As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Canadian Smartphones

DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I am joining the Canadian Forces in the very near future I need to get a new cellphone. I have never dealt with a smartphone before and I feel very uneducated compared to other 20 year olds whose lives revolve around their phone. Because I am going to be in the military I can only imagine how much moving around Canada on short notice I will be doing so that should be kept in mind.

Some features I would like to have in my phone.

- Internet
- Full QWERTY
- Windows Live Messenger Mobile

I'm not really looking for actual phone calls but it would be nice for Canada/USA if the price is right. The carrier I'm looking at mainly is Bell but I'm not opposed to other suggestions. I will be willing to sign on for a 3 year contract so a phone that will be a little future proof would be nice. The most intriguing phones are the Blackberries.

Budget wise I can afford to pay $250 for the phone itself. The monthly costs are something I would like to keep as low as possible.

Help me H/A!

Edit- Forgot to mention I am currently living in Ontario around the Base Borden/Barrie area.

DekuStick on

• PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    1. Since you mentioned joining with the Canadian Forces, you may want to avoid anything that has a camera, lest you be forbidden from bringing it into certain areas for OPSEC reasons.
    2. Data plans in Canada amount to, generally, $PrisonRape. Expect to pay $30/month or so for use of the internet.
    3. Is there any particular reason you feel like you need a cellphone? Someone who's active-duty can address this better, but pretty much all of the bases should have a way of getting in touch with friends/family/loved ones without needing to go to a cell phone. Failing that, a nationwide "My 5" plan is best, since you can pick 5 numbers Canada-wide and get unlimited calling to those five numbers.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    As Peregrine said, you might want to look at something like the My5 plan. But also check with your c/o's as well on availability and what's allowed.

As far as phones themselves. Rogers has an online offer right now on the HTC Dream for $99.99 and it's normally $599.99.

http://www.rogers.com/web/link/wirelessBuyFlow?forwardTo=PhoneThenPlan&productType=normal&productId_Detailed=DREAMWHTR&N=52+11+4294948709

As far as Bell goes it looks like they just got this Blackberry...

http://www.bell.ca/shopping/en_CA_ON.BlackBerryTour--9630/68195.details#2

But this has a built in camera and if you can't have a camera it probably wouldn't be a good one to have.

EDIT**

Also, you might want to inquire about any special discounts since you are in the Armed Forces. Normally you can get some sort of percentage discount or access to special promo's and what not.

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Taking it with me everywhere is something I understand will not be possible. And yes its true Data plans are truly cruel in Canada.

My particular reason for picking up a cell phone is that WLM is my main contact for everyone I know. Having it with me when I can is just a convenince I would like to have. I also like the idea of not being tied to a landline on the off chance I need to make a call. I want to make my life as nomad as possible and a smartphone can easily combine the luxuries I will deeply miss with my computer.

DekuStick on
    edited July 2009
    Gonmun wrote: »
    http://www.bell.ca/shopping/en_CA_ON.BlackBerryTour--9630/68195.details#2

But this has a built in camera and if you can't have a camera it probably wouldn't be a good one to have.

I'm pretty much sold on this here. If anyone has anything to add please do. But I think we have a winner.

DekuStick on
  • Phil G.Phil G. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Yay for another joining the CF!

Anyways, I'm in the same boat as you (except I don't want a smartphone). I decided it would be better to wait until I'm finished training and get a posting before I buy a phone with plan. Depending on your trade you can be posted almost anywhere in Canada. You'll be going for basic training in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec (Unless they changed that, which I heard they might be doing), so a plan you get needs to be Canada wide. Then you'll go and train in whatever field you are entering, and that can be any number of places. (Shilo Manitoba, Gagetown, New Brunswick)

You probably already know the possibilities of postings and you may know which one you want to go to, but you may or may not get the one you ask for. They send you where they need you. After you get your posting, you'll be there for a fair bit, but you will definitely move around for training.

You can't really use your phone in the field/while training, but you will probably be able to use it during off hours.

My recommendation is to wait it out, if you have a beater phone use it for a bit with a pay as you go plan, and then buy a plan. Good luck!

Phil G. on
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm pretty in love with my HTC Touch Pro on Telus.

http://www.telusmobility.com/en/ON/htc_touch_pro/index.shtml

You are going to get sufficiently raped up the ass with any data plan, but a 500MB plan should be more than enough. I use my phone all day, every day, and I don't come close to meeting my data limit.

Asiina on
  • ImDrawingABlankImDrawingABlank Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My friend went through 4 seperate phones during his training period with the Canadian Forces. 2 of them were cheap low end models that you would expect to bust, 2 of them were blackberries. I personally have a Blackberry and I quite enjoy it for various reasons, just keep in mind that in your training process you will often be caught off guard whilst carrying your phone and be forced suddenly into some sort of exercise where the dropping of said phone is more than possible. My buddy may be particularly rough on phones, but the vast majority of other guys in his "group" if not all of them replaced atleast one. Something to keep in mind, look for durability, or plan to not have it on you as often as you may want.

ImDrawingABlank on
    lastfmml0.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Yikes. 4 phones!

Maybe I'll invest in some kind of armor for it.

DekuStick on
  • Phil G.Phil G. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    You could always buy one of those MILSPEC HARDCORE AWESOME PHONE! They're actually not bad, I've seen them dropped into water and the like and still work. They are kind of pricey and bulky though. I'm planning on buying one after I'm done training though.

Phil G. on
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My friend went through 4 seperate phones during his training period with the Canadian Forces. 2 of them were cheap low end models that you would expect to bust, 2 of them were blackberries. I personally have a Blackberry and I quite enjoy it for various reasons, just keep in mind that in your training process you will often be caught off guard whilst carrying your phone and be forced suddenly into some sort of exercise where the dropping of said phone is more than possible. My buddy may be particularly rough on phones, but the vast majority of other guys in his "group" if not all of them replaced atleast one. Something to keep in mind, look for durability, or plan to not have it on you as often as you may want.

Hmm, with that rough a treatment, I may not suggest the phone I have anymore. It's good, but the screen can get scratched. Definitely not the kind of phone made for dropping.

Asiina on
  • DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The leading smartphones in canada- HTC touch diamond, iphone, blackberry tour/storm, palm pre (anyone sell this yet?) are all about the same for your needs. In the end it may just come down to price and whatever interface you feel most comfortable with. If your current carrier has a retention department you should call them first and see what kind of deal you can get from them for your new phone.

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png