As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Valkyria Chronicles Series Thread- Sega ruins all the things. ALL OF THEM.

• RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeaaaaaaaaaaaah 8-)

Of course it all roots back to Chance and him and the old sig brigade before I got into the act

(but don't tell him that he'll hang it over my head)

Rent on
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    I really love the name

As a matter of fact I just love the idea for this storyline, it sounds so awesome and hopefully recaptures that military essence that VC1 had from time to time- of being, despite its animeness, a thoughtful and interesting look in how a military at war functions

:^: Granted, I haven't finished 2, but I'm definitely missing that aspect in it. The thing is VC1 was strength (graphics) upon strength (story) upon strength (gameplay), and VC2 is just strength (gameplay), with a story that is enjoyable, sometimes.
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Already like Imuka more than Riera

She builds her own weapons! Which means she's the mad scientist that created that monstrous MH-esque Gunlance.

Agreed. Zeri (and Zaka) aside, it's about time we had a Darcsen badass.

...edit:
    Yeaaaaaaaaaaaah 8-)

Of course it all roots back to Chance and him and the old sig brigade before I got into the act

(but don't tell him that he'll hang it over my head)

It was you, me, Henroid and... I think Snugglesworth. I'm sure I'm missing someone, though. We seriously got the word out.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    edited September 2010
    VC2's gameplay is admittedly so, so much better than VC1's

it's like night and fucking day, I kinda dread going back to VC1 after seeing all of the vast improvements to EVERYTHING VC2 brought to the table

Rent on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lunker wrote: »
    Also, just scraped my way through the epic April story mission, and Jesus, you guys were right about things getting crazy. I do kind of hope they improve the AI some in Vc3; as much as I really appreciated it, the enemy had a massive amount of fuck ups on its last few turns, which actually gave me the win. (And on a side note: It seems completely strange than the flamethrower turret should be able to one-shot stationary gatling turrets.)

Baldren was hilarious when I beat it. I just ran around in circles and didn't hit anyone.

-Loki- on
    edited September 2010

it's like night and fucking day, I kinda dread going back to VC1 after seeing all of the vast improvements to EVERYTHING VC2 brought to the table

Like playing MGS2 after 3. It's like, where the fuck is my CQC?

Chance on
    edited September 2010
    You forget chrono helix and carbonfire, too

Rent on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Chance wrote: »

Like playing MGS2 after 3. It's like, where the fuck is my CQC?

You guys are making me want to not go and play VC 1 :(

-Loki- on
    edited September 2010
    oh man we're almost hitting thread five

thread five of a game series that has no (significant) online multiplayer. rare indeed

Rent on
    edited September 2010

thread five of a game series that has no (significant) online multiplayer. rare indeed

Mass Effect thread would like a word with you.

Though that's mostly 90+ pages of talking about Talis poopsacks.

-Loki- on
    edited September 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »

Well yeah, I didn't disagree there

though seriously I'm trying to think of a game, or game series, without (significant) online multiplayer that has had five threads or more devoted to the subject

ME, FF, SMT, and uh that's about it

Rent on
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    God damnit, Sega.

I mean, I own a PSP now, but none of my friends who love VC do.

I'm going to have to loan this fucker out so hard :(

Guys, any sales on VC2 still going? I missed the Kmart one because of poor.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man. I love my psp fat. Fuck yall.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    After buying a PS3 for Valkyria Chronicles, I can't justify buying a PSP as well. The wholesale move to PSP annoys me probably more than it should because of that.

That said I can't say I'm wholly convinced by their reasonings for it, either. Oh well.

Suriko on
    edited September 2010
    Suriko wrote: »
    After buying a PS3 for Valkyria Chronicles, I can't justify buying a PSP as well. The wholesale move to PSP annoys me probably more than it should because of that.

That said I can't say I'm wholly convinced by their reasonings for it, either. Oh well.

If anything, I can see them doing it from a cost perspective. For less cost in developing the game, they can hit a much bigger audience. Whether they can afford to make them on PS3 is probably secondary - the potential for actual profit is greater.

-Loki- on
    edited September 2010
    Correct. Larger market, smaller dev cost.

Chance on
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Man. I love my psp fat. Fuck yall.

Can't say I wouldn't have liked another iteration of the game on PS3, but this is sounding rad as hell and I don't even care.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »

Well yeah, I didn't disagree there

though seriously I'm trying to think of a game, or game series, without (significant) online multiplayer that has had five threads or more devoted to the subject

ME, FF, SMT, and uh that's about it

Fallout. Fallout 3 thread went through... seven? eight? threads while I was curating it.

edit: I just counted, it was a whopping 14. And then more that Buttcleft did, but who cares about that guy amirite

freakish light on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just read the news.

Pile me along with the camp that is disappointed by this.

I like my awesome RPGs on a console with high def graphics and visuals. Is that so much to ask for?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • hobbifiedhobbified Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Chance wrote: »
    Agreed. Zeri (and Zaka) aside, it's about time we had a Darcsen badass.

Nadine is adorabadass and you know it.

hobbified on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lunker wrote: »
    Every single one of those elements of VC3 sounds fantastic. As much as I'm enjoying VC2, I'll be waiting on bated breath for a VC3 localization announcement, and am already looking forward to it a tiny bit more than what I'm actually playing. Oh well; if you can't be with the one you love ...

^5

Elvenshae on
    edited September 2010
    I just read the news.

I like my awesome RPGs on a console with high def graphics and visuals. Is that so much to ask for?

Especially the bullshit excuse Motoyama gave for keeping it on PSP.

"I think we'd need a wholly different idea for the PS3, not something where the gameplay's only been updated a little bit. The problem with that, though, is that I don't think such a game would be Valkyria any longer."

So... basically you're saying we can never have another PS3 VC, because to do a PS3 VC it would have to be so different it wouldn't be VC? You're a dick.

...oh, that is so going on the blog.

Chance on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The main problem is that I play with my portable systems the least. You'd think the fact it was portable would make it easier to play, but that isn't the case. I have a finite battery time, I have to be somewhere where I know I won't be interrupted, sometimes the screen smudges....

When VC1 was on PS3, I was into it from start to finish, rarely taking a break. I have yet to buy VC2 (mostly because I decided to use my limited funds on KH: BbS, which is an awesome game that everyone with a PSP should be playing).

Also, I highly doubt VC2 has the same awesome looking cutscenes to boot. I fucking hate downgraded sequels.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    VC2's cutscenes are animated, so no. Ignoring that, it's a huge upgrade everywhere else.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • hobbifiedhobbified Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Also, I highly doubt VC2 has the same awesome looking cutscenes to boot. I fucking hate downgraded sequels.

VC1 already had slightly too many talking-heads and not enough full-3D scenes (although it was cool that even the talking heads were clearly the 3D models being rendered through CANVAS).

VC2 has less full-motion, more talking heads, and the talking heads are static portraits that represent interacting with other characters by tilting, sliding across the screen, and making other movements that wouldn't mean anything if the text wasn't telling you what was going on. And maybe now and then they change to another version that's exactly the same except for the face to show emotions (and each character has like... three of them).

So basically it's exactly like a dating sim.

hobbified on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man, you guys have no IMAGINATION. I liked the moving boxes

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    As someone who plays (and enjoys) their fair share of dating sims and visual novels, it's not a mechanic I like seeing employed by other game types. Much less one with a precedent for having cutscenes without them.

Suriko on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm finding the repeated voice clips more annoying.
    "Ahaha, ahahahaha!" SHUT UP AVAN. The renaming options are nice, though. (I named my tank Mako, in dual honor of the Avatar voice actor, and the craziest ride this side of the Milky Way)
    Add me to the 'upset it's not on PS3' brigade.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I hear VC3 is on PSP as well

Suck my fucking cock, Sega. Suck it. Suck it and then I will kick you in the nuts until you bleed to death.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited September 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    Man, you guys have no IMAGINATION. I liked the moving boxes

I would have liked them more if they were animated in some fashion. At all. I don't mind talking head cutscenes, but when it's a completely static portrate that shifts between 3 or 4 poses, it kind of feels a bit lazy.

-Loki- on
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I haven't gotten round to even booting up VC2 yet because I have been busy with other games. Somebody spoil this for me though: Does the game mood ever become more serious like VC1 or is it happy go lucky throughout?

re: VC3 being on PSP, I am sure it will be a good game but hype definitely down now. :(

Moioink on
    edited September 2010
    I'm in... May, and the tone is still pretty peppy. I don't expect it to get serious.

That said, VC 3 is meant to be pretty dark. And it being on PSP... man, I don't mind at all. Nicer graphics would be nice, but I find the game perfectly suits a handheld.

-Loki- on
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It got a little more serious in June.

And from what I gathered in later months a little bit more serious.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    August:
    Dirk dogpile! Due to a couple of bad calls (and not realizing the guy could counterattack me from halfway across the map HOLY SHIT) I ended up throwing everything and the kitchen sink to slowly whittle him down. I think like 6 people got knocked out in the process of the fight, and those that survived were in critical health.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just read the news.

For me, its the idea of presentation. VC was like, "Oh shiiiiiiiiiit" when playing through. It had a convincing story, the story was well-told, the voice acting cast was top-freaking-notch, and it was the first time I saw 3D rendered anime-style characters that was actually great looking.

When VC2 was announced, I hated a lot about it. Almost everything about it appears to be that classic anime bullshit of young folks doing something meant for adults. Sure, VC had sort of the same thing going for it, but it also had the cemented idea that this was an unfortunate time of war and things were stark. VC2 appeared to be taking itself less seriously, especially with the apparent bunny-girl-Selvaria character (still don't know what the fuck is up with that). The characters are from a military academy thinger, and I'm suppose to believe that another war or conflict happens in the wake of VC1's events? The characters in VC1 came from all sorts of walks of life, that was another attraction.

So I equate the PSP to making things more 'kiddy,' less grown-up in presentation, which is completely ironic as fuck.

Henroid on
  • MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That VC1 took itself seriously was one of the game's biggest downfalls. It was unremittingly stupid, yet entirely unaware of that. It flip-flopped between the horrors of war and creepy fanservice beach parties with little to no notice. It wanted to be grown-up, but its central plot point was magical witch girls, and one of its characters is a pig with vestigial wings.

At risk of being unnecessarily insulting: If you think its story was convincing or well-told, you should probably close all your anime torrents and go read a book. Any book will do.

Valkyria Chronicles II is the better game in every respect, to me. It carries a lot of the first game's faults, but it doesn't do anything worse. It's certainly not a downgrade.

Plus I bought a used PSP-1000 for £30 and fuck y'all, for how cheap they can be the PSP is a good console with some amazing games. I am over the moon that the next Valkyria Chronicles is on a handheld, presumably with the same focus on pick-up-and-play that the second has.

Maybe this time they'll give the girls pants.

Mumblyfish on
    edited September 2010
    Mumblyfish wrote: »

I take it you haven't seen the scans.

Pureauthor on
  • MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    Mumblyfish wrote: »
    I take it you haven't seen the scans.
    Well, shit. It looks like the ridiculous gun-blade class isn't rocking the battle skirt, at least.

Or maybe it'll be like VC1 where only the unique characters have awful outfits.

Mumblyfish on
  • Lezard ValethLezard Valeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think sending the VC series to the psp was the logical (business-wise) step:

1. Console SRPG are a niche genre in the west. (The only titles the people play in the west are FPS and Madden).
    2. In japan, the handhelds are insanely popular, so you're going to $ell more.

Also, I'm unable to understand why the people hate the psp so much.

Lezard Valeth on
    firma1m.th.jpg
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm playing Metroid Other M and VC2 simultaneously, and both of their stories and writing have pushed so far past "generically bad" and into "aggressively terrible" that I've just given up and gone completely numb to terrible writing and plots in my games. Uncoincidentally, I'm back at grad school and getting back into lit for lit's sake. Outside of a scant few outliers, I honestly don't care what the story or writing of any game is nowadays; just give me some junk food and let me zone out for a while.

Also, I just did one of the paid missions in May and was pleasantly surprised to find the enemy actually captured my undefended base camp! I was so used to just not even bothering with defense that it was a nice change of pace.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited September 2010
    In August they actually make a token effort! Some of the enemy *gasp* move twice!

Pureauthor on