Options

[Wii Shop] 8/10 - Super Star Wars, NyxQuest, Rock N' Roll Climber, Brain Age Express

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    But...I liked Earthworm Jim 2...not as much as the first but it was fun. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    But...I liked Earthworm Jim 2...not as much as the first but it was fun. :(

I don't think he was referring to EJ 2

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I just refuse to acknowledge that the N64 game ever existed.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I had to go look it up...
    Two further games, Earthworm Jim 3D (1999, PC, Nintendo 64) and Earthworm Jim: Menace 2 the Galaxy (1999, Game Boy Color), were produced without the involvement of Shiny and were met with mediocre to poor reviews.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I didn't know there was a GBC version of the game. Yuck.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Can I please have some suggestions from everyone for SHMUPs on the Wii Shop Channel, broken down into horizontal/vertical/other?

I tried looking through the Wii Shop Channel already, but when Castlevania is listed as a shooter, I feel I wouldn't be getting the best of information from it.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Super R*TYPE, Soldier Blade, and Life Force.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    There are a lot of good shmups on there.

Horizontal:
    Gradius ReBirth, Life Force, Gate of Thunder, Gradius III, RType 3, Rtype, Gradius, Super Fantasy Zone, Fantasy Zone II, Lord of Thunder, Forgotten Worlds, Bit.Trip.Beat

Vertical
    Soldier Blade, MUSHA, Axelay, Star Soldier R

Personally I vote Gradius ReBirth. I also mentioned Bit.Trip.Beat because it taps into SHMUP skills like no other.

There's also a shmup called Gyrostarr but I dunno if it's much good or not

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Gyrostarr is ok, but I wouldn't spend the money on it as there are many better options on the VC. I wish I hadn't of bought it. It just gets boring really quick.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Gyrostarr is ok, but I wouldn't spend the money on it as there are many better options on the VC. I wish I hadn't of bought it. It just gets boring really quick.

Ah, I see. Yeah, I mean, it looks cool.. but.. I can see how it might get boring.

slash000 on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ack! I should have mentioned that I already have Super R-Type. Sorry.

IIRC, in the early days of Wii, Super Star Soldier and Soldier Blade were considered the best (of the vertical?) SHMUPs on Wii VC at that time, and the Star Soldier games are actually time limited high-score games. I'm more into trying to beat the game than aiming for a high score, but I'm not opposed to it. The time limit part of it does, though. Is Soldier Blade also similar like that?

Maybe I should not consider horizontal SHMUPs for now. I do still have quite a bit of Blast Works to work though. :lol:

(sigh) If only UN Squadron could appear on VC.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Pilotwings in euroland. Should I buy? (in a few weeks, when I'm not ass raped by debt?)

Raybies666 on
    Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I loved Pilotwings on the SNES, but I don't know if it would stand the test of time.

SteevL on
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Aug. 24, 2009

Nintendo Download

Jedi Battles, Marvelous Bubbles and Frantic Underground Action

Faraway galaxies and otherworldly fun are within easy reach, thanks to the latest downloadable game offerings from Nintendo. If the recent Virtual Console™ debut of Super Star Wars™ had you cheering, you’ll be doubly pleased to see its action-packed sequel in this week’s lineup. Speaking of sequels, you’ll also find a new WiiWare™ title that puts a fresh spin on an “underground” favorite. Meanwhile, Nintendo DSiWare™ fans will discover a puzzle game that truly pops.

Virtual Console

Super Empire Strikes Back™
    Original platform: Super NES™
    Publisher: LucasArts
    Players: 1
    ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) – Fantasy Violence
    Price: 800 Wii Points
    Description: Pursued across the galaxy, Rebel forces now marshal new strength on the remote ice world of Hoth. Though tracked by probe droids, attacked by ice monsters and confronted by an army of gigantic Imperial Walkers, you must not give in. You are the Alliance’s only hope. Learn the ways of the Force, then test your skills in this fast-paced, action-packed sequel to the hit game Super Star Wars.

WiiWare

Mr. DRILLER® W
    Publisher: NBGI
    ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) – Comic Mischief
    Price: 800 Wii Points™
    Description: Mr. Driller W is the newly updated version of the exciting game that challenges players with level upon level of frantic underground drilling action. Experience more than 20 varied stages and missions. Drill through a seemingly endless onslaught of colored blocks while avoiding falling obstacles and strategically managing your air supply. Multiple degrees of difficulty now challenge everyone from novices to hardcore Mr. Driller veterans. A tutorial will even help first-time players learn the rules quickly and easily. Vibrant graphics, engaging game play and loads of characters make this a modern twist on a gaming masterpiece.

Nintendo DSiWare

Pop+ Solo™
    Publisher: Nnooo
    ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
    Price: 500 Nintendo DSi Points™
    Description: Pop bubbles, build chains and try to keep the timer alive in this awesome puzzle/shooter. Pop your way through 16 waves of bubbles in Adventure, Normal or Advanced modes. Race against the clock in a one-, two- or five-minute run. Try the new Bonus Round mode, where each bonus round can be played in three, five or 10 rounds of increasing difficulty. Or just chill out in the relaxing Chill mode with no score or time pressures to worry about. Pop+ Solo comes to the Nintendo DSi™ system with eight modes and five bonus rounds, plus plenty of new badges to collect. Adventure mode introduces some new elements to the game with mines, golden fish, jets of water and four boss battles. The new Challenge mode lets you create and customize your own challenges to play again and again.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    HOLY SNAP MR DRILLER

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I want Mr. Driller. I didn't even know they were releasing a new one.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh wow, another Star Wars game. Is this a sign?

urahonky on
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ah yes, Super Empire. Dare I say it was one of the finest games on the SNES? I don't know, but I certainly played through it a lot. Good times.

Anyone know when Square will be releasing the next few parts of FFIV: The After Years? It's been over a month without any new installments, and I've been waiting for more content before I pick it up.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    urahonky wrote: »

No. Lucasarts said two weeks ago that all three "Super" games were coming to VC.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Swords and Soldiers is surprisingly very solid. It can be a bit 'clusterfuck' at times, but you get used to it the more you play. It also gets quite challenging.

I laughed pretty hard at some of the references in the game. The Mr T one was hilarious.

Rotam on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

No. Lucasarts said two weeks ago that all three "Super" games were coming to VC.

Why you gotta call me out on this?

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Why you gotta call me out on this?

Because it's in the opening post of this thread.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Bah. Who reads the first post anyway?

urahonky on
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    LostWinds: Winter of Melodias announced!

n1tisz.jpg

- new game mechanic: switch seasons from Summer to Winter to solve puzzles
    - Toku can now swim
    - create cyclones that can drill through rocks and lift up water
    - new map system
    - new in-game hint system

Lost Winds is still one of the best games on WiiWare, and even though we knew a sequel was coming, the actual announcement is still great news! I hope they can pull off the seasons system in an interesting way though, but it's not entirely without precedent. Both Dewy's Adventure for the Wii and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons used a similar mechanic.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    hey cool

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Right on. This reminds me I should buy that other game by these guys...Nyxquest or something? Shit I should look it up.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    hyperpowerhyperpower Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So has the new contra/probotector been given a release date yet?

hyperpower on
  • Options
    RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    New Lost winds?

YES

Rotam on
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Right on. This reminds me I should buy that other game by these guys...Nyxquest or something? Shit I should look it up.

Nyxquest: Kindred Spirits

It's not actually by the same guys, but they both control in a very similar way. Nyxquest is more action oriented though.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    hyperpower wrote: »

WHAT? How did I not hear about this? *goes straight to wikipedia*

EDIT: just back from wiki and youtube, seems to be Contra III: part 2. I like Contra, but I love Contra III, so consider me happy.

Raybies666 on
    Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Raybies666 wrote: »
    hyperpower wrote: »

WHAT? How did I not hear about this? *goes straight to wikipedia*

EDIT: just back from wiki and youtube, seems to be Contra III: part 2. I like Contra, but I love Contra III, so consider me happy.

Yeah basically. The game itself is "Contra Rebirth," but they're definitely shootin' for the the Contra III vibe.

WHICH IS AWESOME

seriously I'm excited for that.

Also I LOVED contra 4.

slash000 on
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hell yea, bring on Contra Rebirth! I'm thrilled they went with a more Genesis/arcade FM-sounding music selection. I can't wait to get slaughtered with a buddy.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Why exactly is the Genesis version of EWJ available instead of the SNES version?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It happens to be one of the few cases where the Genesis version is definitively better, so don't sweat it.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It happens to be one of the few cases where the Genesis version is definitively better, so don't sweat it.

I could have sworn the SNES had a couple extra flourishes and in general more color in EWJ.

Maybe I was wrong.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I could have sworn the SNES had a couple extra flourishes and in general more color in EWJ.

Maybe I was wrong.

99% of the SNES versions have generally more color than their Genesis counterparts. EWJ is one of them, but they removed a level in the SNES version.

RockinX on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=19778
    NINTENDO DOWNLOAD: PIRATES, PUZZLES, RATTLERS AND ROLE-PLAYING

Aug. 31, 2009

"All for one and one for all" is an apt way to describe the latest lineup of downloadable games from the Wii™ Shop Channel and Nintendo DSi™ Shop. Each of this week's new titles is a single-player affair, but they're all quite different in genre and style, offering something special for a variety of gaming tastes.

WiiWare™

Tales of Monkey Island: Chapter 2
    Publisher: Telltale Games
    ESRB Rating: E10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) - Alcohol Reference, Cartoon Violence, Mild Language, Suggestive Themes
    Price: 1,000 Wii Points™
    Description: Guybrush's adventures continue on the high seas as pox-plagued pirates lay siege to the innocent Mer-People. Between defending the Mer-People and dodging the persistent pirate hunter hot on his trail, Guybrush manages to catch up to his beloved wife and despised arch-nemesis, but the reunion is short-lived. Now Guybrush must focus on eradicating the Pox of LeChuck before more harm can be done. And as the Mighty Pirate draws closer to a cure, the waters will only grow murkier in this thrilling chapter of the epic saga.

3-2-1, Rattle Battle!
    Publisher: Tecmo
    ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Comic Mischief
    Price: 500 Wii Points
    Description: 3-2-1, Rattle Battle! is a party game packed with exciting mini-games. Intuitive controls mean that anyone can enjoy playing - just grab the Wii Remote™ and shake it to "rattle." Great fun for single players, but the party really gets started when you register high scores on Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection to see how you measure up against players from around the globe.

Virtual Console™

Phantasy Star™
    Original platform: SEGA Master System
    Publisher: SEGA
    ESRB Rating: E (Everyone 10 and Older) - Animated Blood, Mild Fantasy Violence
    Price: 500 Wii Points
    Description: Originally released on the SEGA Master System, Phantasy Star is a pioneer in the role-playing game genre. Alis is the fearless female protagonist out to avenge her brother's death at the hands of cruel dictator King Lassic. Players must guide Alis and her troops through the sprawling environments of the Agol solar system in an attempt to defeat King Lassic and liberate the people of Agol. Engage in dynamic turn-based combat with dragons, ghouls, giants and magicians by using unique weapons such as glowing daggers, crossbows and magic spells.

Nintendo DSiWare™

Puzzle League™ Express
    Publisher: Nintendo
    ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
    Price: 500 Nintendo DSi Points™
    Description: The ever-popular Puzzle League comes to Nintendo DSiWare. As it is with all good puzzlers, the concept is simple: Connect blocks of the same color to clear them from the screen and prevent your stack from becoming too high. There are four single-player modes to choose from: Endless (survive to earn a top score), Clear (eliminate all blocks above the line), Score Attack (score as high as possible in two minutes) and Vs. COM (use items and combos to attack a computer opponent). You can choose from a variety of background music to help get you in the zone, and even play in horizontal or vertical mode by holding the Nintendo DSi system normally or like a book. Whichever way you play, you're guaranteed maximum fun.

I've alwasy been curious about the Phantasy Star series, but I thought the originals were already on VC weren't they?

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    2-4 are, not the first game which was on the original Master System.

Monkey Island is the highlight this week, as I already own the first phantasy star on the 360 Genesis set.

Hopefully we get Earthworm Jim 2 soon like Japan just got.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Huh, interesting that they didn't release Super RotJ today, after that press release indicated that all of them would be out in August...

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This might deserve a thread of it's own, but I just want to say that the Wii Internet Channel has been updated with a new version of Flash and has been made completely free.

Peewi on