As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WAR] Now With HDR & Bloom on PTS! Comparison Screens on p82!

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    Scenarios were better. Open RvR was just huge masses of people that rendered you spamming one move or just chain rezzing people. It was dull, cramped and you felt worthless. I'm sure there was some fun outskilling the masses with a small group, but you could only hold so long against the giant, roaming zerg.

The game needed to be more on a micro level. Excise PvE. It sucked and they should feel bad for having it. Enough with the giant campaign. Have numerous areas of interest peppered throughout the zones and various quests for them. Guilds may want to fight over a mine for resources. Individual players may need to capture small areas for a quest.

By having more zones that have a smaller impact, you keep things more open.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Arkady wrote: »
    Dis wrote: »
    Biggest weakness of WAR = No Cross Server Scenarios
    People had been whining for it since game launch.

No, the biggest weakness of War is that keep sieges were fucking awful. Two bored lines of guys sniping at the dumb people who enter the DMZ for an hour or 2 until the raid breaks up while all the melees stand around with thumbs up their asses. That or a complete steamroll over the 4 guys who bothered to defend. That was every single keep siege I took part in in War. Every single one. If you were lucky you could get into the keep where you would get trashed by a tank wall guarding the only ramp and 7 or 8 people piling on the AE spam.

As I understand it some of this has been addressed, but not until something like a year after launch, far too late to do any good. It certainly didn't help that the scenario maps in t2 and t3 were summarily awful.

Exactly this. The game was supposed to succeed by being Warhammer themed DAoC. Instead of improving DAoC, though, they managed to make it worse.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Scenarios should have been dumped altogether, or made completely inconsequential RP/XP wise, just to stop people from complaining about crossing servers.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    At the rate things are going, they won't need cross-server scenarios.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Maybe making it free to play with micro transaction like DDO will save this game.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My main problem with WAR was that endgame was too dependent on other people showing up. And I don't mean 10 people in your group, but you needed enemy side to show up. Unless you got to fight other people, you just grinded really boring castle and BO takes. Considering that for a long time not showing up to a fight was a pretty good zone defense, level 40 was rather boring.

I played WAR for six months, but quit after my first city fight. I hoped for something fun, but after long (and laggy) fortress take, all I got was very buggy PQ. Initially both factions showed up in the PQ, but the outnumbered side quickly left. In the end, "city siege" consisted of several PQ's, but each PQ was full of people from one side. Also, my PQ was buggy, and we never managed to finish it, even though we only fought NPC's. After the city take, I never logged into WAR again.

JohanFlick on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

No, the biggest weakness of War is that keep sieges were fucking awful. Two bored lines of guys sniping at the dumb people who enter the DMZ for an hour or 2 until the raid breaks up while all the melees stand around with thumbs up their asses. That or a complete steamroll over the 4 guys who bothered to defend. That was every single keep siege I took part in in War. Every single one. If you were lucky you could get into the keep where you would get trashed by a tank wall guarding the only ramp and 7 or 8 people piling on the AE spam.

As I understand it some of this has been addressed, but not until something like a year after launch, far too late to do any good. It certainly didn't help that the scenario maps in t2 and t3 were summarily awful.

Exactly this. The game was supposed to succeed by being Warhammer themed DAoC. Instead of improving DAoC, though, they managed to make it worse.

The 2 faction shit was pretty much the entirety of it. As soon as one faction started winning, they other was never to be seen.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Two factions were definitely an issue. But I think having a lase-guided focus for an objective was equally bad.

There never should have been a real "goal" beyond fucking the other side. Burn their towns, steal their riches and so forth. People should have been pulled in multiple directions to give it more of a world feeling rather than being locusts descending upon a laundry lists of forts and BOs.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Not only did they make it worse, but they repeated a number of mistakes that they already found and fixed with DAOC.

Shens on
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What I think would have helped (bias'd opinion here, I played a witch elf and a witch hunter) would have been renown gains for keep defense and assault being pvp area wide. That way I could have wandered around between our keep and their respawn and tried to kill reinforcements/respawns without missing out on all the crazy influence gains you'd get for standing around doing nothing as long as you were in the keep. Yeah, lamers would have just afk'd in the zone but at least melee would have something important to do that wouldn't punish them for doing it.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wars best option at this point, before they merge down to 2 servers (which is likely coming) would be to take their combat and careers department, lock them in a room, and tell them the "separate but equal" shit is done and the classes are going to be true mirrors. The black orc and swordmasters are going to have the same abilities that do the same type of damage, the same tactics, the same trees, the same buffs, everything. Their mechanics will now work the same. Take the best, most liked abilities from both classes and keep the ones that work, toss the rest. Same with Blackguard and Ironbreaker, Magus and Engineer, BW and Sorc, Chosen and KoTBS, WE and WH, Archmage and Shaman. For the 4 "lawl sort of mirrors" you do the best you can but you make damn sure the SH, SW, marauder, and White lion are as freaking close as possible.

This PVE in my PVP shit sucks. Lets not get into order able to farm the destro king with unwarded alts. Lets just take the fact that unless you bring a HUGE zerg big enough to open enough instances most city pushes can have 3-4 winning instances, and fail due to local uberguild building a warband, and fishing through instances until they find one populated by pugs, jump in, roll them a time or two, and completely stop a city push.

The entire p2 part of the city needs to be removed and rolled into p1. Once you are in the city you now have 3 more brackets. RR ranks 40-59 fight it out for invader, 60-69 fight for warlord, 70-80 fight for sovereign. The 40-59 bracket would be in the current city, only instead of 3 flags to fight over move it to 5 with only 3 active. This would randomly change everytime the pq flipped. The hero and champs would have their damage and health gutted so they could be killed by a coordinated group while everyone else fought back the other side. Moreover they would spawn at one of the contested points, and not right near someones spawn.

The Warlord bracket would consist of the respective temples being raided, and the Sovereign instance would be in the various palaces. RR is already a big enough cock block drop rate on gear does not need to be.

Detharin on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'd just be happy if MDPS wasn't useless as all hell after T2. Can't believe I'd been gone almost a year and they still haven't fixed that shit.

Glal on
  • Options
    licwidcakelicwidcake Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just started my account up again after about a year long absence and realized I don't have any idea how to play my sorceress anymore. I just hit level 20 and have a clean slate as far as mastery and whatnot is concerned. Can anyone give me a few tips? At this point even reroll ____ is a viable suggestion.

licwidcake on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Malkor wrote: »
    Are those dudes still active on WAR, they were fun.

Less so than once upon a time but Paca is in the driver seat now and there's quite a few regulars still around like Zhrek, Samia, Joostin and Wakpak. There seems to be quite a few new faces as well.

Oh they are still playing?
    Tempting...

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    i still log on stoned as the dickens and looking to brawl with my melee shadow warrior

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    1600Points1600Points Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man the recent RVR weapons patch has really brought out the pain on Iron Rock for Destruction. Prior to the patch we were able to push Altdorf every so often, now it seems like we can't even get a couple of zones flipped. Especially now with the scenario change making it so Order premades have such a strong percentage in scenarios.

Yeesh

1600Points on
    Steam ID - 1600Points
    Xbox Live - Doctor Xedd
    Gametap - RIbar77
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Malkor wrote: »
    Are those dudes still active on WAR, they were fun.

Less so than once upon a time but Paca is in the driver seat now and there's quite a few regulars still around like Zhrek, Samia, Joostin and Wakpak. There seems to be quite a few new faces as well.

Oh they are still playing?
    Tempting...

If you've got the time I'm sure I can get ya in. It's definately nowhere near the numbers Schism once had but we're in an alliance that is comprised of some of the most active guilds on Iron Rock Destro so it's usually not hard to find some people to play with in my experience.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So, when this thread dies is anyone going to even bother making a new one? I think Sushi should be in charge of it.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I almost want to go back to playing, but all my chars are in T4, and I don't really feel like forcing myself through lower tier quests or pvp...

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    GinsaneGinsane Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I... just came back as a Squig Herder. Level 12 now. T2 is lonely... lonely like this thread...thread...thread...thread... (that's an echo.)
    Panting is my name. On Iron Rock. Cause, you know, there are only four servers now.

Ginsane on
    Live!: Burnout Cowboy - DS: Too many.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Kinda tempted to play a bit of T1 for kicks. I dunno if there's any way to stop the bleeding if they can't dazzle with some flashy new addition. A lot of very low-key balance stuff won't bring back players without some fancy new stuff to draw attention.

They could try a freemium model like DDO and hope for a miracle.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    YoYoYoYo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I signed back up a couple weeks ago... The thing is, it is what it is. If you can enjoy it for that - then its greatness. I really like playing SCs through an evening and making progression (RPs and emblems) doing that. It has many issues, many balance problems... but being on the receiving end of that (I've 40 Shadow Warrior and 40 Magus - the 2 gimpest classes) - there is a great joy in taking out the top classes (and the RPs are generally good as well).

YoYo on
  • Options
    1600Points1600Points Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Finally nerfing BW's and Sorcs. Huzzah.

1600Points on
    Steam ID - 1600Points
    Xbox Live - Doctor Xedd
    Gametap - RIbar77
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Just in time! .... :?

Shens on
  • Options
    TagTag Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Heh my brother forced me to rejoin, been having fun as a Zealot on Iron Rock. I have to say, the game seems a lot smoother since the last time I was around. Large (for T1) RvR was mostly lag free and even the old quirks of the PvE NPCs seem mostly fixed. Shame it wasn't like this at launch (or maybe it was just overwhelmed). Also liking the token system for sets.

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Have they fixed the input lag and/or lack of feedback?

Last time I picked up WAR it was still pretty bad. I mean, I want to like the game, I really do.

Oats on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oats wrote: »
    Have they fixed the input lag and/or lack of feedback?

Last time I picked up WAR it was still pretty bad. I mean, I want to like the game, I really do.

Well T1 is free, even for old accounts, I would test it out. I found the UI to be fairly responsive with the exception of the range checker (and after I reinstalled Squared, the API apparently still doesn't allow addons to use the range checker anyway).

Tag on
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The irony is nerfing BW/Sorc at this point is only going to lose them more people. It won't bring people BACK, and if somebody hasn't left over 'oh no BW are so OP' by now, I doubt they care.

I mean if it was done over a year ago, maybe? Now, not so much.

Astale on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    By responsive I hope it means that, when I press a button that says I'm in range it does that move. Not give me a range error and put the move on cooldown regardless. That really made being melee all the better!

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    By responsive I hope it means that, when I press a button that says I'm in range it does that move. Not give me a range error and put the move on cooldown regardless. That really made being melee all the better!

Or not do the move, put it on cooldown then tell me I'm stunned five seconds later.

Oats on
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i'll have to see if the new baby will allow me time to play, i might try playing agian. i got a 40 magus (leveled because i'm a masochist and there were like, 4 active magus at the time) and a 14 sham, 14 Blork, 11 BG.

the game was hella fun until i got to t4, then it was run with the zerg or get zerged. i'll have to go to the forums and see whats up for magus. i quit right when tomb of the vulture lord or whatever went live.

EDIT:
    SC weapons? i totally missed this, you buy them with the emblems? are they any good?

Feldorn on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Feldorn wrote: »
    EDIT:
    SC weapons? i totally missed this, you buy them with the emblems? are they any good?

They are pretty fantastic, yes.

Tag on
  • Options
    HiravaxisHiravaxis Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Feldorn wrote: »
    i'll have to see if the new baby will allow me time to play, i might try playing agian.
    I found that for the first few months the baby sleeps so much that you can play. Afterwards, it's more likley that you'll need to wait for their bedtime before you can play.

From one gaming parent to another. :)

Hiravaxis on
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    that seems reasonable...

i might load this up this weekend some time, see about playing magus and my black ork. i dunno. i was playing around with runes of magic too, since i might get in trouble if i buy a subscription to this D: what with a fresh baby and all.

Feldorn on
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well if anyone is feeling generous, and thinking about coming back, toss me a PM and ill hook you up with a trial. You know you want me to have a manticore. Also if anyone has any questions just send a tell to Detharen on IR destro side.

Detharin on
  • Options
    eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    you guys do realize i am far too lazy to make another thread, right?

see you in wh40k online!

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    1600Points wrote: »
    Finally nerfing BW's and Sorcs. Huzzah.

It's truly insane that this is just happening now.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Actually the whole nerfing of the BWs might make me come back ... cept there's no more RP servers so that sucks.

Nyht on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Huh.

The game is way more polished, and the interface seems smooth.

How much action is there these days in T4?

Oats on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    This isn't the first time they've nerfed the classes. The problem is that they never go far enough or break something else in the process.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
This discussion has been closed.