As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Meet Up Thread] The Official Kansas City Meet Up - Mission: COMPLETE

Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
THE OFFICIAL KANSAS CITY PENNY ARCADE MEET UP THREAD EXTRAVAGANZA

SATURDAY, AUGUST 29 AFTER ACTION REPORT

ATTENDANCE:

Decorated Veterans:

VulnoX
Evil_Reaver
BlackDragon480
Burtletoy
TheSteve

Missing in Action:

RocketSauce
quietguyintheback

COMMENTARY:

Thanks for coming out to the 1st Official Penny Arcade Kansas City Meet Up. I had a good time last night eating delicious BBQ, enjoying adult libations, and hanging out with awesome dudes. Special thanks to Burtletoy for driving all the way out from Lawrence; that was rad. Also, thanks to VulnoX for buying a round of Jaeger bombs; that was awful and awesome at the same time. I'm sorry that more people didn't come out for the festivities, but I'm glad I got to meet everyone who made the effort.

RocketSauce and quietyguy are Communists, have shamed their houses, and are disappointments to their families.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

We'll plan another meet up for late October/early November but skip the dinner portion and just go straight to the bars.

MISSION STATUS:

COMPLETE

Original OP:
kansascitymissouridownt.jpg

Our friend VulnoX is moving from some desolate swamp of Michigan to our fair Kansas City. Some of you exclaimed, "WHY?" but those of us already living in the Kansas City metropolitan area asked, "Why shouldn't he move here? Michigan sucks and Kansas City is awesome."

VulnoX has never been to Kansas City and has no friends here. Rather than ostracize him and make him feel retarded, some of us have decided that we should have a Kansas City Penny Arcade meet up / gala event for VulnoX. This is the thread for making plans for said event.

Original H&A Thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=97256

THE MEET UP / GALA EVENT

WHEN: SATURDAY, AUGUST 29, 6 PM

WHERE:

Meet at Fiorella's Jack Stack BBQ (4747 Wyandotte St, Kansas City, MO 64112)

Eat delicious BBQ.

Drive a short distance to Westport where we can have tasty adult beverages at Harry's.

Google Map - Jack Stack to Harry's (Westport)

As you can see, the only real schedule we have to meet is when we meet up for delicious BBQ. I'm going to get to the restaurant at 5:45 to get us a table. You can show up early if you want, but please try to get there at or close to 6:00 PM.

Now, you guys need to know who the man is behind the Reaver handle in order for this to work.

This is me:
46635215102178636820032.jpg

My name is Joe.

I'll tell the hostess at the front my name and that a bunch of awesome dudes are meeting me for delicious BBQ. She should be able to lead you to where I am (or you can just go in and find me).

I'm not going to post my phone number, but PM me if you think you're going to need it and I'll send it to you.

Confirmed (Awesome Dudes Who Love BBQ):
VulnoX
quietguyintheback
Evil_Reaver
RocketSauce
BlackDragon480
Burtletoy
TheSteve

Not Confirmed (Posers Who Hate the American Heartland):
jacobkosh
Pi-r8
Elki

Unable to Attend (People to Mock Relentlessly):
mogdemon
Nocturne

KANSAS CITY FACTS
The Kansas City metropolitan area covers 15 counties across 2 states, Kansas and Missouri.

There are over 2 million people living in the metro area.

I-35 and I-70 are the major intersecting highways.

My friend Scott Jones believes that Kansas City is only in Missouri (Link).

Kansas City was the home of the completely bad ass KC MONARCHS!

Kansas City is home to the ever horrible CHIEFS!

Kansas City is home to the terrabad ROYALS!

Kansas City is home to the semi-terrible WIZARDS!

Oklahoma Joes > Gate's BBQ > Arthur Bryant's

Townships that are awesome: Downtown KCMO, Brookside, Westport, Country Club Plaza (district)

Areas where you will be murdered: Troost Ave north of Volker, Troost Ave south of Volker, Overland Park

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
Evil_Reaver on

• Options
    edited August 2009
    I can't think of a reason why I would need the next post but I'm taking it anyway.

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    VulnoXVulnoX Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Woo!

Yeah the plan now is that I am going to attempt to bust through the wall of hobo's that block the exit from Michigan and head to Indiana on the night of the 18th. Then on Wednesday heading to Kansas City with my fiance and start checking places out. Right now it sounds like I am working Friday, Saturday, I think Sunday, and off Monday, but I will know more coming up I think.

Any place is good with me, I am 24 so drinking age is no problem. At least until they start paying me and given all my coming moving expenses, a bar or something that I can try to keep on the cheaper side would be much better, at least if this happens in the first couple weeks I am down there.

Thanks all! Can't wait to check out the city, it sounds a lot more exciting than anything going on around here.

VulnoX on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    What's your work schedule (times) for the 21st, 22nd, and 23rd?

Would you be up for something on the night of Saturday the 22nd or do you want to wait a week to the weekend of the 28th - 30th?

Of the bars I listed, the Westport Flea Market is the cheapest for food and booze. Plus the burgers are awesome.

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'd definitely be down for this. I'd vote for barbeque and then bar rather than royals or D&B.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Of course, do this as I am moving to Texas. (Currently in NWA Arkansas)

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2009
    Haha, you had to schedule it just as I bought my ticket for Nashville on the 19th. No Elki for you!

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Elki wrote: »
    Haha, you had to schedule it just as I bought my ticket for Nashville on the 19th. No Elki for you!

This is all going to be contingent on when VulnoX can do it so there's a pretty good chance you'll still be able to go. What dates are you in Nashville?

Also, the meet up doesn't have to be on a weekend or even in the next couple of weeks. We can look at September dates as well if that means more people can come.
    I'd definitely be down for this. I'd vote for barbeque and then bar rather than royals or D&B.

We might be able to do a multi-pronged approach to this. A designated BBQ joint for dinner then drinks at a bar after.

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited August 2009
    We might be able to do a multi-pronged approach to this. A designated BBQ joint for dinner then drinks at a bar after.

I think this sounds like a great evening out. We should do this.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    YES, BBQ and bar, for sure. I hear about BBQ down there, I need to see what its all about. There is a BBQ ribs place here in MI only called The Bone Yard. I have yet in all my travels to find a place with better ribs and sauce, I thought about buying some before I moved.

So, challenge put down.

I think the first weekend I am down there (the 19th/20/21st) might be a bit crazy. I also will probably not get more info on my actual schedule until that Friday. So it might be better to try for the next weekend, even though I would like to have my fiance there to check things out as well.

But, I am sure I can make whatever days work, even if it has to wait for September, would hate for some people to miss out.

VulnoX on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    jacobkosh wrote: »

I think this sounds like a great evening out. We should do this.

Here's what I'm thinking right now:

Meet at Gate's BBQ (3205 Main St, Kansas City, MO).

Eat delicious BBQ.

Drive a short distance to Westport where we can have tasty adult beverages at:

- Westport Flea Market
    - McCoy's
    - Harry's
    - Kelly's

[Updated the OP with this tentative plan.]

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That sounds good to me.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    VulnoX wrote: »
    YES, BBQ and bar, for sure. I hear about BBQ down there, I need to see what its all about. There is a BBQ ribs place here in MI only called The Bone Yard. I have yet in all my travels to find a place with better ribs and sauce, I thought about buying some before I moved.

So, challenge put down.

I think the first weekend I am down there (the 19th/20/21st) might be a bit crazy. I also will probably not get more info on my actual schedule until that Friday. So it might be better to try for the next weekend, even though I would like to have my fiance there to check things out as well.

But, I am sure I can make whatever days work, even if it has to wait for September, would hate for some people to miss out.

There's three famous BBQ joints in the KC area:

Oklahoma Joe's
    Gate's
    Arthur Bryant's

I'm partial to Oklahoma Joe's because my name is Joe and I really am from Oklahoma. Also, the BBQ is ace. However, Gate's and Bryant's are top notch as well, so really it doesn't matter where you go.

I figured the 19th - 23rd would be too crazy for you to do this so don't worry about it.

This event absolutely has to be on the weekend for me to be able to go, however, the party isn't for me so if a weekday works out better for everyone else, so be it.

That leaves us with (Friday & Sat):

August 28 & 29
    September 4, 5, & 6 (Labor Day Weekend)
    September 11 & 12
    September 18 & 19
    September 25 & 26

Labor Day weekend gives us more days to work with since no one will have school or work on Monday the 7th. Maybe we should shoot for that? What do you guys think?

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited August 2009

- Westport Flea Market
    - McCoy's
    - Harry's
    - Kelly's

Harry's! We can sit outside and actually hear ourselves think. Also, they serve Chimay there.

EDIT: to that list of BBQ places I would add the Jack Stack, which has amazing food and is also a real restaurant and may be a more realistic option for a big group of people.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    jacobkosh wrote: »

- Westport Flea Market
    - McCoy's
    - Harry's
    - Kelly's

To that list of BBQ places I would add the Jack Stack, which has amazing food and is also a real restaurant and may be a more realistic option for a big group of people.

I've never been there but it's close enough to Westport that it wouldn't change the plan at all.

Jack Stack BBQ

Menu

Google Map

Also, everyone needs to keep in mind that you order slabs of ribs with the intent of sharing it with 2-3 people, so the individual dinner tabs will be lower than what you think.

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Count me in.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The BBQ and bar idea sounds perfectly pimp.

I'd also vote for Jack Stack (their Lamb ribs and baked beans are made of win) and then head to Harry's Bar and Tables. Although Gate's would be a more than acceptable alternative if Fiorella's seems a bit too pricy.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    OP updated with The Plan.

Jack Stack sounds fine. The Plaza is ace and I'm sure this place will have better seating arrangements than Gate's.

It looks like we need to start hashing out the date/time for this shindig. I'm voting for Labor Day weekend since that will give us Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and even Monday afternoon to work with. Out of those days, I'd rather go with Saturday or Sunday.

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm out of town Labor Day weekend, but don't rearrange just for me.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Out of the dates in the OP is there a weekend(s) that works better for you?

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    August 28 & 29
    September 4, 5, & 6 (Labor Day Weekend)
    September 11 & 12

Any of those three weekends should work for me. If people can't make the labor day weekends I understand that, so if you want to just aim for the August 28th and 29th that might work, I don't remember anyone having a problem there but maybe I missed it. If so, we can drink to our country on the 11th or 12th.

VulnoX on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'll be at PAX Labor Day Weekend,

But August 28th/29th or September 11th/12th would work fine for me.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Ah fuck, I forgot about PAX being on Labor Day weekend.

I'm down for August 28th/29th. I think that'll give VulnoX time to get settled in to his new pad but not so far away that he'll feel isolated in a new city.

OP Updated.

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Sounds good to me, hopefully since its the weekend before the weekend most people leave town, we can get the highest attendance.

Can't wait! Have it narrowed down to a few apartments, mostly in the Mission area it seems.

My fiance might have a job that would be in Olathe, so the middle ground for both of us appears to be Mission or northern Overland Park at the furthest.

VulnoX on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm down for August 28th/29th. I think that'll give VulnoX time to get settled in to his new pad but not so far away that he'll feel isolated in a new city.

OP Updated.

I'm in.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Sounds good to me, hopefully since its the weekend before the weekend most people leave town, we can get the highest attendance.

Can't wait! Have it narrowed down to a few apartments, mostly in the Mission area it seems.

My fiance might have a job that would be in Olathe, so the middle ground for both of us appears to be Mission or northern Overland Park at the furthest.

If you didn't already know, it's pronounced "Oh - layth - uh."

Not "Oh - layth - eh" or "Oh - layth - ey."

Stupid midwest pronunciation for the fail.

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I hear a lot of people call it Oh - laythe.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I say it that way as a joke. I've been yelled at for saying it incorrectly, though.

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I say it that way as a joke. I've been yelled at for saying it incorrectly, though.

Whenever someone says it wrong you're sposed to punch them and spit on them and go "welcome to the JO, bitch"

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I have taken Executive Privilege and declared the date and time. So unless there are major objections...

The 1st Annual Official Kansas City Penny Arcade Meet Up & Gala Event With VulnoX & Friends

will take place on

SATURDAY, AUGUST 29TH at 6:00 PM

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Thats the kind of take charge attitude that will take you far in the this business.

Sounds good to me, I will know more if there are any issues with that when I am there the weekend before that. The job I am doing is basically a 24 hour open schedule, meaning I can work Sat/Sun, but only work 4 days a week, and often work from home, etc.

SOOO

I may have to work Saturday, but its unlikely since I will still be in training and it sounds like I will be 9-5 weekdays for a month or so. I will do what I can to get a solid schedule out of them.

VulnoX on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Tell them that your internet friends demand your presence at the gala event planned specifically for you. That'll show 'em.

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Tell them that your internet friends demand your presence at the gala event planned specifically for you. That'll show 'em.

I'm HUGE on the internet guys you don't understand...

VulnoX on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I'm HUGE on the internet guys you don't understand...

I wish it worked that way. I'd never have to work.

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    quietguyinthebackquietguyintheback Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm in. I may either be late for the food, but I'm in for the drinks for sure. Gotta have priorites, right?

quietguyintheback on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    All right, sucka' bitches, I need to know who is going to eat dinner at Jack Stack so I can try and make reservations. I'll pad the reservation (if they even do reservations) to allow the undecided folks to join us, but I'd like to have a soft number before I call.

The OP has been updated with this information.

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Definitely put me down for chow. I don't miss opportunities to dine at Jack Stack.

I'll also come armed with a $25 gift card.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm in for 1

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Glad to hear that you're down for making the drive from Lawrence, Burtle.

This is shaping up to be an awesome evening.

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    :( My friend's wedding is on the 29th. If it was another day, or if you guys get together another weekend here in the future, I'll be so down for this. I'd be driving from Topeka.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Nocturne wrote: »
    :( My friend's wedding is on the 29th. If it was another day, or if you guys get together another weekend here in the future, I'll be so down for this. I'd be driving from Topeka.

Tell him that you can't make the wedding because your internet friends demand your presence at the delicious BBQ restaurant.

Evil_Reaver on