As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's bitch about quirks in videogame logic!

• Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    mastrius wrote: »
    I think my favorite comment about weapons not doing reasonable damage and making no sense was Naughty Dog talking about Uncharted 2. They said something like:

"We heard complaints about people in T-shirts taking a lot of bullets to kill, and we took that into consideration. Now they're wearing body armor"

How about games where headshots arnt instant kills?

Still, the idea that the problem they thought people were having with the game wasn't that it took billions of bullets to kill someone, but that the person wasn't wearing armor.

It's like when Steve Jobs came out with the no-button mouse in response to complaints about the one-button mouse.

Haha. Yeah thats pretty great. I know what youre getting at. I was just reminded of the headshot thing so said it while I did.

And that is rather hilarious really. Backwards thinking. Always moving forward.

"Take too many shots do they? WELL NOW THEY HAVE ARMOR SO HAH!"

..Reasonable.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think my favorite comment about weapons not doing reasonable damage and making no sense was Naughty Dog talking about Uncharted 2. They said something like:

"We heard complaints about people in T-shirts taking a lot of bullets to kill, and we took that into consideration. Now they're wearing body armor"

Or where explosive weapons aren't always instant kills.
    Or where shooting a person in the heart isn't an instant kill.
    Or where knifing someone isn't a quick way to kill them.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military_law/4255750.html?page=1
    “I take these weapons, and look at what defines them, or what people think defines them,” Theiren explains. “For an Uzi, people think it fires lots of bullets, and it’s really inaccurate.” That, he knows, has nothing to do with reality—if anything, Uzis are considered some of the most reliable and accurate submachine guns around. But the 80s (and Miami Vice in particular) offered us the Uzi as a low-life villain’s weapon, spit-fire and out-of-control. “So I make it fire faster than it should. It’s about taking the personality of a weapon, and making it shine in the game,” Theiren says.

Couscous on
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

Or where explosive weapons aren't always instant kills.
    Or where shooting a person in the heart isn't an instant kill.
    Or where knifing someone isn't a quick way to kill them.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military_law/4255750.html?page=1
    “I take these weapons, and look at what defines them, or what people think defines them,” Theiren explains. “For an Uzi, people think it fires lots of bullets, and it’s really inaccurate.” That, he knows, has nothing to do with reality—if anything, Uzis are considered some of the most reliable and accurate submachine guns around. But the 80s (and Miami Vice in particular) offered us the Uzi as a low-life villain’s weapon, spit-fire and out-of-control. “So I make it fire faster than it should. It’s about taking the personality of a weapon, and making it shine in the game,” Theiren says.

Yep. And its all due to limitations in game design. A sad and unfortunate thing.

You could shoot a knife out of a gun through someones heart into an explosive barrel and the dude could still survive. And at that point. At that very point. You probably start to wonder.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Most recently, one of my biggest irks with game logic is how weapons will wear down. An actual, real-life M4A1 can fire many thousands of rounds without requiring maintenance, but burst off a couple clips in games with weapon degradation and you're looking at immediate loss of effectiveness.

Fallout 3 was especially bad in this regard; a handful of shots with the auto-shotty and you're already scraping around for another one to fix up the original. The explanation of a post-apocalyptic future for this element is completely nonsensical. There are robots over a century old wandering around and scientists building lifelike androids, but nobody can figure out how to rig up a machine shop to make new weapon parts? Considering most firearms need to be able to repaired or maintained quickly and easily, they usually have remarkably few parts. Even a rusted piece of crap could be restored to reasonable working condition with the right hand tools. It makes sense that weapons you find sitting around wouldn't be in great shape, but I should be able to fire several thousand rounds from a rifle before the thing starts to degrade even slightly.

To be fair, Fallout 3's weapon damage could easily be explained by the fact that the world had been through a near-complete nuclear holocaust. I'm sure that shiny chinese assault rifle you're holding is actually rusty as fuck inside. The ammo may be fucking it up too. There's some variables to consider there. A better example is Deus Ex, where you go through weapon repair kits like a politician through hookers.
    A huge RTS pet peeve of mine is the rock/paper/scissors mindset when it comes to units design. For example, in a lot of RTS games tanks have trouble with rifleman. This is stupid. I don't care how hard those soldiers lay down, a tank shell is going to blow the hell out of them and the machine guns on the vehicle will blow them even more to hell. Infantry also cannot "wear down" a tank with small arms fire no matter how many there are. Men of War handles this stuff extremely well, though. Without some kind of explosive, infantrymen are utterly, utterly ruined by tanks. Even light armor piercing rounds will just bounce off of heavy tanks.

When I was playing Civ 2, and a group of pikemen took out one of my tanks, I was definitely saying "oh fuck this." Somehow a tank is cavalry (and not an armored unit?), and the pikemen's bonus helps enough to take it out? It was only around half damaged. :P

Heh. I once had a group of spearmen take out my fighter planes in Civ: Rev. Pissed me off to no end.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've noticed in Fallout 3 I can throw a grenade at some Raiders and unless it depletes their health they stay rooted to the spot.

Kill them with that grenade, though, and their bodies go flying through the air. This also applies to Enclave troops in heavy power armor.

It's also kind of interesting that a suit of said power armor (implied to be the equivalent of a walking tank and made entirely out of metal and mechanical parts) only weighs forty pounds and even a weak person can carry a few of them around in the pockets of their Pre-War chinos.

Also, the costume design in general for a lot of games is pretty absurd; men tend to favor extremely conspicuous and rather impractical trench coats (sometimes even with the rather bizarre trench coat/no shirt combo), which seems like it would be a great hindrance when climbing, running, jumping over obstacles and other common video game activities. Women, on the other hand, tend to wear clothes where their breasts are always on the verge of popping out of their tops, which seems like it would be very impractical as well.

Finally, there's the nonsensical armor choices. In Earthbound, for instance, all the armor consisted of hats, bracelets, coins and necklaces, and the occasional hair ribbon. Final Fantasy 7 also had the exclusively-bracelet armor model. How exactly is this stuff supposed to be protecting me again? Do the characters take every hit on the wrists like Wonder Woman?

This is to say nothing of the bizarre weapons some video game characters (especially JRPG characters for some reason) tend to use, including but not limited to: cards, umbrellas, handbags, scarves, brooms, books, dice, teddy bears, dolls, shoes, and hair pins.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    This is to say nothing of the bizarre weapons some video game characters (especially JRPG characters for some reason) tend to use, including but not limited to: cards, umbrellas, handbags, scarves, brooms, books, dice, teddy bears, dolls, shoes, and hair pins.
    That shit stopped being cute or funny long ago. It mostly just annoys me now.

Couscous on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Also, I'm tired of cute/mascot characters, unless there's some actual personality to them. I'm playing Tales of Vesperia and my second party member was a dog. He doesn't do much as a character other than be a goddamn dog. On the other hand, one of the two swordsmen on the cover who much of the plot revolves around isn't a character. Like, narratively, there could have been so much more there.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Arivia wrote: »

Also, I'm tired of cute/mascot characters, unless there's some actual personality to them. I'm playing Tales of Vesperia and my second party member was a dog. He doesn't do much as a character other than be a goddamn dog. On the other hand, one of the two swordsmen on the cover who much of the plot revolves around isn't a character. Like, narratively, there could have been so much more there.

Yeah, I don't get the sudden popularity of dogs as major companions in RPGs.

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Is this common? The only dog I know about was Boney in Mother 3 and it's actually somewhat justified (the Mother series has always had dogs the player could talk to because the main character has telepathy, and Mother 2 also had a (briefly) playable dog).

The weird weapons is everywhere, though, even in the Final Fantasy series, which usually tries to keep things at least moderately realistic (at least compared to the more anime-influenced RPG series like Lunar and Tales and Suikoden). The weird armor I can live with since you usually don't actually see it, but watching a supposedly plot-relevant character smack around eldritch demons with a parasol is just dumb. I really can't see why developers do it.

Duffel on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Recently there was also Fallout 3 and Fable 2.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    Those are dogs that act like dogs though.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    Is this common? The only dog I know about was Boney in Mother 3 and it's actually somewhat justified (the Mother series has always had dogs the player could talk to because the main character has telepathy, and Mother 2 also had a (briefly) playable dog).

The weird weapons is everywhere, though, even in the Final Fantasy series, which usually tries to keep things at least moderately realistic (at least compared to the more anime-influenced RPG series like Lunar and Tales and Suikoden). The weird armor I can live with since you usually don't actually see it, but watching a supposedly plot-relevant character smack around eldritch demons with a parasol is just dumb. I really can't see why developers do it.

Well, there's dogs in ToV and Fallout too, just off the top of my head. But cute mascots are everywhere: look at Valkyria Chronicles or FF7 or something like Mana-Khemia. It's really annoying to have an utter joke as a party member.

In some ways, Star Ocean 4 is a subversion of that: you have a catgirl and a birdgirl and three different kinds of elves, but they're actually useful in battle and the catgirl is one of the better characters in the entire game.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    SollahSollah Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I thought you could have a dog as your companion in the other Fallout games as well?

Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    And Dog Meat is a Fallout tradition anyway.

Edit- And in case you didn't know, dog companions are in Fallout.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    If you weren't aware, you can recruit a not-cat in all Fallout games.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Stabbing someone isn't a quick way to kill them? That's actually an (I'd say acceptable break from reality). Unless you shoot a person in the head or something they don't tend to just suddenly collapse dead as soon as the bullet strikes them. But unless the game is striving for realism seeing a person screaming for a couple minutes whilst they bleed out on the floor isn't something I really want to see you know?

Leitner on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sure, but those games aren't recent.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Leitner wrote: »
    Stabbing someone isn't a quick way to kill them? That's actually an (I'd say acceptable break from reality). Unless you shoot a person in the head or something they don't tend to just suddenly collapse dead as soon as the bullet strikes them. But unless the game is striving for realism seeing a person screaming for a couple minutes whilst they bleed out on the floor isn't something I really want to see you know?

I actually found that pretty fun in BloodRayne, mostly because it added to the absurdity of the violence.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    jclast wrote: »
    Those are dogs that act like dogs though.

Yeah, I think animals that act naturally are kind of in a different category of character.
    Leitner wrote: »

The ps2 western Gun actually did this; enemies dropped like a normal game but if you walked around the battlefield after a huge firefight most of them would still be writhing and moaning in agony.

You could use this opportunity to scalp them.

Duffel on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I was totally fine with the proportions and relative sizes in Warcraft 3, UNTIL World of Warcraft. Now, I try to logically connect how many footmen would have had to be represented by a single footman unit to accurately represent what's seen in World of Warcraft.

Your player character represents a dozen or so adventurers working together.

Edit: De-typo-smilied.

jothki on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Gunstar wrote: »
    I guess it's supposed to be some other alternative world but in the Phoenix Wright games the law is so out of whack. It seems like everyone is guilty until proven innocent just because they were in the same general area when the murder took place. It's almost like talking about it in court just digs them a deeper hole until by some miracle I dig them out

As has been explained before in the threads about the game, Phoenix Wright games are actually a satire of the Japanese court system. Guilty unless proven innocent, trial with no jury, and the dirty tricks played by the prosecution? That's how it actually works in Japan!

We may view it as just a bizarre game world in the states what with a criminal legal system that at least makes some sense, but Capcom is actually pointing out how messed up the legal system in Japan is. The big deal made about trial by jury in Apollo Justice? That's because Japan is only now experimenting with trial by jury and Capcom is trying to point out to the Japanese populace that it isn't a crazy idea to people that, when polled, were afraid of it.

Wow.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    jothki wrote: »
    :x
    I was totally fine with the proportions and relative sizes in Warcraft 3, UNTIL World of Warcraft. Now, I try to logically connect how many footmen would have had to be represented by a single footman unit to accurately represent what's seen in World of Warcraft.

as much as I hate the setting, some of the things WoW's done make that very explicitly not the case.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    jothki wrote: »
    :x

as much as I hate the setting, some of the things WoW's done make that very explicitly not the case.

Odd, how'd that smiley get in there?

jothki on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My favorite breach of logic.

Not being ALLOWED to kill the final boss before the last level, even if you meet him in a cutscene fully armed.

"WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING TO THE GUY YOU'VFE SWORN TO KILL! JUST FUCKING SHOOT HIM ALREADY!"

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My favorite breach of logic.

Not being ALLOWED to kill the final boss before the last level, even if you meet him in a cutscene fully armed.

"WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING TO THE GUY YOU'VFE SWORN TO KILL! JUST FUCKING SHOOT HIM ALREADY!"

Or even worse than that: you DO kill him, but are then treated to a cutscene where he laughs at your impotence and disapparates or some shit so you can fight him again later. This just happened to me in Mass Effect last night. I literally blew up Saren, and suddenly it goes to a cut scene where he dangles me over a cliff by the throat before hopping on his starship and running away like a pussy because I just kicked his ass.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Why the fuck do so many futuristic doors use turny wheels to open them.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    why are guns more accurate when you crouch? in every game?

when you go prone, sure, but i can't see a massive improvement when you crouch.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The Hitman series is usually pretty good about a lot of these quirks: guns that deal a believable amount of death, no hammerspace for your big guns, guards that don't just go back onto patrol after they've been alerted, etc.

However, apparently only psychopaths apply for positions as policemen and private security. Any transgression will cause anyone with a gun to shoot first and ask questions never, even going so far as to mow down an entire crowd of innocent people to get to you. There's not even an attempt to take you down or ask you to surrender. Such transgressions range from trespassing, holding any sort of 'weapon', and in one game running. I think even wearing a doctor's uniform won't let you hold a syringe. On the other hand, people who man metal detectors are often suprisingly lenient. "Ok, let's see what you've got here. A silenced pistol, submachine gun, and a sawed off shotgun. You'll have to leave this stuff with me. Have a great day!"

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Something tells me you've never shot a gun before.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Boss domain layouts. Any adventure game you can think of with platforming elements, how in christ's name do the henchmen and bosses get from point A to point B in these places?

"Yeah, where's that meeting? Third floor, Conference Room B? Alright, so just so I remember, I need to hop over the lava pit, swing onto the floating platform, dodge the spikes, climb the ladder and I'm there, right? No? Oh right, I have to wall jump three times up the small shaft, grab the ledge, then I'm there. Gotcha"

I always think there's some secret passage to each of these places that our hero simply never finds. Just a door with a staircase that leads right to anyplace you need to be in that dwelling. Probably says "for castmember use only" on the door.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    jclast wrote: »

Something tells me you've never shot a gun before.

correct! why is it that crouching improves your aim, then?

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Lower centre of gravity plays a part. Also you can brace yourself better.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Pureauthor wrote: »

so shouldn't it only improve accuracy for automatic or at least repeated shots, rather than say a single shot?

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Boss domain layouts. Any adventure game you can think of with platforming elements, how in christ's name do the henchmen and bosses get from point A to point B in these places?

"Yeah, where's that meeting? Third floor, Conference Room B? Alright, so just so I remember, I need to hop over the lava pit, swing onto the floating platform, dodge the spikes, climb the ladder and I'm there, right? No? Oh right, I have to wall jump three times up the small shaft, grab the ledge, then I'm there. Gotcha"

I always think there's some secret passage to each of these places that our hero simply never finds. Just a door with a staircase that leads right to anyplace you need to be in that dwelling. Probably says "for castmember use only" on the door.

Dungeon design in general is almost always extremely stupid. It's usually very obvious that it was designed as a series of obstacles for someone to get past as opposed to an actual building or structure that the villains are using for some reason.

The only exception I can think of to this off the top of my head is the Cathedral in Crono Trigger, which is actually kind of laid out like a cathedral/convent/monastery/whatever. I'm sure that there are others but this sort of thing is extremely common.

Duffel on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    There are cases where it's justified, though.

Like in Golden Sun. The Lighthouses are humungous dungeons filled with traps and puzzles that need your party's psynergy to solve - because these things were constructed to make it nigh-impossible for any non-Adept to ascend.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Pureauthor wrote: »

so shouldn't it only improve accuracy for automatic or at least repeated shots, rather than say a single shot?

It also helps you keep a steadier hand.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    re: dungeon design, i always wondered why they made it possible at all for the hero to get in. why not just put a wall of fire or some other impassable substance in front of the (apparently) only entrance?

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Macera wrote: »

Yeah, I don't get the sudden popularity of dogs as major companions in RPGs.

It's not just dogs. Suikoden 2 had a team of squirrels as party characters named Makumaku, Mikumiku, Mukumuku, Mekumeku, and Mokumoku. And those squirrels wore capes.

Suikoden 3 brought the dogs in with Koroku, Koichi, Connie, Kosanji, and Kogoro.

Suikoden 5 was beavers... Maroon, Meroon, Miroon, Moroon, and Muroon.

This is not a new phenomenon. Also, dogs are awesome.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    RPG battles in general always strike me as totally unfair. What is the point of the bad guys having a dungeon or castle if they are only going to make you fight a handful of them at a time while you slowly make your way through the entire place slaughtering all of them? If they had any sense they would at least meet you together as a unified force and overwhelm you. I guess this is why I usually like strategy games more.

Smurph on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It's not just dogs. Suikoden 2 had a team of squirrels as party characters named Makumaku, Mikumiku, Mukumuku, Mekumeku, and Mokumoku. And those squirrels wore capes.

Suikoden 3 brought the dogs in with Koroku, Koichi, Connie, Kosanji, and Kogoro.

Suikoden 5 was beavers... Maroon, Meroon, Miroon, Moroon, and Muroon.
    Xenogears-ChuChu
    FFVII-Cait Sith

Couscous on