As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How do I get a job?

EriicEriic Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi H/A. I need to get a part-time job to help pay for school. I'm 23 and I don't really have any skills except for working with computers and such. I also have social anxiety but I have been making progress with that since I started college in June. Talking to people is still really weird for me and I have trouble maintaining conversations and making eye contact etc.

I would prefer a job that doesn't require me to do any work or deal with people at all.

^gerber rep ◕ ◡ ◕ nerdy.us | last.fm | XBL: e5x
Eriic on

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sorry to say, 90% of the jobs for people with no experience require dealing with the public (they are customer service-type jobs of varying sorts) and 99% of the jobs in the world require doing work and dealing with coworkers.

If you have experience with computers you could try for a help desk/call center job, otherwise you are stuck in varying forms of retail or fast food.

I suppose you could be a stocker if you wanted to avoid dealing too much with the public.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The trick to getting over social anxiety is not finding a job where you don't have to talk with people at all. Since you have no skills or anything your best bet is just to apply to ever open job you find that you're qualified for and take what you can get. Now's not the greatest time to be looking and depending on where you live you might not have the luxury of choosing your perfect job from a big list.

See if you school has any jobs/work study stuff. Those can be very cushy depending on what you do and some of them might not require working with people too much. The library, for instance, might employ you as a put-books-back person.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Tomanta wrote: »

I suppose you could be a stocker if you wanted to avoid dealing too much with the public.

This is the first thing i thought of, or just any sort of job in a supermarket that's not a cashier really. edit: Night shifts a hotel's might also qualify. You do have to deal with the public a bit though. And middle aged ladies trying to get you to their room.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's going to be tough. I graduated in December '08 and have been busting my ass looking for work. I have a ton of experience working with people/customers, managing projects, and office experience. My only caveat is that I need 9-5 type hours.
    Your best bet is to take the shittiest weird hour jobs you can find. Home Depot likes to employ people working weird night hours.

Not that I've had luck, what with me being unemployed, but www.careerbuilder.com is a good place to visit every day. Also every chain store will only accept applications through their website.
    HomeDepot.com
    Lowes.com
    CVS.com
    BestBuy.com
    _______.com

It sucks filling out applications online, but its what you need to do.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Check for customer service positions at your local telco/cable company. You will never meet a customer face to face, and most also offer good health insurance and other benefits. Plus the industry is rather resilient to economic downturns.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]