As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pre-Fight Debate Thread: Bracket 15

1235»

• ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Scooter wrote:
    I haven't read a lot of books with Electro in them, but I've never seen anything that says he's the sort to kill 20,000 people at a whim in an instant. Saying "Well he's never done that around Spider-man cause he hates Spider-man more" makes absolutely no sense. He hates Spider-Man, therefore he would have no problem blowing up half of New York just to make sure he hits him.

You guys seem to be playing Electro wildly out of character.

No, you misunderstood what I was saying. Killing people in this tournament has no consequences and the surest way to win is killing everybody. Under these very specific circumstances, Electro shouldn't have a problem going on a total killing spree.

I said he wouldn't gloat because he only gloats over Spider-Man due to the hatred between them. He wouldn't do that for Mystique.

He has also never destroyed New York and everyone in it to get at Spider-Man because that would earn him the death penalty once Thor came to stop him.

Wanna talk about playing people out of character? Mystique is a hero now.

Although I dislike the writing currently between her and Rogue, she's not out of character. She's only ever wanted safety for mutants (and to keep herself alive), so she'll play either side if she thinks it's the best way to go. She's worked for 'good' guys off and on for years (decades, even?).

And whether or not he's going to jail for it, I do not believe Electro is a "kill 20,000 people in one shot" kind of murderer.

Scooter on
  • MajidahMajidah Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Ok, here's a mystique wins scenario.

Mystique turns into a pentagon employee with high security clearance and waits around. She's worked there before so blending in is no big challenge. Electro begins his kill everyone in the building strategy. It's a big building and mystique is lucky enough not to be the first one killed. Panic erupts and security squads are called in. Mystique switches guises into a secuirty goon, and joins one of the fire squads. She sets off the sprinklers in the ring electro is in, removes a fire hose from the wall and uses it to flood the floor of the hallway electro is in. Then she begins to toss grenades down the hallway until she runs out. When she does, she borrows grenades from the rest of her fire squad until they run out. Should electro still be alive, she radios in an airstrike.

Majidah on
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    Scooter wrote:
    I haven't read a lot of books with Electro in them, but I've never seen anything that says he's the sort to kill 20,000 people at a whim in an instant. Saying "Well he's never done that around Spider-man cause he hates Spider-man more" makes absolutely no sense. He hates Spider-Man, therefore he would have no problem blowing up half of New York just to make sure he hits him.

You guys seem to be playing Electro wildly out of character.

No, you misunderstood what I was saying. Killing people in this tournament has no consequences and the surest way to win is killing everybody. Under these very specific circumstances, Electro shouldn't have a problem going on a total killing spree.

I said he wouldn't gloat because he only gloats over Spider-Man due to the hatred between them. He wouldn't do that for Mystique.

He has also never destroyed New York and everyone in it to get at Spider-Man because that would earn him the death penalty once Thor came to stop him.

Wanna talk about playing people out of character? Mystique is a hero now.

Although I dislike the writing currently between her and Rogue, she's not out of character. She's only ever wanted safety for mutants (and to keep herself alive), so she'll play either side if she thinks it's the best way to go. She's worked for 'good' guys off and on for years (decades, even?).

And whether or not he's going to jail for it, I do not believe Electro is a "kill 20,000 people in one shot" kind of murderer.

I meant it's out of character for her to be in this tournament.

And wouldn't he, and in fact most villains and even average people, have no problem killing people (but not really) when failing to do so could result in himself being killed (but not really)?

Majidah: First of all, Electro vaporizes water. Second of all, he'd kill everyone in the security squad including Mystique. Third, I doubt security teams in the Pentagon are wielding grenades when they are imprecise and can cause so much collateral damage.

And how is she going to call in an airstrike on the Pentagon when she likely doesn't know the authorization codes and would be killed in the airstrike as well?

robosagogo on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Majidah wrote:

Mystique turns into a pentagon employee with high security clearance and waits around. She's worked there before so blending in is no big challenge. Electro begins his kill everyone in the building strategy. It's a big building and mystique is lucky enough not to be the first one killed. Panic erupts and security squads are called in. Mystique switches guises into a secuirty goon, and joins one of the fire squads. She sets off the sprinklers in the ring electro is in, removes a fire hose from the wall and uses it to flood the floor of the hallway electro is in. Then she begins to toss grenades down the hallway until she runs out. When she does, she borrows grenades from the rest of her fire squad until they run out. Should electro still be alive, she radios in an airstrike.

Electro can vaporize millions of gallons of water and not get wet.

Bloods End on
  • RonnieWooWoo!RonnieWooWoo! Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Bloods End wrote:
    Majidah wrote:

Couldn't Electro just get his feet off the ground and juice the standing water to kill everybody?

RonnieWooWoo! on
    Woo!
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Bloods End wrote:
    Majidah wrote:

Is this the current Electro or the Electro on crack? I'm guessing he can't muster quite that much power anymore, and lets not forget that water vapor in dense enough concentration is indistinguishable from water.

When fighting a fire on a submarine, for example, you have to use the firehose in burts, if you just continue hosing down a super hot fire the steam will accumulate so rapidly that it will actually burn the firefighters to death, or at least sear their lungs.

I think turning a firehose on Electro in an enclosed space would kill him one way or another - he is neither fire nor heat proof, and he needs to breathe.

Regina Fong on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It's a possible scenario, but it's complicated by the fact that anybody within eyeshot of Electro is likely to be subject to flaming bolts of electrical death.

Spectre-x on
    edited December 2006
    jeepguy wrote:
    Is this the current Electro or the Electro on crack? I'm guessing he can't muster quite that much power anymore
    Let's not forget that Electro's apparent depowering occurred offscreen and there's no real way to tell what, if any, abilities he truly lost.

And that any scenario where Mystique wins is matched by countless more where she loses.

robosagogo on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    jeepguy wrote:
    Bloods End wrote:
    Majidah wrote:

Is this the current Electro or the Electro on crack? I'm guessing he can't muster quite that much power anymore, and lets not forget that water vapor in dense enough concentration is indistinguishable from water.

When fighting a fire on a submarine, for example, you have to use the firehose in burts, if you just continue hosing down a super hot fire the steam will accumulate so rapidly that it will actually burn the firefighters to death, or at least sear their lungs.

I think turning a firehose on Electro in an enclosed space would kill him one way or another - he is neither fire nor heat proof, and he needs to breathe.

Couldn't he release the steam by blowing big holes in the building?

Bloods End on
    edited December 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    It's a possible scenario, but it's complicated by the fact that anybody within eyeshot of Electro is likely to be subject to flaming bolts of electrical death.

You DC kids get such hard-ons for 1337 powers and overlook sneaky, cunning, ruthless types so easily.

You know, I talked about Mystique killing Electro with an explosion and I just realized the perfectly obvious way that she'll do it, which Electro wouldn't even see coming.

Sprinkler system: Check

Electro protects himself with an electrical shield that either vaporizes the water (he'll eventually be soaked from the water vapor) or electrolysises it into lots of O and H.

And then he fucking explodes. Or burns. Whatever.

This, by the way, is exactly what happens if you try to put out a magnesium fire with a firehose. You get lots of hydrogen and oxygen and burning magnesium and then everything dies.

As a matter of fact, I think electrolysis is the more likely result from Electro's water defense than steam. Either way Mystique will use it to kill him.

Regina Fong on
    edited December 2006
    Bloods End wrote:
    jeepguy wrote:
    Bloods End wrote:
    Majidah wrote:

Couldn't he release the steam by blowing big holes in the building?

He'd still be wet from the steam, and short-circuit himself.

As to Electro's depowering, it's a matter of cannon and quite moot.

You might as well have been arguing that Spider-Man "never really lost the cosmic power" in the hero tourney, that's how badly robo's flailing.

Regina Fong on
    edited December 2006
    Jeepguy, I am not a DC kid. I picked several Marvel characters over DC guys.

Spectre-x on
    edited December 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Jeepguy, I am not a DC kid. I picked several Marvel characters over DC guys.

Wait, was it Planetary you had a hard-on for in the hero tournament? I can't recall.

At any rate, you give way more weight to raw power than comic book writers ever have.

Regina Fong on
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    jeepguy wrote:
    Is this the current Electro or the Electro on crack? I'm guessing he can't muster quite that much power anymore
    Let's not forget that Electro's apparent depowering occurred offscreen and there's no real way to tell what, if any, abilities he truly lost.

And that any scenario where Mystique wins is matched by countless more where she loses.

Not that I really care about this match at all, but the only situation that you guys have presented is "Electro kills everybody". Not that it isn't valid, but, it's hardley countless.

And wouldn't a Pentagon in the MU be stocked to the gills with plastic weapons? Since normal firearms are kinda useless against Mr. "Hurr Hurr I took over New york and was drug addicted but it wasn't really me it was Xorn hur".

And since she has intimate knowledge of said building and security measures, couldn't she just, you know, Black out the whole place and stab him in the neck?

Also, I'm not quite sure on this, but, dosen't Mystique generate her clothing with her power, and it imitate's it's said properties? All she needs to do is shapeshift a suit of rubber(If they don't already have one there) And, go for the stabby stabby in the neck?

Now, mind you, I spent 0 amount of time thinking this out, since I don't care, but, at least it's somthing to discuss...

Transporter on
    edited December 2006
    That's a good point...I doubt she'd be able to shift up a perfect insulator, but she could probably make her whole skin at least somewhat insulated.

Scooter on
  • GoodCitizenGoodCitizen Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I think people are giving electro too much credit. The guy is a moron. His powers may work at lightning speed but his brain certainly does not. If Mystique turned on the fire sprinklers, Electro would probably be ankle deep before he could think of a way to counteract it. I'm assuming that the 'depowering' that occured put him somewhere around his usual power level. In that case, even if he thought to vaporize incoming water, he'd run out his energy stores pretty damn quickly.

I also think everyone is underestimating the pentagon. If they see an electrical guy siphoning energy and blowing stuff up, they will cut off the power he needs. Electro probably would have been able to work around things like that if he had time to plan his attack, but he'll be constantly smothered in people trying to kill him, vaporizing water from the sprinklers, and trying to find out a new way to get juice after they cut off power to the building.

Can he vaporize every single person in the pentagon before he runs out of power under those conditions? If theres one single person left alive when he runs out of power, you can bet it'll be mystique... thats just her style. He'll run out of juice before wasting everyone, fall to his knees in exhaustion, and then Mystique will put a bullet between his eyes.

Besides, I've never heard of Electro killing that many people. That much killing will screw up his (already pathetic)mental state and throw him off his (practically non-existant)game.

GoodCitizen on
    Benjamin Franklin used foil covered window glass to create a capacitor. He then attempted to kill a turkey with the stored charge. Instead, he knocked himself out. Franklin later wrote, "I tried to kill a turkey but nearly succeeded in killing a goose."
    edited December 2006
    Mystique isn't Metamorpho, guys. She can make he skin look like clothes, but it's still skin.

robosagogo on
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Mystique isn't Metamorpho, guys. She can make he skin look like clothes, but it's still skin.

Well, the fact that it feels and acts like clothing means it probably takes on at least some aspects of the material she's imitating. Skin can't do that, after all.

Like I said, it might not be great insulation but the possibility exists.

Scooter on
    edited December 2006
    I think people are giving electro too much credit. The guy is a moron. His powers may work at lightning speed but his brain certainly does not. If Mystique turned on the fire sprinklers, Electro would probably be ankle deep before he could think of a way to counteract it. I'm assuming that the 'depowering' that occured put him somewhere around his usual power level. In that case, even if he thought to vaporize incoming water, he'd run out his energy stores pretty damn quickly.

I also think everyone is underestimating the pentagon. If they see an electrical guy siphoning energy and blowing stuff up, they will cut off the power he needs. Electro probably would have been able to work around things like that if he had time to plan his attack, but he'll be constantly smothered in people trying to kill him, vaporizing water from the sprinklers, and trying to find out a new way to get juice after they cut off power to the building.

Can he vaporize every single person in the pentagon before he runs out of power under those conditions? If theres one single person left alive when he runs out of power, you can bet it'll be mystique... thats just her style. He'll run out of juice before wasting everyone, fall to his knees in exhaustion, and then Mystique will put a bullet between his eyes.

Besides, I've never heard of Electro killing that many people. That much killing will screw up his (already pathetic)mental state and throw him off his (practically non-existant)game.

Electro's mental state pretty much prevents him from caring about the lives of innocents.

And the whole Pentagon offers many, mnay opportunities to recharge himself. The place is full of electricity.

Spectre-x on
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    In the Marvel universe, the Pentagon would be one of the biggest targets in the world for super-powered terrorists and megalomaniacs. I can't really accept the idea that Electro would wipe it out as easily as some of you guys claim.

If there were defenses as strong as what most people are suggesting, they'll be geared towards mutants and, specifically, known mutant terrorists like Mystique. She'd go down in a second.

They'd be less likely to account for Electro who has never shown any aspirations for world domination and never even leaves New York.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Pentagon Official: "Well, he's never attacked us before, so even though he can apparently wipe us out without breaking a sweat we shouldn't worry about him. Also, I think we can safely assume that noone else will ever have these powers. But make sure we have defenses specifically designed for mutants. Don't bother with anything that might provide general defensive measures against unknown threats."

:roll:

CyberJackal on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

Well, the fact that it feels and acts like clothing means it probably takes on at least some aspects of the material she's imitating. Skin can't do that, after all.

She immitated Wolverine's claws in one issue I read. Stabbed Kitty Pryde in the back IRC. So she can at the very least approximate other material.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited December 2006
    Malkor wrote:
    Scooter wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

She immitated Wolverine's claws in one issue I read. Stabbed Kitty Pryde in the back IRC. So she can at the very least approximate other material.

Hell, wiki says she might have made guns at one point (it was ambiguous though, and she may have molded real guns into her body to conceal them).

Regina Fong on
    edited December 2006
    The claws she made weren't adamantium. Most likely they were simply bone claws, but colored and styled to appear like Adamantium.

She can make a pouch in her stomach where she can hide guns. As for making a gun out of thin air, that was just lack of knowledge on the part of a writer.

robosagogo on
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    The claws she made weren't adamantium. Most likely they were simply bone claws, but colored and styled to appear like Adamantium.

She can make a pouch in her stomach where she can hide guns. As for making a gun out of thin air, that was just lack of knowledge on the part of a writer.

You are the fucking master of cognitive dissonance.

Mystique's possibly pulling guns out of her body is "writer error"

But Electro's documented depowering after he got dumped in the Hudson River at full charge and blew up is "ambiguous" and "we can't really know for sure if his powers were reduced".

:lol:

Regina Fong on
    edited December 2006
    jeepguy wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

But Electro's documented depowering after he got dumped in the Hudson River at full charge and blew up is "ambiguous" and "we can't really know for sure if his powers were reduced".

His depowering wasn't documented. The next writer to cover him simply decided to ignore prior events, leaving readers to simply assume that something had happened in the interim. What exactly happened, if anything, and what effect that happened to have on him, if anything, is completely open and ambiguous since there is literally nothing to go on in terms of discussion of the topic.

Really, it's not that different from Mystique's ability to go 2-D and glide, which you referenced. She gained that ability, along with a change in appearance that made her resemble Mystique from the movies, after she was powered up. Now that she appears in current comics without a reptilian appearance, are we meant to assume that she's lost the ability to go 2-D as well even though none of her writers ever covered a depowering either?

robosagogo on
    edited December 2006
    In the mid-2000s, Electro was working with the Vulture (as well as questioning his own sexuality [1] ) when they were attacked by Spider-Man, who thought they had kidnapped his Aunt May. Electro managed to bring Spider-Man to the edge of defeat, using his powers in more intelligent ways and blowing up a large number of cars, including some with children in them.

Also, for those saying Electro won't kill everybody, apparently he's killed a bunch of kids.

robosagogo on
  • NinjaSquirrelNinjaSquirrel Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    In the mid-2000s, Electro was working with the Vulture (as well as questioning his own sexuality [1] ) when they were attacked by Spider-Man, who thought they had kidnapped his Aunt May. Electro managed to bring Spider-Man to the edge of defeat, using his powers in more intelligent ways and blowing up a large number of cars, including some with children in them.

Also, for those saying Electro won't kill everybody, apparently he's killed a bunch of kids.
    Not to mention this is a danger room-esque setting. They aren't actual people, the only real person in there that he has to worry about killing is Mystique. My guess is he won't mind.

NinjaSquirrel on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    jeepguy wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

It could be because
    and [Electro] could overcome his old weakness to water by using the electromagnetic fields around him to vaporize water before it could touch him.

Granted falling into a river won't exactly be vaporized away, but can't he FLY?

Anyway, the sprinklers won't be too hard to vaporize in this way.
    It would probably kill Mystique as well. Especially if she's having electricity hurled at her constantly(The one trying their hardest to kill you with water instead of guns is PROBABLY the one who spent all day looking you up on Wikipedia.)

The Muffin Man on
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    jeepguy wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

His depowering wasn't documented. The next writer to cover him simply decided to ignore prior events, leaving readers to simply assume that something had happened in the interim. What exactly happened, if anything, and what effect that happened to have on him, if anything, is completely open and ambiguous since there is literally nothing to go on in terms of discussion of the topic.

Really, it's not that different from Mystique's ability to go 2-D and glide, which you referenced. She gained that ability, along with a change in appearance that made her resemble Mystique from the movies, after she was powered up. Now that she appears in current comics without a reptilian appearance, are we meant to assume that she's lost the ability to go 2-D as well even though none of her writers ever covered a depowering either?

There is plenty of precedent in the MU for characters to lose their powers, or a portion of their powers after they explode.

-edit-

At Muffin Man: You must have missed my explanation of why vaporizing large ammounts of water in an enclosed area won't keep you from getting wet for very long, and may in fact burn you to death.

Regina Fong on