As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Carpal Tunnel Help

BobCescaBobCesca Is a girlBirmingham, UKRegistered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I have really quite bad CP in both hands.

I've had two operations on the left (wrist and elbow) which haven't really worked in terms of it getting better (though it may stop it getting worse), and I'm scheduled for an operation on my right wrist in the middle of August.

However, it is becoming really quite difficult to do my work (writing a 80,000 PhD thesis - on Latin literature, so I spend the same amount of time typing even if I use dictation software due to the huge number of latin words and names involved) and my usual methods of massaging my fingers and trying to keep my hands warm is not really working.

So, H/A, anyone any tips for reducing the symptoms of Carpal Tunnel? Really, any ideas would be gratefully received as it has become horrifically difficult to do any work!

BobCesca on

• Options
    weather man bobweather man bob El Heffer Assholeville USARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    good weed usually helps keep my carpal tunnel from hurting as much as when i am sober, so i suggest a dose of some good ol weed

if you are not into the natural pain killers, tell your doctor that you need vicodin and xanax, those should do the trick, either will suffice, but preferable both

weather man bob on
  • Options
    lifeincognitolifeincognito Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I am not a medical professional. HOWEVER, I know an Occupational Therapist who deals with carpal tunnel on a regular basis. If you have specific questions I can pick her brain for you, just send me a PM.

Tendon Glides may help you.

I almost assume you already have setup your keyboard, mouse, desk, monitor, and chair to be as ergonomic as possible. A good posture and proper angles for typing will not reduce carpal tunnel, but may help prevent further damage.

lifeincognito on
    losers weepers. jawas keepers.
  • Options
    i n c u b u si n c u b u s Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I assume your taking medication, be sure to take it before sitting down to write a paper. They gave me 800mg of Ibuprofen which works most of the time but sometimes it doesn't do a thing.

i n c u b u s on
    Platinum FC: 4941 2152 0041
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I take a lot of drugs for other problems and have funny side effects with opiates (and illegal drugs really aren't an option).

I might up my brufen intake, though it worries me to be taking so much (given I have to write all day every day). I've been doing the exercises, though I should probably start wearing splints at night time again (though it reduces snuggling as the SO says the velcro is itchy and scratchy against him).

Thanks so far. Any other ideas or am I just stuck with it?

BobCesca on
  • Options
    weather man bobweather man bob El Heffer Assholeville USARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You are stuck with it, you can use hardcore pain medicene to alleviate the pain, that is about it though.

weather man bob on
  • Options
    KlorgnumKlorgnum Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't know if this will help you at all, or if it's even a good idea, but you could try the exercises in the video and links here.

Klorgnum on
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've known quite a few musicians with Carpal Tunnel.

If your doctor gave you braces, use them. Make sure if you're feeling any strain or pressure, don't ignore it but stop what you're doing immediately.

You just need to learn to be more aware of your posture at all times so as not to exacerbate any symptoms.

Asiina on