As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MotW 08/05/09 This is a Job for Superman!

2»

• Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh yeah...that sounds familar, in real history terms. Paying for a swift death.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm actually a bit confused about Secret Six and Jeanette.
    So is Jeanette the Silver Banshee that's fought Superman a few times, or is she another Banshee or what?

Zaylenz on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    a different one.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    God, the end of World of New Krypton was perfect.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Really, nothing spectacular happened in Cap Reborn #2, but I still loved that book more than anything else that I got this week. Ghost Rider was really good, too. Still have Absolution, Irredeemable, and Hangman to read tonight.

Hensler on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    War of Kings. I like what D&A have done with the "Cosmic" line in general, and
    a hole in space/time opens up a crazy amount of story possibilities. Also, I'm 99% sure that Black Bolt was given the Space Gem, so you know that's going to come up at some point.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm actually fairly confident that the Illuminati having the Infinity Gems is never going to come up again at any point.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    To be fair about the lack of info on the Infinity Gems front, each Illuminati member swore to NEVER use them again and keep them all safely hidden away.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Just finished reading the new Black Panther and I really want to reccomend the book to all of you. The first six issues of this relaunch were pretty weak, but this month's issue (#7) saw one of my favorite fiction novelists, Jonathan Maberry, take over writing duties. And it was a damn good book. This is one of the better Black Panther books around, and everybody should give the new run a shot.

Hensler on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    What is the current direction of Panther, anyway? Did they ever tie up the whole new Black Panther thing? I haven't followed it whatsoever.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Is it a totally new arc? What's this arc about?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    In regards to Cap Reborn #2, was Hitch the artist through the whole issue or did Guice start drawing part of it?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Guice is the inker and backup artist to ensure it comes out on time.

Also, the best thing about Cry for Justice was the Blackhawks reference. That makes me even more eager for that pulp revival project to come out.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I never knew the Blackhawk origin of the first team (the second one was around for 5 minutes during Our Worlds at War), but that is a pretty cool setup. Polish Pilots Protecting the Perpetually Blue Planet.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Why were Mikaal and Congorilla fighting anyway? Was it really as random and pointless as the preview made it seem?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Starman got there first, then Congorilla showed up and Mikaal thought he was Grodd.

Grodd, giving talking apes a bad name since forever.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    When I first saw the previews for Call For Justice, I was totally wondering why the fuck Grodd was on the team.

Hensler on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I never knew the Blackhawk origin of the first team (the second one was around for 5 minutes during Our Worlds at War), but that is a pretty cool setup. Polish Pilots Protecting the Perpetually Blue Planet.

You might wanna keep an eye out for an upcoming issue of The Brave And The Bold. It has the Flash teaming up with the Blackhawks.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just read Cry For Justice #2 last night. It did have one pretty awesome moment:
    A giant golden ape flying an airplane.

However, I was also a bit confused by a part. Why the hell would Batman need a private investigator? Isn't Batman "the world's greatest detective"? I've never heard of this character before, ever.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    He's one of Robinson's pet characters (I think he was introduced during "Face the Face").

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    What is the current direction of Panther, anyway? Did they ever tie up the whole new Black Panther thing? I haven't followed it whatsoever.

New BP is T'Challa's sister Shuri, who lured Morlun into a trap wherein he was transported to "the other side" and the Grim Reaper (I guess that's what he was) allowed T'Challa and Storm to return to life. I have not gotten the latest issue, but I feel heartened by Hensler's endorsement. The first arc of this volume was way too decompressed and could've been done in half the number of issues.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    He's one of Robinson's pet characters (I think he was introduced during "Face the Face").

I didn't read the issue, but I'm going to assume you're talking about Jason Bard. He's actually been around for a long time, and used to pal around with Barbara Gordon over in Birds of Prey, before re-surfacing in Face the Face.

As for why Batman might need a private detective, he was just one of Bruce's many operatives in Gotham, and would do the kind of legwork that Batman might be incapable of, or too busy for.

Munch on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Munch wrote: »

I didn't read the issue, but I'm going to assume you're talking about Jason Bard. He's actually been around for a long time, and used to pal around with Barbara Gordon over in Birds of Prey, before re-surfacing in Face the Face.

As for why Batman might need a private detective, he was just one of Bruce's many operatives in Gotham, and would do the kind of legwork that Batman might be incapable of, or too busy for.

That's low Munch. Making fun of a cripple. Whats wrong with you, boy?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Did anyone pick up the new Doom Patrol? I'm not sure what to think. I like Giffen (or, at least, I want to like Giffen), but I wasn't all that impressed with his take on Doom Patrol. This is possibly because Morrison's run on the book is one of my most favorite things ever, and is almost certainly my favorite Morrison work (because I'm too dumb to "get" the Invisibles, or whatever), so I'm not crazy about this more down-to-earth version. At the same time, they pretty much ensured that I'm going to pick up the book next month with that little hook on the last page, saying that
    the black hole accidentally produced by the DC analogue of the Large Hadron Collider is disobeying the laws of physics, and isn't consuming Earth in a microsecond, because it wants to negotiate terms.

Also, what do we think about the Metal Men back-up in there? Will Magnus was probably my favorite character in 52, but good lord are the Metal Men - as depicted in this back-up - obnoxious. All of them. I hate them.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, I loved that last line in DP.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Matt Fraction really likes the Mountain Goats, and him swiping a line and using it in Iron Man was pretty cool.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Bloods End wrote: »
    That's low Munch. Making fun of a cripple. Whats wrong with you, boy?

Well played sir.
    Delduwath wrote:
    Also, what do we think about the Metal Men back-up in there? Will Magnus was probably my favorite character in 52, but good lord are the Metal Men - as depicted in this back-up - obnoxious. All of them. I hate them.

You've got to remember, all the Metal Men's personalities are defined by the type of metal they're composed of, so they're all going to naturally have extreme personalities. Add that to Giffen and DeMatteis' signature dialogue style, where everyone's constantly firing snark back and forth, and I can see how it might be annoying. But as a fan of the JLI/Superbuddies comics, which had a very similar style, I loved it. So much so that I wish it was the main feature, and Doom Patrol was the back-up. Of course, that would preclude Kevin Maguire from doing the art, which would take away a significant portion of the fun.

My only real problem with the back-up was that the creative team opted not to include the new Metal Woman, Copper, that Duncan Rouleau introduced in his mini-series. Kind of a shame, since I thought she was a neat little addition.

Here are some of my favorite bits from Doom Patrol and Metal Men.
    DoomPatrol1-1.jpg
    I'm glad Giffen's keeping some of the Geoff Johns/Infinite Crisis Doom Patrol members around. Though I have to wonder where Vox is, when his wife's living in a doll house in Elasti-Woman's room.

MetalMen1-1.jpg
    I was pretty much sold on the team with this one page.

Absolution #1 by Christos Gage (W) and Roberto Viacava (A) came out this week, following the bargain-priced issue #0 teaser that debuted some months ago. Based in a universe where superpowered individuals are relatively commonplace, with superheroes serving as another branch of law enforcement, it stars John Dusk, a police officer with the ability to manipulate a wispy blue aura, with various effects.

The story itself is built around the idea that, while other law enforcement officers that deal with particularly affecting cases, like those assigned to the SVU, are forced to transfer after just a few years, superpowered officers, due to their scarcity, aren't afforded that luxury. John Dusk, who has been serving for eight years, and has witnessed everything from super-nazis detaining sex slaves in a seedy apartment, to Killer Croc-like mutants feeding on the remains of children, finally has a breakdown and begins murdering criminals who have managed to skirt the law.

It's not a new concept, and it's not one I'd typically be drawn to, but I do find the idea of examining the actual mental stress of seeing supervillain fallout, combined with the street-level setting, pretty interesting. Add in former Law and Order writer Chris Gage's experience writing crime procedurals, and I'm in for at least a few issues.

This scan is probably NSFW
    Here John Dusk, after already having a shitty day, arrives at a routine domestic disturbance, and finds a husband who has beaten his wife to death.
    Absolution1-1.jpg
    I think what has me most interested in the story is that you just know Dusk is set to go down a perilous path, and is only going to get in deeper and deeper, until he's eventually found out. It's kind of got a superpowered Dexter-meets-The Shield thing going on.

Secret Six #12 by Gail Simone (W) and Nicola Scott (P) continues to impress. Really, if you're not reading one of the most critically acclaimed books on the stand right now, I don't know what to say to convince you.
    Here Wonder Woman has been brought low by Secret Sixer Jeanette, while attempting to free her captured fellow Amazon, Artemis. Catman, Deadshot, and Ragdoll all decide to stay and hand Wonder Woman over to the sadist they're currently employed by, while Scandal, Jeanette, and Bane abscond with Artemis. But first, Bane has some choice words regarding Diana.
    SecretSix12-2.jpg

Oooooooh. Luckily, Ragdoll decides to break the tension.

SecretSix12-1.jpg

Irredeemable #5 by Mark Waid (W) and Peter Krause (A), continues to be a bit below par for Waid, especially given last issue, which I felt had a significant climb in quality, but it's still okay, and I'm going to stick it out for at least the first year. Plus, this issue was only 99 cents, so that's nice.

This issue primarily followed the superhero Volt, a black man who's constantly perturbed by people stereotyping him, or mistaking him for one of the other black superheroes with electric powers. I did find his perspective interesting though, as he, like the hero-turned-villain Plutonian, was often maligned by the public, including the people he saved, but he held true to his morals, and didn't just throw a superpowered hissy fit. I thought it was an interesting little layer to his story.

Irredeemable5-1.jpg

Agents of Atlas #9 by Jeff Parker (W) and Dan Panosian (P) is another one of those critically lauded books that you should already be reading. This issue kicked off a new arc, with the Agents gunning for team leader Jimmy Woo's former paramour, and current leader of the Great Wall crime syndicate, after Jimmy's ambushed while deep within the bowels of their secret base. There were some nifty highlights this issue, including a standoff between the always stoic M-11, and a newer model of killer robot, and a few pages of the Gorilla Man killing mutants that crawled right out of The Hills Have Eyes. But this moment was easily my favorite.
    AgentsofAtlas9-1.jpg

Deadpool: Merc With a Mouth #2 by Victor Gischler (W) and Bong Dazo [who was apparently named by George Lucas] (P) was surprisingly good, focusing on Deadpool trying to retrieve Headpool, his own zombified head from another universe. It's basically just big, dumb, well-illustrated fun, as Deadpool runs afoul of Hydra, AIM, and Savage Land mutates while trying to deliver Headpool to his employers.
    DeadpoolMWM1-1.jpg
    Beating someone with your own arm is hardly a new, funny trick in comics, and I love that Headpool is so cognizant of that.

Exiles #5 by Jeff Parker (W) and Casey Jones (P) saw the Exiles finish their mission in a world overrun by robots. I thought this arc was weaker than the first, but Parker's dialogue and clever twists still made it worth reading. Of course, now it's canceled. Oh well.

Exiles5-1.jpg

And finally, Zodiac #2 by Joe Casey (W) and Nathan Fox (A) arrived this week. It follows an enterprising young anarchist supervillain, dead set on bedeviling both Norman Osborn, and the superheroes of the Marvel U. To this end, he recruits a few C-list supervillains who share his oldschool mentality, and beats Johnny Storm near to death, and murders one hundred HAMMER agents. This issue presents his encore.

These scans are probably NSFW
    This is the scene I mentioned earlier, that I was surprised made it into a mainstream Marvel title.
    Zodiac2-1.jpg

Zodiac2-2.jpg

His explosives then drop a hospital on top of Sue and Johnny Storm, Hank Pym, and Clint Barton. Following that, he hacks into HAMMER's computers, setting off the alarm that signals Galactus' arrival on Earth. Of course, Zodiac can't actually get Galactus to attack Earth, nor would he really want to I imagine, but he does get the next best thing.

Zodiac2-3.jpg

The Godzilla-fightin' giant samurai robot, RED RONIN!

Munch on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, I loved that Absolution book, and that page in particular. I really like the way they are handling the meta's as being just another group of cops. And after serving in combat and having to go through all the classes and reorientation after coming home, I really like the idea of someone exploring its effects on a street level super hero. It had the usual shock value stuff you expect from Avatar books, but I'm putting Absolution on my pull list.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Deadpool is always a good read, has been for a good while, regular, zombie or Merc with a Mouth.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Oh man, Punisher Max.

You didn't take that axe serious did you? Thats just an attention getter. Man like you and a woman like me? We can think of better things to do than bloody each other up.

Not even with a rented dick.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    Delduwath wrote:

You've got to remember, all the Metal Men's personalities are defined by the type of metal they're composed of, so they're all going to naturally have extreme personalities. Add that to Giffen and DeMatteis' signature dialogue style, where everyone's constantly firing snark back and forth, and I can see how it might be annoying.

Yeah, I mean, I understand why they're basically avatars of emotions (quick story pitch: Metal Men get power rings - but each one belongs to a different Corps! Hijinx ensues), but...well, I guess I just don't like avatars of emotions.
    My only real problem with the back-up was that the creative team opted not to include the new Metal Woman, Copper, that Duncan Rouleau introduced in his mini-series. Kind of a shame, since I thought she was a neat little addition.

I see what you did there, sir, and I like it.
    Here are some of my favorite bits from [...] Metal Men.
    MetalMen1-1.jpg
    I was pretty much sold on the team with this one page.

Not gonna lie, that was awesome.

P.S. Tina is the Jocasta to Magnus's Pym.

Delduwath on