Options

[Wii Shop] 8/10 - Super Star Wars, NyxQuest, Rock N' Roll Climber, Brain Age Express

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    This might deserve a thread of it's own, but I just want to say that the Wii Internet Channel has been updated with a new version of Flash and has been made completely free.

Yep! And for those interested, there actually is a thread about it here.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hudson bringing two more games to WiiWare. Bomberman and Bonk return!

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=95173

Bomberman Live: Battlefest

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=95172

Bonk: Brink of Extinction

Can't wait for more Bonk. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    OverlordOverlord Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Nice. I've been debating whether to get Bomberman Blast or not but now I'll just wait.

Overlord on
    sigsh.gif
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Phantasy Star, huh?

urahonky on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Hudson bringing two more games to WiiWare. Bomberman and Bonk return!

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=95173

Bomberman Live: Battlefest

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=95172

Bonk: Brink of Extinction

Can't wait for more Bonk. :D

Haha, oh man. WiiWare is so awesome.

slash000 on
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Official announcement on LostWinds 2
    Frontier today revealed LostWinds®: Winter of the Melodias, the follow-up to last year’s best selling, award-winning WiiWare™ launch title LostWinds. This all-new game is packed with intuitive new gameplay mechanics and feels as fresh and compelling as the original.

The power of the wind is once again in the palm of your hand as you wield your Wii Remote™ to use the elemental powers of Enril the Wind Spirit to protect and guide the young boy Toku - power his jumps and glides, suspend and smash new enemies, and explore all-new expanses of the stunningly presented, magical land of Mistralis as you experience Toku and Enril’s new adventure to save Toku’s mother, lift an ancient Curse and thwart the evil Balasar.

Players are able to instantly transform Mistralis between Summer and Winter, harnessing the brilliance of nature: frozen Winter ponds and waterfalls become deep, teeming Summer pools and chambers in which to dive and unlock secrets, enemies can be frozen or doused, and the very air itself used to form snowballs or moisture-laden clouds. Other amazing new abilities include the cyclone, which can be used to transport Toku, smash powerful enemies and even drill through the rocks of the Mistralis’ diverse, richly interactive Chilling Peaks and Melodia City areas.

“LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias will delight both new and returning players.” said David Braben, Chairman and Founder of Frontier “Every aspect has been extended and polished, and the major new gameplay elements dovetail perfectly to give a fantastically rich, fun, innovative experience.”

With production values to match the very best Nintendo Wii system disc titles, LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias will be available to download directly to the living rooms of millions of families in Europe and The Americas exclusively via Nintendo’s WiiWare service.

Pricing and release date to be announced. WiiWare is accessible through the Nintendo Wii system.

See http://lostwinds.frontier.co.uk for more details including video footage, screenshots and registration for priority information on the game’s launch and exclusive content.

TRAILER

lostwinds-winter-of-the-melodias-1-wii_001.jpg_718.jpg
    lostwinds-winter-of-the-melodias-1-wii_008.jpg_718.jpg
    lostwinds-winter-of-the-melodias-1-wii_006.jpg_718.jpg

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=95258

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!

Bit.Trip: Void announced for WiiWare!

Yay, the further adventures of Commander Video! I can't wait for another hardcore whooping! :D

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    toxk_02 wrote: »
    Official announcement on LostWinds 2

That teaser was great, even though it was 30 seconds of titles and only 30 seconds of actual video. I forgot just how much I loved LostWinds, think I'll have to replay it soon.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!

Yay, the further adventures of Commander Video! I can't wait for another hardcore whooping! :D

I came here to post about this, but since you got that covered I'll just post the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz9xwa39DHQ

I still haven't beaten Beat or Core. Not sure if I ever will. But these games are awesome.

SteevL on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I want I want. Looks like it has a tinge of Ikaruga, which is fucking awesome.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wow, they keep making a good thing better.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Contra: Rebirth FINALLY debuts on Sept. 7.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I wasn't feeling NyxQuest at first, but I put some more time into it last night and everying clicked for me. I'm about two hours in and I think three or four levels from the end (just finished the world with the giant eye in the background), and it's really hitting its stride. A very well-put-together game; it feels almost Metroid-y in how you gradually earn more powers and abilities that expand your platforming. I'm liking it a lot but am just sad I think I'm near the end already. :(

I might scope out LostWinds once I get more points (the original). And the new Bit.Trip looks awesome, but I still haven't gotten the second one.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I need to buy a point card for Contra and finally buy Bit.Trip: Core.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man, fuck that I bought Bomberman Blast for 10$ and less than a year later Hudson is going to put a new one out.

There shouldn't be more than one online-enabled Bomberman on WiiWare. That blows.

Hockey Johnston on
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Would they ever do a Plants vs. Zombies WiiWare game?

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Would they ever do a Plants vs. Zombies WiiWare game?

It's very possible; it's coming to XBLA and iPhone at some point, so PopCap is open to bringing it to everyone.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Popcap said in interviews that they are interested in WiiWare, and they always go where money lies.

I would think at some point WiiWare will get it.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Fantastic day for WiiWare/VC....we get Super Return of the Jedi and Contra Rebirth! :D

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    SteevL wrote: »

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!

I came here to post about this, but since you got that covered I'll just post the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz9xwa39DHQ

I still haven't beaten Beat or Core. Not sure if I ever will. But these games are awesome.

The last level looks insane. I can't even get through wave 2 of Beat.

Saddler on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Fantastic day for WiiWare/VC....we get Super Return of the Jedi and Contra Rebirth! :D

I just might have to check out Contra Rebirth.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Definitely picking up Contra today, and which of the Bit.Trip games would you guys say is the best one? I've been meaning to pick those up and Void looks super fun but I haven't played Beat or Core yet

Niceguyeddie616 on
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Will grab contra later, any reviews for it?

psychotix on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Definitely picking up Contra today, and which of the Bit.Trip games would you guys say is the best one? I've been meaning to pick those up and Void looks super fun but I haven't played Beat or Core yet

Haven't bought Core yet, but Bit.Trip Beat is awesome and brutal.

@ Psychotix: http://wiiware.nintendolife.com/reviews/2009/09/contra_rebirth

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Contra! I've had points waiting for this for months. It's apparently only 5 levels, but that seems fine for 10 bucks. Tough as nails of course, and once you beat Hard Mode, it unlocks Nightmare difficulty where every enemy you kill leaves a projectile that flies at you. Damn. Can't wait to get home!

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    edited September 2009

I can't say I prefer one over the other because they're both pretty damn good. Core improved on some UI stuff, like showing how far you are into the level and stuff like that.

Basically, do you prefer pong-style games or rhythm-style games? Beat is the former, Core is the latter. Kinda.

And I went to buy Contra Rebirth just now and found out I had 900 points. Don't really feel like adding more points yet.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Contra! I've had points waiting for this for months. It's apparently only 5 levels, but that seems fine for 10 bucks. Tough as nails of course, and once you beat Hard Mode, it unlocks Nightmare difficulty where every enemy you kill leaves a projectile that flies at you. Damn. Can't wait to get home!

Yeah, only five levels, but actually quite difficult even on Normal which is a far cry from games nowadays where normal is basically very easy mode. On normal at least, they give you infinite continues, and boy did I have to use a ton of them.

Also one great thing is one of the character's you unlock (his name is Plissken haha), when you die and come back he says, "Let's attack aggressively!". Classic.

TelMarine on
  • Options
    TechRatTechRat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    TelMarine wrote: »

Yeah, only five levels, but actually quite difficult even on Normal which is a far cry from games nowadays where normal is basically very easy mode. On normal at least, they give you infinite continues, and boy did I have to use a ton of them.

It may have only five levels, but Contra 3 only had six (and two of them were those really short overhead stages), so it still is a good length for a Contra game.

TechRat on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    OH SHIT

Contra is out!

I gotta get in on that!

slash000 on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I want to hear some impressions, so you should get on that!!

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    anyone think the explosions get the in way of visiblity? Normal enemies dying take up a good deal of the screen and mask projectiles.

TelMarine on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So I just turned it on for a bit to get a taste. Tried it with the Wii Remote Sideways, which stops you in your tracks while holding the fire button. Screwed me up a ton. I got to the second boss before continuing. I'll plug in the classic controller today and have a "hold" buitton, just like old times. Only 4 guns kind of sucks. I miss the crusher and the machine gun from Contra IV. I guess they're going for simplicity/back to the roots of the franchise.

Can't wait to play 2 players, either. Fuck yeah.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega

• Options
    edited September 2009
    As long as the spread gun is in the game, none of the others matter. :winky:

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So I just turned it on for a bit to get a taste. Tried it with the Wii Remote Sideways, which stops you in your tracks while holding the fire button. Screwed me up a ton. I got to the second boss before continuing. I'll plug in the classic controller today and have a "hold" buitton, just like old times. Only 4 guns kind of sucks. I miss the crusher and the machine gun from Contra IV. I guess they're going for simplicity/back to the roots of the franchise.

Can't wait to play 2 players, either. Fuck yeah.

In most games how many guns did you really use? In Contra Spread/laser, Super C Spread/Laser, Contra 3 Flame/Crush, ect. And a lot of the guns were duplicates in some sense. IE spread/homing pretty much serve the same use and it doesn't matter which you carry. Ditto for laser/crush. Fire has sucked balls in all the games other then C3 in which it was flat out abusive.

Once you had the ability to stack weapons it turned into 1x spray and pray, 1x high damage. If your aim was bad 2x spray and pray, or if good 2x high damage.

I'd like to see them bring back CIII's flamer though :winky:

psychotix on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The flame has sucked in all except 3, for sure. It's just a shame that the only gun worth using in Rebirth seems to be the Spreader so far (I haven't played it much just yet). In 3 you could get away with using Crusher, Laser, Flame or Spreader and do well, with different strategies depending on what you use. Also, the ability to power up your weapon by getting multiple pods was cool in Contra IV.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Can you use a GameCube controller to play?

RockinX on
  • Options
    Tails CorraTails Corra Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Acctually, I liked using the Flame weapon in Super C.

Something I had only learned about recently is if you hold down the B button, the shot will charge up and will cause more damage on impact, as well as burst in eight directions instead of four. The increased damage is probably comparable to the laser if not moreso.

I'm still more of a fan of the laser, but in Super C the flame is a close second choice.

Tails Corra on
    Wii FC: 4136 3615 8283 3576
    Brawl: 3265 4738 2973
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The flame has sucked in all except 3, for sure. It's just a shame that the only gun worth using in Rebirth seems to be the Spreader so far (I haven't played it much just yet). In 3 you could get away with using Crusher, Laser, Flame or Spreader and do well, with different strategies depending on what you use. Also, the ability to power up your weapon by getting multiple pods was cool in Contra IV.

TBH I found multiple pods to be rather stupid, but to each their own.

3 was the most forgiving in that you could use any of the guns and clear the game. But flame/crush were just over powered as all hell.

3 is still my favorite though, dual flame spin jumps remain awesome. Though it is way to easy.

psychotix on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I guess I'll post this here too.

Castlevania ReBirth coming to WiiWare.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    SteevL wrote: »
    I guess I'll post this here too.