As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Universal Health Care

Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I've had some discussions with peopw and while I'm all for UHC apparently it overlooks the elderly? Can someone break it down for me

sig-1.jpg
Penguin_Otaku on

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Have you tried this thread?

admanb on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    the elderly already have universal health care under Medicare. Incidentally, that means that about 30% of the US already have UHC.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    DarwinsFavoriteTortoiseDarwinsFavoriteTortoise Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    EggyToast wrote: »
    the elderly already have universal health care under Medicare. Incidentally, that means that about 30% of the US already have UHC.

No, its about 8.5%, not 30%. (Medicare covers roughly 35 million).

Medicare is a joke. 1.3 trillion dollars to cover 35 million people while France spends 1/5 of that on around 70 million people? Give me a break.

DarwinsFavoriteTortoise on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    EggyToast wrote: »

No, its about 8.5%, not 30%. (Medicare covers roughly 35 million).

Medicare is a joke. 1.3 trillion dollars to cover 35 million people while France spends 1/5 of that on around 70 million people? Give me a break.

It is worth pointing out that the people covered by medicare are those who are so risky to insure that private companies would never cover them at all. It's not exactly easy to keep costs down when, by design, the only people on your plan are those in age groups where they are pretty much garunteed to need expensive care.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My bad, it's that about 30% have a government plan already, not just Medicare.

But no, there are no plans to scrap Medicare under any proposed plan. In fact, those who are criticizing government-run healthcare are often, in the next breath, praising Medicare.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    See, the issue is that the elderly already have their healthcare, and they don't want anyone else to have it, because it might raise their taxes, and the elderly are a bunch of fucking douchebags. Really, I think the best solution to the healthcare crisis is to go Logan's Run on the Baby Boomers and the elderly. Should take care of most of our problems, not to mention the people that caused them.

In any case, there's already a D&D thread about this, and this will inevitably turn into one.

Thanatos on
This discussion has been closed.