Options

[Wii Shop] 8/10 - Super Star Wars, NyxQuest, Rock N' Roll Climber, Brain Age Express

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What's new for today guys?

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=20152

Art Academy™: Second Semester
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Players: 1
    ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
    Price: 800 Nintendo DSi Points
    Description: Art Academy is a portable art course that anyone can enjoy. Art Academy: Second Semester provides new and returning students with a larger set of tools and in-depth lessons designed to encourage the creation of more complex artwork. By gaining an even deeper understanding of colors and techniques used by famous impressionist artists, you will be ready to take on more challenging themes that include moving objects, and vast landscapes with distant objects. The openness of Free Paint mode offers plenty of opportunities to hone your skills and boost your confidence as an artist.

DRAGON QUEST® WARS™
    Publisher: SQUARE ENIX
    Players: 1-4
    ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Mild Cartoon Violence, Mild Language
    Price: 500 Nintendo DSi Points
    Description: DRAGON QUEST WARS is a grid-based strategy game featuring all of your favorite quirky DRAGON QUEST monsters. Choose from several modes and get ready for battle. While the rules are simple, strategy is the key to victory. The game features single-player and DS Wireless Play, as well as battles with foes worldwide via Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection. (Broadband Internet access is required for online play.)

WiiWare

ARKANOID Plus!
    Publisher: TAITO
    Players: 1-2
    ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Mild Fantasy Violence
    Price: 600 Wii Points™
    Description: ARKANOID Plus! is an updated version of the original arcade blockbuster. Players must destroy colored blocks by guiding an Energy Ball around the screen using a spaceship called a VAUS. The game features a host of new modes and settings that radically alter the experience: Arcade Mode consists of 61 rounds divided into left and right versions, with two types of boss characters appearing in the last round; VS Mode lets players face off against a friend or the CPU; and the unfailingly frantic Time Mode challenges players to clear rounds within a strict time limit. With the subtle differences arising from the choice of "Lives" or "Barrier" rules, plus a plethora of exciting items, you're in for hours and hours of block-busting fun.

DRiiFT Mania
    Publisher: Konami Digital Entertainment
    Players: 1-8
    ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Comic Mischief
    Price: 800 Wii Points
    Description: DRiiFT Mania is the ultimate top-down multiplayer racing experience. Challenge your friends in fast, exciting races and some totally crazy game modes. You'll need to adapt your driving skills to the different racing environments if you want to succeed.

Virtual Console

Altered Beast™
    Publisher: SEGA
    Players: 1-2
    ESRB Rating: E10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) - Fantasy Violence
    Price: 1,000 Wii Points
    Description: "Rise from your grave!" When legendary Greek god Zeus brings you back to life with those famous words, you set forth on a mission to rescue his daughter, Athena, from the wicked God of the Underworld, Neff. To survive the gauntlet of mythological foes, you must hunt down the three-headed wolves that inhabit each stage and collect the Spirit Balls that they release. The Spirit Balls increase your strength and allow you to transform into a variety of forms, including a Werewolf, Weredragon, Werebear, Weretiger and the ultimate form, the Golden Werewolf. Each creature possesses powerful attacks to help bring an end to Neff's scheme.

Definitely some good ones today. Driift Mania and Dragon Quest Wars are ones I'll pick up (eventually) for sure.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Woo, Arkanoid Plus....I want that one really badly.

VC Arcade seems to be wielding some great additions to the service.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hmmmm....Arkanoid Plus. Maybe.

How much better is the Arcade Altered Beast over the Genesis version?

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    Lightor216Lightor216 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

It's much better than the genesis version. But it's still Altered Beast so it's still terrible.

Lightor216 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Lightor216 wrote: »

It's much better than the genesis version. But it's still Altered Beast so it's still terrible.

Yea, nothing can actually make it a good game.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I was just checking about DriftMania, and it looks pretty fun. Sort of like the classic Off Road games, in the way it plays and the angle the gameplay works.

I'll be waiting for a review, and if the multi works well, I may grab it for only 800 pts.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ack... it's a week away now, I'm nervous! =)

Also, Driift Mania looks like an absolute blast! That Super Off-Road perspective was the only kind of racing game I ever really could get into. There was another one like it, but its name eludes me... it predated Off-Road I think, and was on a real track and not dirt tracks. I put so many quarters into that game. I feel dumb that I can't remember its name now. =) But I think I'm going to snag a copy of Driift Mania for sure.

EDIT: Also, oy... they beat us by a week on the 8 player concept. Bah. =(

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    http://wiiware.nintendolife.com/reviews/2009/08/driift_mania

Drift Mania review: 7/10, they said it's pretty fun and better with multiplayer.

Tell me this doesn't scream "Off Road Homage."

Woo...I'll be buying this and Arkanoid together soon. :D

edit: just look at the review...all the photos are there. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    hot link image is not working

slash000 on
  • Options
    hyperpowerhyperpower Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So does anyone know if contra rebirth is available in Australia?

hyperpower on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So... just as a heads up, I found out while at work today (my day job that is, which isn't working on games sadly =) )... I don't know how much I'm allowed to say, but basically we forgot to give Nintendo something important, and apparently they didn't realize we hadn't given it to them either until just this morning. As a result, they can't release us on Monday.

We were told it could be next week or the week after... I'll try to get more info as soon as I get the O.K., as I don't know at the moment if we could get in trouble if we say too much about the back-and-forth. =(

But yeah... so in summation, it's not coming out on the 5th. I'm definitely bummed, because the waiting has been giving me enough anxiety... I'm not looking forward to another week to two weeks of more anxiety. =( I'm going to double check with the guys and see if there could be anything else that we're possibly missing at all, because I thought we had it all in weeks ago. =(

VThornheart on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sorry to hear it man. Hope you guys are able to work it out and get your game out as soon as possible.

slash000 on
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ack... it's a week away now, I'm nervous! =)

Also, Driift Mania looks like an absolute blast! That Super Off-Road perspective was the only kind of racing game I ever really could get into. There was another one like it, but its name eludes me... it predated Off-Road I think, and was on a real track and not dirt tracks. I put so many quarters into that game. I feel dumb that I can't remember its name now. =) But I think I'm going to snag a copy of Driift Mania for sure.

EDIT: Also, oy... they beat us by a week on the 8 player concept. Bah. =(
    Are you talking about Danny Sullivan's Indy Heat? I loved that game (especially on NES)!

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Oh nay, though I'm going to have to look that one up! I think the one I really liked was "Super Sprint" after looking for it a bit on the 'net. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ok guys, Monday role call!

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
  • Options
    brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    good morning! at work away from wii, please tell me cave story is up for christ sake!

brokecracker on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    FF1. :)

Don't be messing with me now.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »
    FF1. :)

Don't be messing with me now.

He's not.
    NINTENDO DOWNLOAD: DISCOVER NEW WORLDS, HIDDEN WORDS AND THE FIRST FINAL FANTASY

Oct. 5, 2009

Fans of the legendary FINAL FANTASY® series should be especially pleased with this week's downloadable game lineup. Making its Virtual Console™ debut is the original FINAL FANTASY, an NES™ classic that can now be enjoyed on the Wii™ system for the very first time. For hand-held gaming action with a sci-fi twist, this week's new Nintendo DSiWare™ title, Thorium Wars™, lets you take control of an arsenal of vehicles to blast through waves of enemies in a variety of exotic locations. If it's a more down-to-earth experience you're after, check out an engaging new WiiWare™ puzzle game. Consumers should also note that today is the final day of a special promotion: You can receive 1,000 bonus Nintendo DSi Points™ by purchasing a new Nintendo DSi™ game system and connecting to the Nintendo DSi Shop by 11:59 p.m. Pacific time on Oct. 5, 2009. For full offer details, please visit DSiOffer.Nintendo.com.

Virtual Console

FINAL FANTASY
    Original platform: NES
    Publisher: SQUARE ENIX
    ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Mild Fantasy Violence
    Price: 500 Wii Points™
    Description: The world lies shrouded in darkness. The winds die. The sea rages. The earth decays. But the people believe in a prophecy, patiently awaiting its fulfillment. "When darkness veils the earth, four Warriors of Light shall come...." After a long journey, four young travelers did at last appear, and in the hand of each was clutched a crystal.

Nintendo DSiWare

Thorium Wars
    Publisher: Big John Games
    ESRB Rating: E10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) - Fantasy Violence
    Price: 1,000 Nintendo DSi Points
    Description: In Thorium Wars, you must stop the Thorions, a super species of Thorium-based machines, from destroying mankind. Blast through waves of Thorions by controlling an arsenal of tanks, skyfighters, hovercrafts, gunboats and starfighters with either the standard or touch-screen controls. In 12 exciting missions, navigate through a variety of combat environments while viewing 360 degrees of the battlefield, fully rendered in 3-D. Toggle between first- and third-person views to destroy the terrifying army of Thorium beasts, from swarms of Redeye Drones to the bone-crushing Manticore Walker. This man-versus-machine battle proves to be the ultimate test for the survival of the fittest.

WiiWare

Word Searcher
    Publisher: Digital Leisure Inc.
    ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
    Price: 500 Wii Points
    Description: You'll need a sharp eye and a quick mind to complete 100 themed word-search puzzles. Word Searcher contains fun words from multiple categories including anatomy, world cities and U.S. presidents. With a huge assortment of subjects to choose from, there's sure to be a puzzle for everyone to enjoy. Help improve your vocabulary, memory and problem-solving skills with these engaging puzzles. Track and try to beat your own play-through times again and again—words are scrambled every time you play.

Nintendo adds new titles to the Nintendo DSi Shop and the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time on Mondays. Users with broadband Internet access can redeem Wii Points or Nintendo DSi Points to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel. Nintendo DSi Points can be purchased in the Nintendo DSi Shop. A Nintendo Points Card™ can be purchased at retail locations. All points from one Nintendo Points Card must be redeemed in either the Nintendo DSi Shop or the Wii Shop Channel. They are not transferable and cannot be divided between the two systems.

Remember that both Wii and Nintendo DSi feature parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit Wii.com or NintendoDSi.com.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Having only played FF1 on the GBA Dawn of Souls remake, I'm tempted....

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Wow, Final Fantasy 1....that's pretty awesome. I really hope they get the rest of the FF games on the service here in the states...namely IV and VI. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The NES FF1 is still the best version, IMO. The other ones have a ton of improvements in UI and gameplay, but they've neutered the difficulty so much that they're pretty dull. Though I guess that highlights how much of a grind the original FF1 really was.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    FF1 was pretty brutal if you didn't grind constantly.

Some of the later dungeons, as well as when you have to fight all four fiends are nearly impossible unless you've spent several hours grinding like mad.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I beat FF1 on the NES once. I had no desire to play it ever again after that, but I did enjoy it.

I played through it again on the GBA, but I knew it would be an easier experience.

SteevL on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I wonder if they've edited it at all.

HERE LIES ERDRICK?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I wonder if they've edited it at all.

HERE LIES ERDRICK?

What does it say in the remakes?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The absolute hands down worst part of the NES FF1—I still like the blocky pixel art in a quaint way, and the music is still pretty good—is buying potions and cures. You can't buy them in bulk, so you have to individually select it and hit A about three times. Multiply that by 99 potions and 99 cures. :( A fucking nightmare waste of time, though it's pretty much mandatory once you get to the Marsh Cave and beyond.

I still remember my mind being blown by the class change. This was the first real RPG I got into; I was terrible at Dragon Warrior and it didn't hook me until later.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ugh...Dragon Warrior, another grind fest RPG of the NES era.

You know what one of my favorite RPGs was for the NES, Crystalis...that game was awesome. :x

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You don't need to spend hours grinding in either FF 1 or DQ 1, but it does make it easier.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Eesh. Another massive time sink that I want. I will not purchase, though, because if I ever manage to put a big enough dent in my backlog that I get to tackle my Wii downloads, Secret of Mana is sitting there untouched, as is a half finished Super Mario RPG. Ugh. 'Tis the season of backlog guilt.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh God... FF1?! I think I have 400 points left.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    The absolute hands down worst part of the NES FF1—I still like the blocky pixel art in a quaint way, and the music is still pretty good—is buying potions and cures. You can't buy them in bulk, so you have to individually select it and hit A about three times. Multiply that by 99 potions and 99 cures. :( A fucking nightmare waste of time, though it's pretty much mandatory once you get to the Marsh Cave and beyond.
    Heal Helms and Heal Staff, my friend.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Eesh. Another massive time sink that I want. I will not purchase, though, because if I ever manage to put a big enough dent in my backlog that I get to tackle my Wii downloads, Secret of Mana is sitting there untouched, as is a half finished Super Mario RPG. Ugh. 'Tis the season of backlog guilt.

You and me sir.. we are brothers.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    NeoElectronautNeoElectronaut __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    I honestly never thought we'd see Final Fantasy on the Virtual Console.

I figured Square would have been satisfied with remaking it until the end of time.

NeoElectronaut on
    faberbanner.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Bah, that second slot for WiiWare releases was going to be us... (sadface) Still no word on when they're going to give us a slot back. =(

Also, I strongly second the motion for having FF VI on Virtual Console! FF I was good for its time, but in my opinion the only Final Fantasy game in the whole series that stands (or will stand, at least of the ones that have come out thus far) the test of time is FF VI.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Also, I strongly second the motion for having FF VI on Virtual Console! FF I was good for its time, but in my opinion the only Final Fantasy game in the whole series that stands (or will stand, at least of the ones that have come out thus far) the test of time is FF VI.
    I maintain that FF3 on the NES is a masterpiece. I get the impression that people found it lacking in the DS remake but seeing what they did with it on the NES hardware is pretty awesome. Battle graphics approaching FF4 quality, a huge soundtrack with lots of themes, the basis of FF5's job system, summons...

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'll definitely concede that, technologically (given the limitations of their time), FF3 was probably the most impressive achievement... you make many good points there, and all are true and valid. =)

But the real meat of what makes an RPG classic - the storyline, characters, etc... - FF6 was unbeatable. I guess I'd call FF3 an accomplishment where I'd call FF6 a masterpiece... but either way, both good in their own right. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    FF IV was originally a NES game, but they scrapped it early on and moved it to a launch period Super Famicom game. Who knows what would have happened if they had kept it as an NES game?

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576