As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4E] IC/OOC - Dungeon Delve - Surprise!

• Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    UP NEXT: Sonna, Tiriara!

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So in case you were going to throw Leather Armor for Tanir out there, don't bother. The November update basically forces Avengers into Cloth (we lose Armor of Faith if not in Cloth).

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Tiriara kneels, focusing on the besieged Madgutt. Her aim is slightly off, like normal - one arrow almost splitting him in half, one missing completely.

My apologies for the delay. Bad few days.

Minor: Hunter's Quarry on M.
    Standard: Twin Strike vs AC (ranged), two attacks: 1d20+9 13 1d10+1 2 1d20+9 27 1d10+1 11 1d6 1 12 damage!

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Denada's Storm Spike was a hit - everybody still has +5 to hit against Madgutt from my lead the attack earlier - his real defences are:

AC: 16 Fort: 15 Ref: 13 Will: 14

And that is why Lead the Attack is awesome. (I'm not sure with lead the attack whether you need to be within 5 squares of me when I made the hit, or within 5 squares when you make your attack, but either way, it's in effect here)

That also made Tiriara's move a little redundant considering Madgutt was facing either 4 damage (which would have killed him) from the storm-spike or OA's from both Tanir and Eran. Only one still standing now is the wolf.

soxbox on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Dude, that's awesome.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sonna drags herself to her feet just in time to see Maddgutt fall - grinning at the sight, she imprints her sigil onto the only foe remaining and starts swinging, stabbing the point of her longsword through the wolf's shoulder and dancing away, luring the beast into an extremely precarious position between herself and Eran.

Move: Stand up from prone
    Minor: Aegis of Shielding on W1
    Standard: Luring Strike vs AC on W1: 1d20+10 25 1d8+1 4
    Shift into E5, pulling W1 in to E4; no secondary shift.

WOLVERIIIINES- wait no, wolf

interrobang on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    W1:
    Shifts: E4->E3
    Attacks Dulran, 13 V AC is a Miss

Wolf has 20 HP left and is in E3. I hope you can handle this wolf.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Tiriara fires at the wolf, but her aim is as terrible as always. The wolf does get slightly bloodied, though.

Twin Strike vs AC (ranged), two attacks: 1d20+9 14 1d10+1 2 1d20+9 26 1d10+1 2

2 damage, yay!

Never let Ms. Stoli shoot an apple off your head unless you like bananas.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Tanir steps forward and slashes the wolf, nearly killing the creature.

Minor: Oath of Enmity on W1
    Move: Move to D2
    Standard: Bond of Pursuit on W1: 1d20+9,1d20+9=14,16 Hit!, 13 damage

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Eran joins his companions circling around the lone wolf and sends his longsword piercing through its skull, bringing its life to an end. The battle complete, patches himself up and he quickly surveys the scene for anything of interest. "Darkness is quickly approaching, we should complete our work here and return to Thane post-haste."

Actually, Sundamar was the creature in E4 - I don't think Arivia would appreciate the co-opting of her animal companion. Wherever it is I move somwhere where I can flank and totally stab it.

Melee Basic Attack vs AC: 1d20+9 20 1d8+4 10
    Perception: 1d20+0 15

Spend my last two surges to get back to full health.

Up next: Looting and rejoicing.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Tanir sheathes his sword and stands straight, looking around for anything of value.

Perception: 1d20+12=22

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'll also spend 2 surges, and have a look around.

Perception: 1d20+12 27

Denada on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Kuuuhhlhllmeeeyyyeee

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Sorry this has been a while since an update. I've been busy with interviews, and life in general. I promise there will be an update later tonight or tomorrow morning.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Before anything else happens!

As the last blow on Maddgutt lands on him, he does indeed die. His breathing stops, his arms go limp, and the sword falls from his hand, though he does not fall to the ground. His body limp, the goblin appears to be held up by his head, almost as though some force is holding his head in the air. He stays this way until the wolf is slain.

As the wolf falls, the corpse of Maddgutt appears to lift its head, its dead eyes looking directly at the group. His mouths opens, and the voice that comes is the same voice that has taunted you since the moment you reached the top of the tower. "Though you have killed this servant, you have not defeated me." With those words, the goblin collapses to the floor, and the crown rolls off the creature's head. As it does, the skin on the goblin returns to a normal green color, the wrinkles from his skin dissappearing as his still open eyes return to normal.

Perception Results

The main thing that catches your eyes in the room is the large throne in the corner. Looking around the throne, there appears to be many different gem stones set into the stone. The stones are set into the arm rests of the throne, with 3 stones on each arm rest. The stones are set into the first foot of the arm rests, in the middle of the rests.
    To determine some more about the stones it will be either a Perception or Arcana

With that, everyone may advance to level 3.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Character sheet will be updated momentarily. Whoo level 3!

Tanir peers at the throne, trying to determine the nature of the stones.

Perception: 1d20+12=16

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Sheet updated here.

The glow of Sonna's weapon fades to nothing, and she sheathes her sword on the way over to the throne, sinking down to one knee in front of the massive chair and peering at the embedded gems.

Arcana: 1d20+10 15

interrobang on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Eran looks over the throne, trying to determine the nature of the magical energy he feels in the room. He also glances curiously at the crown - "Is that what we came here for? I really should have gotten Thane to give me a better description of what he wanted."

Arcana on Throne: 1d20+7 22

Soxbox peers curiously at the list of level 3 warlord powers, trying to determine why there doesn't seem to be anything jumping out at him.

System mastery on D&D handbooks: 1d20+0 1 - Dagnabbit.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The level 3 warlord encounter powers are pretty much all lame. Take a look at the level 1 powers instead - there's still some good stuff there. Diabolic Stratagem or Follow Me In are both nice.

interrobang on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Have you checked out Martial Power?

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you guys aren't feeling any need for bonuses on charging or extra shifts are you? I don't think I've managed to give anybody a wolf-pack tactics shift over 3 encounters - I'm considering switching that out to push enemies instead of giving shifts to you guys. Is everybody happy with their own mobility options at the moment? Should I dump out mobility powers?

My choices are basically:
    2[W]+grant a free save
    2[W]+grant +2 damage to allies against target
    2[W]+INT (4) damage
    2[W]+grant free shifts for all
    2[W]+prevent OA's on an ally's charge
    2[W]+grant CA
    2[W]+give THP

I'll probably go with inspiring warcry (grants a save) - unless one of you guys thinks one of the above benefits would be useful to you.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Sheet updated. Retrained Perception to Athletics, so mod that check down to an 11 Kuhl. Since the November update screwed Avengers out of Leather by making Armor of Faith only work when wearing cloth, I (brashly) assumed you would be okay with me retraining Armor Proficiency Leather for Improved Armor of Faith for free?

Granting CA would be pretty hot, sox.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    It's going to be a little while before I get Tiriara's sheet updated, I just spent six hours in the hospital with a bashed-open head.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ow. You should try to keep your head-bashing restricted to your fantasy worlds. Heads are important.

My sheet is updated on orokos unless I change my mind again.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Holy shit Ari. You okay?

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'll be okay. Worst part of it had me taking my once every six months dose of tylenol (and for the record, that was when the doctor stuck staples in, not before hand.) I just really am exhausted after it all.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    People alive?

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm alive, though drained from a 12 hour work day. I'll have a full update tomorrow.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Okay, updating Tiriara's sheet.

Nothing grand for the new encounter power (is that seriously all we get this level?) so I picked up Shadow Wasp Strike, which is just 2W+Dex against a marked target's Reflex.

What I'm wondering about more is retraining her utility power - Yield Ground is probably less useful than 7 resistance to all damage when hit, or even +4 to all defenses for everyone until Tiriara acts in combat, or 2 temp hp for everyone when I use my second wind. Thoughts?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Goin out to do some xmas shopping. Will have an update when I get back. Again sorry for the extreme delay. Turns out a 12 hour opening shift at Best Buy on Black Friday is super draining. Hooray for working from 3 AM to 3PM.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Alignment of stones on arm rests.
    ===========================
    Ruby -- Emerald -- Amethyst 
    ===========================

These three gems run down the top center of both arm rests, with Ruby the closest to front of the throne

Perception > 15; Arcana > 15
    Upon examining the three gems in embedded in each arm rest, you come to determine that the stones indeed have a purpose. The ruby and amethyst on both arm rests appear to be pushed down into the throne further than the emeralds. You imagine that pushing down the emeralds will have some effect, but it's hard to tell exactly what will happen.

Eran
    The only item in the room still emitting any sort of arcane energy is the crown.

aaaaaand we're back! I should be around for the rest of the night.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Let me just go a head and move us on.
    After some time deliberating, someone pushes down on one of the left emerald. Doing so causes the seat of the throne to lift up, revealing a hidden compartment in the stone structure. Looking in the compartment, you find many treasures, mostly assorted gems, gold, and silver coins. There are, however, other things hidden inside the throne of interest. Of note, there appears to be a blade and two sets of armor. After some time looking the items over, you distribute them to the most worthy candidates.

After this discovery, someone pushes down on the other emerald, hoping to discover more treasures. To everyone's disappointment, whatever function the emerald served has been lost, and nothing happens. You do manage to pry the gems from the top of the throne to take with you.

Tanir
    At some point during the proceedings, you start to wonder about the "conversation" you had with the goblin before the fight had begun. In your time at the temple of Kelemvor, you had spent plenty of time learning about the history of Faerun's deities. You remember learning about Kelemvor's relations with other Gods, and, after taking time to think on it, you do remember that Kelemvor and Bane had at one point joined together in an uneasy alliance to defeat some foe. Your mind then wanders to your meeting with Thane before journeying out to the tower, and you remember that he mentioned the tower had at one point been a stronghold for Bane's worshipers. Thinking on this, you pick up the crown that had fallen from Maddgutt's head. Looking over the crown, you see the symbol of Bane inscribed into the crown.

The items are:
    A +2 Flesh Seeker Fullblade
    A set of +1 Tacticians Chainmail
    A set of +2 Repulsion Leather

Along with this, you all now have a full 1000 gold coins in wealth to spend once you are back in town.

Once you decide what you are going to do, and everyone's sheet is updated, we will continue onwards. There will be a small portion/chance to do some roleplaying here, for those interested.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Tanir picks up the large sword, wordlessly sheathing it across his back. "We should return to Undercloak, now."

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Eran grabs the chainmail and quickly steps into it. "Ah! Finally, a suit of armor befitting of a leader!". Watching the others grab their share of the haul, Eran then declares - "I guess it's time we returned to town and took a well-earned break... as well as claim our hard-fought rewards".

The Char Builder and orokos don't automatically add the +1 bonus to int for powers from that armor - just in case I miss it at some point at you guys manage to remember. 'twill be awesome once we hit level 4 and you guys start getting a +3 to hit on action points.

We've got enough for a level 5 magic item or a couple of level 1s (maybe more if our reward is monetary - i don't remember what we were doing this for). If anybody feels they're lacking in equipment or can think of something useful, give a holler.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    kuhl is that 1000 gp per person, or in total?

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Sonna briefly examines the leather, rapping her knuckles against the surface of it before giving an approving nod and changing into it, discarding her old armor onto the floor without a second thought. "Do you think he'll want us to take that back to him?" she asks, gesturing to the crown in Tanir's hand. "I forget if he requires proof of our victory, but if not I would rather we not carry that thing around with us. It unsettles me."

interrobang on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    "Whether he wants it or not, we shouldn't leave it out here to be found again," Dulran says, glancing at the crown warily. "If nothing else it should be destroyed. It is a blight."

Denada on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Someone should go and read through what Thane wanted you to do again...

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Oh okay, yeah he wants us to bring back the crown. Apparently he knows that it's evil and he wants to destroy it, or something along those lines. Who wants to pick it up?

Denada on