As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pre-Fight Debate Thread: Bracket 15

• robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    and can even compress nearly two-dimensional like a sheet of paper to glide on air currents, similar to Mister Fantastic, which she uses to survive an explosion.

robosagogo on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    In any case, he is more powerful than most of the X-Men. Wolverine? Cyclops? Gambit? Beast? Angel?

Storm?

DJ Eebs on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Cyclops, Gambit and Wolverine would all rape Electro (and frankly, Electro would probably get excited at the prospect of Cyclops raping him). So would Storm.

Regina Fong on
    edited December 2006
    jeepguy wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    jeepguy wrote:
    I don't think you know how explosions work. Paper is still affected by explosions.

Go ahead and read her wiki entry.
    You misunderstood the entry. She went 2-D so she could glide away from the explosion, not because being flat somehow rendered her impervious.

That may be, but she has broken some of her old shapeshifting restrictions, and Electro can still be killed by an explosion as well.

Considering the fact that he's the one causing the explosions, he's in the best position to avoid since he'll likely only cause them when he's at a safe distance or has a safe place to duck into.

Even if he is caught, she'll die first and he'll still win.

And like I said, I was referencing the part about blowing up metal containers holding combustible materials to illustrate how he can destroy everyone's weaponry, not to show how he can kill Mystique. All he needs to do to beat Mystique is zap her.

robosagogo on
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    jeepguy wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    jeepguy wrote:
    I don't think you know how explosions work. Paper is still affected by explosions.

Go ahead and read her wiki entry.
    You misunderstood the entry. She went 2-D so she could glide away from the explosion, not because being flat somehow rendered her impervious.

That may be, but she has broken some of her old shapeshifting restrictions, and Electro can still be killed by an explosion as well.

Considering the fact that he's the one causing the explosions, he's in the best position to avoid since he'll likely only cause them when he's at a safe distance or has a safe place to duck into.

Even if he is caught, she'll die first and he'll still win.

And like I said, I was referencing the part about blowing up metal containers holding combustible materials to illustrate how he can destroy everyone's weaponry, not to show how he can kill Mystique. All he needs to do to beat Mystique is zap her.

All she needs to do is not be grounded when he tries to zap her. His lightning bolts have always been weaksauce against insulated, flying, or otherwise ungrounded oponents. Because, you know, electricity.

Regina Fong on
    edited December 2006
    Geebs wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    In any case, he is more powerful than most of the X-Men. Wolverine? Cyclops? Gambit? Beast? Angel?

Storm?
    More powerful than 51%?

Besides, anyone who can beat Electro in one on one will beat Mystique in one on one as well. The reverse, however, is not true.

In any case, I actually think Electro could beat Storm in one on one if she were not prepared. Flying on wind currents doesn't make her as mobile as the person he's used to fighting, and she has no defensive abilities that would stop him from hitting her with a bolt before she can even summon a full force weather condition.

robosagogo on
    edited December 2006
    All she needs to do is not be grounded when he tries to zap her. His lightning bolts have always been weaksauce against insulated, flying, or otherwise ungrounded oponents. Because, you know, electricity.

The ceilings and walls are just like floors in every area except their function, and he can just hit her directly anyway.

robosagogo on
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Geebs wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

Storm?
    More powerful than 51%?

Besides, anyone who can beat Electro in one on one will beat Mystique in one on one as well. The reverse, however, is not true.

In any case, I actually think Electro could beat Storm in one on one if she were not prepared. Flying on wind currents doesn't make her as mobile as the person he's used to fighting, and she has no defensive abilities that would stop him from hitting her with a bolt before she can even summon a full force weather condition.

Electro's lightning bolts are way, way less dangerous to fliers.

Regina Fong on
    edited December 2006
    jeepguy wrote:

Electro's lightning bolts are way, way less dangerous to fliers.
    Also, I forgot she's resistant to lightning. Scratch that, I guess.

robosagogo on
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:

The ceilings and walls are just like floors in every area except their function, and he can just hit her directly anyway.

Do you understand that electrical current is only really lethal when it travels through your body on it's way to somewhere else?

So if Mystique is not touching the ground, because, say, she is in the middle of executing a flying ninja kick to Electro's stupid face, that his lightning is only going to burn her skin?

Regina Fong on
    edited December 2006
    jeepguy wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

Do you understand that electrical current is only really lethal when it travels through your body on it's way to somewhere else?

So if Mystique is not touching the ground, because, say, she is in the middle of executing a flying ninja kick to Electro's stupid face, that his lightning is only going to burn her skin?

I'd rather get my face kicked than have my skin burnt, especially if I'm used to getting kicked by someone much stronger.

Besides, he's faster than her and she can't float in the air indefintely as part of some kind of suspiciously prolonged jump kick.

robosagogo on
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    jeepguy wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

I'd rather get my face kicked than have my skin burnt, especially if I'm used to getting kicked by someone much stronger.

Besides, he's faster than her and she can't float in the air indefintely as part of some kind of suspiciously prolonged jump kick.

Plus as soon as her foot connected she'd be grounded through him. :oops:

Regina Fong on
    edited December 2006
    Ivy can bring over all the male X-men to her side. Unfortunately that leaves all the pissed off X-women on the other side, plus DOOM.

Ivy can use her powers on women too.[/quote]

robosagogo on
  • GoodCitizenGoodCitizen Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Wait... I haven't been reading alot of X-men recently but I don't recall Mystique being able to compress herself almost 2-D. Was that a recent change? If she can do so now, I don't think we're using that version of her.

Right in her power list at the beginning of the thread it states:
    Powers: Ability to change her shape (only other humanoid forms), heal surface tissue damage, immunity to diseases, ageless, skilled hand-to-hand combatant and master strategist.

I dare not defy Doom.

GoodCitizen on
    Benjamin Franklin used foil covered window glass to create a capacitor. He then attempted to kill a turkey with the stored charge. Instead, he knocked himself out. Franklin later wrote, "I tried to kill a turkey but nearly succeeded in killing a goose."
    edited December 2006
    Wait... I haven't been reading alot of X-men recently but I don't recall Mystique being able to compress herself almost 2-D. Was that a recent change? If she can do so now, I don't think we're using that version of her.

Powers: Ability to change her shape (only other humanoid forms), heal surface tissue damage, immunity to diseases, ageless, skilled hand-to-hand combatant and master strategist.

I dare not defy Doom.

Read the bottom part where it explains her powers. Unless Doom specifically says we are using a past version of a character, I think the generaly consensus is that we are using the most current version of the character (which is why Electro is less powerful, for example).

Regina Fong on
  • NinjaSquirrelNinjaSquirrel Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    jeepguy wrote:

I dare not defy Doom.

Read the bottom part where it explains her powers. Unless Doom specifically says we are using a past version of a character, I think the generaly consensus is that we are using the most current version of the character (which is why Electro is less powerful, for example).
    Yeah, but Doom has been putting limits on a lot of peoples powers through out the tournament.

NinjaSquirrel on
    edited December 2006
    jeepguy wrote:

I dare not defy Doom.

Yeah, but Doom has been putting limits on a lot of peoples powers through out the tournament.

To keep them from being grossly overpowered (I'm looking at you, DC villains) Mystique has no such issue, even with her current abilities.

Regina Fong on
  • NinjaSquirrelNinjaSquirrel Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    jeepguy wrote:
    jeepguy wrote:

I dare not defy Doom.

To keep them from being grossly overpowered (I'm looking at you, DC villains) Mystique has no such issue, even with her current abilities.
    Yeah, but Doom still decided to add the humanoid form only rule to her for this round.

NinjaSquirrel on
    edited December 2006
    jeepguy wrote:
    jeepguy wrote:

I dare not defy Doom.

Yeah, but Doom still decided to add the humanoid form only rule to her for this round.

I doubt it was intentional, he probably wasn't aware of her recent new abilities.

And my but you are a pedantic son of a bitch.

Regina Fong on
    edited December 2006
    Electro has also worked with Chameleon, a shape-shifter and spy, on several occasions. Simply by coordinating attacks and combining tactics, and therefore knowing what Chameleon does to win fights and blend into crowds, Electro will have some degree of familiarity with Mystique's own tactics where they overlap with ole' pale face's.

robosagogo on
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Electro has also worked with Chameleon, a shape-shifter and spy, on several occasions. Simply by coordinating attacks and combining tactics, and therefore knowing what Chameleon does to win fights and blend into crowds, Electro will have some degree of familiarity with Mystique's own tactics where they overlap with ole' pale face's.

Except that Electro has no tactical skill, and virtually everything he does is poorly planned and generally just ill-conceived.

Hell, wiki specifically states that Electro is nearly always defeated by being outsmarted by his oponents. This simply doesn't bode well for him when up against one of the tricksiest villains in the MU.

Regina Fong on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    jeepguy wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

Except that Electro has no tactical skill, and virtually everything he does is poorly planned and generally just ill-conceived.

Hell, wiki specifically states that Electro is nearly always defeated by being outsmarted by his oponents. This simply doesn't bode well for him when up against one of the tricksiest villains in the MU.

Electro really is just a goon, Mystique manages a plethora of identities all over the world.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited December 2006
    Lacking tactical skill by no means suggests that Electro is going to forget everything Chameleon ever told him including something like, "I usually turn into a janitor because people deliberately ignore them and I can keep a firearm in the bucket."

Even the most idiotic among us possess basic powers of recollection.

robosagogo on
  • MajidahMajidah Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    All's I'm sayin is Mystique usually wins her fights by outsmarting her opponent. Electro usually loses his fights by being outsmarted.

Mystique usually loses her fights by being outsmarted by someone smarter than her. Electro wins his fights by exercising more raw power.

Mystique seems to be equipped with electro's kryptonite, while electro has a very useful powerset that does not often beat mystique. If the arena was a place that involved no sneakery (say the vacant lot behind my house), smarts couldn't enter into it and electro would beat the snot out of mystique before she could do much about it. Unfortunately, it's a place that's easy to get lost in and is going to require some planning to navigate. It plays to electro's weaknesses and Mystiques strengths.

Majidah on
    edited December 2006
    Majidah wrote:
    All's I'm sayin is Mystique usually wins her fights by outsmarting her opponent. Electro usually loses his fights by being outsmarted.

Mystique usually loses her fights by being outsmarted by someone smarter than her. Electro wins his fights by exercising more raw power.

Mystique seems to be equipped with electro's kryptonite, while electro has a very useful powerset that does not often beat mystique. If the arena was a place that involved no sneakery (say the vacant lot behind my house), smarts couldn't enter into it and electro would beat the snot out of mystique before she could do much about it. Unfortunately, it's a place that's easy to get lost in and is going to require some planning to navigate. It plays to electro's weaknesses and Mystiques strengths.

Mystique's kryptonite is having her presence known. Electro knows she's in the building, and that's all he needs to know given his strength. He doesn't need to plan and navigate throughtfully. He can just go floor to floor and kill everybody.

robosagogo on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Electro can make lightning bolts large enough to fill hallways. He can release release more electricity then a medium sized thunderstorm and still have enough to blow up a couple of city blocks. He can drain electricity from any weapon used against him. He can give seizures by disrupting the flow of nerve impulses. He can set up a interference field that blocks lasers abd vaporizes bullets before they hit him, and can switch his polarity to repel magnetic objects with explosive force.

Bloods End on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Bloods End wrote:
    Electro can make lightning bolts large enough to fill hallways. He can release release more electricity then a medium sized thunderstorm and still have enough to blow up a couple of city blocks. He can drain electricity from any weapon used against him. He can give seizures by disrupting the flow of nerve impulses. He can set up a interference field that blocks lasers abd vaporizes bullets before they hit him, and can switch his polarity to repel magnetic objects with explosive force.

But he'd probably just yell alot and kill random people 'cause he's not too bright.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited December 2006
    Malkor wrote:
    Bloods End wrote:

But he'd probably just yell alot and kill random people 'cause he's not too bright.

That doesn't matter when he can kill absolutly everyone in the three block radius in about 23 seconds.

Bloods End on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    And yet, Spider-man, who has no defenses against any of that, beats him constantly.

Scooter on
    edited December 2006
    That owes more do with Electro's tendency to brag about his accomplishments to his most hated foe, and his tendency to drag things out.

But here he was no reason to care so he would just blow everyone to hell.

Bloods End on
  • MajidahMajidah Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Mystique's kryptonite is having her presence known. Electro knows she's in the building, and that's all he needs to know given his strength. He doesn't need to plan and navigate throughtfully. He can just go floor to floor and kill everybody.

I'd say more accurately her kryptonite is "being discovered" which Electro still won't be able to do.

I'm having trouble buying it. The way electro has been presented he can defeat any hero or villian who isn't immune to electricity, or mind control or magnetisim or any of his seemingly ever increasing powerset. Yet he is routinely beaten--even in enhanced form--by spiderman, who relies on reflexes and cunning to defeat him.

These are the very attributes that Mystique has in spades. I'm having trouble believing that Electro killing everyone in the building is such a forgone conclusion. Is there precedent? has he killed everyone in say, marvel fort knox to get a bunch of gold?

Majidah on
    edited December 2006
    Majidah wrote:

I'd say more accurately her kryptonite is "being discovered" which Electro still won't be able to do.

I'm having trouble buying it. The way electro has been presented he can defeat any hero or villian who isn't immune to electricity, or mind control or magnetisim or any of his seemingly ever increasing powerset. Yet he is routinely beaten--even in enhanced form--by spiderman, who relies on reflexes and cunning to defeat him.

These are the very attributes that Mystique has in spades. I'm having trouble believing that Electro killing everyone in the building is such a forgone conclusion. Is there precedent? has he killed everyone in say, marvel fort knox to get a bunch of gold?

He doesn't need to discover her when he's going to kill everyone in the building regardless of whether or not they're Mystique.

Spider-Man beats Electro because Electro has never had cause or carte blanche to be as ruthless as possible. In this fight, where he needs to obliterate everyone to win and will suffer no consequences for his actions, what hope does Mystique have?

And yeah, Mystique doesn't have enhanced reflexes or a Spider-Sense. Electro also isn't going to gloat over someone he has no grudge against. He also can't be beaten by bullets.

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but all the arguments for Mystique are basically criticisms of Electro that offer no explanation about how she'd actually beat him. All I'm seeing beyond that is, "He won't know where she is," and, "It's a field advantage." How do either result in a win?

robosagogo on
    edited December 2006
    Robo, I am hearing what you are saying.

Seriously the entire match would be

Mystique: HIDE AMONG CIVILIANS

Government Agets: ARRGH ATTACK ELECTRO

Electro: Uhh, yeah. Then kill everyone and blow everything up.

Bloods End on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Isn't Mystique able to hide other places than around people? I mean, I agree that would be her first step. But as soon as she hears or sees Electro killing everyone, she'll be smart enough to disappear - which is something she is pretty damn good at. Her last resort is not "act like I'm a senator", hell its her 'first resort'. Her last resort is doing some actual spy/stealth shit, which she is highly capable of.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I haven't read a lot of books with Electro in them, but I've never seen anything that says he's the sort to kill 20,000 people at a whim in an instant. Saying "Well he's never done that around Spider-man cause he hates Spider-man more" makes absolutely no sense. He hates Spider-Man, therefore he would have no problem blowing up half of New York just to make sure he hits him.

You guys seem to be playing Electro wildly out of character.

Scooter on
    edited December 2006
    Nogs wrote:
    Isn't Mystique able to hide other places than around people? I mean, I agree that would be her first step. But as soon as she hears or sees Electro killing everyone, she'll be smart enough to disappear - which is something she is pretty damn good at. Her last resort is not "act like I'm a senator", hell its her 'first resort'. Her last resort is doing some actual spy/stealth shit, which she is highly capable of.
    Being able to hide doesn't give her a win.

robosagogo on
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    In the Marvel universe, the Pentagon would be one of the biggest targets in the world for super-powered terrorists and megalomaniacs. I can't really accept the idea that Electro would wipe it out as easily as some of you guys claim.

CyberJackal on
  • CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    I haven't read a lot of books with Electro in them, but I've never seen anything that says he's the sort to kill 20,000 people at a whim in an instant. Saying "Well he's never done that around Spider-man cause he hates Spider-man more" makes absolutely no sense. He hates Spider-Man, therefore he would have no problem blowing up half of New York just to make sure he hits him.

The thing is, other than Mystique and Electro, these aren't 'real people'. They're all holograms in Doom's elaborate simulator. As such, there's absolutely no ethical qualms about slaughtering them wholesale.

At least, that's been my understanding of how the environments work.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
    edited December 2006
    Scooter wrote:

No, you misunderstood what I was saying. Killing people in this tournament has no consequences and the surest way to win is killing everybody. Under these very specific circumstances, Electro shouldn't have a problem going on a total killing spree.

I said he wouldn't gloat because he only gloats over Spider-Man due to the hatred between them. He wouldn't do that for Mystique.

He has also never destroyed New York and everyone in it to get at Spider-Man because that would earn him the death penalty once Thor came to stop him.

Wanna talk about playing people out of character? Mystique is a hero now.

robosagogo on
    edited December 2006
    In the Marvel universe, the Pentagon would be one of the biggest targets in the world for super-powered terrorists and megalomaniacs. I can't really accept the idea that Electro would wipe it out as easily as some of you guys claim.

If there were defenses as strong as what most people are suggesting, they'll be geared towards mutants and, specifically, known mutant terrorists like Mystique. She'd go down in a second.

They'd be less likely to account for Electro who has never shown any aspirations for world domination and never even leaves New York.

robosagogo on