Options

[Wii Shop] 8/10 - Super Star Wars, NyxQuest, Rock N' Roll Climber, Brain Age Express

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Huh, I guess I don't even remember MM using that. Odd!

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Huh, I guess I don't even remember MM using that. Odd!

ZeldaMMbox.jpg

Over there on the right.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've always wanted to play Pilotwings 64, so I'd certainly buy that.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Alright alright I believe you already!!

(obviously a photoshop)

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Bit Trip Beat is freaking impossible once you get about 10 minutes in, holy shit.

(Which I could have some traditional controls, that would help.)

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Bit Trip Beat is freaking impossible once you get about 10 minutes in, holy shit.

Are you talking about the first stage? If so, I look forward to your reaction to levels 2 and 3.

I think the only way they could improve on the controls is by making an actual paddle controller.

SteevL on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I need to get my Wii working online. NyxQuest looks awesome.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    SteevL wrote: »

Are you talking about the first stage? If so, I look forward to your reaction to levels 2 and 3.

I think the only way they could improve on the controls is by making an actual paddle controller.

I'm never gonna make it to 2 & 3.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    NyxQuest is awesome. As people have said there is not much variation in graphics or enemies, but what is there is very well executed, and there are many moments that are beautiful. It's another game that would only work well on Wii or PC, where you similtaneously control your character and a pointer that interacts with the environment. You have to work out some tricky maneuvers that are satisfying to accomplish.

I would say the main gimmick of the game thus far is the ability to move blocks with the pointer. They use realistic physics and at times it has vaguely reminded me of Boom Blox (which it isn't quite, the blocks often can't be moved very far, it's just reminiscent).

The game is doled out pretty evenly across the stages, I'm up to 5 or 6 of 12 and each one has had something slightly new. It's not a rollercoaster of amazing like World of Goo but it too has a knack for not wearing out its welcome. Smart introduction of new elements followed by more difficult incarnations. And at this point I've fought one boss and a miniboss.

Hidden stuff is well hidden most of the time but not unfairly so, which is the right sort to make you feel good about finding it. I don't know if it unlocks anything yet.

Music is very pretty and atmospheric.

One complaint is that revive points are a bit far apart, so you may have to replay large sections of the level over again. Explorative types will find enough health along the way to keep them going though. Overall I am only mildly annoyed by this, because after all I do expect to be challenged a little and don't mind the game lasting a little longer.

All in all it reminds me of good homebrew games like Knytt or An Untitled Story, where the focus is just on enjoying yourself in an atmospheric environment.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Where can I find a list of Japan's releases for yesterday?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I thought the same thing but I eventually made it to the second level. I haven't really played since then, but the second level is hard as all shit.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I thought the same thing but I eventually made it to the second level. I haven't really played since then, but the second level is hard as all shit.

And level 3 is the worst. I have a feeling that there's no way I'll clear it.

I think Bit.Trip Core is easier, even though I had assumed I'd have a harder time with it. Then again, I haven't beaten stage 2 in that game yet either.

SteevL on
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

And level 3 is the worst. I have a feeling that there's no way I'll clear it.

I think Bit.Trip Core is easier, even though I had assumed I'd have a harder time with it. Then again, I haven't beaten stage 2 in that game yet either.

Stage 2 in Core is ridiculously difficult. Stage 3 is actually easier. It took me well over two dozen tries to beat the 2nd stage in Core, while it only took me two tries to beat the 3rd stage.

Stage 3 in Beat is also ridiculously difficult.

In other news, the translation for Cave Story WiiWare will be truer to the original game than the fan-translated game on PC. And it should be coming very soon. Link

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I cannot wait for Cave Story....I never played it on PC.

Oh, and the fact that he is also bringing La Mulana to WiiWare makes me very happy. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    pslong9 wrote: »
    In other news, the translation for Cave Story WiiWare will be truer to the original game than the fan-translated game on PC. And it should be coming very soon. Link

"Truer to the original" almost always makes me roll my eyes, in gaming and beyond. Does changing "Grass Town" to "Bushlands" or changing "Please respond!" to "Answer back!" really affect one's experience? It's nice to know they're in touch with Pixel and have his approval, though.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I cannot wait for Cave Story....I never played it on PC.

Oh, and the fact that he is also bringing La Mulana to WiiWare makes me very happy. :D

You can always download the PC version and play it. Can't beat the price! If you're like me, though, you'd probably rather just wait for the WiiWare version.

La Mulana is a game I've not played yet, but I figure waiting for the WiiWare version is better than playing the PC version.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yea, I figure he's put enough work into it I'd rather give him some money for the game. Plus why ruin and spoil the story for myself ahead of time...so yea, I'm waiting for WiiWare before I experience Cave Story. It can't show up soon enough.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I started playing the PC version of Cave Story, decided that it was pretty good and promptly uninstalled it.

[tiny]I wanted the WiiWare version[/tiny]

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My brother and I downloaded and tried out Bit Trip Beat the first night it came out.

The two of us beat the whole thing on our first try...

It was tough but we're both shmup fans and it's a tad easier with 2 people. I found it noticeably harder playing Solo, but I still didn't have too much trouble beating it (I beat it the second time through after having played it the night before with my brother).

I just didn't think it was that tough. It tapped into my shmup skills and I felt that it was easier to play if you listen to the beat, though. Also I thought the controls were perfect for the game, especially since they 'feel' more like the old twisty paddle controllers.

slash000 on
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Where can I find a list of Japan's releases for yesterday?

http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2009/08/10/37058.html

For Famicom: Ike Ike! Nekketsu Hockey Bu: Subete Koron de Dairantou

And Virtual Console Arcade: Knuckle Heads, Solomon's Key and Bomb Jack.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well let me ask, patrons of the thread, should I bother putting the Japanese releases in the OP or should I just stick to the US and EU?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    According to Gonintendo, Flipnote studio is now available in the DSi ware shop:

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=92866

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I would probably just stick to the US releases...unless we have a large number here with Japanese Wiis...do we?

Europe you might want to do because I think we have a good number of people from there that hang out here do we not?

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited August 2009

!!!

A sneak attack on Nintendo's part. A midweek update is weird; it's either an accidental early release or they meant for it to be out on Monday and had delays. I'm grabbing it now.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Jeez, maximumzero, you couldn't have chosen a worse time to get yourself jailed. :P Or can you still edit your OP? I thought that's one of the punishments for getting jailed.

I didn't bother with Japanese releases when I did the thread and I don't think anyone else did either. I think just having a link to the Japanese releases wiki would be sufficient.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Lunker wrote: »

!!!

A sneak attack on Nintendo's part. A midweek update is weird; it's either an accidental early release or they meant for it to be out on Monday and had delays. I'm grabbing it now.

Very cool...I'll be downloading this later. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Okay, Flipnote Studio is really charming. Classic Nintendo: Simple, unthreatening, intuitive. A five-minute tutorial shows you all of the basic stuff you need, and then it points you to "Advanced Tools" to learn more. I'm trying to post my ghetto 8-frame waving animation, and because it's all sketchy my terrible drawing skills don't matter! :)

EDIT: Okay, my animation should show up here eventually. I wonder if there's an easy way to make them into inline GIFs.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Sweet, I'll add this to the OP soon.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Oh well fuck, I was gonna change the thread title and OP to reflect Flipnote's release but I'm jailed. lol

Guess it'll have to wait a few days.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh well fuck, I was gonna change the thread title and OP to reflect Flipnote's release but I'm jailed. lol

You didn't look at your profile? That infraction doesn't expire until in two months.

The Wii shop channel being completely seperate for the different regions can be extremely annoying. I'd like to get Bit.Trip Core, but it's not out in Europe. I guess it's nice that we got Majora's Mask first, though.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I made a separate thread for Flipnote Studio—it's really quite fun, and I can't draw to save my life. I think a lot of people here will have fun messing around with it, and you can always just use it to view other people's animations.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Peewi wrote: »

You didn't look at your profile? That infraction doesn't expire until in two months.

The Wii shop channel being completely seperate for the different regions can be extremely annoying. I'd like to get Bit.Trip Core, but it's not out in Europe. I guess it's nice that we got Majora's Mask first, though.

Two months? Haha, what a waste of fucking time it was for me to make this thread.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    What's today? I'm assuming Super Empire Strikes Back will probably be our VC release. What else?

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I picked up NyxQuest last night, put about half an hour into it and am loving it! I'm always surprised there aren't more games set in a Greco-Roman atmosphere, and I like the weird ambidexterity the game requires when you're lifting blocks and such.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It just makes me wish Nintendo would get on the ball with a new Kid Icarus. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Aug. 17, 2009

Nintendo Download

Fun Keeps Popping Up, From Slot Cars to Rock Stars, Sudoku to Ninjutsu

Choosing a game to download from the Wii™ Shop Channel or Nintendo DSi Shop™ can be a little like taking a personality test. Do you like mystery and surprises? A new WiiWare™ game offers elements of magic and pop-up excitement. Are you an extrovert who craves the spotlight? Try a Nintendo DSiWare™ title that turns players into rock stars. Do you crave competition and fierce action? Choose from a new car racing game or a bona fide martial-arts classic. Or maybe you’re more of a brainiac? Check out the sudoku-themed installment in the popular Brain Age™ series. This week’s new downloadable games offer something for players of any disposition.

WiiWare

PictureBook Games™: Pop-Up Pursuit
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Players: 1-4
    ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
    Price: 800 Wii Points™
    Description: Enter the world of PictureBook Games: Pop-Up Pursuit and enjoy a family board game set in a pop-up picture book. Instead of simply rolling dice to move along the map, you’ll use cards (which can help or hinder progress) and coins (useful for buying more cards, but don’t forget about your Coin Bonus at the end of the game). Spaces on the map play an important role in the game’s outcome, and your computer-controlled opponents exhibit different personalities and behavior. Occasionally, the mysterious Book of Magick will be opened, causing an event that may change according to how you play. This mixture of exciting game play and charming, artistic atmosphere give Pop-Up Pursuit high replay value and unique depth—even if its characters are flat.

Family Slot Car Racing
    Publisher: Aksys Games
    Players: 1-2
    Price: 500 Wii Points
    Description: Daddy, Mommy, Sarah and Billy are putting the pedal to the metal in Family Slot Car Racing. Race through three racing circuits, each composed of multiple racetracks and even bonus tracks. You can race against a friend for some friendly one-on-one racing action. Choose among multiple slot cars with varying designs to see which car has the best grip and speed. As you progress, you’ll unlock new courses and even new slot cars to help you reach the top of the racing circuit. Do you have it in you to be the fastest racer on four wheels?

Virtual Console™

The Revenge of Shinobi™
    Original platform: SEGA Genesis
    Publisher: SEGA
    Players: 1
    ESRB Rating: E10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) – Fantasy Violence
    Price: 800 Wii Points
    Description: This classic SEGA Genesis platformer features Musashi, a ninja out to defeat the evil Neo Zeed and his criminal empire. In this sequel to the arcade favorite Shinobi, traverse through various districts – from the bamboo forests of Japan to the streets of New York City – and fight incoming enemies by throwing Shurikens, performing special ninjutsu moves and slashing a katana sword. Battle against unique bosses at the last stage of each district and make your way to the final match with your nemesis, Neo Zeed.

Nintendo DSiWare

Brain Age Express: Sudoku
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Players: 1
    Price: 500 Nintendo DSi Points™
    Description: Sudoku takes center stage in this edition of the popular Brain Age series. Solve a variety of puzzles at three different skill levels using the touch screen and an intuitive interface. Track your progress by completing three tests and finding out your Brain Age. The unique charm of the Brain Age series and the challenge of sudoku make for an enjoyable combination. Prepare for another round of training your brain in minutes a day.

Guitar Rock Tour®
    Publisher: Gameloft
    Players: 1-4
    Price: 500 Nintendo DSi Points
    Description: If you like rock music and have a sense of rhythm, your road to stardom starts here. Guitarist or drummer – choose your path and fire up the most famous concert stages with your band. For beginners or music experts, the engaging game play provides hours of fun. Tap the touch screen or press buttons to the beat of your favorite songs. Keep your cool in front of a hyped-up crowd and don’t miss a note. Warm up your fingers and prepare your ears for the explosive track list of Guitar Rock Tour, mixing recent hits like “Girlfriend,” “In the Shadow” and “Banquet” with rock classics like “Beat It,” “Rock You Like a Hurricane” and more. Use the Nintendo DSi Camera™ to take a photo of yourself or your friends, then display it onstage and receive goodies at your effigy. A new rock idol is born!

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    bleh week, not even Super Empire Strikes Back like I thought, that must be next week. It looks like this was a week for Nintendo to unload some of the crappy backlog.

Revenge of Shinobi is pretty cool though.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Shinobi is a good game but not for me.

If someone wants to go ahead and take my opening post code and make a new thread be my guest.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Gameloft and Interplay to Bring Earthworm Jim to Mobile Platforms and Downloadable Consoles

The Game Wiggles its Way on to Xbox Live Arcade, WiiWare(TM), PlayStation(R)Network and Mobile Devices

NEW YORK, August 17 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Gameloft, a leading developer and publisher of downloadable video games, today announced a multi-year licensing agreement with Interplay to develop, distribute and publish Earthworm Jim, a popular run and gun platform video game featuring an earthworm who dresses up in a Super Suit to fight evil. The game will make its way to mobile, WiiWare(TM), PlayStation Network, with an exclusive one month run on Xbox Live(R) Arcade.

(Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20090817/356486 )

"We are delighted to partner with Interplay to bring Earthworm Jim to multiple downloadable platforms," said Gonzague de Vallois, senior vice president, Gameloft. "The game, with its humorous and edgy style, is a great fit for today's gamer who craves a fully immersive experience that is fun and easily accessible. We look forward to delivering a fantastic game."

"Earthworm Jim resonates with millions of people worldwide and we are excited to have one of the best developers in the industry create this game for a new audience," said Herve Caen, CEO, Interplay. "Gameloft's creativity coupled with its innate knack for innovative games, makes us 100% confident that the result will be nothing short of stellar."

Initially released in 1994, Earthworm Jim's games garnered such a cult following that the character's popularity took him far beyond video games into an animated TV series, Toys and Comic books. Earthworm Jim centers around an ordinary earthworm who engages in normal worm activities- eating dirt, crawling and fleeing from hungry birds- that is until he comes across a high tech indestructible space suit. Jim takes refuge in the space suit while fleeing from hungry birds. The suit's powerful atomic particles cause him to grow and obtain newfound powers.

The game will be available in the last quarter of 2009. For the latest information on the game, follow Gameloft on our Twitter feed: http://www.twitter.com/Gameloft

Found this on Gaf today...it's interesting.

It sounds to me that Interplay is finally ready to make a new Earthworm Jim game that is due to head to all downloadable fronts for new games.

I'll reserve Judgement as new games in old series can be awesome (Mega Man 9) or horrible (Adventure Island WiiWare).

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I thought there was already an Earthworm Jim sequel that sucked.

I wonder if Doug Tennapel will be involved. Probably not.

Man now I want the Neverhood ported to Wii.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky