Options

PA Meetup [UK] - Birmingham, October 24th and 25th 2009. We Survived!

• Options
    ColdredColdred Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    japan wrote: »
    Kalkino wrote: »
    I believe this is rather the plan, and one I fully endorse:D

There's tonnes of great pubs in birmingham, and I don't know any but the weatherspoons, aussie bar and the Flapper.

I'd recomend the aussie bar only it's on broad street and you're here on a saturday night.

See as a Kiwi this has me tempted and repelled. I have a theory that Australian themed bars are the next Irish Pub/Bar fad and that soon every city will have such a bar, to offer an alternative to Old Mother Murphy's Authentic Irish Pub/Bar and Dance Bar

I thought every city did have an Aussie theme bar. I know there were a couple back home, and I fuzzily remember one in Newquay.

Are we talking about Bushwhackers, incidentally? I have not heard positive things.

There's one in Reading called Walkabout (I think it's a chain) and one in Oxford. The one in Oxford featured regular defenestrations.

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Walkabout is definitely a chain. There's one in Glasgow and I think the place in Newquay was also a Walkabout.

japan on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well I've seen Aussie bars in all but one city i've been to in Western Europe, so it is not far off from being true I guess

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    There is a Walkabout in every major city in the UK.

Johannen on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    It has been the policy of the British government to open a walkabout bar in every major conurbation to ensure Australian students have places of ready employment.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I could believe that was government policy were it not for the fact that it appears to have worked.

japan on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    japan wrote: »
    I could believe that was government policy were it not for the fact that it appears to have worked.

Droll. You know full well New Labour has been strongly committed to social engagement

Kalkino on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    This fricking the Sun switching sides thing annoys me by the way, talking of labour, because who the fuck gives a fucking mother fucking shit!!

But let's not dwell on that, I will try to be there, but I am 50/50.

Johannen on
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I shall re-read this thread and decide after I sleep.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    freelancerbobfreelancerbob UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah it's a walkabout. They aren't too obsessive over the theming. if the weather's nice they got a sweet balcony overlooking the canal, but it's a bit cramped if there's lots of you. I quite like their cheesy chips, and if you are feeling adventurous they have kangaroo burgers. I guess they taste nice, I remember buying one once long ago. Man all this talk of food in Birmingham makes me want a big plate of bangers and mash with a nice pint of beer.

freelancerbob on
    What is this thing that is happening here.
  • Options
    KagliciousKaglicious Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah it's a walkabout. They aren't too obsessive over the theming. if the weather's nice they got a sweet balcony overlooking the canal, but it's a bit cramped if there's lots of you. I quite like their cheesy chips, and if you are feeling adventurous they have kangaroo burgers. I guess they taste nice, I remember buying one once long ago. Man all this talk of food in Birmingham makes me want a big plate of bangers and mash with a nice pint of beer.

Or one of them fantastic hot dogs that little stall at the end of New Street sell (usually outside Burton). You all need to try one if it's there when you lot go up.

Kaglicious on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I would really appreciate if we didn't hang out in a Walkabout. I really dig the English pub thing - it is one of the best parts about living in this country, so to go to a Walkabout pub for me is like you guys going to a "Ye Olde English Pubbe" while visiting NZ or Australia, and drinking Carling while there.

Kalkino on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    For what it's worth I'm not wild about the idea of going to a Walkabout.

Proper pubs, please.

japan on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, I do not want to go to an Australian or Irish bar. I'd like to go to nice bars or pubs as the situation dictates.

And fuck, this is soon isn't it? Work is hell at the mo, but I'll be damned if this is passing me by.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    22 days and counting...

Also, I'd prefer a proper pub as well so I shall investigate what cripple-friendly ones there are in town.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    freelancerbobfreelancerbob UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The Briar Rose is nice, even though it's a weatherspoons. They often got them a fine selection of local, non mainstream brews. Classy little place. And there's this oldschool place , all wooden and creaky, just off Broad Street, I forget the name, but it's painted white and just along the canal.

You know what, all the places I really like are along the canal.

freelancerbob on
    What is this thing that is happening here.
  • Options
    VulpineVulpine Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm afraid I'm going to have to pull out - work commitments mean I'm not going to have the chance to leave Bath that weekend. :( I shall be there in spirit!

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You live in Bath? A little close for comfort if you ask me (I'm in Bristol).

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I am in Bristol next weekend. A friend of mine is getting hitched there, making this the second wedding in Bristol I've been to this year.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Bogart wrote: »
    I am in Bristol next weekend. A friend of mine is getting hitched there, making this the second wedding in Bristol I've been to this year.

I'm in Paris then, so your second attempt to mug me will end in failure.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Curses!

However, this means your home and the valuables therein will be unattended. Intriguing.

Bogart on
  • Options
    VulpineVulpine Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You live in Bath? A little close for comfort if you ask me (I'm in Bristol).

Heh, actually I'll be slightly further away than usual - until June, I was studying at UWE.

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Curses!

However, this means your home and the valuables therein will be unattended. Intriguing.

As a passive enabler I demand 10% of gross. Bring the cheque to Birmingham

Kalkino on
  • Options
    Willeh DeeWilleh Dee Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bristol rules, fuck Birmingham

Willeh Dee on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Thinking of booking a table at the Handmade Burger Co. for dinner.

It's come recommended by several people, is by the canal (the pretty bit), and there's quite a few pubs and bars around nearby (which is good for the cripple).

I was thinking of booking for about 6.30-7pm so we can drink before and after dinner, and try out a few different places.

Generally, this means that we now need to get a clear count on who is coming or not so I get a big enough table for us all.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ok I will book stuff this week. So count me in.

Oh and Blackpool is exactly what everyone said it would be, which is both good and bad

Kalkino on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Bristol, Bath, Birmingham..... I ruin it with Cardiff having a C but it's a close little group.

Johannen on
  • Options
    CristoCristo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Guys, guys.

Guys.

I'm all the way down in fucking Falmouth, Cornwall. But would I still be invited to come? I mean I may. I have just had an insane freshers week, so I feel pretty rough, but I should be recovered by the 24th October, right? I should be, shouldn't I?

Cristo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Cristo wrote: »
    Guys, guys.

Guys.

I'm all the way down in fucking Falmouth, Cornwall. But would I still be invited to come? I mean I may. I have just had an insane freshers week, so I feel pretty rough, but I should be recovered by the 24th October, right? I should be, shouldn't I?

The more the merrier! :D

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm going to phone and book a table today. I'll go for the number of people who have said yes plus a couple in case anyone else suddenly decides to come along.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Put me down as a no now sorry BC. Girlfriend will be here then and is leaving that day pretty much.

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The missus has agreed to meet weird internet people, so the two of us are a confirmed yes. I will book trains and the hotel this week. She reserves the right to spray 1d6 of you with mace as a precaution.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The missus has agreed to meet weird internet people, so the two of us are a confirmed yes. I will book trains and the hotel this week. She reserves the right to spray 1d6 of you with mace as a precaution.

Me too. The confirmed yes, I mean, not the mace.

Edit: Are all the out-of-towners staying at the etap then?

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'll be looking at etap first.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Let us know where you are staying. There is a possibility that the weekend might be smack in the middle of me and Cesca moving house, so we kicked around the idea of staying at a hotel too.

japan on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    etap is booked for me. £40, so not too bad.

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Darn flarn it, my girlfriend actually leaves on the 24th, but I don't think I will have the funds to carry out such a trip after she has been here (seeing as it will have been her birthday on the 20th and such). I wouldn't have minded coming to this and I am more than close to Bristol, it's 45 minutes away. Ballcocks.

Edit: I meant Birmingham and 1hour 45minutes away.

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Right, I have booked hotel (Etap, as in OP) and trains. The hotel was 40 quid, which I think is ok. The train cost 14 quid return to Euston - which is also nice.

Kalkino on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Tickets booked here too. Arriving at 13:15, leaving at 14:30.

Edit: Leaving the next day obviously. I'm not planning on only spending one and a quarter hours in Birmingham.

Edit2: Added "not" to make the above make more sense.

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Johannen wrote: »
    Darn flarn it, my girlfriend actually leaves on the 24th, but I don't think I will have the funds to carry out such a trip after she has been here (seeing as it will have been her birthday on the 20th and such). I wouldn't have minded coming to this and I am more than close to Bristol, it's 45 minutes away. Ballcocks.

Edit: I meant Birmingham and 1hour 45minutes away.

Have you considered a hostel? You might be able to get a shared room for 15 or so if you use Hostelbookers.com or something like that - which would save a fair bit of cash compared to 40 for a single at Etap

Kalkino on