As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vacuum seal storage bags

El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
This is kind of a weird question but hopefully someone here will be able to help.

OK so I am heading out hiking next weekend and I had the idea to put my sleeping bag into a vacuum seal bag and get it as compact as I can (also I think these bags are water proof as well which is a bonus).

So I will be using these and packing up this. My concern is that by leaving the sleeping bag packed up as tight as it can go that it will get damaged.

I guess my question is does anyone have experience using these bags for sleeping bags? Or do you think it will cause any damage to the sleeping bag?

Thanks for any information you have.

BNet: ElMucho#1392
Origin: theRealElMucho
El Mucho on

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I seriously doubt it will damage your sleeping bag.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't think it will hurt it, but how are you going to reseal it while camping? Think it might get too musty if it's used than packed up that tight.

Can't you just use the compression straps and a garbage bag?

edit: Kids and their fancy space-age nonsense, etc.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I don't think it will hurt it, but how are you going to reseal it while camping? Think it might get too musty if it's used than packed up that tight.

Can't you just use the compression straps and a garbage bag?

edit: Kids and their fancy space-age nonsense, etc.

The compression straps and garbage bag was my initial plan but it takes up too much space. So I am looking to get it smaller which I can with the vacuum bags. Also I should have mentioned these are re-sealable vacuum bags. Sorry.

Also your edit made me laugh out loud :)

El Mucho on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

If it does make that much of a difference, then go for it. My current bag is bigger than my tent when packed, so certainly can help. Will you have a car pump or something to re-compress? Or are you not as worried coming home?

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It will only be while I am actually on the trail, during the drive to and from the trail it will be in a normal bag. The bags actually have a two way seal at the bottom so you ziplock it closed at the top and simply roll it up to push all the air out, so unless I rip it on a branch it will be simple to re-compress.

El Mucho on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It won't damage it for short periods of time, but don't store the bag compressed for long periods of time when you're not using it. It crushes the fill and reduces its insulating properties.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    3783107715_fb345b93dc.jpg

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg