As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ZoneAlarm and games problem

Locust76Locust76 Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm having a problem with ZoneAlarm and games.

When I attempt to play a game of Half-Life 2 over the internet, the game freezes at the "searching for internet games" screen. The game simply stops responding. I can't close it or terminate it's process through the task manager. Shutting down the system doesnt work either, because the program simply refuses to quit. I have to hit the reset button on my machine to reboot. I have hl2.exe approved for all traffic, local and internet, as well as server activities. The same happens for Dawn of War. I have W40k.exe approved, but I cannot connect to a direct join server.

I've looked and looked but I can't find any other options in ZoneAlarm. I can't find a way to approve specific ports for activity and I'm at a loss. How can I get these games to work through ZoneAlarm? Does ZoneAlarm Pro have more control over port activity?

Locust76 on

• Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Do the games work when you disable zonealarm?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Have you alt tabbed to see if there is the zone alarm popup there behind it.

Also put zone alarm into game mode and see if that works. It means your computer is not secure, but will at least tell you if the problem is with Zone Alarm

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    Locust76Locust76 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Do the games work when you disable zonealarm?

Yes they work just fine with ZoneAlarm unloaded, but I use the free version which has no "Game Mode" that I can see. I've been contemplating buying the full version, should I?

Locust76 on
  • Options
    ItsatrapItsatrap Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I haven't yet figured out whether ZA lets you open specific ports--I tend to just turn it off and let the router act as a hardware protection layer. Of course, not so useful if you're directly connected.

Itsatrap on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Zone Alarm has broken like half the computers I've seen it installed upon.

Doc on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I've been using Pro for quite a while and had no problems with it.

Every time I install a new game or update an old one, the "Is this ok?" thing pops up, but other than that it's worked really well for me, and has kept me from getting any weird viruses or other nonsense (I got banned from my ISP for a month a while back because something I couldn't even detect with my old stuff had gotten into my PC)

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Doc wrote:
    Zone Alarm has broken like half the computers I've seen it installed upon.

I always used to think that this was hyperbole, until I had an install of Zonealarm break. Turns out that once Zonealarm thinks it's been tampered with, no force on earth will remove it from the system.

I now don't use it because having to backup and reinstall your operating system because the firewall broke is ri-goddamned-diculous.

I'd say that if you're seriously considering buying Zonealarm Pro, buying yourself a firewall/modem/router would be a significantly better investment. It would give you more flexibility in terms of opening ports and such.

I use a 3Com Officeconnect, and I've heard good things about Linksys' WRT54G.

japan on