Options

Xoxai Healthy Chocolate - Network Marketing Scam or Legit?

FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night manChampion of the sunRegistered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
A friend from work has asked me to attend a conference next week to learn about this product and a certain network marketing method. Have any of your heard about it?

Normally I would just brush anyone off who started raving about any sort of revolutionary "marketing strategy" to make money, but this guy is fairly bright, and I can't see him getting mixed up in some sort of pyramid scheme normally.

If anything, I'd like to be able to warn him about getting in too deep if this really is a scam. He's already started buying cases of this crap and is convinced that he will see returns in the long run. To me, it seems like a pyramid scheme that has been slightly modified to convince people that it isn't.

Every article I come up with on Google seems to be people convinced that network marketing is a fantastic idea and that chocolate is a great product to go along with it. I can't seem to find anyone debunking all of this.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
Figgy on

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The words "network marketing" pretty much automatically make it a scam.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Okay, I just googled this up: he's not selling chocolate, he's selling an Acai-berry-based nutritional supplement mixed with chocolate for flavor. So, not only is the marketing methodology a scam, the product is also a scam.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    but it has 24 antioxidants and anthocyanins (I had to look those up)
    apparently its a chemical pigment in plants that may or may not have antioxidant property
    too bad antioxidant therapy has been completely debunked by science

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    And don't forget the Acacia Berry, so you know, the chocolate will make them lose weight as they eat it!

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    What's the chances of this co-worker being bright enough to have placed himself above the scheme and suckering dumbass co-workers and friends into the scheme to suck them dry?

Because no way that this is a profitable situation for you.

Aldo on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Bright people can easily get sucked into pyramid schemes.

And yes, that's what this is. In fact, any "job" that starts with going to a conference like that to hear about the product and sales method is a scam.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Captain, we have reached Maximum Lime.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    but it has 24 antioxidants and anthocyanins (I had to look those up)
    apparently its a chemical pigment in plants that may or may not have antioxidant property
    too bad antioxidant therapy has been completely debunked by science
    Not to mention that most adults get antioxidants from coffee, instead of hella expensive nutritional supplements.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My friends brother does this.

My friends brother is an idiot.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, when he started telling me how "a friend of Sue's (his fiancee) father put me on to this, and he showed me photocopies of checks he receives each week."

Right there I figured someone was getting boned. I'm not sure if he is somehow part of this scam or if he has been suckered into it, but I'd like to bring him some concrete evidence that he needs to get the hell out before he loses too much.

What should I be telling this guy aside from "this is a scam?"

Figgy on
  • Options
    WootloopsWootloops Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sounds similar to this YorHealth bullshit that a coworker of mine has been brainwashed by. Sure, she makes some cash but that's after months of cult-like meetings, selling shitty health products and alienating most of her friends since they "don't understand her calling". Some research on that company lead to quite a bit of dirt, some federal charges against their prior company incarnations, and a multitude of name changes over a span of 4 years. I wouldn't be surprised if Xoxai has a similar past.

I can assure you someone makes money through out all this, but it sure as hell won't be you anytime soon, if at all. Stay far, far away.

Wootloops on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Figgy wrote: »
    Well, when he started telling me how "a friend of Sue's (his fiancee) father put me on to this, and he showed me photocopies of checks he receives each week."

Right there I figured someone was getting boned. I'm not sure if he is somehow part of this scam or if he has been suckered into it, but I'd like to bring him some concrete evidence that he needs to get the hell out before he loses too much.

What should I be telling this guy aside from "this is a scam?"

Well, the thing is, it likely ISN'T a scam per se... it's just them preying on stupid people by inflating the ease with which you will make tons and tons of money. Can you make money selling it? Probably. But you're just as likely to make money playing lottery scratchers.

And lottery scratchers don't make you attend a stupid seminar.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    WootloopsWootloops Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    http://www.businessopportunitywatch.com/BOW%20Review%20of%20XOCAI%20Make%20Chocolate%20Your%20Business.htm

Here's something.

I haven't read through all of it. The parts I did read had about 30% useful information and the rest was mostly crap. Take it with a grain of salt, I say, but give it a read non the less.

TLDR from what I read; the company is breaking some laws abroad in the UK, their previous companies went bankrupt or some such after the FDA contacted them over false labeling, more on the fact that their products are not healthy and don't use any organic ingredients; opting for sucralose, etc.

Wootloops on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wootloops wrote: »
    http://www.businessopportunitywatch.com/BOW%20Review%20of%20XOCAI%20Make%20Chocolate%20Your%20Business.htm

Here's something.

I haven't read through all of it. The parts I did read had about 30% useful information and the rest was mostly crap. Take it with a grain of salt, I say, but give it a read non the less.

TLDR from what I read; the company is breaking some laws abroad in the UK, their previous companies went bankrupt or some such after the FDA contacted them over false labeling, more on the fact that their products are not healthy and don't use any organic ingredients; opting for sucralose, etc.

Thanks for that! He stressed how he wasn't interested in selling the product, but more on just buying what he wants for himself and spreading the word/signing up others. I'm sure if I prove to him that this is just over-priced, shitty chocolate, instead of over-priced, healthy, shitty chocolate, he might start to think more critically.

Figgy on