As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fallout Thread: As Paradise falls, so falls Paradise Falls.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'd like to visit the NCR 50 or so years after F2.

To see how far its expanded, what the original brotherhood is up to, and what have you.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    WARNING!!!!!

Mothership Zeta just wiped out all my saved games.

WTF, over?

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    TrebzTrebz Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If a new piece of DLC comes out for Oblivion I might pick it up on PC. I had it on 360 and ended up just making lots of characters and never getting very far into the actual main quest. Something tells me there are enough mods to completely overhaul the game, going off how many mods are available in Fallout 3 already.

Also, I really would like to at least find out what happened outside of the US, maybe visit China or England. I'm certain that there's enough going on in China to warrant at least an expansion pack.

Trebz on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Trebz wrote: »
    If a new piece of DLC comes out for Oblivion I might pick it up on PC. I had it on 360 and ended up just making lots of characters and never getting very far into the actual main quest. Something tells me there are enough mods to completely overhaul the game, going off how many mods are available in Fallout 3 already.

don't feel bad, I've never beaten it either, despite never having a moment since its release where it wasn't installed on my computer.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    widowson wrote: »
    WARNING!!!!!

WTF, over?

Holy shit! Those aliens mean business!

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Algertman wrote: »
    WARNING!!!!!

WTF, over?

I guess there's no going back, huh?

But I'd rather not suggest that idea to Bethesda. There's such a thing as too much creativity.

Trebz on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Operator-C wrote: »
    Just reinstalled with most of the mods on the recommended list. Made my way into some subway tunnels (Warrington, I think) whilst looking for the Ghouls disturbing Tenpenny Tower--I ran into this one giant, glowing ghoul, aptly named Glowing One--boy he kicked my ass. Not even a bottlecap mine scratched him. I'm only level 2. I guess I'm not going back in there for a while.

I love encountering mobs like that with these overhaul mods. Also, the strength of radiation after installing the balance mod (XFO) is down-right nasty. I love it. Man, I feel bad for people that own this game on console. Same goes for Oblivion.

Glowing One should not be that hard....ever. You sure one of the mods are not messing with it?

Now the new Ghoul Reavers? They some ass holes.

Algertman on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Also, I really would like to at least find out what happened outside of the US, maybe visit China or England. I'm certain that there's enough going on in China to warrant at least an expansion pack.
    Japan would be interesting if only for how completily fucked up shit would probably be over there. Given the nationalistic bent that the FO US has been on, does that mean they truncated the reconstruction efforts in Japan and Europe, or maybe didn't even bother and went with the "you started it, so fuck you" mentality from post-WWI? Would they still have been phobic of the N-word, or would the potential fuck-you by the US drive them to pursue nukes as vengeance, being one of the first to take potshots at the US when the nuke-shootin' started? And what about Russia and Germany?

EDIT: One thing I'd like to see is maybe some exposition on all of the current rather radical forces that we have in the US and how they would've panned out after the bombs fell. Like maybe down in Florida you've got a bunch of fundie christians who're establishing their own kingdom of God or whatever, or the leftovers of the south Did Rise Again and re-established the confederacy with state-enforced slavery for non-caucasians, or maybe the Fifth Column took over Illinois. Beats me where the Jewish Defense League would hole up, though.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I'd like to visit the NCR 50 or so years after F2.

To see how far its expanded, what the original brotherhood is up to, and what have you.

They have run into a problem and need your help. Now, don't expect them to help you.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Operator-C wrote: »
    Just reinstalled with most of the mods on the recommended list. Made my way into some subway tunnels (Warrington, I think) whilst looking for the Ghouls disturbing Tenpenny Tower--I ran into this one giant, glowing ghoul, aptly named Glowing One--boy he kicked my ass. Not even a bottlecap mine scratched him. I'm only level 2. I guess I'm not going back in there for a while.

I love encountering mobs like that with these overhaul mods. Also, the strength of radiation after installing the balance mod (XFO) is down-right nasty. I love it. Man, I feel bad for people that own this game on console. Same goes for Oblivion.

Glowing One should not be that hard....ever. You sure one of the mods are not messing with it?

Now the new Ghoul Reavers? They some ass holes.
    I love encountering mobs like that with these overhaul mods

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    Robman wrote: »
    Let's see. Where haven't we explored in Fallout?

We've got Toronto, the NYC area, Florida, The Midwest, The Commonwealth, the Vancouver area, England... lots of places.

I'd personally like to see the greater New England/Atlantic northeast area - Vermont, Delaware, Boston, Cape Cod, Connecticut etc. Pretty ambitious but doable, and very, very American (imagine snobby Boston Brahmins in their pre-war finest hunting raiders like ducks and then dining on mutant-shrimp cocktails and three-headed lobster).

EDIT: Hell, imagine how much fun they could have with the Ivy League. You get recruited by one of the Ivies (you get to choose, like in the Pitt) to help them out with their annual football game. The stadium's full of preppy kids in ancient, torn college sweatshirts and drunken alumni (all of them shooting guns off in the air, of course - this is the apocalypse), the football itself is rigged to explode if the game starts getting uninteresting and the linebacker on the opposing team is a Super Mutant with a very questionable scholarship. They'd probably have to change the names of the schools around a little bit though, but it could be extremely fun and very Fallout if they did it right.

NYC, on the other hand, really needs a game all to itself. Or at least NY state plus NYC.

With all the references to the Commonwealth in Fallout 3 and just about every DLC I would not be surprised if they do bring us there.

NYC would be crazy. Crazy awesome! Brotherhood could set themselves up in the blown out ruins of of the Statue of Liberty, Super Mutants could be holed up in- well I guess it would have to be a generic Baseball Stadium, the subway tunnels could be full of CHUD, the sewers would of course have to contain horrific mutated alligators, Fire Island would be chalk full of, ahem :winky:. Well anyway a lot could certainly be done with NYC.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Am I missing something about all non fatman large guns in vanilla or are they just woefully underpowered. I have near 100 in small guns/energy weapons/large guns and the last category never gets used except for amusement.

I am not currently running FOOK, does that make them a bit more useful?

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    WARNING!!!!!

WTF, over?

I guess there's no going back, huh?

But I'd rather not suggest that idea to Bethesda. There's such a thing as too much creativity.

I pulled my old saved game out of the folder and shoved it in the same place as autosave, so I have all my ranks, but Mothership Zeta won't start and my Power Armor, the stuff you get from the Anchorage DLC, is now gone.

Lame.

EDIT: Actually, none of the DLC is loading anymore.

widowson on

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Madpanda wrote: »
    Am I missing something about all non fatman large guns in vanilla or are they just woefully underpowered. I have near 100 in small guns/energy weapons/large guns and the last category never gets used except for amusement.

I am not currently running FOOK, does that make them a bit more useful?
    Probably a combination of packrattery and the generally woeful performance of the minigun-type weapons, plus by the time you stock up enough missiles for where you can really start taking the missile launcher for a spin you're usually running up against dudes who can shrug them off. If there was special ammunition for these that could bypass DR or at least cut a good chunk of it out of the equation shit would probably get a lot more useful real fast.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yea I didn't start putting points into it until post 20, super mutant masters, and overlords (screw these guys) just laugh missiles off. Even a sneak crit with a minigun is woefully unimpressive.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yea I didn't start putting points into it until post 20, super mutant masters, and overlords (screw these guys) just laugh missiles off. Even a sneak crit with a minigun is woefully unimpressive.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    *sigh*

Installed Mothership Zeta today and now the Downloads section is greyed out. All of the gear from the DLCs is now gone, Mothership Zeta will not start, and all of my saved games were missing; had to physically copy one from my X-box live folder to the save folder as the autosave, all of my Anchorage, Pitt, and Broken Steel gear is gone.

Nice. Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions?

On the plus side, the game no longer sticks when I quit. Yay....

widowson on

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    yalborap wrote: »
    Question: Did anyone ever make a mod that'd let you enchant weapons?

Weapon Mod Kits sort of manages this. It lets you add things like a silencer, laser sight, expanded magazine, autofire mechanism, and scope to weapons. Not all weapons are compatible with all upgrades.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Fixed.

GFW live hiccuped and didn't auto-log me in. When that happens, no DLC content, no saved games under your GFW live profile.

widowson on

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Ugh how do I find the ship? I assume Im missing something but all I have is an alien signal spouting gibberish. No indication on where to go.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Ugh how do I find the ship? I assume Im missing something but all I have is an alien signal spouting gibberish. No indication on where to go.

Select the quest with your PiP Boy and check the world map. Fast travel to a nearby location and use the compass.

widowson on

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    harvest wrote: »
    yalborap wrote: »
    Question: Did anyone ever make a mod that'd let you enchant weapons?

Weapon Mod Kits sort of manages this. It lets you add things like a silencer, laser sight, expanded magazine, autofire mechanism, and scope to weapons. Not all weapons are compatible with all upgrades.

There is a FOOK & FWE compatible WMK mod as well.

Also it should be pointed out the WMK actually does change the look of your weapon too. I have an M4 with a laser sight attached, an expanded magazine in the shaped of a drum (sorta like a Tommy-gun), plus a silencer attached. I also have a Berreta with a laser sight, its very awesome. I think the only weapons mod that doesn't change the look of your weapon in some way is the Auto-Fire one.

Oh and these weapon mods also increase various attributes. Laser sight increases a weapon's accuracy, scope is a scope, silencer of course lets you make kills without alerting everyone, auto-fire is exactly what it sounds. I don't know if the expanded magazine always doubles the amount of ammo in your weapon or if it varies from weapon to weapon, but it did for my M4 which now holds 60 rounds.

Minus the scope this is what my M4 looks like now.
    3388-5-1243409990.jpg

Lastly, while these weapon mod kits are awesome, they are relatively rare. Though there are a number hidden "in-plain-sight" to get you started.

Axen on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009

Select the quest with your PiP Boy and check the world map. Fast travel to a nearby location and use the compass.

Ugh, obvious, its been months since i played F3, forgot you could do that, just selected the radio station. Thanks.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Axen wrote: »
    Duffel wrote: »
    Robman wrote: »
    Let's see. Where haven't we explored in Fallout?

We've got Toronto, the NYC area, Florida, The Midwest, The Commonwealth, the Vancouver area, England... lots of places.

I'd personally like to see the greater New England/Atlantic northeast area - Vermont, Delaware, Boston, Cape Cod, Connecticut etc. Pretty ambitious but doable, and very, very American (imagine snobby Boston Brahmins in their pre-war finest hunting raiders like ducks and then dining on mutant-shrimp cocktails and three-headed lobster).

EDIT: Hell, imagine how much fun they could have with the Ivy League. You get recruited by one of the Ivies (you get to choose, like in the Pitt) to help them out with their annual football game. The stadium's full of preppy kids in ancient, torn college sweatshirts and drunken alumni (all of them shooting guns off in the air, of course - this is the apocalypse), the football itself is rigged to explode if the game starts getting uninteresting and the linebacker on the opposing team is a Super Mutant with a very questionable scholarship. They'd probably have to change the names of the schools around a little bit though, but it could be extremely fun and very Fallout if they did it right.

NYC, on the other hand, really needs a game all to itself. Or at least NY state plus NYC.

With all the references to the Commonwealth in Fallout 3 and just about every DLC I would not be surprised if they do bring us there.

NYC would be crazy. Crazy awesome! Brotherhood could set themselves up in the blown out ruins of of the Statue of Liberty, Super Mutants could be holed up in- well I guess it would have to be a generic Baseball Stadium, the subway tunnels could be full of CHUD, the sewers would of course have to contain horrific mutated alligators, Fire Island would be chalk full of, ahem :winky:. Well anyway a lot could certainly be done with NYC.

If the statue of Liberty isn't lying half-submerged in the sand on a beach, then somebody has failed.

Duffel on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Bah!
    I missed the achievement by one recording, plus I saved on the bridge stupidly thinking I could go back and find the one I missed. :(
    Can't believe I missed the perk too.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Guess what, it's Character Screenshot Time!

Here is my duder:
    dude.jpg

Here is a shot of his snappy backpack.
    dude2.jpg

Axen on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Guess what, it's Character Screenshot Time!

Here is my duder:

:<

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Japan would be interesting if only for how completily fucked up shit would probably be over there. Given the nationalistic bent that the FO US has been on, does that mean they truncated the reconstruction efforts in Japan and Europe, or maybe didn't even bother and went with the "you started it, so fuck you" mentality from post-WWI? Would they still have been phobic of the N-word, or would the potential fuck-you by the US drive them to pursue nukes as vengeance, being one of the first to take potshots at the US when the nuke-shootin' started? And what about Russia and Germany?

EDIT: One thing I'd like to see is maybe some exposition on all of the current rather radical forces that we have in the US and how they would've panned out after the bombs fell. Like maybe down in Florida you've got a bunch of fundie christians who're establishing their own kingdom of God or whatever, or the leftovers of the south Did Rise Again and re-established the confederacy with state-enforced slavery for non-caucasians, or maybe the Fifth Column took over Illinois. Beats me where the Jewish Defense League would hole up, though.

I'm wondering, what if a smaller country like Japan was actually just wiped out by the bombs and is pretty much eliminated? The US isn't getting on very well as it is, with a good percentage of it people giving up on any hope of a better life and I can't imagine how well a country much smaller is surviving, even if it wasn't directly bombed.

There are just so many ways that we could get exposition on how an entire planet dealt with massive nuclear holocaust, and so far the IP's been stuck with covering how the US dealt with it. I'm betting that if the Fallout franchise continues for much longer, Bethesda will have to start covering the other sides of the Great War. It makes sense.

Unfortunately that would mean voice acting for Russia and China. Oh boy.

Trebz on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So how is mothership zeta?

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

While there IS something to be said for being able to assault aliens with an axe while wearing a space suit, it's really not all that great.

The vast majority of it is wandering about this spaceship, murdering aliens and disabling generators.

I think it wouldn't be TOO bad a DLC had Bethesda not set the bar as high with Broken Steel and Point Lookout.

As it is, though, it's basically a long-ish dungeon crawl set aboard a spaceship. You could do worse, but you could do a lot better.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    OneEyedJackOneEyedJack Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I want to look down and see my wang

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    there aren't any aztec ruins in South America, by the way.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I want to look down and see my wang

You should stop playing Fallout and start exercising.

FireWeasel on
  • Options
    Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man, I am now buying Mothership Zeta for the sole reason that after you finish it, you can use the ship as your home.

Well, also because I am a consumer whore and will buy anything Fallout 3 related.

But mostly the house thing.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I don't see how setting a Fallout game in Central America would be any different than what we got already.

Trash strewn, inhospitable wasteland? Check. People living is shitty shacks? Check. Inedible food and undrinkable water? Check. Monstrous and deadly insects? Check. Silly currency? Check. Gross generalization of a geographic area? I'll chalk that one down as a 'maybe' :P.

Axen on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    FireWeasel wrote: »

While there IS something to be said for being able to assault aliens with an axe while wearing a space suit, it's really not all that great.

The vast majority of it is wandering about this spaceship, murdering aliens and disabling generators.

I think it wouldn't be TOO bad a DLC had Bethesda not set the bar as high with Broken Steel and Point Lookout.

As it is, though, it's basically a long-ish dungeon crawl set aboard a spaceship. You could do worse, but you could do a lot better.

Sounds like Operation Anchorage.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    FireWeasel wrote: »

Sounds like Operation Anchorage.

That's what it reminds me of, actually.

FireWeasel on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just waltzed into the Dunwich building.
    And then a feral ghoul reaver jumped at me and glowing ones exploded near me and suddenly there's what, GHOSTS HERE WHAT THE FUCK

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The Dunwich buliding... that place is bad mojo.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't see how setting a Fallout game in Central America would be any different than what we got already.

Trash strewn, inhospitable wasteland? Check. People living is shitty shacks? Check. Inedible food and undrinkable water? Check. Monstrous and deadly insects? Check. Silly currency? Check. Gross generalization of a geographic area? I'll chalk that one down as a 'maybe' :P.

I do have to give Bethesda credit; Fallout 3 is one of the first games (except for maybe Just Cause and it kinda... sucked) where you can actually play as a Hispanic character. Definitely the first character-generator game I've seen with that option.

Duffel on