As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Motorcyclin' the country side

• Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    hrkA2.jpg
    My '73 CB500 was finally finished last week. Since I got it I've learned a number of important lessons:

1) How to foul sparkplugs
    2) That the choke lever on a CB500 is OPEN when DOWN and CLOSED when UP
    3) How to replace sparkplugs
    4) How to run down a battery with nothing but a closed petcock and an electric start
    5) How to use a kickstarter
    6) How NOT to use a kickstarter (ow my bruised knee)
    7) That the Clymer manual is wrong a lot (the gap on the plugs was not actually 7 mm)
    8) When to switch to reserve and not wear yourself out working the kickstarter in 100 degree heat for no reason
    9) How to adjust the idle and air mixture and how to tell that the settings are wrong
    10) The OEM toolkit has tools that are shitty but compact and are worth buying to keep under the seat

All in all, it's an awesome bike and a really fun learning experience. It feels like all the stupid stuff that could go wrong for a newbie rider on a vintage bike is going wrong right away, but it all happens within a half-mile of my house so it's not stressful at all. Most of the important stuff on the bike is new and it's already been dialed in so all the things that have gone wrong have been my own fault (except the air mixture and idle settings, which weren't really all that wrong).

zilo on
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    Thats a really good looking bike zilo.

• Options
    Thanks! It's not done yet (it will never be done) but it's quite well sorted for now. I've got a bunch of cleaning tasks to do, mostly interior bits to get rid of the aftermath of an oil leak, and I have to replace the gauge faces and repair the chrome trim around the seat. Once that's done I plan to just ride it like it is until it's too cold or too hot, then pull the tank and fenders off for a bout of de-rusting electrolysis, add electronic timing, switch to braided brake lines, perhaps add LED turn signals, and clean up the rest of the electrical system.

It's only got 21k miles on it so with a bit of luck it'll be a few years before I'll need to do a top-end rebuild, mostly I'll be keeping busy with small improvements and routine maintenance.

• Options
    CheBourgeoisNoirCheBourgeoisNoir Registered User regular
    So a gentleman about a block from my apartment is selling either a 500 or a 700 Honda VT from 1986 with 6900 miles, and as far as I can tell it's cherry - new battery, he says it runs great but he needs the money. He'll take $1000 for it.

A.) I've been looking on Craigslist and mostly see these going for $1300-$1500, which is still suprisingly cheap to me.

B.) What should I do as far as liscensure? I'm in Michigan, and I understand there's a written test, along with either a road test OR they waive the test if you take the Beginner's MSF course. A state-run MSF course costs $25 and are full up, and the last one of the season is tomorrow (!). There's a private-run business by me, which does them for $225 (WTF?)

Figuring out all of this is just making me anxious...What should I do?

• Options
    $1000 for a titled, running bike is quite a good deal especially if it's cosmetically solid. Those old Shadows are neat bikes too- shaft driven, hydraulically adjusted valves, etc. Good starters, IMO.

You can usually (depends on your state) get a permit with just a written test. In California a permit means you can't ride at night, on the interstate, or carry a passenger- all things you shouldn't be doing anyway until you've got some experience. But it frees you up to ride around on the street and practice after the MSF. Speaking of...

$225 is not unreasonable for a MSF class (look back a few pages and see what Doc posted about prices in Canada!). I think it's definitely worth doing. It counts towards your driving test, so all you have to do is take the written test again and you've got your license. You don't need a permit to take the MSF, though you may need (or want) some gear- your own helmet and gloves, maybe a jacket. Check your state's DMV webpage, and the MSF website to see what's required.

• Options
    VeraiVerai Registered User regular
    I'd like to add to the above post that there is a very real possibility that the MSF class will save your life.

I'd like to add to my addendum (?) That every biker I have ever talked to in my entire life has said wonderful things about the class. Men who have ridden for over two decades have told me that they just took the class and learned a lot.

To clarify, I've never heard a bad word about it.

Hey.
  • Options
    When it comes to riding there is no such thing as to much training. I've had my license since 09 and next year I'm thinking of spending a day or two at a race track not only going fast but also doing break tests and all that stuff.

• Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    I'm usually pretty good about trucks, but today I found myself in heavy highway traffic stuck to the left of the cab of a truck. The one time I'm in the nozone the truck decides to change lanes on top of me.

*shakes fist*

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    This season was surprisingly safe for me. I can only think of one situation that could have ended REALLY bad but luckily didn't.

Also, my bike qualifies as an antique this year. I just renewed the plates/insurance on it; $106 for a year. :)

• Options
    BlazeFire wrote:
    This season was surprisingly safe for me. I can only think of one situation that could have ended REALLY bad but luckily didn't.

Also, my bike qualifies as an antique this year. I just renewed the plates/insurance on it; $106 for a year. :)

Cheap insurance is never wrong, how old does it have to be to qualify as antique? One insurance company here in Sweden lets anyone insure bikes 20+ years old for next to nothing.

• Options
    I believe it's 25 years in the US. One of my bikes qualifies for antique plates. But they also come with restrictions on what you can use the vehicle for.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    There are limitations here as well. You have to have another vehicle registered as your primary vehicle. Your coverage is also a lot lower.

• Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    OHAI GUYS. Another cross-country trip on the Ninja 250: Moved back to Georgia from San Diego. I'm pushing 31,000 miles now, single owner. :)

Took me less than two days, which qualifies me for "Iron-Butt" status. Fork is leaking, tires are bald, and it needs a new chain and sprockets, but I made it!

CZroe on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    <3

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Figured I should show you guys an updated picture with the Sportisi undertail and hugger (Indonesian brand), integrated LED tail light (brakes and redundant turn signals), blue powdercoated rims, etc:
    dirty_rims.jpg
    Doesn't show the solo seat cowl that replaces the rear seat. I also haven't installed my clip-on handlebars. My new blue chain was losing roller links so I had to yank it off and replace it with that one just before the pic. :(

I actually took this pic to show my brother just how dirty the rims were (they looked almost black in person) but the pic turned out surprisingly good!

CZroe on
  • Options
    http://www.udreplicas.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11
    :)

I bet I'd look good on my white BMW as a Star Wars Trooper.

• Options
    I've been begging for those guys to make a Kaneda jacket (Akira) but they won't reply to my emails. :(

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    This week's lessons: torrential rain can get water into your carbeurator's float bowl, which can, "hypothetically", strand you in the middle of Fucking, Virginia. Also, pushing a non-starting bike up a ramp onto a pickup truck is not a one-person job.

• Options
    Had a minor coolant overflow this morning after my ride. I'm guessing it's from the cold (~40F) temperature.

The coolant overflow hose terminates under the oil pan. I changed the oil and filter last night (full synthetic, yay!) and was worried I'd cocked something up.. until I noticed the liquid was green. Phew.

• Options
    So November is here but its still warm outside, could just as well have been September tbh. Think I'll take the bike for a spin this weekend and then top of the tank and wash it before the winter hiatus.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Bought some helmet headphones. Best $2 purchase ever. Unfortunately they're not audible at highway speeds.

adytum on
  • Options
    adytum wrote:
    Bought some helmet headphones. Best $2 purchase ever. Unfortunately they're not audible at highway speeds.

Does your helmet have extra space for headphones? Mine doesnt and whenever I try to use some it does hurt a little. Still music while riding is awesome.
    70756110.jpg

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Music while riding is illegal in the state of Washington (no headphones while operating a moving vehicle.)

That said, I've been known to use a single earbud for GPS nav instructions...

Also, today I think it's finally too cold for me to ride in. It's a sad day.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    I should have been more clear, they're not helmet "headphones", they're helmet speakers. Helmet speakers do not conform to the definition of headphones as they are neither on nor in the ear. They look approximately like this, and actually attach to the inside of the helmet:

001.jpg

@Lind - Kind of, the helmet has several small, removable liner pieces that are attached via velcro. I took out the one that's closest to the ear and anchored the speakers there. They do not catch when putting on or removing the helmet.

@Houn - It's never too cold, you just need more layers.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Actually, delving further into my state's laws, the earplugs I wear while riding are illegal under the same statute that covers headphones. Huh. Not going to stop though, I like my high-frequency hearing.

There's also a headphone exception for motorcycle riders if "it's part of a communications system", which- since it's attached to my phone- it is.

Oh, and @Houn, here's the WA state statute exception for Motorcyclists:
    (3) This section does not apply to authorized emergency vehicles, motorcyclists wearing a helmet with built-in headsets or earphones as approved by the Washington state patrol, or motorists using hands-free, wireless communications systems, as approved by the equipment section of the Washington state patrol.

adytum on
  • Options
    Yeah, I could get more layers, but the problem of late is my hands. I need something to stop the wind, it just cuts through my thick gloves like they're not there.

Also, my neck. Brr.

• Options
    In CA there's a specific exception for earplugs designed to filter out road noise (I'm paraphrasing, I forget the wording) but normal in-ear headphones are verboten.

I'm kind of tempted to get some in-helmet speakers. I don't even wear earplugs, which is bad. 'Course I'm not much of a highway guy anyway, 95% of my riding is done under 50mph.

• Options
    California probably has the smartest MC laws in the US.

@Houn, get a pair of these. They go on the 6n without much trouble and they're a lifesaver in winter.

• Options
    I was looking at something like that. Which mount did you use?

• Options
    PM14252 ATV & Motorcycle Mount Kit

• Options
    Flying CouchFlying Couch Registered User regular
    Probably going to pick up a brand new, factory fresh CBR250R today if the weather doesn't decide to shit on me. 8-)

• Options
    My handguards are supposed to come in today.

40% chance of snow tomorrow. :P

• Options
    Probably going to pick up a brand new, factory fresh CBR250R today if the weather doesn't decide to shit on me. 8-)

Pics! That's the bike I would have bought if I could have found one with ABS. Unfortunately I was shopping for a bike not long after the earthquake and tsunami in Japan and the supply of CBR250Rs ran way behind demand for awhile. I still hold out hope for a bike in Honda's lineup between that and the CBR600R. The US isn't getting the new 700s they announced at EICMA, which is a huge bummer.

How I went from looking for new CBR250Rs to buying a nearly 40 year old CB500 is kind of a weird thought.

• Options
    zilo wrote:

Pics! That's the bike I would have bought if I could have found one with ABS. Unfortunately I was shopping for a bike not long after the earthquake and tsunami in Japan and the supply of CBR250Rs ran way behind demand for awhile. I still hold out hope for a bike in Honda's lineup between that and the CBR600R. The US isn't getting the new 700s they announced at EICMA, which is a huge bummer.

How I went from looking for new CBR250Rs to buying a nearly 40 year old CB500 is kind of a weird thought.

Mother Nature gave me just long enough to get home before flipping her shit. Didn't get to take her on a long cruise like I wanted, but I got home in one piece. All I've got at the moment are terribad cell phone pics but I'm gonna hold a proper photoshoot tomorrow if it's not raining.

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x348/ThePatchwork/e7b6c4c13f76__1321484498000.jpg?t=1321484956
    http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x348/ThePatchwork/e096333378b6__1321484537000.jpg

It won't let me post them here. Oh well. Links it is.

• Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Nice bike!

I'm looking at taking my test and getting a 250CC of some sort. The insurance costs for cars here in Europe are pretty ridiculous, and I've always loved bikes more anyway, cars detach you from the driving experience. Really looking forward to passing my test. There's a pretty awesome Honda 250CC on the same street as mine, in the same style as Zilo's awesome CB500, don't know what it's called, want to get something like that.

Southern Spain has pretty much clement weather all year round, with maybe 4 or 5 rainy days a month this time of year? So ideal motorbike territory. Probably moving back to England next year though, so less perfect, but quite tolerable.

Lord_Snot on
  • Options
    Gah, wet leaves! They make me glad I live in the desert. Nice bike! Did you get the ABS model?

There are a bunch of 250s in that old UJM standard style these days- Suzuki makes one that has fuel injection, it's pretty cool. Here in the US it's called the TU250. There's another company called Cleveland Cycle Werks that makes a model called the Misfit, sort of a cafe-racer style bike that looks promising. I'm not sure if they sell in Spain though.

I think there are a few similar bikes made by Chinese manufacturers (Kymco, Sym, etc). Not all of them are of terrible quality, too.

• Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    That Suzuki TU250 looks like what I want. Thanks Zilo!

I'm looking to buy used, can't afford a new bike, what with being a student and all.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    zilo wrote:
    Gah, wet leaves! They make me glad I live in the desert. Nice bike! Did you get the ABS model?
    Nah, no ABS. Didn't really think I'd need it - certainly didn't need it bad enough to hold off and look for one that did have it. This one was just what I fell in love with at the dealership.
    Lord_Snot wrote:
    That Suzuki TU250 looks like what I want. Thanks Zilo!

I'm looking to buy used, can't afford a new bike, what with being a student and all.
    I thought about a TU250 for a while. The retro styling is pretty nice and all. And it's the same basic deal as the CBR250R - single cylinder, fuel injection, disc brakes... I just don't think I could've gotten around my latent irrational dislike of Suzuki long enough.

Anyway, got some proper camwhoring in. 8-) Put around 100 miles on it just cruising around this morning. Loving it so far.

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x348/ThePatchwork/DSC00447.jpg
    http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x348/ThePatchwork/DSC00448.jpg
    http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x348/ThePatchwork/DSC00449.jpg
    http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x348/ThePatchwork/DSC00450.jpg
    http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x348/ThePatchwork/DSC00452.jpg
    http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x348/ThePatchwork/DSC00453.jpg

Flying Couch on
  • Options
    Very nice. I didn't realize it had clear signals, I like it. I think my next bike, whatever it is, is going to have to have ABS. The brakes on my dinosaur aren't exactly top-notch but one front-wheel skid per lifetime is plenty for me.

What happened to that poor smashed-up Chrysler in your garage? ;)

• Options
    The CBR250 sure is sexy, grats on a great bike.

ABS brakes are awesome, I even keep the system active on gravel.