As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Herds of Words - Tycho's Diction

dmautzdmautz Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
Perhaps it is just me but ever since Tycho began playing that accursed Bookworm game his diction has become increasingly ... otherwordly. I always enjoy his writing on the blog and it is fun to learn a few new words here and there. However, when it becomes difficult to determine exactly what he intends to convey, maybe it is too much.

I am an avid reader of p-a (this is my first venture into the forums, which makes me slightly nervous) and I have always considered the work Tycho and Gabe do top notch entertainment. So please, critique and discuss - or if you prefer you may flame me for my sacrilege.

dmautz on

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2009
    Tycho likes big words. I haven't noticed a serious shift in tone in just about forever.

Diff'rent strokes at the end of the day, though. I like the style of writing - it's like a game of Follow the Metaphor.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sometimes it's funny and sometimes it's pretentious. If I find myself annoyed with a particular passage I just stop reading the blog and move on.

Smurph on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, sometimes I can follow what he's writing, other times it just comes off as throwing big words for the sake of using them. Never bothers me much though.

Kyougu on
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Didn't we just have this thread?

Yeah, he flirts with the line between eloquent and pedantic. It's usually quirky and enjoyable and sometimes a little too much.

Yar on
  • dmautzdmautz Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yar wrote: »
    Didn't we just have this thread?

Yeah, he flirts with the line between eloquent and pedantic. It's usually quirky and enjoyable and sometimes a little too much.

I tried looking a few pages back and in search to make sure I wasn't reposting :?

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one in the boat.

dmautz on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm a fan of the big words. The fact I use sentance fragments frequently doesn't make that wrong!

Caveman Paws on
  • Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Even as an English Lit. graduate I have to look up the odd word when trying to read Tycho's posts. It feels a little forced, but other than that I guess there's something to be said for learning new words.

It's his often ridiculous overuse of italics that I find irritating.

Ed321 on
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ed321 wrote: »
    It's his often ridiculous overuse of italics that I find irritating.

Fixed

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You can tell he has read too much Lovecraft to really be healthy.

big l on
  • FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    When a man rants and raves we call him mad.

When does it on the internet we call it a blog.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Has he written anything or was all that Sorcelator nonsense just a running joke I didn't get?

Yeah, he's definitely masturbating with a thesaurus but I generally see it as all good fun. One could almost call it a superfluous labyrinth of verbosity.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I haven't read the blog in some time now.

His writing is just too verbose and pedantic.

Was that sentence ironic?

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I wouldn't ever call his writing pedantic or pretentious. It think that kind of misses what is really going on here. Tycho uses a big five dollar word because using a big five dollar word makes him happy. The feeling I get is that he just really enjoys, and is amused by, large words, overwrought metaphors and the like. And what can I say, I really enjoy reading his writing, because it's very fun, playful, and not very serious.

Inquisitor on
  • mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I wouldn't ever call his writing pedantic or pretentious. It think that kind of misses what is really going on here. Tycho uses a big five dollar word because using a big five dollar word makes him happy. The feeling I get is that he just really enjoys, and is amused by, large words, overwrought metaphors and the like. And what can I say, I really enjoy reading his writing, because it's very fun, playful, and not very serious.

Agreed. He delights in language. I like that.

mysticjuicer on
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Tycho's prose is so purple it's practically royalty. It's so rare these days for people to have fun with language, instead of using it like a tired workhorse to get from point A to point B as quickly as possible.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    "Philistines" Tycho would call you, from his obsidian throne--wrought by the wordsmiths of yester yore. His falciform speech, florid and deodatic, shall hail from his orifices (all of them) and strike asunder the unbelievers.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    "Philistines" Tycho would call you, from his obsidian throne--wrought by the wordsmiths of yester yore. His falciform speech, florid and deodatic, shall hail from his orifices (all of them) and strike asunder the unbelievers.

And how.

Kilroy on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Tycho just likes to play with words, using overwrought language when something plain would convey similar meaning. I like to play with words as well and don't begrudge him his fancies. His blog posts inspire me by showing me new ways of manipulating the English language.

I think that he does try to convey useful information to his readers but language is also an important part of what he does, almost as though he's telling a story while he's describing a game, and I believe it's a packaged deal, something you can't separate. It's not something you can change nor do I think it ought to be changed. I find his inventiveness amusing.

Sarksus on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    dmautz wrote: »
    Perhaps it is just me but ever since Tycho began playing that accursed Bookworm game his diction has become increasingly ... otherwordly. I always enjoy his writing on the blog and it is fun to learn a few new words here and there. However, when it becomes difficult to determine exactly what he intends to convey, maybe it is too much.

I am an avid reader of p-a (this is my first venture into the forums, which makes me slightly nervous) and I have always considered the work Tycho and Gabe do top notch entertainment. So please, critique and discuss - or if you prefer you may flame me for my sacrilege.

Oh hey, is it time to complain about Tycho's vocabulary again already?

Seriously, if you have difficulty parsing what Tycho's talking about, you need to read more.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited August 2009

Seriously, if you have difficulty parsing what Tycho's talking about, you need to read more.

That is true. I mean, the most difficult words in the past post were:

phlegmy
    vacillation
    strata

Those hardly warrant busting out the dictionary.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009

phlegmy
    vacillation
    strata

I hadn't even noticed those words, although now that you bring it up, was phlegmy used to mean apathetic or a reference to the unpleasantness of coughing up phlegm?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    the overwhelming sense I get, as others have said, is that he's enjoying himself. I wouldn't want him to write any other way, it would defeat the purpose of what the two of them have done if they couldn't write however the fuck they want.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited August 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »

phlegmy
    vacillation
    strata

I hadn't even noticed those words, although now that you bring it up, was phlegmy used to mean apathetic or a reference to the unpleasantness of coughing up phlegm?

More towards apathetic. In that he was so caught up in present time (caught up like you would be mired in phlegm) that he didn't stop to look at the absurd nature of his job.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's really not that hard to understand, yer all just dumbasses. And I'm used to calling up dictionary.com any time I'm reading something and hit a word I don't know, so if I have to do that, I do that.

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh lord, not again.

I like Tycho's writing. If it weren't for him, I wouldn't read Penny Arcade. The blog posts are often funnier than the comics.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • GreenleafGreenleaf Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I generally only read the blogs if I like the comic. I understand that Tycho enjoys his writing but for many people it only serves as a deterrent for the eyeballs.

Greenleaf on
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    However, when it becomes difficult to determine exactly what he intends to convey, maybe it is too much.

dictionary.com

Hope this helps.

I like that Tycho uses words outside of the purview of those with only a G.E.D. It is one of the things that makes this webcomic not Megatokyo.

_J_ on
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Get Ubiquity for Firefox.

When you get to a word you don't understand and can't derive from the sentence its in (which I usually can anyway in Tycho's posts) you hit ALT+SPACE and type:

define <word>

PROBLEM SOLVED

And shit, its his website. He writes for himself, not for you.

theSquid on
  • The Boy SatelliteThe Boy Satellite Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    some people have word envy. :3

The Boy Satellite on
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I remember hearing the first podcast and thinking "Wow he really does talk like that."

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • dmautzdmautz Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's not necessarily the specific words that are hard to understand, but rather the inclusion of so many uncommon words and phrases within a sentence. Maybe it isn't even this. Maybe 'hard to understand' is the wrong way to describe it.

For example in the most recent post: "It's got an elegant, modern Art Deco motif that hides a secret affinity for the automated underclass."

That's a lot to think about. It is the amount of brainpower needed to catch every meaning and intent within the passage that is different. Perhaps when I'm on the internet, I am used to reading such dumbed down text that I'm just not used to writing of such caliber. Many times I am so excited about the new comic and post that I just want to gorge myself on it, satisfying my need for new content as quickly as possible. Tycho just writes in a way that lends itself better to actual reading. (which I am trying to get back into the habit of doing)

dmautz on
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I remember hearing the first podcast and thinking "Wow he really does talk like that."
    Oh yes. And it's even better when you're having an actual conversation with him. I was lucky enough to get to speak to him before opening hours at Comic-Con this year (walked over to Scott Kurtz' booth to see if he was there and, when he wasn't, decided to pluck up the courage to actually engage Jerry and Mike in conversation) and he was... verbose.

I was still frazzled from the journey to San Diego so in my stupor my brain made up new words. Like "Illegitemitamite". And, rightly so, he called me on it. Later I reminded him that I'm English and, as such, I can make up whatever bullshit words I like. He had no objections. Mike did, though.

Personally, I love reading Jerry's blog posts. It's wholly edifying to see someone having fun with the English language, and although I don't think I'm erudite enough to make such words leap through hoops for my own entertainment, I greatly enjoy seeing Jerry whistle a tune for the language to dance to.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sometimes I try to write a little like Tycho, sometimes I even hand in a complex and metaphore-ridden sentence in an intro to a paper. It usually ends up with the teacher drawing a nice red line under it and scolding me for using such useless language.

I try to keep my sentences slightly more to the point now.

Aldo on
  • joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Talking about the podcasts, I wish they did more of them. It's been so long, and find their idle banter the perfect thing to take my mind off what ever pointless pipetting I'm else-wise engaged in.

Also for those using OSX, the Dictionary app is surprisingly robust, and informative, with latin roots and all.

joshua1 on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    ah, the yearly 'tycho makes my little brain hurt' thread.

Good times.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Portugal.TheMarkPortugal.TheMark Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I really enjoy Tycho's writing. I've never ran into a sentence that I couldn't get the feeling of because of a particular word. In fact I think he's a great writer. Everytime I read the blog I kind of feel as though I'm reading a passage by one of the great 19th century authors like Emerson or Twain.

Portugal.TheMark on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    joshua1 wrote: »
    Also for those using OSX, the Dictionary app is surprisingly robust, and informative, with latin roots and all.
    The best way to read Tycho's posts is with your cursor over the text, pressing control-command-D when required.

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man he ain't even that bad. 2-dollar words just mean you have to look something up. It's not like he's going for experimental prose. I mean like half the things he uses are just fun adjectives.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2009
    big l wrote: »

I dunno, he hasn't used gibbous in a while.

Echo on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    big l wrote: »

I dunno, he hasn't used gibbous in a while.
    It has been a while since he's waxed anything.
    ah, the yearly 'tycho makes my little brain hurt' thread.

Good times.
    More like bi-monthly.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png