As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Void - An adventure/role-playing/after-life/painting/horror/survival/dating game

• Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Teyar wrote: »
    She also mentions something about the colour that can kill a sister. I cant recall if that ones safer to use in that realm or not...

From what I understand, every Sister has one colour they like and one that harms them. I think if you select the colour while in the room with her there'll be a rattle-snake-like sound as an indicator of their poison. I'm not sure if there's any point or gain from killing them.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bought this game like lightning. Shipping international to those of us in the States who will never see it on our store shelves. =[

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    The LxRThe LxR Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    2Teyar: Thanks! :) One thing about what you said in the Spoiler, though:
    The thing is, that damaging realms is inevitable, you can just lessen the damage by having a lot of Silver in your body, when you revive the trees, using the Sister's "dangerous" Colors (non-favourite, that damage the Sister), try to avoid predators instead of fighting or overfeeding Sisters - that's what damages the realm the most. If you distribute the "load" between different Sisters and their realms - all will be good. But you must have enough Color on you to not die and be strong.
    If you miss anything in the dialogues, you can always read them again in the Journal.

2Zephyr_Fate: Who knows, who knows... :)

The LxR on
    How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
    Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd;

---- Alexander Pope
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well, regardless, the UK dub will probably be better

either way, i'm getting this wonderfully imaginative and creative game

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    TeyarTeyar Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wait, wait, wait. I reduce the predator load if I -distribute- my colour-donating efforts? You've explicitly said elsewhere to focus on one at a time.

Sneaky confusing lying game-maker. Just as devious as the game! *Shakes fist in mock fury.*

:P

Teyar on
    Kick At The Darkness Until It Bleeds Daylight
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    If I can understand this game to its fullest, I imagine getting all 13 endings will take obscene amounts of my time.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So is the only way to get this game to order it off some u.k. website?

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    So is the only way to get this game to order it off some u.k. website?

This is the number one reason why I don't have it. I said it on the official forums, but I'll say it here as well. No digital download (especially during a postal strike, and when the publisher seems to be a bit incompetent) is just not the way to do business any more.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, unless or until Gamersgate puts it up on their site.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    If I can understand this game to its fullest, I imagine getting all 13 endings will take obscene amounts of my time.
    Well, there are 3 types of endings, in which one makes 11 dependent on the Sister you like most, so it's not that bad. And the game's endings are not it's strongest points... (

As for the digital downloads problem — Mamba is working on it. Stuff just doesn't always go right. ;)

2Teyar: No-no-no! Distribute between domains - a domain are the Chambers around one Sister. At the beginning you'll only be able to work in Nameless Sister's domain, but then it's best to grow gardens in Ava's or Uta's domain, as you've already damaged the first one, and don't want to do more damage. (Hope that makes any sense, as it's 5 in the morning here now %) )

The LxR on
    How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
    Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd;

---- Alexander Pope
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ahhhh. So distribute my colour growth in various chambers. That makes sense. Now, I gotta wonder. Do mines cause damage?

But... If just getting through Nameless' domain is enough for damage.. What, four predators dead, only a few glyph casts... There really isnt much manuvering room, is there?

Hrmn. And I've gotten in a fight once or twice. Are these guys supposed to be inexhaustable badasses, or is Mantid especially tough? For some reason he failed to recognize that I had mined both the chambers he recomended, and decided to execute me. It... well, worked. I get the "spinning colour wheel shows current vulnurability", but jesus he's rough. You cant drain the colour globs or he brutally shreds you, too.

Teyar on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Hrmn. And I've gotten in a fight once or twice. Are these guys supposed to be inexhaustable badasses, or is Mantid especially tough? For some reason he failed to recognize that I had mined both the chambers he recomended, and decided to execute me. It... well, worked. I get the "spinning colour wheel shows current vulnurability", but jesus he's rough. You cant drain the colour globs or he brutally shreds you, too.
    It's a bit inobvious, but you're not supposed to gifht anu of them at least until cycle 20 — one of the reasons that you failed the mine quest could be that you haven't collected all the Color. I'd recommend you re-play from an autosave - there should be many, as it is impossible to beat him at this point of the game.

The LxR on

---- Alexander Pope
  • Options
    Turin TurambarTurin Turambar Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have a quest but i don't know how to end it. It seems i have to duel* with Mantid after mining the first two mines (pity, he is a cool guy :P). This is he journal entry

850264d7.jpg

But i go to see Mantid, in his chamber or in another one, and he doesn't say anything and i can't initiate any action.
    *: I think i have to duel him because one of the voices of the sisters (the nameless Sister, i think) said it so when i mined the two mines.

Turin Turambar on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Another doubt. Can you use the summoner (the thing that attracs color with a song or something like that) when you first find one? Because in my case i saw one in a chamber of the second sister (left side) but after the voice-tutorial-sister saying how it works, i tried to use it but it said it was already depleated and i have to wait some cycles. Like an already used tree.

Turin Turambar on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Nope, you're good - Lattice will come into the Void next and give you your next quest.

The LxR on

---- Alexander Pope
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I have to collect all the colour in one or the other mine? Okay. Cept I can only find two spots to mine in each of them... Damn, I'll have to take some time and search.

Teyar on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I think there are three spots in the first two mines. Search well.

Turin Turambar on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    If you still can't find all the mines, check out my post here: http://forum.ice-pick.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=8914 - it's kind of a cheater's way to solve the quest. )

The LxR on

---- Alexander Pope
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Hah. That should help, once I get there again. Hopefully for your exponentially cooler next project, things wont be so obtuse. Theres "Figure it out yourself", which is all fine and dandy, and then theres "fifty square kilomiters of bland surface to search, some of which is muddy coloured already, for a small pulsing glyph."

So, started over. Keep lots of Silver in me while I do stuff, and Violet for cheaper colour costs. Gold for when I donate to the sisters (Does donating do damage, so silver, too? ).

Donate in slow, small chunks untill dialog stops. Diversify my Tree growths along various gardens, making sure not to plant a Sister's favorite colours in her own gardens. (Mines dont count for that, I hope, since thats not under my control.)

Fight nothing, since that just causes more problems. (Why are there like, tons of "attack" glyphs, and not so many utility ones, then, I wonder?)

Teyar on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    OK, looks like I'll need to put a cheats list out at some point. :)

The LxR on

---- Alexander Pope
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The LxR wrote: »
    OK, looks like I'll need to put a cheats list out at some point. :)

I would like a list of cheats. If i am well advanced in the game, i would prefer to cheat a bit and give myself a few color points instead of having to restart the game all over again.

Note: next time put a goddamn difficulty selector (easy/medium/hard) in your games!

Turin Turambar on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »

Read that earlier and apart from some concerns about difficulty, it sounds absolutely brilliant. Must get a new PC.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, that review is bang-on. It really is just that wierd and neccesary. Just... be patient with it. It'll reveal itself slowly, over the course of a couple replays, some trial, some error. I'm on my third try, and I havent even made it a quarter of the way through the "plot", if I'm understanding anything, despite having unlocked almost the whole map at one point.

Teyar on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Jesus effing christ LxR. You guys better design and patch in a mesh that makes Ima not look like she's 14 otherwise your going to have a LOT of pissed off bible-thumpers on your ass the instant this hits the market in the States at large. Art is art, but believe me, just caus you got it past the ERSB dosent mean the south'll let it fly.

Teyar on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Since there are only like 5 people in the US who will play it, I doubt it matters.

Also, it didn't get past the ESRB. It's only been released in the UK.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Oh, it hasnt? That explains a bit... I mean... Jesus. You just know the Jack Thompson types are gonna froth over this when it catches the wind, right? She's in a freaking fair-winged tutu, rolling around ballerina style.

Teyar on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh, it hasnt? That explains a bit... I mean... Jesus. You just know the Jack Thompson types are gonna froth over this when it catches the wind, right? She's in a freaking fair-winged tutu, rolling around ballerina style.

Just call her a 10,000-year-old demon. Good enough for anything coming out of Japan, good enough for the rest of us.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    darleysam wrote: »

Just call her a 10,000-year-old demon. Good enough for anything coming out of Japan, good enough for the rest of us.

I think this is pretty weird even by Japan's standards. The girls are completely naked (except some glittery stuff that floats around their private parts sometimes) and they dance somewhat erotically for you when you give them colour.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The joke works for a one inch sprite. I worry its not going to with a decently rendered, full frontal 3d model, in a game risque enough as it is.

..... On the plus side, it means 4chan'll be all over it, and that'll get them plenty of word of mouth.

Teyar on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Clevinger wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »

I think this is pretty weird even by Japan's standards. The girls are completely naked (except some glittery stuff that floats around their private parts sometimes) and they dance somewhat erotically for you when you give them colour.

Yeah. Ima's standing on a big excersice ball, rolling around like its a dancing bear act. I sort of freaked out and closed the game when I got a good look at her, but... I know from getting one of the sister's to four hearts full, that those glittery things? Go completely away.

But dance is too general... THe one in the smithy rolls around like she's in agony, driven up by the fact that her "chains" are embers of smoke-spewing something. Or Uta just sort of nonchalantly tilts her head the other way, and looks at her arms. Nameless does midair flips, like she's in a swim show. The one at the blimp does calisthenics. And Ava... Hmph. Cleopatra herself would blush.

Teyar on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    http://forum.ice-pick.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9044 — the void cheats here! Got no time to read the messages right now, but will return and reply.

The LxR on

---- Alexander Pope
  • Options
    schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have no idea how I'll find time to play this, but I just sent an email to follow up with Mamba to make sure it's on it's way to me. I honestly expect it to be FAR too difficult for me (I tend to suck at easy games, let alone brutally difficult ones), so perhaps I'll rely upon the cheats a bit if I can't do it any other way, but I just can't help but want to play this game.

schmads on
    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I cannot wait until this game is available for download.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This is the type of game I wish I could play but I know I would either be too scared to move forward or just cheat. By scared I mean both scared of the oppressiveness of such a game and by the fear of failure and frustration.

I can't wait till someone LP's it though :)

InitialDK on
    "I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    2InitialDK: Have you ever tried Call Of Cthulhu: Dark Corner of the Earth? It's a game, in which fear and frustration are part of the experience, and the victory over fear is a reward. In the Void, your enemy is time and the laws of the world - it's not all that scary - except for fear of the unknown. Anyhow, if you're sure you won't enjoy it - just DL the official bonus torrent. :o)

The LxR on

---- Alexander Pope
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I just recieved the mission of killing 2 (or was 3?) more Pangolins, after the first one, in the last Sisters i have to visit. I am on day (cycle) 15-16, and the quest has a limit of day 30. Am i doing it fine?

I am worried of the time limit, i think i wasted some precious time before because somehow i didn't know i can move and zoom in the "inventory" screen, and i didn't saw clearly all my hearts, i had some of the unused!

Turin Turambar on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    2Turin Turambar: You're good! More than that, this quest is non-essential, you can ignore it and build up a war-potential. That's a hint. ;)

The LxR on

---- Alexander Pope
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    they use garage band loops in their songs

laughoutloud

but interesting

Sueve on
  • Options
    InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The LxR wrote: »
    2InitialDK: Have you ever tried Call Of Cthulhu: Dark Corner of the Earth? It's a game, in which fear and frustration are part of the experience, and the victory over fear is a reward. In the Void, your enemy is time and the laws of the world - it's not all that scary - except for fear of the unknown. Anyhow, if you're sure you won't enjoy it - just DL the official bonus torrent. :o)

Oh wow, now I'm kind of embarrassed. To be honest I'm still at work and haven't had a chance to watch the videos of the game but from the few images I've seen it looks beautiful and it does sound intriguiging.
    To be honest I'm not sure I wouldn't enjoy it, in fact I probably would like it. I just fear I would suck at it :)

InitialDK on
    "I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.