Options

[OOC] Space Dragons - It's dragons, in space!

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The other way to get between shards is to travel through the Feywild. Unlike the real world, it didn't shatter in the Nova, it just went completely insane, and is now 100% inimical to any non-fey life. The Eladrin run merchant caravans through the Feywild from Shard to Shard, but they depend on the presence of tamed Faerie Dragons to keep the Feywild from swallowing them whole.

As far as artifice goes, there really isn't the infrastructure to build anything like airships or spaceships yet, and they still aren't 100% sure how dragons can in fact do it. Mostly people are concerned about getting sustainable survivable shards up and running.

As far as how Bahamut would view spaceships... that's a good question. He's definitely not a good of progress, that's for sure.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man, I'd really like to make a space-scape of this setting, but Im on my laptop which doesnt have Photoshop on it and Im not scheduled to be home from work until the 20th. Arg...

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well if your character gets picked it's certainly something I wouldn't mind seeing, once you finally get back home!

Rainfall on
  • Options
    SuperRuperSuperRuper Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    There seems to be a lack of leadership in this thread....(See Avatar)....rolling up a dragonborn warlord

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ChemENGR
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    You totally stole my idea from my brain, Rainfall!

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Landaril, soon-to-be trading magnate.

And Vinu. You will tell them about Vinu.

Ok, ok fine. And Vinu, his pe... partner.

Better. Vinu is pleased.

Hmph.

Picture:
    IRL_Forest_Elf_by_Ecthelian.jpg

Ain't I pretty?

This word has a masculine form in your species?

Er.. Well, no. But I am.

Vinu doesn't understand.

I think that's probably just fine.

Description:
    Landaril is dashing, intelligent, charming and...

*cough*

What? What is it now?

Landaril thinks highly of himself, yes?

Hmph. Maybe. Is that a problem?

Vinu thinks that maybe a more objective assessment is in order.

'Objective'?

This is a word in your language, yes?

Sure, but that's not..

Vinu does not understand your confusion.

It's not confusion, so much as..

'Vanity' is also a word, yes?

*sigh*

Yes. Yes it is.

Background:

The masterful trader Landaril is the youngest member of the esteemed Vandarrania clan...

Which Landaril ran away from.

... because they were trying to stop him from seeking his destiny among the stars.

It is the destiny of Landaril to conduct unsuccessful negotiations with other humanoids?

No, no. My destiny is to become the greatest caravan trader in the shards.

Vinu hopes this destiny involves the procurement of food.

I'll feed you when I feed me. Which we should be able to afford to do any day now.

Vinu wishes Landaril would hurry. The humanoids are starting to look like excellent food sources. This is very concerning to Vinu.

What?! No, no. You can't be eating people. Those are potential customers.

Unfortuntely, Landaril, they are also potential food.

If you're so hungry, why don't you just go back to the clan?

Vinu cannot return without Landaril.

What? Who put you up to that?

Vandarrania who actually FEED Vinu.

Oh, yeah. OK. THEM.

Appearance:
    Did I forget to put 'handsome' in the description section?

Landaril went with 'dashing,' it would seem.

Ah, yes. Well, I'm that too.

Vinu thinks it's good to be thorough.

Like what? That I'm a snappy dresser?

Actually Vinu was thinking a description of himself would be appropriate.

Description? You're a dragon. That's pretty much a one-word painting.

Is Landaril a racist?

Say WHAT?

Is Landaril a racist?

Of course not. Well, unless you include dwarves. *spit* But you're not a dwarf, are you?

No, Vinu is not. But neither is Vinu a Gold or Silver Dragon.

A fact that I lament. Often.

Then obviously a description of Vinu is warranted.

Ok, fine. Knock Vinu out.

Vinu thanks Landaril. Vinu is a Faerie dragon, a native of what you would call the feywild. Vinu's ancestors have been with the Vandarrania clan for many generations, serving as aides and advisors.

Don't forget steeds. You were steeds too.

These are painful memories for Vinu's people.

Is that a fat joke?

What is a 'fat joke'?

Nevermind, just try to wrap it up.

Fine. Vinu, too, is the youngest of his clan, and has been sent to keep an eye on Landaril while he is "getting it out of his system."

Who, who said that?

Again, people who FEED Vinu.

That's fair. Let's finish up.

Vinu agrees. On both counts. Vinu, unlike Landaril, is of average size for his race.

HEY!

Vinu did not mean to offend.

I'm sure Vinu didn't!

It should be fairly obvious that Landaril is not among the more physically powerful or adept members of his...

Where is Landaril going?

Build Summary:
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    Landaril, level 1
    Eladrin, Shaman
    Companion Spirit: Stalker Spirit
    Background: Occupation - Merchant (Bluff class skill)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 10, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 17, Wis 17, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 10, Con 13, Dex 8, Int 15, Wis 17, Cha 10.

AC: 15 Fort: 12 Reflex: 13 Will: 15
    HP: 25 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
    Diplomacy +5, Nature +8, Religion +8, Bluff +5, Insight +8, Arcana +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +1, Heal +3, History +5, Intimidate, Perception +3, Stealth, Streetwise, Thievery, Athletics

FEATS
    Learned Spellcaster: Ritual Caster
    Level 1: Learned Spellcaster

POWERS
    Shaman at-will 1: Haunting Spirits
    Shaman encounter 1: Twin Panthers
    Shaman daily 1: Wrath of the Spirit World

ITEMS
    Leather Armor, Dagger, Adventurer's Kit
    RITUALS
    Amanuensis, Arcane Mark
    ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Question:

Vinu recalls the 5 primary chromatic forms of dragon as being the Red, Black, Blue, White and Green clans. Though Vinu has often heard his clanmates in debate, making impassioned cases for the inclusion of Purple and Brown dragons amongst their number.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Landaril, soon-to-be trading magnate.

And Vinu. You will tell them about Vinu.

Ok, ok fine. And Vinu, his pe... partner.

Better. Vinu is pleased.

Hmph.

Picture:
    IRL_Forest_Elf_by_Ecthelian.jpg

Ain't I pretty?

This word has a masculine form in your species?

Er.. Well, no. But I am.

Vinu doesn't understand.

I think that's probably just fine.

Description:
    Landaril is dashing, intelligent, charming and...

*cough*

What? What is it now?

Landaril thinks highly of himself, yes?

Hmph. Maybe. Is that a problem?

Vinu thinks that maybe a more objective assessment is in order.

'Objective'?

This is a word in your language, yes?

Sure, but that's not..

Vinu does not understand your confusion.

It's not confusion, so much as..

'Vanity' is also a word, yes?

*sigh*

Yes. Yes it is.

Background:

The masterful trader Landaril is the youngest member of the esteemed Vandarrania clan...

Which Landaril ran away from.

... because they were trying to stop him from seeking his destiny among the stars.

It is the destiny of Landaril to conduct unsuccessful negotiations with other humanoids?

No, no. My destiny is to become the greatest caravan trader in the shards.

Vinu hopes this destiny involves the procurement of food.

I'll feed you when I feed me. Which we should be able to afford to do any day now.

Vinu wishes Landaril would hurry. The humanoids are starting to look like excellent food sources. This is very concerning to Vinu.

What?! No, no. You can't be eating people. Those are potential customers.

Unfortuntely, Landaril, they are also potential food.

If you're so hungry, why don't you just go back to the clan?

Vinu cannot return without Landaril.

What? Who put you up to that?

Vandarrania who actually FEED Vinu.

Oh, yeah. OK. THEM.

Appearance:
    Did I forget to put 'handsome' in the description section?

Landaril went with 'dashing,' it would seem.

Ah, yes. Well, I'm that too.

Vinu thinks it's good to be thorough.

Like what? That I'm a snappy dresser?

Actually Vinu was thinking a description of himself would be appropriate.

Description? You're a dragon. That's pretty much a one-word painting.

Is Landaril a racist?

Say WHAT?

Is Landaril a racist?

Of course not. Well, unless you include dwarves. *spit* But you're not a dwarf, are you?

No, Vinu is not. But neither is Vinu a Gold or Silver Dragon.

A fact that I lament. Often.

Then obviously a description of Vinu is warranted.

Ok, fine. Knock Vinu out.

Vinu thanks Landaril. Vinu is a Mirage dragon, a native of what you would call the feywild. Vinu's ancestors have been with the Vandarrania clan for many generations, serving as aides and advisors.

Don't forget steeds. You were steeds too.

These are painful memories for Vinu's people.

Is that a fat joke?

What is a 'fat joke'?

Nevermind, just try to wrap it up.

Fine. Vinu, too, is the youngest of his clan, and has been sent to keep an eye on Landaril while he is "getting it out of his system."

Who, who said that?

Again, people who FEED Vinu.

That's fair. Let's finish up.

Vinu agrees. On both counts. Vinu, like Landaril, is abnormally small for his race.

HEY!

Vinu did not mean to offend.

I'm sure Vinu didn't!

It should be fairly obvious that Landaril is not among the more physically powerful or adept members of his...

Where is Landaril going?

Build Summary:
    Landaril, level 1
    Eladrin, Shaman
    Companion Spirit: Stalker Spirit
    Background: Occupation - Merchant (Bluff class skill)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 10, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 17, Wis 17, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 10, Con 13, Dex 8, Int 15, Wis 17, Cha 10.

AC: 15 Fort: 12 Reflex: 13 Will: 15
    HP: 25 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
    Diplomacy +5, Nature +8, Religion +8, Bluff +5, Insight +8, Arcana +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +1, Heal +3, History +5, Intimidate, Perception +3, Stealth, Streetwise, Thievery, Athletics

FEATS
    Learned Spellcaster: Ritual Caster
    Level 1: Learned Spellcaster

POWERS
    Shaman at-will 1: Watcher's Strike
    Shaman encounter 1: Call to the Ancestral Warrior
    Shaman daily 1: Wrath of the Spirit World

ITEMS
    Leather Armor, Dagger, Adventurer's Kit
    RITUALS
    Amanuensis, Arcane Mark

Question:

Vinu recalls the 5 primary chromatic forms of dragon as being the Red, Black, Blue, White and Green clans. Though Vinu has often heard his clanmates in debate, making impassioned cases for the inclusion of Purple and Brown dragons amongst their number.

I love Vinu. Oh man. That is awesome.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Not a Mirage Dragon. Faerie Dragon. Mirage dragons are bigger. By a lot.

Mind you, the character is good. Keep up the superb submissions, folks!

Rainfall on
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It took me a while, but...

Rie, Changeling Rogue
    aslkdjfa.jpg
    Four girls surround a square table in a room somewhere in Rima City. There is one door, which is bolted shut from the inside; three windows with shades drawn, one on each wall; and a hole in the ceiling from which the mid-day sun pours through to grant them light. The surface of the table is littered with loose sheets of paper, and a large map of the city is tacked up on the wall.

They're all of moderate height, they all possess the same waist-length black hair, and they are all wearing the same green strips of cloth tied around their left wrist. For all intents and purposes, they are complete carbon copies of each other. And that is exactly the point.

"Do you think we'll ever run out?" one of the girls asks, idly plucking at a loose thread from her wrist-cloth. "Of people, I mean."

"I doubt it. A place as big as Rima City attracts all sorts of characters. And with new folks always coming in on the Silver Express, we'll always be fine," one of the girls replies in an identical voice.

Another one of the girls nods her agreement and leans forward, rifling through the papers. "Is this the one you picked, Ree?" she asks, picking one up by the corner and glossing over its contents.

"Yeah," replies the fourth girl, who is ostensibly Rie. She is standing, as opposed to sitting, and her confident posture and mannerisms suggest that she's the one running this show. "That's the one we're gonna use."

The girl to Rie's left takes the paper from the girl sitting beside her and peers at it, cocking a finely-groomed brow. "Are you sure? She's very unusual, and you remember what happened the last time we tried to use someone so strange-looking."

Rie waves her hand, dismissing the girl's concerns. "I know, but this one is safe. She took off back to Iyoru three days ago."

The girl to Rie's right abruptly laughs, leaning forward to prop her elbows up on the table, resting her chin on the back of her hand. "Iyoru? That's perfect. Nobody could even get inside to find her if they wanted to."

Rie beams and nods her head, gesture with her arms as if to say "well, there you go!" She turns away from the table and vanishes into the shadows that drown the corners of the room, emerging seconds later, dragging a shoddily-constructed wooden chest. With a grunt she hoists it up onto the table, letting it down with a heavy thump.

In minutes, the four girls have shed their former identities, assuming new ones the same way a regular person would throw on a cloak. They've all shrank about an inch, they all have abandoned the lengthy, inky curtain for a messy shock of white, and all don the same bright yellow scarf tied snug around their throats. Wordlessly they separate, each leaving the room through a different entrance, and seamlessly blend into the teeming mass of citizens to do their work.

Just another day.
    Rie is one of four quadruplets living in the unofficial capital of Rima City. The four girls maintain a residence in a relatively well-off area of the metropolis, and sustain themselves through pickpocketing, thievery and espionage. The money they do not spend on maintaining their admittedly simple livelihood is funneled to their mother under the guise of an anonymous benefactor; her husband's death had left her buried in debt. As thieves, their modus operandi is simple. Towards the end of every month, they scope every inn and tavern and dive in the city, prying stories out of travelers who are just passing through. The girls commit their features to memory, record them on paper, and at the beginning of the next month they meet to decide on a new identity to assume. This keeps them safe from the risk of prolonged investigation while doing relatively little damage to the reputation of whichever identity they steal. Once properly disguised, they split up and search for marks in the city proper, each covering a wide area while remaining far enough apart to avoid being seen together in the same place. Their bright accessories often help with this - the green wristbands and yellow scarves serve as beacons, letting the girls easily see each other from a distance through crowds, allowing them to divert their course if necessary and avoid contact. This method allows them to almost literally be in four places at once, and grants them the luxury of almost airtight alibis as long as they are not caught in the act - "I couldn't have stolen that, sir, I was on the opposite end of the city at that time." Rie serves as the ringleader of this organization, as much as it can be called one. Her disguises are the ones most normally used, she has the most nimble fingers, she's the quickest runner and she's the most skilled with a blade. The other girls allow her the position of leadership due to her competence, although she is by no means immune to mockery and teasing when she fails. While her sisters remain content with their lives as they are, Rie is more prone to head-in-the-clouds dreaming, and often spends her free time watching Khazari and Khazask come and go, infinitely curious as to what can be found on the other Shards.
    Rie, level 1
    Changeling, Rogue
    Rogue Tactics: Artful Dodger

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 11, Con 10, Dex 20, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 16.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 11, Con 10, Dex 18, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 14.

AC: 15 Fort: 10 Reflex: 17 Will: 14
    HP: 22 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 5

TRAINED SKILLS
    Stealth +10, Thievery +10, Streetwise +8, Intimidate +8, Acrobatics +10, Bluff +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana -1, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering, Endurance, Heal, History -1, Insight +2, Nature, Perception, Religion -1, Athletics

FEATS
    Level 1: Backstabber

POWERS
    Rogue at-will 1: Sly Flourish
    Rogue at-will 1: Piercing Strike
    Rogue encounter 1: Positioning Strike
    Rogue daily 1: Precise Incision

ITEMS
    Leather Armor, Adventurer's Kit, Dagger (8), Thieves' Tools, Glass Cutter, Footpads
    red blue black green white blah blah

interrobang on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Not a Mirage Dragon. Faerie Dragon. Mirage dragons are bigger. By a lot.

Mind you, the character is good. Keep up the superb submissions, folks!

I went with Mirage (well, pygmy Mirage) to avoid the 6 Int of the Faerie dragon. I figured it made more sense for Vinu to be a much smaller (and extremely young) version of the Mirage than a much smarter version of the Faerie. This is definitely something I'm willing to change if you think it makes sense, though.

Edit: Mirage dragons are only Large at their apparent largest, too. If Vinu is an unusually small youth of his species, he's probably Small right now and will top out on the high side of medium (think bugbear or minotaur). I'll definitely leave the final call to the DM.

Edit 2: It looks like I was basing the Int thing off of the lower of the two Faerie Dragons. It's weird that there's so much difference between level 4 members of the same species.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well we'll hash it out on IRC. Come on, people! A mere three days left to get your apps in!

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    No! I like my odds the way they are. Sniperguy's KOTS game is on perma-stasis for the time being and Im totally jone'sing to get in on a game.

Its like getting a taste of "Super Fly Sweet Alabama Rattlesnake Poison" and then the dealer just hogs the rest for himself D:

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just couldn't help it... I had to make a character.

Vondal, Dwarven Cleric of Bahamut

Background
    Hmpff... Dragons... cant live with em, cant live without em. Thats life on the Shards.

Vondal grew up on the shards. Though he never really called any one of them home. His first memories are from the metal mines on Nivaheim, with his clan. His clan... Vondal didn't have much love for them. When the Nova first hit, his clan was a exile from other Dwarf clans, for nothing less than worshiping Pelor. Bah, Pelor... how the God of Sun had betrayed them. And now, here they were, floating through space on a small piece of what they used to call home. Vondal's tribe didn't worship Pelor for much longer after that, especially when Bahamut showed himself to the Shards. It was then that his clan moved from Bonthandol, the mountainous shard they were stranded on after the Nova, to Nivaheim. One of Bahamut's dragons came to the shard and relocated them, claiming that they were needed elsewhere.

Of course, his clan managed to hold on to many of their traditions once on Nivaheim. They had once been great at training clerics of Pelor, now they only had to switch gods, and they could continue. This is how Vondal was raised. Cleric of Bahamut. Only problem was they hadn't replaced any of their armor or equipment, because it was still in pristine condition. So when his training was complete, Vondal ventured out from Nivaheim with the symbol on his chainmail representing the sun, but worshiping Bahamut, like so many others. He visited the other civilized shards, and even once went to see his clan's original home at Bonthandol. He could see why they left. The shard was barely inhabitable, with mountainous peaks covering the surface, and who knows what beneath.

And now Coven was trying to have the colonies under one government. Vondal could see the reason in that. Bahamut was more powerful than the others of his kin. Vondal was ready now, after his travels. To fight, he preferred not to, to become a politician, even less. He wasn't quite sure of his place in the... world... but he was ready to find out.

Personality
    Overly cynical. Vondal believes that many things in the world post-Nova are going downhill, and his ready and willing to share his views.

Dragons
    Black, red, blue, green, white. Though the 4e draconomicon also puts brown, gray, and purple in the chromatic dragon category too.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    DearAmbellinaDearAmbellina Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    *edited

DearAmbellina on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Not to get your thread on a different topic and I'm sorry about the interruption but what is the connection info for the #criticalfailures IRC channel? I've been looking for a spot to chat with other gamers

DearAmbellina on
  • Options
    JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'll probably be making an application for this come Friday, but since I've already applied for Hunters and Eternal, it wouldn't be fair to put one up before then.

That said, this game looks awesome!

Jebu on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Not to get your thread on a different topic and I'm sorry about the interruption but what is the connection info for the #criticalfailures IRC channel? I've been looking for a spot to chat with other gamers

It's on irc.slashnet.org, #criticalfailures. Welcome in!

And put in a submission for the game, don't be shy. If you're posting here it means you want to play!

Jebu, yeah, I figure a lot of people won't put in submissions until saturday, which is why I'm waiting until Sunday for final choices.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah I might play with the character builder a little bit and see if there is anything I really like. I already have enough on my plate over @paizo but I like to drop in and see what games are going on over here.

DearAmbellina on
  • Options
    SuperRuperSuperRuper Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm still on for this game, just hashing out my character. I can't settle on a cool enough idea

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ChemENGR
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Second character!

Alain, Human Invoker of Kord.
    Character stuff:
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
    Alain, level 1
    Human, Invoker
    Divine Covenant: Covenant of Wrath

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 12, Con 16, Dex 10, Int 12, Wis 18, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 12, Con 16, Dex 10, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 8.

AC: 16 Fort: 15 Reflex: 13 Will: 16
    HP: 26 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana +6, Religion +6, History +6, Endurance +7, Insight +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics -1, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Dungeoneering +4, Heal +4, Intimidate -1, Nature +4, Perception +4, Stealth -1, Streetwise -1, Thievery -1, Athletics

FEATS
    Invoker: Ritual Caster
    Human: Implement Expertise (rod)
    Level 1: Invoker Defense

POWERS
    Invoker at-will 1: Avenging Light
    Invoker at-will 1: Sun Strike
    Invoker encounter 1: Spear of the Inquisitor
    Invoker daily 1: Summon Angel of Fire
    Human: Divine Bolts

ITEMS
    Ritual Book, Chainmail, Implement, Rod
    Appearance:
    Fairly tall with a fairly muscled build, with a flaming red hair and pale skin. His eyes are emerald green. He wears a blue robe over chainmail armor, and holds a runed rod in one hand.
    Personality:
    Loud and brash, and usually laughing and telling jokes to whomever is in earshot. He loves good ale and a good fight, and is often compared to the god he reveres because he loves battle and chaotic things so much. His personality can be a bit off-putting for some, but for the most part people find him a good companion (at least in battle).
    Background:
    Alain was born on Iyoru, and grew up in a small village of people who are like himself (loud, brash, and in love with a good battle). His father was a paladin of Kord (his entire family has worshiped Kord for time immemorial, and a little thing like a Nova wasn't going to stop them, although they can only get away with this on Iyoru, never on Rima), and taught his son everything there was to know about the Lord of Storms. Alain grew up in the village surrounding the local temple of Kord and manifested holy power at an early age, showing great promise as one who could channel Kord's power on the battlefield ("as he rightly should!" his father exclaimed loudly; "he is my son, after all!").

As he grew older, his powers increased more and more, to the point where it almost seemed like Kord was speaking through him at some points. He began training more and more intensely, until there was no more that he could be taught in the temple, and so he kept practicing, learning to control his powers to smite the foes of Kord, and of honorable people in general.

He eventually felt that he was skilled enough to set out on his own (for all the men of his family had been adventurers in their youth, and he was not one to break a blood tradition), and so he did, traveling across the shards to spread the word of Kord, instead of that of Bahamut ("who wants only one god? That's boring, and a good way to get into trouble" he can often be heard to say). However, even though he does not support Bahamut, he actively works against Tiamat. "She has no honor; she's a beast, who's not even worthy to lick the mud from Kord's boots."

Though he would rather spread the word of Kord than fight for another god, if he needs to he will join with the followers of Bahamut to smite Tiamat, or any other kind of threat.
    I already answered the Dragons question =P

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    GraycoinGraycoin Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I quite like the sound of this - wish I'd found it a few days earlier, but I'm working on a character regardless. Though 4e seems rather newb-friendly, I feel like I should ask; would being a complete and utter newb to this game pose a problem? Thanks!

Graycoin on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Nah, just don't make a character that's completely terrible, and you'll be fine. 4E is indeed newbie-friendly.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Majnun

majnun2.jpg

Level 1 Dragonborn Bard (Valor)

Init +0; Senses Perception +6 (passive 16)
    Defenses AC 15, Fortitude 12, Reflex 13, Will 15
    HP 26; Bloodied 13; Surge Value 8; Surges/Day 9
    Speed 6 squares
    At Will Exploits Jinx Shot, Guiding Strike
    Encounter Exploits (attacks) Dragon's Breath, Prophesied Strike
    Encounter Exploits (utility) Majestic Word (2/enc), Words of Friendship
    Daily Exploits (attacks) Saga of Rivalry
    Abilities Str 10, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 18
    Feats Weapon Expertise (Bow)
    Skills
    Arcana +7. Bluff +9, Diplomacy +9, History +5, Insight +6, Intimidate +7, Nature +4, Perception +6
    Possessions Ritual Book, Longbow, Arrows (30), Adventurer's Kit, Hide Armor, Scimitar, Dagger, Flute, 1gp.

Background: PHB 2 - Geography Desert - +2 Nature skill checks.

Alignment: just doesn't look like it belongs in statblocks. For the record, he'd be unaligned... like most people.
    ...Endless pools the radiance
    through all this yawning night
    that elemental force
    which has no dusk nor light.

Even that which holds all things
    o'erflows with the One
    who captures endless ecstasy
    no eye may gaze upon.

Wheel ye, stars inverted
    for I wander still beneath,
    forever bound and circled
    in thy slave's magnetic wreath.

Desire itself shalt rule by pain,
    mute though I long to sing your Name.
    The blade briefly smoked as the pen, still dripping acidic bile, was drawn away. He held it aloft, regarding his work. The darkness of countless etched draconic words cascaded over the scimitar and contrasted with reflected moonlight.

"...Leyla"

He sheathed the weapon and cinched his rough hide cloak tighter about his frame and wreathed his face once again in the trailing folds of his headscarf. The cold wind roared again, blowing sand over him. His gaze turned to the nearby camel. It had led him in a circle over and over through the Zahara as-Saif, turning back toward home each time its rider's attention gave way to contemplation.

"You had a point, my friend. It might have been better for me to do this alone. Indeed, it seems I shall... and perhaps we meet again soon."

As he stood, the great beast did not stir. It had suddenly fallen dead to the ground hours before, for reasons perhaps a poet would fathom later. He looked upon his meager posessions for a moment before lashing them to his back once more.

Every inch of his recurve bow, every feathered arrow, every scrap of laquered leather had been inscribed in flowing verse. All of them had begun the journey blank. It was his only measure of the time he had spent in the desert wilderness of Pesedja.

Gazing up, he regarded the Sea of Stars. Though he knew how one might navigate by the astral patterns above, he lacked a direction. He pondered briefly if it mattered where he went.

There was a loud rustling sound, like a great canvas being whipped in the gale. Above him passed the great winged silhouette of a dragon. The great one was descending as it glided eastward, where the S'ad as-Su'ud winked over the horizon.

"An unfeathered arrow that flies toward luck. Subhena Rabi Iohdin."

The tracks of Majnun's scaled and taloned feet would be drawn in the same direction, like a traveler's poem etched in the curving blades of sand.
    Majnun ibn al-Mulawwah ibn Muzahim is a native of Pesedja. Raised in its harsh climes, he grew skilled with the bow and scimitar, and was of a tribe wealthy enough to provide for his education. It was not in reading that he excelled so much as in writing, quickly distinguishing himself as a great poet among his people.

In time, Majnun rejected reason, living the life of a mad Mystic in the desert... for a purpose that few yet remember... in his absence, he has become the sole remnant of a group of tribes destroyed by the incursions of Kheshit's raiders.

It is impossible to know if such knowledge would (or has) affected him. The life of the wandering poet is a path of annihilation. This is not simple nor indulgent self-destruction... but a winnowing of the Self, a renunciation of illusion... the search for Truth.

Though his mental faculties are fully intact (unlike many that choose the Mystic's life), Majnun's memories of his past are vague and weathered like the ruins of a desert obelisk. But upon that cracked surface lies one glyph that has stood against the elements, one word, one name.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    What variety of Dragonbreath did you take, Shoe?

Anyway, for those curious, the forums being down won't delay selection. It will begin sometime Sunday, at a time predetermined by how much alcohol I consume Saturday.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    whoopses, forgot about breath type

i was going to go with acid based soley upon the scene with him etching his scimitar

perhaps his coloration bears resemblance to the "rust dragon" of 3e

75603.jpg

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    They made a whole rust dragon? Is that like a rust monster in dragon form? Terrifying.

But yeah, I figured acid, just wanted to make sure.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I edited my background into my submission, FYI.

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    hm. maybe I got too esoteric in making a Darvish bard that references a persian epic.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    psolms on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Indra

indras.jpg

Level 1 Deva Swordmage (Ensnarement)

Init +0; Senses Perception +1 (passive 11)
    Defenses AC 20, Fortitude 12, Reflex 15, Will 13
    HP 29; Bloodied 14; Surge Value 7; Surges/Day 10
    Speed 6 squares
    At Will Exploits Lightning Lure, Booming Blade, Aegis of Ensnarement
    Encounter Exploits (attacks) Foesnare
    Encounter Exploits (utility) Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes
    Daily Exploits (attacks) Frost Backlash
    Abilities Str 11, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 20, Wis 12, Cha 8
    Feats Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword)
    Skills
    Arcana +12, Athletics +5, Endurance +7, History +7, Insight +6, Religion +7
    Possessions +1 Staggering Bastard Sword, Bastard Sword, Leather Armor, Adventurer's Kit, 30gp.

Background: PHB 2 - Deva, "Brink of Elightenment" - +2 Arcana skill checks.

Alignment: Good.
    I am on a limitless and blasted plain, flat in all directions but for its deep, gaping craters. From the infinite layers beneath a multitude of horrid, twisted things pour out. They scream an incoherent expression of mindless violence. Their blood cakes my garments and my sword. The ritual is almost complete. We will stop them. I will die. I am afraid.

There is a city before me. A dwarf is showing me its many finely-crafted features. I see only how they will be obscured by smoke and ash, mighty timbers burning and buckling the mines beneath. He tells me that this stronghold shall never fall. My smile is a lie.

I am in a place of shadows. The ground beneath me is the stretched skin of a dragon. In one hour I shall leave with the head of his slayer. I will drop it seven paces after reaching the light, when an arrow pierces my heart.

A young Eladrin is speaking to me, gesturing at the clouds. In the future this place will be Iyoru, and he will be dead. His son will be pointing toward a portal, his face twisted in anger.

In the forests of my master a snake mocks me. He knows my name, and tells me I shall not reach enlightenment until my lifetimes exceed the number of leaves in all the trees of this plane. I laugh at him. There are not enough leaves.

I am in a desert. It is young. I still see the echoes of its breaking in the sky. A pale tree grows in the barrens, where for miles around there is nothing but a desperate salt flat. It will bloom every year with no mate, growing weaker every day.

A star is dying. We know it is folly to fight it, that its throes shall consume the multiverse. I hold her hand. She whispers to me that the world will live as we do. I know that she is right.

I am standing upon the back of a five headed beast. It dips its trunks down between worlds to drink from the underworld, and lifts them upward to fill the heavens with clouds. I will make them rain. I will make the thunder.

I hold a wet clod of earth in my hand. In the past it is a mountain, silhouetted in the fury of an explosion from many years before. Its destruction was like an epitaph for the many lives that had been taken before.

I am walking through glittering tunnels. The black elves part as I approach. I wonder for a moment if they are afraid of me. They are not. They fear that what I have been sent to fight shall defeat me and emerge in fury. They are correct.

I sit in the eye of a net. It stretches in all directions, farther than any can see. All the jewels of the universe are reflected in its strands, and reflected again. It is a place of infinity. I shall sit here until my last breath.

I gaze upon a tree. It is dead, its white corpse weathering away to dust in the harsh winds. In the past it is still alive, in bloom, calling for its beloved.

I am standing on a tower, overlooking the golden roofs of a city like none that one may see in a thousand lifetimes. Soon a pseudodragon shall bring me a scroll. What I read upon it shall reveal the story of my present life.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I've had a couple of questions pop up as Im deciding on a picture:

1) How big is Rima? I'd assume it's got a bit of mass in it to support a tiny Underdark for drow, dwarves, -and- a dragon that is sizable enough to be stand off-ish to Bahamut. Im thinking in the neighborhood of 1/10 to1/12th of the pre-nova world? or is that too big of a chunk?

2) How big are the elf spires? Im gonna take a big step of faith and say that real world physics (like gravity and that we are still alive...) are abstract. I've been thinking that the spires would be space-elevator-size in scope (since they dislike the ground so much)

3) Am I over thinking this and should I just take artistic license and just make it look cool?

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The Khazagyl is explicitly only Khaza's domain, Baranzan is on the opposite side of the Shard from Rima city, and together they cover pretty much the entire Shard. As far as actual size goes, it's not THAT big. Think New York stacked on top of New York, with the Grand Canyon in between them.

2 - The Elfspires vary dramatically in size, depending. Remember, they're all entirely new constructions and they've only had a few years with almost exclusively elven labor to build them. They reach for the stars, but they're not there yet, and they certainly aren't Space Elevator tall. After all, there's no proper atmospheres anymore, either.

3 - Yes you are just pick something that looks cool.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Ok gotcha, its asteroid belt saturation for where the planet used to be. and now that I look back at it, Im associating this too much with a sci fi epic so I need to disassociate the two...

I havent put anything to paper or pixel yet, Im just trying to get an overall feel of the place and the answers are helping.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Here's Zann, a (slightly crazy) Human Avenger of Pelor

Background:
    When the Nova occured, it shattered countless lives and destroyed the faith of many people. Arguably the worst happened to Pelor's followers, who were once peaceful and devoted to promoting life and hope. In the wake of seeing the symbol of their god destroyed, many went mad, committed suicide, or became homicidal maniacs overnight. Churches to Pelor are rare now, though some still do offer thanks for whatever sunshine they get on their shards. There are, however, a few secret cults sworn to the sun god, devoted to understanding how the Nova could have happened, and how the cosmos can be returned to its former state. Some claim that Zehir was responsible, trying to have an endless night cover the world. Others have muttered that the Raven Queen's dominion over death and winter make her a natural suspect. Some blame demons, devils, and every other common scapegoat. A few even claim that the dragon gods and the dragons themselves were responsible, though most dismiss this as wild conjecture.

Still, these cults have become devoted to finding the truth, displaying a tenacity and a hunger for hidden knowledge. They also rigorously train for combat, believing that once they find the true enemy, there will be a blood debt to settle. Zann is one of these devoted followers of Pelor. His fellow worshippers have a hidden monastery on Pesedja, where they learn to fight in the endless wars of Kheshit's zealots. He and his brothers offer no direct fealty to any dragon or other authority, preferring instead to jump into the chaos of battle at will to test their skills. Zann takes great joy in the grand melees, but he knows he must move on to other shards to have any progress in his investigations.

Personality:
    Zann seems almost charming on a first impression. He is always ready with a smile and has a good sense of humor. When his friends see the same smile on his face when he is plunging his sword into an unfortunate enemy, it tends to make them a little more wary of him. He is always curious about the world before the Nova, and little can keep him from following a potential lead to discover what caused it. He views any who turn from the sun, such as shadar-kai and drow, with contempt, and zealously believes that Pelor shall rise once again and the sun shall be reformed one day. He is reluctant to reveal his past history to anyone, since he knows that most would view his association with a fringe cult with fear, suspicion, or even hatred. In his heart, he is not sure who to trust, and knows that many do not want to know the truths he is determined to uncover.

Appearance:
    Zann is very lean and tall, looking almost gangly. He is young, but his face is weathered from long hours in the sun, making him appear older than he is. He wears gray robes with yellow cloth underneath, and he has two red tattoos of the sun on his shoulders. His blade is almost as tall as he is, and hangs off a leather strap that he wears on his back.

Sheet:
    Zann, level 1
    Human, Avenger
    Build: Isolating Avenger
    Avenger's Censure: Censure of Retribution

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 8, Con 12, Dex 12, Int 16, Wis 18, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 8, Con 12, Dex 12, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 10.

AC: 16 Fort: 13 Reflex: 15 Will: 16
    HP: 26 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
    Intimidate +5, Religion +8, Acrobatics +6, Stealth +6, Perception +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana +3, Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering +4, Endurance +1, Heal +4, History +3, Insight +4, Nature +4, Streetwise, Thievery +1, Athletics -1

FEATS
    Human: Melee Training (Wisdom)
    Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Fullblade)

POWERS
    Avenger at-will 1: Bond of Retribution
    Avenger at-will 1: Overwhelming Strike
    Bonus At-Will Power: Radiant Vengeance
    Avenger encounter 1: Avenging Echo
    Avenger daily 1: Argent Mantle

ITEMS
    Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing), Adventurer's Kit, Fullblade, Holy Symbol

Five colors of chromatic dragons:
    White, Green, Black, Blue, Red

Jebu on
  • Options
    ZarcathZarcath Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Brillbus the Dwarven Sorcerer: Powered by Storm Magic and Ale

Background
    Brillbus was once a simple dwarf, toiling away in the mountains with his kin, working the endless rock passageways. When the great shattering occurred, the tunnel collapsed and Brillbus was trapped. Rocks rained down around him from the ceilings and a great chasm opened up beneath him, he fell for what felt like an eternity. In the madness, he passed out (though he claims a really really big rock hit him in the face).

When he came too he was laying near a pool of liquid. Faint light played across the surface, where it came from he could not determine. As he bent down to drink the liquid, he noticed the source of light was coming from below. An object was glowing at the deepest end of the pool. He was one of those dwarves who doesn't swim. Ever. He tried several methods to retrieve the object, trying to construct a fishing pole and one method that involved sea turtles (dont ask) but to no avail. Finally, he simply waded into the water and walked along the bottom.

He had no idea how long he walked beneath or what manner of strange creatures that lingered around him. Also mysterious was that he had heard people tended to drown when emerssed in liquids for long periods of time. Perhaps they were mistaken?

He came upon the object in question. It was a book. Unable to read the script (heck, he can barely read at all), he opened the book (upside down at that). To his shock, it did not contain words, but pictures. Moving pictures.

The page began to swirl and a dark spot appeared in the center of the page. The page seemed to be sucked into the hole. Actually, everything in the area was being drawn into it. Brillbus screamed in surprise (which came out as BWARAWRGRHGRGBRB as he was submerged) and was pulled into the tome.

He awoke again. This time he was laying on his back in a field of grass. He was wet. It was raining.

He sat up and tried to make sense of his surroundings. Trees were growing upside down. Rain was falling up. Birds were flying backwards.

Surely he was dead, what madness is this?

He raised both fists up and screamed. "I'M NOT CRAZY!"

Lightning struck him. The world around him flipped crazily for what seemed like decades.

Finally the world righted itself. Brillbus has never felt right since.

Personality
    A simple dwarf who had been a miner before the great rift. Now empowered by unexplained wild energies, he attempts to make sense of what he has become. Though it may not make any logical sense to anyone else with an education, they make sense to the dwarf, and for him, that's all that matters. His various storm powers all have a logical origin for Brillbus. If he shuffles his shoes on the ground, he makes lightning appear from them. If claps his hands, lightning bursts out of them. Makes sense right?

Appearance
    Looks like a dwarf. Smells like a dwarf. He still wears his old mining uniform. His metal lined boots and heavy leather metal studded gloves are burnt beyond belief. His hair is a shock of white and seems perpetually at end. Even his eyebrows and mustache is unnervingly bushy.

Summary
    sorry I only have the free version so it's missing the Arcane Power update

Brillbus, level 1
    Dwarf, Sorcerer
    Build: Chaos Sorcerer
    Spell Source: Wild Magic

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 10, Con 13, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 17.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 10, Con 11, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 17.

AC: 13 Fort: 11 Reflex: 13 Will: 15
    HP: 25 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana +5, Bluff +8, Intimidate +8, Perception +5

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +3, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +2, Endurance +3, Heal, History, Insight, Nature, Religion, Stealth +3, Streetwise +3, Thievery +3, Athletics

FEATS
    Level 1: Tempest Magic (Arcane Power book)

POWERS
    Sorcerer at-will 1: Storm Walk
    Sorcerer at-will 1: Lightning Strike (Arcane Power book)
    Sorcerer encounter 1: Thunder Slam
    Sorcerer daily 1: Shocking Magnetism (Arcane Power book)

ITEMS
    Adventurer's Kit, Implement, Staff, Ale, Pitcher (10)

Background: Dwarf - Ancestral Home Lost: Perception class skill

Colors
    I don't see colors, just dragons. That need slaying.

Zarcath on
  • Options
    GraycoinGraycoin Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Dah, I'm gonna have anything in by the deadline. D: Enjoy the game everyone, looks like it'll be awesome.

Graycoin on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    You've still got a few hours, people. I'm pretty drunk right now and when I go to bed the smart money is on me not waking up for a while.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    RED BLACK GREEN BLUE WHITE

now that that's out of the way, I present:

Nicodi
    , Elf Monk

Appearance:
    Japanese_buddhist_monk_hat_by_Arash.jpg

Nicodi hides his elf nature as long as possible when among the other races. His monk's hat covers his ears and eyes and he focuses on covering his accent when outside the tower. He hopes that the general oddness of his outfit will cause people to wonder about his profession instead of his race. He wears a lightweight black cloth robe that covers from neck to toe that includes deep voluminous sleeves inside which he usually keeps his arms hidden.

Background/Personality:
    Nicodi was born while the elves were on their Deep Space Sabbatical. He lived the first portion of this life in the tranquility of space travel, a tranquility that he, to this day, seeks to maintain. His habits among the elves, therefore, would seem to be strange. When an elf needs something from the world at large, Nicodi often is the one who sets off to the cities of Rima in search of it.

In the streets of Rima City, Nicodi hides his heritage with his clothing, but otherwise does almost nothing to acknowledge the existence of those who do not cross his path. The merchants with whom he deals receive nothing but the highest regard from him, and children who dart in front of him in the street are given a warm smile and a firm nod to get them back to having fun. Ruffians who feel the need to confront him are met with a calm manner until weapons are pressed to either him, in which case he flees the scene in a theatrical but otherwise serene manner, or an innocent, in which case he quickly implicates him in their place.

OOC: The only thing that motivates Nic more than his tranquility is his urge to help others at the cost of himself.

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Signups are closed. Results incoming.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    which do you prefer?

*drum roll*

or