As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Valkyria Chronicles Series Thread- Sega ruins all the things. ALL OF THEM.

• Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    What's the install base of PS3 owners to PSP owners?

Not sure, but week-to-week sales in the US of both devices seems to imply that the PSP outsells the PS3

not sure though

Rent on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    Now the big question is what they plan to do for the next generation.

PSP2 or 3DS?

I'm still convinced Sony's "PSP2" is their dumb deal with Samsung or whoever to make a Droid-like device.

It would sort of make sense considering pretty much all of their PSP ad campaigns lately involve taking pot shots at the iPhone.

That's exactly the reasoning behind my prediction on that. Everyone in the industry thread calls me crazy though.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    yaaaaaay

man i love mspa

homestuck is the illest

oh man looks like i'm going to have to make a new thread soon

fuuuuuuuuck

anyone else want a crack at it or do y'all want me to make it? honest opinions

what are your thoughts here? because if i'm going to be the next op I'll need to know like tonight so i can start tomorrow, judging by rate of fill of this thread

Rent on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Why you gotta hurt me henroid.

Why you gotta hurt me. :(

Misery loves company, baby.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I just noticed the thread title, I'm glad I could inspire change.

Henroid on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Posting in this thread is basically the same as PMing Rent, except with much bigger storage space

Are they ever bringing VC2 to the PS3? I ask this because I will never own a PSP.

I almost wish I had a YouTube video of Avan's laugh I could link to here. :P

EDIT:

Guess I'll make my own, then!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    In celebration of this awesome news I will go listen to some Valkyria Chronicles II Main Theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktsZDEfxM9E

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Why you gotta hurt me henroid.

Why you gotta hurt me. :(

Misery loves company, baby.

For US$20 more you can buy a PS3 in the US at the same price as you can buy a PSP here in australia.

Just a fun fact.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    OH MY GOD

ZERI'S SPEEDO

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Rent on
  • Options
    MattakuevanMattakuevan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Whoa, VC3 January 27, 2011 in Japan. Sooner than I expected.

Mattakuevan on
  • Options
    hobbifiedhobbified Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This is your guys' fault, you goddamn enablers. D:

It's been posted in the thread before, but an article from months ago mentioned that Sega would go back to PS3 if VC2 did well.

Looks like they changed their minds. :(

Nobody actually ever said that. It was more like "well, we'd like to do a game on the PS3 again, and if VC2 sells well, who knows what might happen?" They didn't say VC2 would ever be on PS3, they didn't say VC3 would ever be on PS3. They just kind of left it dangling out there, so that people could have their wishful thoughts, but they never committed to anything.

Still sucks though. Don't get me wrong, VC2 is a really solid game, but I want CANVAS in HD and characters that I can actually see even when they're rendered in 3D and bigger maps and not having to hear the same canned "Ha-ha-HAW-HAW-HAW" out of Avan 300 times in one game.

hobbified on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Now the next question is whether Sega will localize this after VC2's inevitable crash and burn in the states.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thus far VC2's done reasonably well.

Also:
    Noooo it's on the goddamned PSP again...

Oh well. It's not like I don't love VC2. I was just really hoping for a return to console. Again.

I've felt this feeling before - I'll get over it again.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Also, from 1up: (sorry if this is old news)

"Like the previous two games, it will take place in the war-torn land of Gallia, but feature an independent story and a completely brand-new cast of characters. The magazine also notes that the plot will take place at the same time as the first game; it'll focus on the "Nameless," a penal battalion formed entirely of AWOL soldiers, army lawbreakers, and convicted criminals pressed into military service. This group handles covert missions and other under-the-table stuff for the Gallian government, and as you'd expect, they have a pretty high rate of attrition.

News that the series is staying on the PS3 is, in itself, enough to disappoint a lot of Japanese gamers. "If it's on a portable, then I don't need it," one anonymous commenter wrote on Japanese forum site 2ch.net. "I wanted something like how the first game was, but no... 2 was a disappointment to me, so I don't have any expectations at all for this one."

Why stay on the PSP, then? According to Motoyama, because there wasn't much reason not to. "This is the third game in the series, but only the second one on the PSP," he told Famitsu. "I figured that we should introduce new things to the series and let it mature more [on the PSP]. Of course, I know there are gamers who wanted us to release it on the PS3, but since the first Valkyria came out two years ago, I think we'd need a wholly different idea for the PS3, not something where the gameplay's only been updated a little bit. The problem with that, though, is that I don't think such a game would be Valkyria any longer."

While Motoyama is open to future PS3 developments, it seems that Valkyria is firmly planted on the PSP for now. "I want to make games on the right platform for the ideas I have. However -- for now, at least -- we're making the best Valkyria Chronciles that we can come up with." "

Chance on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    okay so the idea of playing with a bunch of lawbreakers is so awesome I'm willing to let the whole psp thing slide

once

Rent on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    You've already let it slide once. This would be twice.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Infodump from NeoGAF:
    - The game does not adopt a mission system like the second game - instead as you read through the story battles occur.
    - Story will be definitely darker than the second game - but not all darkness and tragedy, they'll be the same sense of comradeship as in other Valkyria games.
    - The command and action modes have been renewed, and the number of things you can do has been increased. There'll be a demo at TGS that lets you try out Riera's Valkyria mode and the unleashing of Imuka's weapon abilities - the heroines' 'super modes', but there will be other new elements too.
    - The area system from the second game will be kept, but they'll be wider.
    - You'll be able to fight giant tanks like the Batomys from the first game on several occasions with different attack strategies. There'll be a number of other unique situations to get you excited too.
    - Changing the class system so individual characters are more, er, individual. As far as the classes go, they're aiming for quality not quantity, so some will be unified, and they want to further strengthen the role of each class. (About 20 playables total)
    - Because they want to aim for more enjoyment of the story, the 'ingredient collection' elements have been reduced. There is also no ad-hoc wireless mode.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ahh - I thought I saw a playable Valkyrie on the Famitsu scans. Sweet.

Chance on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Infodump from NeoGAF:
    - The game does not adopt a mission system like the second game - instead as you read through the story battles occur.
    - Story will be definitely darker than the second game - but not all darkness and tragedy, they'll be the same sense of comradeship as in other Valkyria games.
    - The command and action modes have been renewed, and the number of things you can do has been increased. There'll be a demo at TGS that lets you try out Riera's Valkyria mode and the unleashing of Imuka's weapon abilities - the heroines' 'super modes', but there will be other new elements too.
    - You'll be able to fight giant tanks like the Batomys from the first game on several occasions with different attack strategies. There'll be a number of other unique situations to get you excited too.
    - Changing the class system so individual characters are more, er, individual. As far as the classes go, they're aiming for quality not quantity, so some will be unified, and they want to further strengthen the role of each class. (About 20 playables total)
    - Because they want to aim for more enjoyment of the story, the 'ingredient collection' elements have been reduced. There is also no ad-hoc wireless mode.

There is nothing about this post that doesn't have me frothing at the mouth.

Except the lack of wireless I guess, that's a little sad but no big loss if the rest of the game is awesome enough.

It's going to be awesome enough.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Grayjack72Grayjack72 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    No PS3? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I would really love another VC on the PS3. I just feel it's better suited for the PS3.

Grayjack72 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Fucking fuck yes this game looks badical

Rent on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Chance wrote: »
    You've already let it slide once. This would be twice.

And don't you forget it

Rent on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Grayjack72 wrote: »
    No PS3? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I would really love another VC on the PS3. I just feel it's better suited for the PS3.

Here's the thing:

VC1 is indeed best as a PS3 game. That's what it was designed around being. By contrast, VC2 has the gameplay flow changed rather drastically, so that it now is best on the PSP. What they do with VC3 is anyone's guess, but I'm confident the team developing this knows what it's doing.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    yeah VC2 has superior gameplay

VC1 has superior graphics and storyline, but judging by the previews VC3 is gonna have a radass storyline and it's only the graphics which'll take a hit

which is kind of

whatever

Rent on
  • Options
    CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I passed on VC2 but this one looks a lot more appealing. Color me hyped.

CyborgZeta on
    "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • Options
    ValkyriaX01ValkyriaX01 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Also, from 1up: (sorry if this is old news)

Why stay on the PSP, then? According to Motoyama, because there wasn't much reason not to. "This is the third game in the series, but only the second one on the PSP," he told Famitsu. "I figured that we should introduce new things to the series and let it mature more [on the PSP]. Of course, I know there are gamers who wanted us to release it on the PS3, but since the first Valkyria came out two years ago, I think we'd need a wholly different idea for the PS3, not something where the gameplay's only been updated a little bit. The problem with that, though, is that I don't think such a game would be Valkyria any longer."

While Motoyama is open to future PS3 developments, it seems that Valkyria is firmly planted on the PSP for now. "I want to make games on the right platform for the ideas I have. However -- for now, at least -- we're making the best Valkyria Chronciles that we can come up with." "
    When translated into Japan-glish, that basically means: "We had 2 ideas for VC2; but we decided to go for a lighthearted one just to cater to the otaku who love school life filled with war as well as to serve as a fully functional tech demo. But don't worry, we serioused the fuck up and made the 3rd VC grimdark comradeship fun. And we've added all these super-special weapons that you never saw in VC1, just because we felt like making the fights against the Empire play out like Monster Hunter."

"But because we like playing coy, we secretly have plans for a PS3 VC game; we're just going to deny it at this time."

Ah well, I'm not going to complain much; seeing as how we get to actually use a Valkyria (at least a half-Valkyria) and another girl with a Hyper Mode. To be honest though, I first thought that upon seeing those images, the half-Valkyria was Alicia's mother, and that it was some sort of grimdark prequel.
    Infodump from NeoGAF:

Thank god. I'm sick and tired of farming for resources just to maintain my army! It's bad enough that I use most of the materials to maintain my tank/APC, my snipers, and the occasional coating.

ValkyriaX01 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    April beat! Baldren took just over a full turn of eating tank rounds. After that, I just went about capping the maps. Though I only got a d rank :(

edit - fuck me, they said the 2 things I wanted to hear. The story will be darker! I don't mind the happy atmosphere of VC 2, but they're in a war... Something akin to VC 1's atmosphere would be excellent. And you get your own personal Valkyria in your squad, which has super powers... awesome.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't like the idea of using Valkyria in VC3. Overpowered units like the tank in VC2 dumb down the strategy.

As for features I'd really like a better AI that can move the same guy more than once in a round and is smarter about capping bases.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I know you forgo an A if you don't cap
    Baldren
    , but he's such a dick - oh, we shoulda' spoilered this.

Eh, I'll just spoiler his name. If you don't hammer a few tank shells into him, you don't get the satisfaction of hammering him with tank shells - and that's just something I'm not willing to give up.

Bam! Cannon to the face!

Chance on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The problem is he dodges like a fucking pro. I just took to aiming at his feet.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Here we go.
    snap010.jpg

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    ValkyriaX01ValkyriaX01 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Some extra info from neogaf. Just a rough set of names, their planned Japanese Voice Actors, and some additional info.
    - Set in the same period as Valkyria 1.
    - Key characters all new.
    - Focuses around a group called the Nameless which are... ergh. Closest English word seems to be a penal battalion, the Japanese definition according to Wikipedia is "Special group in the army composed of deserters and other military offenders. In the broader sense it doesn't have to be military offenders, and can be composed of general criminals as well. These units are often given dangerous or unpleasant missions such as the burying of corpses or the removal of land mines."

Number 01 - Imuka. One of the heroines (the one on the right). Darcsen. Something about her village being destroyed by the Valkyria.
    VA: Asano Masumi

Number 07 - Kurt Irving. Used to be a genius military officer, but through certain circumstances became part of the Nameless. The guy in the middle.
    VA: Nakamura Yuuichi

Numvber 13 - Riera Malseris. Valkyria, but she isn't aware of it, and after being the only survivor (of numerous battles I guess), she became known as a Reaper and ended up in the Nameless. The obvious girl on the left.
    VA: Endou Aya

ValkyriaX01 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Oh wow, a penal battalion? That's certainly something new for the series.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »

Yeah... is it just me or does aiming for the feet have absolutely zero effect in VC2? I have never aimed for the feet, had them dodge, and still did damage.

Also,
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Here we go.
    snap010.jpg

Woo! Thank you!

That is going in the review.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Yeah... is it just me or does aiming for the feet have absolutely zero effect in VC2? I have never aimed for the feet, had them dodge, and still did damage.

I aim at the feet because, if she misses, I don't want the shell flying off somewhere. I had that happen once, with 1 shot left to kill him, and the tank shell smacked Avan in the face. It was hilarious, but cost me the mission.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh wow, a penal battalion? That's certainly something new for the series.

It's a fucking fantastic idea. I can't wait to... play... this... :(

Suriko on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Seems like almost the entire Famitsu article has been examined here. It's not a direct translation, but it's a lengthy look.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I really love the name

As a matter of fact I just love the idea for this storyline, it sounds so awesome and hopefully recaptures that military essence that VC1 had from time to time- of being, despite its animeness, a thoughtful and interesting look in how a military at war functions

Rent on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Every single one of those elements of VC3 sounds fantastic. As much as I'm enjoying VC2, I'll be waiting on bated breath for a VC3 localization announcement, and am already looking forward to it a tiny bit more than what I'm actually playing. Oh well; if you can't be with the one you love ...

Also, just scraped my way through the epic April story mission, and Jesus, you guys were right about things getting crazy. I do kind of hope they improve the AI some in Vc3; as much as I really appreciated it, the enemy had a massive amount of fuck ups on its last few turns, which actually gave me the win. (And on a side note: It seems completely strange than the flamethrower turret should be able to one-shot stationary gatling turrets.)

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I can't afford to be buying more games right now. But I'm currently downloading VC2 because I want to give Sega the sort of sales numbers they need to localize VC3.

In related news, I love/hate you all and the glorious/wallet destroying news you bring me. VC3 looks fucking fantastic.

I think when I get a paycheck or two I'll look into upgrading from my old and busted launch PSP to a newer and sexier PSP 3000. See what you guys are doing to me? Ugh, fuck you all. Especially you Rent for getting me into this series in the first place, you magnificent bastard. At first I was like "oh hey that looks cool" and then I read your OP(s) and I was like "daaaaaaaaaaayum" and the next thing I know I was making signature images and pouring over fanart.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Already like Imuka more than Riera

She builds her own weapons! Which means she's the mad scientist that created that monstrous MH-esque Gunlance.

Maddoc on