Options

[WoW] What's the plural of [shaman] anyway? Cata info links in OP!

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Shaman Raiding in Vanilla was purely for totem buffs. Bad raid healing was an added benefit.

Got to remember though that Paladins besides certain specific roles were in the same boat. Oh sure, you'd bring them along for dispelling purposes and buffs...and then bad heals or bad dps.

the T3 set bonus:
    8 pieces: Your Cleanse spell also heals the target for 200.
    Really encapsulates what a paladin was all about in vanilla.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    ScroffusScroffus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I remember talking to a raiding paladin friend in vanilla. I was horde and hadn't raided at all yet. I was really amazed at how cool his gear was. I asked "wow, is raiding hard?", he replied "no, not really. I just put my head on my desk, hit the decurse button and take a nap".

Scroffus on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    forty wrote: »
    Enhance/Resto (up to Nature's Swiftness) shaman were fairly good in vanilla PvP. They absolutely raped most casters because they had a shitload of counters vs. the average caster's options and it didn't take too much to chew through a caster's health.

Shamans were BRUTAL in PVP. I should know, I was a rank 13 Alliance Mage back in those days.

If I knew a Shaman was heading my way...I'd find another way.
    Yep, I unfortunately played an alliance mage mostly back then too. You just had no answer to a competent shaman targeting you.

forty on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm sad that I never got to raid with the old WF totem. Us alliance fury warriors actually had to work for our dps, unlike those horde warriors with Askhandi spamming hamstring for wtf sword spec proc - windfury proc chains.
    More like those horde warriors dying because they didn't have Blessing of Salv.

forty on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    But that's what lock stones/brezes were for, forty!

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tranquil air represent. I used to totem twist that, windfury and grace of air.

IvanIssacs on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, during tank transitions I'd have to pop Tranq Air.

I don't think I had to ever pop out GoA totem, mostly cause I was in the melee group for MC and BWL.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Gentlemen, the current beta build shows the following as your level 10 bonuses when picking a spec under the new talent system:

Shaman - Elemental
    A spellcaster who harnesses the destructive forces of nature and the elements.
    Eye of the Storm
    Thunderstorm
    Elemental Fury

Shaman - Restoration
    A healer who calls upon ancestral spirits and the cleansing power of water to mend allies? wounds.
    Earth Shield
    Purification (+healing)
    Healing Focus
    Meditation

Shaman - Enhancement
    A totemic warrior who strikes foes with weapons imbued with elemental power.
    Dual Wield
    Mental Quickness
    Dual Wield Specialization
    Lava Lash

Henroid on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hmm...Thunderstorm, Dual Wielding, and Earth Shield at level 10.

I would have killed for anything back during release.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fucking christ this all comes out right before I need to go to bed.

And I was going to sit down and try to work on a new OP for a new shaman thread soon :(

Kai_San on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just as a tip for threads like this: if a link does the job of listing a bunch of text where it's already formatted, go with a link. Adding the text yourself can get annoying, and if you don't format it your thread becomes wall-of-texty.

So, I think the one thing the lists above are missing are the masteries. What were they again for shaman?

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    They are probably going to change, but before it was Elemental Overload for Elemental (lightning overload for all spells), Nature Damage for Enhancement (lolboring) and a name I forget for Resto that increases healing as targets health gets low (cant remember if it was a scaling effect or it just starts when they are below like 35% health).

I planned on doing spoilers for anything texty, but ill look into links too. I just dont want to like link to EJ cause I am sure if people wanted that info they would just go there. And thier shit is all sorts of wall of text overload, cause I was checking up on it today.

Offtopic, check out the warlock trees right now. Currently looks quite broken, as Demo can get a 2 sec soul fire before decimation (which would then put it to nearly 1 before haste) AND reduce the incinerate casttime too. Needless to say thats a little overboard.

As for the Shaman trees, very little changed other than many good resto talents being accessable early in the tree, mainly to ele. Not only that, but there really is nothing in Enh anymore to dip into for Ele, so those resto talents are pretty much currently the main choice.

The only completely new talent since last build is one in Enh that restore mana occasionally from melee swings.

Kai_San on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What's in Resto that's so great for Elemental? I see the 10% damage reduction while casting, everything else is meh. I'd grab that and the movement speed talent in the 2nd tier of enhancement as Elemental.

captaink on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Of course everything could change later on. I can pick up just about everything in Elemental even with 9 to spare for those other talents.

captaink on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Enhancement has Ancestral Swiftness which is going to be more or less mandatory for all specs, in both PvE and PvP.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Static charge is reading as not consuming a lightning shield orb (which means it's off the lightning shield damage timer). Also, improved stormstrike has been replaced with a talent that gives your regular attacks a 20 / 40% chance to restore 5% of your base mana.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Poking with the new talent calculator, I came up with this for an enhancement build. Although, since Fire Nova will be a Magma-only affair from now on it probably won't be as mandatory, but I can only see those points going into Concussion and Ancestral Knowledge.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You need Primal Wisdom. Also, Ancestral Knowledge is trash.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    "Need" is a subjective term. In today's context, it's useless. In Cata's, it might be more of a requirement.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I did this. Missing the better Fire Nova as opposed to live, but it's not like trash matters. You could probably get by without Primal Wisdom if you had a Paladin judging wisdom. Or did they change something about that?

/edit: this might be a reasonable PvP build. I'd like to fit Spark of life in there, but I can't see how.

Grobian on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Taking that build and removing the two points in Primal Wisdom, I still have one point in AK and one free point... which you may as well put in AK. So given the choice between two points in AK (the fillerest of filler talents, still) or Primal Wisdom... yeah, I can see going with that.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well, MMO Champ doesn't list Judgement of Wisdom in their Paladin section, just a generic Judgement that combines Judgement of Light and Judgement of Justice.

reVerse on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    Well, MMO Champ doesn't list Judgement of Wisdom in their Paladin section, just a generic Judgement that combines Judgement of Light and Judgement of Justice.
    This is true. JoW was really only a big deal for hunters, shaman and paladins themselves, and those are all solvable in other ways.

815165 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh my.

Lava burst is now level 1, as opposed to level 34 I think it was.

Talk about changing the leveling experience. Elemental is probably just as viable as Enhance at 10 now.

Kai_San on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lava Burst right now is 75.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I was kind of talking in context of the cataclysm beta. By right now, I mean this patch (this beta patch). It could change, but its pretty neat currently.

Kai_San on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Makershot wrote: »
    "Need" is a subjective term. In today's context, it's useless. In Cata's, it might be more of a requirement.

Ancestral Knowledge will almost certainly be a requirement since Enh Shaman won't be getting INT anymore. So I'd say both are probably necessary.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So far, I'm working with a weird 5/36/0 build for Enhance.

I could lose some of the stuff for raiding, but otherwise I can see it being more useful than the extra bit I'd get in other trees.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Could use a hand here, more or less a critiquing I suppose.
    In our ICC-HM-25 man I get my ass whomped by the other healers according to recount (aside from the 2 priests, who I don't count because of thier absorbs).

I'd link my armory page but work filters hate me. Characters name is SÏhn on Feathermoon.

I constantly get beaten out by Madisyyn (I think that's how it is spelt).

Can anyone take a look at my gears and tell me what I need to change in that respect, also recap me on how YOU heal as a shaman, perhaps I am doing something wrong there.

Jaded on
    I can't think of anything clever.
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »

Ancestral Knowledge will almost certainly be a requirement since Enh Shaman won't be getting INT anymore. So I'd say both are probably necessary.

15% of nothing is still nothing. AK will still be bad for Enhancement.

Grobian on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Grobian wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »

15% of nothing is still nothing. AK will still be bad for Enhancement.

Ouch.

Hey do you guys think the shock spell cast cost reduction is being rolled into the base?

Henroid on
  • Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    getting imp ghost wolf is too expensive now for elemental, makes me sad.

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Don't you mean ancestral swiftness?

Also, how is it too expensive? It's 2nd tier.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It's quite certainly going to be mandatory anyway, so feel free getting rid of whatever you were getting in its place.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I tooled around a bit with elemental and restoration and found I had points to spare from each to pick up ancestral swiftness (and in both cases, the first tier of enhancement was easy to figure out). There's no reason to not get it.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I came up with this build. It leaves three points free for either 3/3 Unrelenting Storm or, if your mana permits it, 1/3 Unrelenting and 2/2 Ancestral Resolve.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Ouch.

Hey do you guys think the shock spell cast cost reduction is being rolled into the base?

It is for Enhancement.
    Shaman - Enhancement
    Dual Wield
    Mental Quickness
    Lava Lash

Automaticzen on
  • Options
    QuetzatcoatlQuetzatcoatl Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Ouch.

It is for Enhancement.
    Shaman - Enhancement
    Dual Wield
    Mental Quickness
    Lava Lash

Mental quickness was in addition to shamanistic focus. It looks like the 40% will be dropped.

It doesn't seem like a huge deal for enhancement. They will have even more mana from other talents.

Quetzatcoatl on
  • Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That's not the 45% cost reduction that Enhance was getting. Unless they jack it up from the 6% that it is listed as.

Personally, I want them to swap Ancestral Knowledge and Elemental Devastation, but I don't think that'd lend itself to cross-spec synergy much.

Toothy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Toothy wrote: »
    That's not the 45% cost reduction that Enhance was getting. Unless they jack it up from the 6% that it is listed as.

Personally, I want them to swap Ancestral Knowledge and Elemental Devastation, but I don't think that'd lend itself to cross-spec synergy much.

Ah, misunderstood. I'm assuming that Primal Wisdom is intended to offset the loss of Shamanistic Focus, while keeping anything like it out of the hands of the other specs.

Automaticzen on
This discussion has been closed.