2 pretty much needs a complete overhaul to have decent the factions balanced.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    07 was "vocal game" -> "guitar game" -> "OK, it's Rock Band." What'd they do in 08?

Round 3 was actually supposed to be Pictionary with a Win, Lose, or Draw type flavor. It was changed out in favor of Geometry Wars :)

shugarae on
    Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3
  • Options
    ProxfordProxford Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, they got my name wrong, it says Jackson Foster, but my real name is Jackson Van Dyck.
    They should definitly have the final be either the original Super Smash Bros. or Goldeneye.

Proxford on
    09 Omeganaut
    I'm excited
  • Options
    hanshans Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I was getting ready to say it was okay to tie my forum/twitter info to my name, but saw it was done already.

I guess when use your real name(s) for internet stuff it's not that hard to figure out.

hans on
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Proxford wrote: »
    Yeah, they got my name wrong, it says Jackson Foster, but my real name is Jackson Van Dyck.
    They should definitly have the final be either the original Super Smash Bros. or Goldeneye.

Goldeneye! Yesssssssss.

1 on 1 on facility ftw. Or do a 3 round with Facility, Complex and uh Temple?

parabola on
  • Options
    RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I would like to reveal my secret omeganaut identity. I am Ryan Taylor.

Randomfool on
    I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • Options
    eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It *is* possible to win if you go second. I'm still working on it, but yeah, it would SUCK to have that be a coin flip or something because of the huge advantage of going first.

I bet they're going to switch out Connect Four for Jenga. XD

eye-shuh on
  • Options
    emarecksaykayemarecksaykay Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Schedule is up.

Friday:
    10:00 AM to 11:00 AM = Mario Kart (Serpent Theatre)
    4:30 PM to 5:30 PM = Bookworm Adventures (PC Tournament Room)

Saturday:
    2:30 PM to 3:30 PM = ODST (Serpent Theatre)
    8:30 PM to 9:30 PM = Rhythm Game (Main Theatre)

Sunday:
    10:00 AM to 11:00 AM = Connect Four (Serpent Theatre)
    5:00 PM to 6:00 PM = Final Round (Main Theatre)

So, looks like people wanting to catch all the action should head to the Serpent Theatre as soon as you get in the door Friday and Sunday, and be sure to stay late Saturday and Sunday.

emarecksaykay on
    -mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    (You just say the letters)
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Will spectators be able to watch the Bookworm Adventures round?

Hirocon on
  • Options
    LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Would spectators want to watch the Bookworm round? The game is tons of fun but not all that exciting to watch.

Some of us will live and die in the Theatre of Serpents, spooky.

Lokiale on
    East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I was actually looking forward to the Bookworm Adventures round most. I want to see the omeganauts' mad vocabulary skills.

Hirocon on
This discussion has been closed.