Options

PA Meetup [UK] - Birmingham, October 24th and 25th 2009. We Survived!

• Options
    perspexacityperspexacity Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Have National Express coaches been flagged up as a cheaper method of travel? I've taken to using them over trains recently. They seem to go everywhere, at least from London. =P

perspexacity on
    "I will cut out the part you most desire."
  • Options
    ColdredColdred Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Have National Express coaches been flagged up as a cheaper method of travel? I've taken to using them over trains recently. They seem to go everywhere, at least from London. =P

Every time I've checked them they've either been horribly overpriced or very inconvenient (at least for me). Plus trains are classier.

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • Options
    perspexacityperspexacity Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ah, they do funfares which can be pretty cheap. As an example, London to Birmingham for the 24th is coming up as £4.

perspexacity on
    "I will cut out the part you most desire."
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Johannen wrote: »
    Darn flarn it, my girlfriend actually leaves on the 24th, but I don't think I will have the funds to carry out such a trip after she has been here (seeing as it will have been her birthday on the 20th and such). I wouldn't have minded coming to this and I am more than close to Bristol, it's 45 minutes away. Ballcocks.

Edit: I meant Birmingham and 1hour 45minutes away.

Have you considered a hostel? You might be able to get a shared room for 15 or so if you use Hostelbookers.com or something like that - which would save a fair bit of cash compared to 40 for a single at Etap
    Even then I can see the trip as a whole coming to about £60, and I'd rather get in the hotel with you guys. I'll speak to the missus about when she leaves and will try to let everyone know by the 22nd, which is a bit gay I know.

But yall are in Birmingham Etap right?

Johannen on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yep, well hope you can work something out

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Also, I think the Birmingham central Etap has breakfast bookable for £2.95.

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Darn flarn it, my girlfriend actually leaves on the 24th, but I don't think I will have the funds to carry out such a trip after she has been here (seeing as it will have been her birthday on the 20th and such). I wouldn't have minded coming to this and I am more than close to Bristol, it's 45 minutes away. Ballcocks.

Have you considered a hostel? You might be able to get a shared room for 15 or so if you use Hostelbookers.com or something like that - which would save a fair bit of cash compared to 40 for a single at Etap
    Even then I can see the trip as a whole coming to about £60, and I'd rather get in the hotel with you guys. I'll speak to the missus about when she leaves and will try to let everyone know by the 22nd, which is a bit gay I know.

So far. Damn, I forgot to book the breakfast! Oh well, I'm sure I can add it when I get there. The question is, will I be up in time for breakfast?

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Coldred wrote: »

So far. Damn, I forgot to book the breakfast! Oh well, I'm sure I can add it when I get there. The question is, will I be up in time for breakfast?

Very true.

Johannen on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    ok. So Coldred's getting in about 1pm.

Are other people planning on getting in about the same?

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    BobCesca wrote: »
    ok. So Coldred's getting in about 1pm.

Are other people planning on getting in about the same?

11am or so I think

Kalkino on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You know what, I'm probably in for this. I should have seen it earlier - I'm going to post this in the UK bargains thread in G&T and see if we can't get some more folks. Last time we had a UK PA Meetup we went to Omega Sektor in Birmingham; it's a shame it's no longer there.

How long do we have before we need to confirm for the meal?

EDIT: Although it is smack bang at the start of the London Games Festival. Let me see if it'll clash with anything before I confirm.

EDIT 2: Looks like I'll only be missing the MCM Expo, which isn't that much of a bother since I went to PAX and I'll be covering Eurogamer. This is looking likely for me, but I need to check funds and travel to London on the Sunday evening/Monday night. I also need to read the rest of the thread and see what kind of schedule you guys are doing, but you can probably expect to see me there.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cesca didn't book it this weekend because of stuff, say by Wednesday?

It's also probably worth pointing out that we're not really going for a gaming-oriented meet up, it's mostly just going to be seeing a few of the sights and hitting a Pub.

japan on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    japan wrote: »

It's also probably worth pointing out that we're not really going for a gaming-oriented meet up, it's mostly just going to be seeing a few of the sights and hitting a Pub.

That suits me just fine. The pub is always a good idea.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The only thing we've locked into the schedule so far is my brief talk on the sights, places of interest and transport infrastructure of Blackpool, so we are still pretty free and easy

Kalkino on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

It's going to be a get there on Saturday afternoon, have a couple of drinks and a meal, and go to a pub, go home Sunday thing right?

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

It's going to be a get there on Saturday afternoon, have a couple of drinks and a meal, and go to a pub, go home Sunday thing right?

Broadly, yeah.

I think people were planning on going for a wander round museums and galleries, but mostly it's a social thing.

japan on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Broadly, yeah.

I think people were planning on going for a wander round museums and galleries, but mostly it's a social thing.
    Sweet beans, I am going to have a final decision by Wednesday next week definitely.

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ok. I will book somewhere to eat on Wednesday evening.

The ideal time for people to arrive if they want to hang round museums and galleries looks like between 11am and 1pm (given the times people who have already booked are getting in). Me and japan will probably sit up somewhere at New Street and drink coffee.

If people are just wanting to come for drinking and food, I'm guessing all of that will start around 5pm, with dinner being booked for sometime around 6.30-7pm.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ok. I will book somewhere to eat on Wednesday evening.

The ideal time for people to arrive if they want to hang round museums and galleries looks like between 11am and 1pm (given the times people who have already booked are getting in). Me and japan will probably sit up somewhere at New Street and drink coffee.

If people are just wanting to come for drinking and food, I'm guessing all of that will start around 5pm, with dinner being booked for sometime around 6.30-7pm.

I would like to join you two for coffee as I arrive in at 11. Give me a place to meet you and I'll head over from the rail station

Kalkino on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm not going to be able to make it after all, unless I pull some crazy travelling from London on the Saturday morning and back on the evening. If I do end up doing that I won't be eating, so count me out for the meal in either case.

Willeth on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I may have double booked myself. Feck. I'll get back when I find out.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    Etap hotel booked, though in a show of rare brilliance I managed to enter my names the wrong way round. Excellent.

Mojo, don't you dare.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Okay, not double booked. Victory. Time to get my hotel room on.

Edit: And that is my etap room booked. DONE.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Holy shit, i would be down for this.

BoredGamer on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    BoredGamer wrote: »
    Holy shit, i would be down for this.

Where are you and is this a definite?

japan on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Right, I'm a definite no, if we can do this again some other time (maybe in a few months or so when everyone wants to again) I would definitely be up for it.

Johannen on
  • Options
    BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I am down in Somersetland, I have the time off work already, just need to see if i can get the funds. Put me down as a maybe.

BoredGamer on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Just tried to book burger place, but apparently there's something on at the National Indoor Arena that day and they're not taking any bookings.

Trying to think of somewhere else as you read this...

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Any strong feelings about this place: http://www.mashhouse.co.uk ?

It's still in the same area. Hopefully they will take bookings but we'll check tomorrow. Otherwise any suggestions are welcome.

EDIT: There are any number of curry places, but I don't know how people feel about that. We're trying to steer away from chains, particularly on a saturday night.

japan on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I am a gentleman who likes curry. The mashhouse could well work for me though.

I'll pretty much eat anything. So long as it doesn't cost the earth, that is.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Any strong feelings about this place: http://www.mashhouse.co.uk ?

It's still in the same area. Hopefully they will take bookings but we'll check tomorrow. Otherwise any suggestions are welcome.

EDIT: There are any number of curry places, but I don't know how people feel about that. We're trying to steer away from chains, particularly on a saturday night.

Looks good to me. Probably prefer it to curry, but I'm good with curry (or chinese/thai/etc.) too.

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Curry is probably going to be pricey. There's a place called Jimmy Spices which is a kind of multi-cuisine banquet, but it looks like that's £15 a head on a Saturday night, which is a bit steep.

japan on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Sounds good guys, I'm all about the mash

Kalkino on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Is it a monster mash?

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Coldred wrote: »

Is it a monster mash?

Well I'm rather a modest chap, but it has been said, yes.

Kalkino on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ok. Mash place is booked for 7.30pm for 8 people (7.30 was the earliest they'd do 'cos of the thing on).

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ok. Mash place is booked for 7.30pm for 8 people (7.30 was the earliest they'd do 'cos of the thing on).

Neat. Thanks for organising this, it should be really good fun!

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    We should probably exchange mobile numbers and actual names at some point.

japan on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Bob has my details.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    We should probably exchange mobile numbers and actual names at some point.

First give me your PIN.

PM Sent.

Bogart on