As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Wizardry Renaissance: Labyrinth of Lost Souls PSN! And also the Apple store!(!?)

• Options
    eloquentraveeloquentrave Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Someone needs to compile an accurate list of what drops off of what on what floor.

I got an Odin Sword to drop the other day, in Shiin 8, but I gave it up, due to my Samurai leveling in the same fight, with crap HP and lost Vit and Luc.

eloquentrave on
  • Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Someone needs to compile an accurate list of what drops off of what on what floor.

I got an Odin Sword to drop the other day, in Shiin 8, but I gave it up, due to my Samurai leveling in the same fight, with crap HP and lost Vit and Luc.

Wow, bad choice. Level ups are not that important. Gear is more important than anything else.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An78CTpq4DZndGZxRElmZEZLYW0wc0lqb1JtSC10RlE&hl=en_US#gid=0

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    eloquentraveeloquentrave Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Eh.

My Lord (the only class that use an Odin Blade) already has my second Dragon Slayer, and activates Huge Shield as often as not.

So it's kind of moot, as yet.

Diamond Robe is sick good on a back row Huge Shielding Lord - whatever M range weapon he wields is almost an after thought.

eloquentrave on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I havent been activating Shield often, is it good? I got 2 lords, just been relying on Magic wall.

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Got a Bushido Blade just now. Holy cow. 6 attacks, same damage as a Ice Sword, and bonuses to almost every monster type.

Wish a Ninja could use it, heh.

Lost a few levels on D6. Apparently fire drakes drain levels. Everyone's around level 16-17 on average right now.

Not too upset about losing levels, since apparently you retain all the HP you gained for that level.

KiTA on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Anyone have an idea of the best level to grind around on for gear? I'm thinking Shin 4 so far, but if anyone has a better idea...

Esh on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    SpaceDrake wrote: »
    Also this skeleton key thing is kind of hilarious given that you can't actually see it in the PSN Store option from the game itself. That'll be kind of a problem for XSEED I think.

Skeleton Key? What?

KiTA on
  • Options
    SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The unlock for the lower bits of Trials. It's refered to as a "skeleton key" in-game if you don't have it.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Esh wrote: »
    Anyone have an idea of the best level to grind around on for gear? I'm thinking Shin 4 so far, but if anyone has a better idea...

Shin 4 has Odin sword off dark crusaders, its really good.
    Shin 8 has some insanely good drops in the western area, but they are all rare drops of rare monsters. The encounters arent all the difficult though. But again, they are all super, super rare. If you have a ninja its worth doing to get the Shuriken which is insanely good. I really wanted samurai sword of the Hatamotos there, but they spawn so rarely its not worth it.

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    KiTA wrote: »
    Got a Bushido Blade just now. Holy cow. 6 attacks, same damage as a Ice Sword, and bonuses to almost every monster type.

Wish a Ninja could use it, heh.

Lost a few levels on D6. Apparently fire drakes drain levels. Everyone's around level 16-17 on average right now.

Not too upset about losing levels, since apparently you retain all the HP you gained for that level.

Losing levels is entirely not a big deal in this. Levels really dont mean anything besides hp past 25 anyway.

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just got into this this morning. I made my characters and did a bit of initial exploration last night, but today finally gave me some new weapons. Got a pair of bastard swords and a pair of short swords before I had to leave for the office. Hopefully that will give my party a bit of oomph tonight.

Artereis on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Magic Wall is nuts. Basically you cast it, and the next level/10 hits don't hit.

Think there might also be a HP limit, but not sure.

Makes some of these fights a breeze.

Had to switch my mage and priest after I had some trouble raising them and realized they both have like 5 VIT. Stupid lack of HP.

Got Holy Armor and Diamond Robe as well, so I turned my Fighter into a Samurai, and my Samurai into a Lord (couldn't just switch the Fighter to a Lord, unfortunately). Now with the better gear layout, they each have 65 defense and like 45 dodge. Pretty happy with it, all things considered.

Last thing I did before bed was find a Dragon Slayer, so my lord is now using the Dragon Slayer and an Aegis Shield, my Samurai is using the Bushido Blade and the Dragon Kite.

So yeah. Now just have to grind up again so they can survive fights down in B8. I've mapped most of B8, save the antimagic area, and have moved down to B9 for a short sprint.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Amusingly, the DLC we already got is dated 5/16/2011. That means that the PSN being down delayed the game's launch by 2, almost 3 weeks.

Wonder if/when we're getting the other DLC.

Some stuff about Wizardry Online:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/09/e3-2011-first-look-at-wizardry-online/

- Permadeath, just like the old school Wizardry games.
    - Stupidly difficult
    - Yes, there will be PVP. And looting of enemy corpses.
    - Confirmed for US release in 2012.
    The faint-hearted need not apply, and the Headlock devs are blunt about your chances: "Wizardry is a very difficult game and delights in killing the player. MMOs today coddle the player, but we're taking a different route. That said, this is a fair game that rewards the strategic and skillful player."

But just how hardcore is Wizardry Online? One word sums it up: permadeath. "When you die, you become a ghost and have a chance to get your body back," the rep said. "But if you should fail, you'll lose your body forever."

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Amusingly, the DLC we already got is dated 5/16/2011. That means that the PSN being down delayed the game's launch by 2, almost 3 weeks.

Wonder if/when we're getting the other DLC.

Some stuff about Wizardry Online:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/09/e3-2011-first-look-at-wizardry-online/

- Permadeath, just like the old school Wizardry games.
    - Stupidly difficult
    - Yes, there will be PVP. And looting of enemy corpses.
    - Confirmed for US release in 2012.
    The faint-hearted need not apply, and the Headlock devs are blunt about your chances: "Wizardry is a very difficult game and delights in killing the player. MMOs today coddle the player, but we're taking a different route. That said, this is a fair game that rewards the strategic and skillful player."

But just how hardcore is Wizardry Online? One word sums it up: permadeath. "When you die, you become a ghost and have a chance to get your body back," the rep said. "But if you should fail, you'll lose your body forever."

I'm going to be all over this. Hopefully the PKing isn't too retarded.

Esh on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Permadeath really sort of turns me off from wanting it, to be honest. I like a challenge as much as the next guy, but if this is expected to be some kind of MMO-experience, I'd hope there would be carebear servers for non-pvp, non-permadeath so people can enjoy the loot they earn.

EDIT: Ah, well, I can handle permadeath if they at least give you a chance to recover from it. Reminds me of Demon's Souls, and that I can accept.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Permadeath really sort of turns me off from wanting it, to be honest. I like a challenge as much as the next guy, but if this is expected to be some kind of MMO-experience, I'd hope there would be carebear servers for non-pvp, non-permadeath so people can enjoy the loot they earn.

EDIT: Ah, well, I can handle permadeath if they at least give you a chance to recover from it. Reminds me of Demon's Souls, and that I can accept.

We'll just have to travel in packs.

That's what I hate about WoW. There's no real danger anywhere. Even in the overworld fighting non-elite mobs I never feel like things could go bad. Even on a PvP server.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So I unequipped my Ninja's weapons on a lark.

He's doing 5 damage a hit. And insta-killing about 90% of the time.

KiTA on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I made my M Dwarf into a Samurai. We'll see how that goes. Still no Evil characters for a Ninja.

I respected my Priest into a Bishop. Might've been a bad idea.

She can't exorcise anymore. :( That was an awesome skill.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Magic Wall (Bishop class skill) is god's gift to Wizardry players.

KiTA on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So is Exorcism.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    As much as I hate to sign into the evil and vile PSN, this looks like it may force me. I have nothing but the fondest memories playing the early wizardry games on my wee home computer as a kid, pushing those fat SVGA sprites and 4 megs of RAM to their epic max. :P

I still remember getting one of them on christmas morning. I think it was 6? The initial savant one. Man, I played the ever loving hell out of that for the better part of the following months.

Straygatsby on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Oh what the hell. Pori Pori Mushroom quest is evil.
    Level 32 Succubi? At least if I'm getting screwed, it's by a hot naked chick with lady godiva hair.

Going to have to shelve that one for a bit. They're one shotting my main character even, 600+ damage. Closest I've come to beating them is getting lucky with hide in shadows on my ninja.

KiTA on
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So Lord or Samurai for my MC? I just rolled a 40 bonus. I assume both of those are better than a plain ol' fighter?

krylon666 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I managed to farm up a Speed Dagger and an Ice Sword on Shin 4. I'm going to try and find another dagger, but is there anything else here I should be looking out for?

EDIT: And I just put in a bid on Tales Of The Forsaken Land on eBay. Now I just have to buy a PS2 and figure out how to not make it look like ass on my Sony Bravia 40" LCD.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    krylon666 wrote: »
    So Lord or Samurai for my MC? I just rolled a 40 bonus. I assume both of those are better than a plain ol' fighter?

I would say Lord. Samurai is basically fighter with mediocre magic.

Though it does get access to Katana, so...

Also, my PS2 looks fine on LCD, with standard cables, but I'm not very picky.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh cj, the official thread on BOTH PA and NeoGAF? :P

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    krylon666 wrote: »

Fighter: High HP. Special attack: Focus for 1 turn, then Attack 3 times.
    Lord: Medium-High HP. Special attack: Take all physical attacks for the team for 1 turn. Learns 2 random cleric spells from each level.
    Samurai: Medium-High HP. Special attack: Hits all monsters in a row for half damage. Learns 2 random mage spells from each level.

All 3 can usually wield mostly the same weapons, with Samurai getting eastern weapons and Lords getting Holy weapons.

The ultra high end progression usually involves Bishop class changing into your preferred class after level 25, this gets you the most casts of the spells (4 of each level) and all magic.

My current endgame plan is 2 Ninjas, a Samurai in the front, and a Lord and two Bishops in the back. May change based on a lark (for example, the second ninja may also be a lord, we'll see). If not for Magic Wall, my plan would be Lords and Samurais in the back, class changed from Bishop so they have 9 casts of their respective magic and 4 of their off-class stuff.

Fighter has the most HP gain (modified heavily by VIT) with Lord and Samurai being somewhat close seconds. Leveling from 1 to 50 (max level) as a Fighter costs 4378248 XP or gold, or 33491598 for level 99 (cap after the second DLC is released and downloaded). So if you wanted to be a smart alec, you could switch to fighter, pay your 4 million bucks to the temple, then switch again (say, to Fighter), keeping half the HP of a level 50 fighter, and leveling up again. You could do this repeatedly; I haven't ran the calculus to see when you lose more HP than you'd gain leveling up from 1-50 as a Fighter -- it would definitely be in the thousands, however.

No clue if using the class books lowers your HP or level or whatnot. It would be hilariously broken if they didn't cut your HP when you switched.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    For the record, my main character got a 30 bonus, and I put +10 to STR, VIT, and AGI, and made him a fighter. That much AGI makes him effectively untouchable in the first few floors.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Was quite happy with my progress yesterday. Mapped all of Shiin F8 (before F7 even, stupid trapdoor...) but while I was down there, I scored an Aelius' Helm, Aegis Shield and Odin Sword for my Lord (transferred the Dragon Kite to my Samurai for added defense) got a Fire Blade for the Samurai (still looking out for a Bushido Blade), a Cura Staff which I gave to my front row Priest because his Mace was doing shit for damage, a Thief Plate and a Power Ring +4.

That Odin Sword is totally ridiculous, by the way.

El Fantastico on

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Thanks Kita, I ended up making a Lord. I was still getting hit with 17 agi (but only in huge fights - i did get hit for like 28 once, killing me. probably a crit). Maybe 18 agi is the "invincible" sweet spot for the first couple floors?

I was running around solo, just to get a feel for the game (and cause I didn't feel like rolling all my other characters). Is the bonus cap always 47 (even for non-MC characters)? I would imagine so. I was glad to see that after I bought the map for the trial dungeon, the area I already covered was displayed.

Is there any downside to leveling one guy a bit, then adding the party later? I assume the XP is always the same (although split across the party).

krylon666 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I went with one guy until the bottom of Trials. Honestly, I probably shouldn't have. It was more to prove a point than anything else. Yes, you'll level faster, but honestly, my Fighter turned Lord turned Samurai turned Mage turned Bishop turned Ninja hasn't much on the other characters, save like 200 more HP.

Yes, the cap is 47 at creation, 60 total (+10 to all stats).

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Grinding up on Shiin 8. I need to do something with my Gnome, she's way behind everyone else with HP, and since she's dying to AOEs all the time, that means her VIT is in the toilet. I might switch her to a fighter for a bit.

I wonder if there's racial HP modfiiers. My Dwarf Fighter turned Samurai is up to 512 HP at level 13, and my MC of Doom only has 699 at 21. If they do, and if Class of Heroes is any basis, Gnomes have a really bad racial HP modifier, and the whole vit thing may be a fool's errand anyway.

Although it could just be the Dwarf's 24 VIT after modifiers compared to my Human MC's 19 with no modifiers, who knows.

Just got a Sacrifice Seal. This should be... interesting.

KiTA on
  • Options
    SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I wonder if there's racial HP modfiiers. My Dwarf Fighter turned Samurai is up to 512 HP at level 13, and my MC of Doom only has 699 at 21. If they do, and if Class of Heroes is any basis, Gnomes have a really bad racial HP modifier, and the whole vit thing may be a fool's errand anyway.

There almost certainly are. I have 2 gnomes in my party and both of them have absolute crap for HP despite having good VIT now.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    SpaceDrake wrote: »

There almost certainly are. I have 2 gnomes in my party and both of them have absolute crap for HP despite having good VIT now.

Yeah, kinda getting that impression.

Holy crap, the difficulty spike from B8 to B9 in Shiin is absurd. Occasionally mobs in B8 will hit for like 400 damage, sometimes will cast spells that hit the entire party for 200-300. EVERYTHING in B9 hits for 600-700, and casts spells for 400+. Fortunately, 8 is dropping some really nice gear, so...

KiTA on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I have a Fighter that I want to change into a Lord but her INT is way too low, at only 7. The only class I can make her is Priest. Should I just go for it, and then change to Lord when she gains enough stats?

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    How early should I consider changing someone to another class? One of my fighters just hit level 5 and gained enough stat points to qualify for Samurai. Should I go for it now, or would I be better off waiting until later?

Artereis on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Found a bug. Try to tithe when you have 0 gold. You get a "dummy" message, which is localization speak for "we haven't finished translating this and don't anticipate people ever seeing it, so we're not going to finish it right now."

If I was going to patch it, I'd have something silly like "the divine keeps you in their thoughts." or "You feel a presence. It is rolling its eyes." ... or somesuch.
    harvest wrote: »
    So I have a Fighter that I want to change into a Lord but her INT is way too low, at only 7. The only class I can make her is Priest. Should I just go for it, and then change to Lord when she gains enough stats?
    Artereis wrote: »
    How early should I consider changing someone to another class? One of my fighters just hit level 5 and gained enough stat points to qualify for Samurai. Should I go for it now, or would I be better off waiting until later?

A few schools of thought on this.

Fighters gain the most HP of any class. You lose half your HP when you switch. Switching later is better.

Lords can cast spells as well as a priest but only natively get half of them. Learning all the spells as a priest first then switching to Lord gets you a really powerful healer who can also melee. Giving them an M range weapon and putting them in the back row helps even more.

Since you no longer lose all your bonus stats when you class change (in the old Apple IIe / NES Wizardry games, you'd start over at 0 bonus points when switching), you can switch repeatedly to farm stat gains upon levelup, at the expense of max HP, which is fixable with more levels later. So you could switch to samurai, level till 5ish, then switch to fighter again, level till 5ish, then switch back to Samurai. Just as an example.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I really haven't found a need to switch classes just yet. My party has been doing well enough up to Shiin F8. Deaths mainly occur because of terrible luck like the enemy surprising my party, and it's 3 Vampires (who all hit like a truck on steroids) with an accompanying 3 Arch Demons casting group spells killing my team in one shot. I mean, unless you re-class several times bringing your HP into the thousands, you're not expected to survive.

I'm just going to beat the game with the dwarf male MC and make a new party afterwards. I'm curious about the Warehouse in the Inn. It seems like you can store additional equipment earned from other parties in your main save and be able to equip your mans early on with top-end gear. Has anyone tested that feature to see if that's how it works?

El Fantastico on

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Oh. My.

Hellooooo Muramasa.

80-520 x7, Accu 12, Def 5, Samurai Only. Causes Confusion, Blue (double damage) vs everything except dragons, adds STR, SP+, MDef+, SpDef+.

Jesus. Christ. Only problem is that it's 2 handed, so no shield for you. The Def5 helps, but not much. 520 x7 = a max of 3640 damage before blue modifications + strength mods + etc etc.

Oh, and it has a special ability -- use it, and you lose the sword, but gain a few levels worth of free max HP.

Dropped off Hatamoto right next to the stairs to B9. They're not rare there, they're fairly common.

Basically:
    Fighter - Basic Melee
    Lord - Tank
    Samurai - Damage Dealer

Edit: Average attack with her is about 1500 right now, and that's not all that much, considering she's only hitting 4 times out of 7 (due to her level).

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Shit, that sounds awesome. Are there bosses of any kind in this? Or unique monsters? I haven't read the thread end to end, so I apologize if its been answered already.

krylon666 on