As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Things to do at work (games, www)

AwkAwk Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So there's a lot of downtime at my job. I have access to my laptop with limited internet access. Im trying to think of some things i can do to make the time pass. This is okay by the company as there is literally nothing else to do.

I like playing subspace sometimes, a little bit of wow grinding, surfing a few sites... Anyone know of some fun small games i can play or interesting websites? i just got KOTOR 1 and 2 and gonna give them a whirl. was thinking of mech commander 2 and Heroes of Might & Magic 3 too.

Awk on

• Options
    HerschelHerschel Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I always like to play a few roguelikes at work. There are tons of them of every different variety, they're tiny downloads, and it's easy to get a quick game in because you die a lot :lol:

You could try DoomRL for starters, and then just poke around RogueBasin for other ones.

Herschel on
  • Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My company used to allow me to read all the time and it's one of the best decisions I ever made. I got a LOT of reading done in the 6 months I worked there. Shame I had to move...

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is it your personal laptop? I would recommend very strongly that if it's a work supplied laptop do not install any games on it. Never, ever, ever, ever. If your IT group finds out, at best you get known as the guy who had games on his work machine. At worst, you get your ass canned.

Either find some semi-work related websites to read or mess around on the web. Plus, it's a lot easier to explain to your boss why you were reading the NY Time website.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Bring a book!

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is it your personal laptop? I would recommend very strongly that if it's a work supplied laptop do not install any games on it. Never, ever, ever, ever. If your IT group finds out, at best you get known as the guy who had games on his work machine. At worst, you get your ass canned.

Either find some semi-work related websites to read or mess around on the web. Plus, it's a lot easier to explain to your boss why you were reading the NY Time website.

Your TL;DR'd 4 lines of text?

He said his boss is okay with him doing this on company time.

I second the suggestion of reading some books, if that's also allowed.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    JebusUD wrote: »

This, and the random article button on Wikipedia

bruin on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'd do some reading if I were you. Whats your field? Read up on stuff that will help you develop professionally. Hell, maybe there are online courses or something you could be doing.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    RhinoRhino TheRhinLOL Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Corvus wrote: »
    I'd do some reading if I were you. Whats your field? Read up on stuff that will help you develop professionally. Hell, maybe there are online courses or something you could be doing.

Agreed.

Also, do you work in IT? If so, program or learn how to. Any language you want. It'll be useful. If you do it enough it'll become a marketable skill.

Rhino on
    93mb4.jpg
  • Options
    AwkAwk Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, i read a lot at work. But hey tuning my coding skills sounds like a great idea.

Awk on
  • Options
    ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Awk wrote: »
    ...i just got KOTOR 1...
    ahhh, memories

if your typing skill isn't what you'd like it to be, try typeracer

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Audiobooks are fantastic to pass the time, and you can even play most games while listening!

And if you really want to make the time fly by?

Dangerous link coming up:

www.tvtropes.org

There's a random item button...

KalTorak on
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If you actually create an account for stumbleupon, you can choose categories you are interested in. There's a fucking lot. One of the categories is "Online Games". Then when you're hitting the stumble button to get a random website, you can select a single category. Select Online Games, welcome to an endless ream of web browser flash games.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Audiobooks are fantastic to pass the time, and you can even play most games while listening!

And if you really want to make the time fly by?

Dangerous link coming up:

www.tvtropes.org

There's a random item button...

I've lost days to that website.

I'd also recommend public domain novels. The works authors like Shakespeare and Dickens (or any author over 100 years ago) can usually be found in a google search in friendly web-reading format. I've polished off a good dozen or so classics this way. I like it because you don't actually have to carry the book with you, making changing workstations a breeze.

Enc on
  • Options
    Dr. GeroDr. Gero Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    StumbleUpon is great, but watch out for possible NSFW categories.

Dr. Gero on