As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Motorcyclin' the country side

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The Icon Milspec Backpack
    I've seen this before and it's about the most rad thing ever. The shoulder harness bits are simply awesome. However! I don't want anything covering up my giant-ass A* pauldrons.
    and Alpinestars Tech Aero
    Problem solved!

IronKnuckle's Ghost on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I've been seriously considering selling my car and using the money to upgrade my bike and riding all year round.

My bike is a 2002 KZ1000P, with 64k on the odometer. Everything else on it is stock.

My car is a 1998 Honda Accord two door, and I could probably get close to 3 grand for it.

With that money, i would replace the front forks, new tires, new brakes, new coat of paint, take off the top box and add a passenger pillion and footpegs and invest in some quality rain gear and some mesh overwear.

I live in Northwest georgia, where it typicaly gets around 40 in the winter and 90's in the summer.

Anyone used a motorcycle as their sole method of transportation? Am I being crazy in even thinking about this?

Jokerman on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I can think of times where I was glad I have a car. Like groceries, heavy rainstorms, going anywhere with more than one person, etc.

I got my helmet back today. I don't think they did anything to it, the mounting plate still wobbles when I lift and close the visor. Which is what it was doing before it just popped off, which is why I had it RMA'd for repairs. :P

Houn on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Anyone used a motorcycle as their sole method of transportation? Am I being crazy in even thinking about this?

I used a bicycle as my sole transport for a couple of years, and rented cars on the odd occasions when I needed one. It has the added advantage that you can rent something only as big as you need, or as big as you need if you're buying furniture or something.

Whether that's economical for you depends how often you need a car and how much it would cost you to rent one.

japan on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    It's totally feasible to have a motorcycle as your only means of transportation... if your girlfriend has a car.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    xeroismygodxeroismygod Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Anyone in this thread think they can give me a hand? :? I'm trying to find a throttle cable that'll fit a Honda CM185T, and so far it's proving fucking impossible.

Try talking to MotionPro (http://www.motionpro.com/). I've been told they can do custom cables for pretty much the price of regular cables.

I agree, the guys down there are super helpful and the owner is one of the most stand up guys I have ever met.

xeroismygod on
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Just 1 more day of work and then its time for my vacation, hopefully with plenty of good weather and bike ridning.

Lind on
  • Options
    I need to get back on my bike. I feel myself withering away to nothing D:

• Options
    KasanagiKasanagi Registered User regular
    I hear that. I've been taking the car lately due to me being sick as a dog the past week or so, and I miss the bike already. I will probably hit the mountains tomorrow.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I might be getting a 69 Triumph Bonneville.

I have the biggest motobonner right now.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    An actual 1969 Triumph? Nice bike, but you can't be considering it as a daily driver... can you?

• Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    Speaking of old bikes, I've been considering getting a lightly restored Honda CB550 or CB500 as a first bike. It's a bit more than I was hoping to spend (I want a $1200 beater to start on but am having a hard time finding one that runs), but on the other hand it's not something I'm likely to trade in anytime soon.

What do you guys think of starting out with a vintage bike? I'm mechanically inclined but not experienced with motorcycles, if that makes a difference.

• Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    Do any of you chaps have any experience with heated hand grips? I'm getting geared up (quite early, but I'd rather not wait until it's cold) for the winter riding season, and could use some thoughts on them.

• Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    adytum wrote:
    Do any of you chaps have any experience with heated hand grips? I'm getting geared up (quite early, but I'd rather not wait until it's cold) for the winter riding season, and could use some thoughts on them.

Yes my bike has them, they're the best thing ever. I wear the same gear and can ride in 15 degrees colder than I could without them. (this puts me at about 30 degrees with my gear...but I don't like riding with the ice out)

sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    musanman wrote:
    adytum wrote:

Yes my bike has them, they're the best thing ever. I wear the same gear and can ride in 15 degrees colder than I could without them. (this puts me at about 30 degrees with my gear...but I don't like riding with the ice out)

What grips do you have? I'm looking at slip-ons, possibly Oxford? They seem to be the gold-standard.

• Options
    adytum wrote:
    musanman wrote:
    adytum wrote:

What grips do you have? I'm looking at slip-ons, possibly Oxford? They seem to be the gold-standard.

Mine are the factory grips from Triumph on my 05 Sprint. I don't know how the Oxford grips work but mine wrap around underneath the rubber and have two heat settings. They get nice and toasty through the rubber, but I've been told if I were to try to change my grips they would lose effectiveness.

sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    BlazeFire wrote:
    An actual 1969 Triumph? Nice bike, but you can't be considering it as a daily driver... can you?

I'll still have the Kawi to beat around on, but the Triumph will be ridden a lot during the warmer months.

Then stored in a vault, with a cover, fully winterized after the first frost.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    I wish you luck! I'd be worried about finding parts if something WAS to go wrong for a bike that old. Who am I to judge though, I ride an '81 KZ750.

• Options
    What I would give for a classic Triumph, Norton, or BSA. Then what I would give again for non British electrical. However, the profile of those bikes, the sound, and the history make it all worth it.

• Options
    Flying CouchFlying Couch Registered User regular
    zilo wrote:
    Speaking of old bikes, I've been considering getting a lightly restored Honda CB550 or CB500 as a first bike. It's a bit more than I was hoping to spend (I want a $1200 beater to start on but am having a hard time finding one that runs), but on the other hand it's not something I'm likely to trade in anytime soon.

What do you guys think of starting out with a vintage bike? I'm mechanically inclined but not experienced with motorcycles, if that makes a difference.
    I started out with a '79 Twinstar (pic on last page) and it's going great for me thus far. It's mechanically sound but fixing the smaller problems with it have been a good opportunity to get in touch with my inner grease monkey. If you think you can find parts for it when things do need fixing I say go for it. It's been a fun learning experience for me and I imagine it'll be the same for you. Just don't expect it to be a flawless, fresh-off-the-showroom-floor bike and get in touch with people who can get parts for you around where you live.

• Options
    CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    adytum wrote:

I've tried a set of heated handgrips on a BMW 650GS and compared them to the heated gloves I use on my own bike, and I much prefer the heated gloves once the temperatures really drop. They work much better at keeping your entire hands warm and not just the palms. The heated hand grips definitely worked better with some sort of hand protector/wind deflector however, and they're obviously easier to use since they're always installed and you don't need to muck around with wiring and a dedicated set of gloves (although that also means you can use the gloves across several different bikes).

I'd say if you ever find your hands get cold really easily, you want to drive in really cold weather, or if you have multiple bikes, look at a set of Gerbings gloves. Otherwise, go for the heated grips.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BlazeFire wrote:
    I wish you luck! I'd be worried about finding parts if something WAS to go wrong for a bike that old. Who am I to judge though, I ride an '81 KZ750.

I'm sure it'd be difficult but not impossible.

• Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    Here in San Diego this morning, I rode behind a dude on a white cruiser with a Hyrulian Crest "tramp stamp" over the rear fender. Comic Con is in town, so which one of you dudes was it? He exited I-15 North at MCAS Miramar so he probably wasn't an attendee.

• Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    Jokerman wrote:
    I've been seriously considering selling my car and using the money to upgrade my bike and riding all year round.

My bike is a 2002 KZ1000P, with 64k on the odometer. Everything else on it is stock.

My car is a 1998 Honda Accord two door, and I could probably get close to 3 grand for it.

With that money, i would replace the front forks, new tires, new brakes, new coat of paint, take off the top box and add a passenger pillion and footpegs and invest in some quality rain gear and some mesh overwear.

I live in Northwest georgia, where it typicaly gets around 40 in the winter and 90's in the summer.

I moved from Newnan, GA (mid west) to San Diego so that I could use my motorcycle as my primary transportation. Been doing that for three years now.

• Options
    KasanagiKasanagi Registered User regular
    Having a bike as your only (primary) transportation is a matter of how comfortable you are with the idea of not always being in the most comfortable conditions physically. You'll have to be mentally prepared to be caught out in rain, extreme heat, or have to sit in traffic for extended periods of time. After that, it's a matter of accepting that you won't have the practical benefits of a car, those being storage space, passenger space, and towing capacity.

If it still sounds like the route you'd like to take, I say go for it. Be prepared to buy rain suits and so forth for differing conditions, as there is no such thing as a universal gear set. If it's water proof, it likely doesn't breathe well... or at all. If it breathes well, it's likely not waterproof, and won't hold together as well in an accident. If I ever get around to finishing my summer/winter gear sets with a set of pants, and pick up a rain suit, I might start thinking about riding year round.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Another bike deal falls apart. What dealer has the balls to try to charge a "destination fee" on a used bike? Ugh.

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    zilo wrote:
    Another bike deal falls apart. What dealer has the balls to try to charge a "destination fee" on a used bike? Ugh.

Craigslist, dude. Don't buy a used bike from a dealer.

• Options
    Daedalus wrote:
    zilo wrote:

Craigslist, dude. Don't buy a used bike from a dealer.

Believe me, I've been trying. At this point I'm going wherever I find a decent bike.

• Options
    100+ degrees

Still ridin'

And sweatin'

• Options
    VarinnVarinn Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    Totally forgot about this thread! Figure I'd drop in here to see what people thought, I've got an '09 GSXR 750 and last week I picked up ANOTHER nail while cruisin to work. After 3 sets of Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's in 7000KM I'm a little frustrated by the whole thing, but that's another issue. This time around I'm considering the option of installing a set of more highway friendly rubber because of the amount of straight line riding I do. Those new Pilot Road's are REALLY appealing, but has anyone here got any first hand experience with them? Asking on a sport bike forum is a pointless task, as everyone immediately jumps on recommending the best of the best of the best almost race quality tire (and of course, mad sick HID headlights yo).

I ride fairly casually, but do get into the corners pretty hard (never beyond a reasonable limit). The hard center, with the soft edges seems like a perfect combination for a "spirited street tire". What do you guys think?? I'm not looking for a track quality rubber, but I do plan on taking some advanced rider training courses next year.

• Options
    Varinn wrote:
    Totally forgot about this thread! Figure I'd drop in here to see what people thought, I've got an '09 GSXR 750 and last week I picked up ANOTHER nail while cruisin to work. After 3 sets of Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's in 7000KM I'm a little frustrated by the whole thing, but that's another issue. This time around I'm considering the option of installing a set of more highway friendly rubber because of the amount of straight line riding I do. Those new Pilot Road's are REALLY appealing, but has anyone here got any first hand experience with them? Asking on a sport bike forum is a pointless task, as everyone immediately jumps on recommending the best of the best of the best almost race quality tire (and of course, mad sick HID headlights yo).

I ride fairly casually, but do get into the corners pretty hard (never beyond a reasonable limit). The hard center, with the soft edges seems like a perfect combination for a "spirited street tire". What do you guys think?? I'm not looking for a track quality rubber, but I do plan on taking some advanced rider training courses next year.

There are some pretty amazing sport touring tires out there. I have continental contimotions on there and they've been lovely. They have the bands in the middle and are softer on the outside. There are also the dunlop roadsmarts, but when I went the guy said really the whole market is super competitive right now so just get the cheaper ones at the time because you can't go wrong.

sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    Pilot Road 2 2CT and Pilot Road 3 2ct are fine tires. They have great wet traction, tire life, and the odds of someone riding over the tires traction on the street is doubtful. Have run the 2ct's on my F4i with great success.

I run a Pirelli Diablo Strada on my rear and a Diablo III on the front of my 1000RR currently. I have had great results and never had any problems with traction in the wet or dry.

Dunlops are good too but I am not a fan of how they heat cycle. I find that towards the end of their life the traction isn't all that great but superb in the beginning. I ran some on my old 2005 GSX-R1000.

All tires have seen Bay Area Highway use in all weather and the bay area mountain roads. Crashes are almost always rider error so picking the right tire to fit your budget and needs should be the main focus.

• Options
    HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I just bought an 82 Yamaha XS400 Maxim. It's only got 9200 miles on it, and has been sitting in a shed for probably 20 years. After spending the last few days cleaning everything up, (the brakes and fluid were VILE) it's almost ready to go through inspection. Did I mention that it was only 750 and runs pretty damn well? I'm pretty stoked on it.

Homeless on
  • Options
    Well, just bought a 1973 Honda CB500. This was either the best or worst decision I've ever made.

Homeless: pics? I'll be posting some once my bike is delivered on Friday. It's getting a going-over from a local vintage bike garage.

• Options
    I just rode home (about 20 miles) in a torrential downpour. I had my helmet, riding jeans, and boots...but elected to not take the jacket with me as it was about 100 degrees. I regret that decision, my nipples are super chaffed!

sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    My friend wants to try to piece together a flathead or do a lot of restoration work.

Is there like a place for motorcycle folks to find things other than craigslist and cycletrader?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    My friend wants to try to piece together a flathead or do a lot of restoration work.

Is there like a place for motorcycle folks to find things other than craigslist and cycletrader?

Ebay?

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So, a friend at work came up to me yesterday and was all like "Look what I bought!"

She shows me her phone, and I see a picture of a bright red Ducati 1098.

Now, this is a girl who I don't think is even 5', and is maybe 100lbs soaking wet. She's also never ridden before.

She insisted she didn't want a "bitch bike", and so that is what she ended up going with. The fact that the dealership sold it to her, I think, is damn near criminal. Why would you ever do that? Someone without their license, and you're going to sell them a bike that is essentially one of the most powerful ever built?

They even offered to let her give it a test ride around the parking lot, despite her lack of experience. She didn't, but wtf?

Maybe I'm over-reacting because she's my friend and I don't want her to wind up dead, but good lord, that is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen a person do. But I'm honestly more annoyed at the dealership, and the friend of hers that helped her pick it up, because they all should have known better.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    Must be a good salesman to sell a new rider a bike that costs as much as a nice car!

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    adytum wrote:
    Must be a good salesman to sell a new rider a bike that costs as much as a nice car!

No, the buyer just has more money than she knows what to do with, and that she didn't have to earn herself. :P She found it online and went to another state to look/buy. The salesman pretty much just had to take her money.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776