As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Void - An adventure/role-playing/after-life/painting/horror/survival/dating game

• Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you have an ATI card, turn off antialliasing. Otherwise:
    Q: I can't find any veins in the mines!
    A: First make sure you don't have the ATI bug here. If you don't have that bug, remember that veins can be anywhere: walls, floors and ceilings, also some veins can be pretty small so keep your eyes open.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    i found one

but what is the extract glyph? where do i get it? i mean, he gave me one glyph but not the next one.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Turin TurambarTurin Turambar Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think one of the Sisters gives you the extract glyph.

Turin Turambar on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    this game is incredibly hard

i want to persist to see the penalty for my ignorance, but i just end up getting closer and closer to horrible death

when you plant some colour in a tree, and then a cycle passes and you harvest it, does harvesting all of it mean the tree grows less during the next cycle? if you leave it be, does it produce more to harvest next time?

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I don't think there is any effect if you left some color in a tree, instead of harvesting all.

Try to give you some extra color using the cheats, thinking as lowering the difficulty from hard to medium XD XD.

Turin Turambar on
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    After, like, a month, my game finally came in the mail. Hooray!

Daemonion on
  • Options
    The LxRThe LxR Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Enjoy ;)

The LxR on
    How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
    Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd;

---- Alexander Pope
  • Options
    sergeminatorsergeminator Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Most of the difficulty of this game comes from ignorance. You don't know the rules of the system (and some of them are really subtle) so the first try is almost impossible. The usual way to play this game is needing a restart. The first try you learn the basics and some of the subleties, the second try is the real one.

I agree. Its very intersting cause I found myself doing the exact same thing that I did decades ago with Super Mario. You play the level as far as you can get, then you screw it up, then go back all the way and try again perfecting everything little by little until its right.

This is by far the best 30 bucks I have spent in a video game in years. If it wasn't for the difficulty I would give it a 10 out of 10, still for inovation, art and the revolutionary gameplay I give it a 9 out of 10. Also with the cheats you can tune down the difficulty so its good.

Everybody should get it! I ordered it from Amazon uk and got it in less than a week here in the US on the release date.

sergeminator on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The LxR -

for the record, I just want to say how awesome it is to have someone who was involved with the creation process put forth as much effort as you have towards maintaining a presence with the community, answering our questions, and all the other stuff that you've done.

It reflects very highly of your entire studio, and I am happy to give you guys my money.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    2Daemonion: Why, thank you. :o)

2sergeminator: That's the whole joy of it - you'll usually screw up once, max twice, but then you'll start thinking faster and in the context. And when you stop screwing up it'll be mega rewarding to feel that you've tricked the game.

Though, once again, we did make the game a tad too difficult.

The LxR on
    How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
    Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd;

---- Alexander Pope
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I just got to the Bastion mine after having a brief conflict with like two Brothers at once (I fed Nameless too much color... so she ripped out one of her hearts for me, and gave me a glyph!), and all the Predators everywhere kinda scare me! Hopefully I'll find the mines before they kill me :(

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    http://forum.ice-pick.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9045 — while I was a bit busy, one of our forum users, made an Easy Patch himself. It's not groundbreakingly easy, though, but it helps. If you're far into the game, I wouldn't advise you to restart.

The LxR on

---- Alexander Pope
  • Options
    SwiftySwifty Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hi All

I got my hands one this one a few days ago and I have been addicted to it ever since. :P
    (Took a while to get it since I'm from south africa)

One thing I can't seem to figure out is how to "animate a spike of rock" to protect my chambers against the brothers. Can anyone give me some pointers?

Thanks all.

Swifty on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    First of all, you need to find a suitable object. For example, in the first garden (Foggy roots) the spike is right near the entrance - turn around, and a tooltip will pop up. Then you just need to put enough Color into it, and the trap will activate.

The LxR on

---- Alexander Pope
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I Asume you are talking about the BIGASS rock formation right above the entrance of the area? If you are, I tried that, do you have to stand at a specific place? And then what do I use as a trap in the sancuary chamber?

Swifty on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    An icon/glyph will appear over the rock/thing to mark that you can put a trap in that object. It looks like a triden or something like that.

Turin Turambar on
  • Options
    mwoodymwoody Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just ducked in here to note a really big fuck-up in the in-game journal: the description for Silver is completely out of left field. It says it increases your chance to do well in "random events," but there aren't really any random events in the game.

In actuality, silver does something extremely important.

Non-spoiler description: any time you draw a glyph or strike an enemy, you want to be as full of silver as possible.

Slight spoiler description (for those who want to include misunderstanding game mechanics as part of the experience):
    Silver decreases the damage you do to a realm each time you use color. Damage leads to more predators and less return from trees in the chambers. This seems to include drawing the donor glyph to feed sisters, which is a huge source of damage.

I can't for the life of me figure out how the mistranslation occurred, or what it's trying to say.

mwoody on
    Steam: mwoody450
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Swifty wrote: »
    Hi All

I got my hands one this one a few days ago and I have been addicted to it ever since. :P
    (Took a while to get it since I'm from south africa)

One thing I can't seem to figure out is how to "animate a spike of rock" to protect my chambers against the brothers. Can anyone give me some pointers?

Thanks all.

First, note that there are only traps in gardens. There's at least one reservation that looks like a garden; pay attention to the chamber names.

Also note that one garden in the game has no trap. It's:
    "Twisp," the one that looks like the first garden except it has a glowing white wire structure in the center and several similarly glowing wire circles around trees.

mwoody on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    this game is incredibly hard

i want to persist to see the penalty for my ignorance, but i just end up getting closer and closer to horrible death

when you plant some colour in a tree, and then a cycle passes and you harvest it, does harvesting all of it mean the tree grows less during the next cycle? if you leave it be, does it produce more to harvest next time?

From some testing I did a while back, it appears that if you leave a tree alone for several cycles (after first charging it), it will grow exponentially. So harvesting for the two cycles after seeding it, for example, will lead to a net loss compared to leaving it alone one cycle and draining it the next.

That's not a direct answer to your question, but it might indicate that leaving color in the tree is generally a good thing.

And a quick warning to those about to try leaving a garden alone for three whole cycles: it does you little good to have a garden with more color than you can carry, about to expire.

mwoody on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I got the trap to work. Thanks guys.

I failed the first test (again, lol. you gotta love'it!) What am I doing wrong? Are you only allowed a certain amount of taboos in between assignments? At the end of the first assignment's 4 cycles, my progress was as follows:

2 hearts opened in the first sister.
    3 viens mined in both mines (bastion and pha****, forgot its name).
    1 heart opened in the elder sister to the right (the owner of bastion)
    Only 2 trees left unseeded in the first garden (Foggy-some-such)
    3 trees seeded in the garden of whaler's sister (owner of bastion)
    NO fire flies gathered.
    Killed quite a few preditors. (also seems to be taboo)
    Given Uta some color, not enough to open a heart though.

At the end of the 4 cycles the Mantid came and owned my ass :-(

PS: What happens if I should own him at this point, however unlikely it may be?

Swifty on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I came here thinking someone had made this. I was disappointed. (in that respect)

Enlong on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    2Swifty: You just need to collect all the color from the mines, not just open them, and all will be fine!

2Enlong: * ROFL *

The LxR on

---- Alexander Pope
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Clevinger wrote: »
    You need to open the game folder, find the data subfolder and create a file named rcfg.xml there. (C:\Program Files\bitcomposer\The Void\Data) Open it in any text editor and write the following code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <Renderer>
      <Width>1680</Width>
      <Height>1050</Height>
      <Antialiasing>3</Antialiasing>
      <Anisotropy>16</Anisotropy>
      <TextureQuality>0</TextureQuality>
      <LightmapQuality>0</LightmapQuality>
      <NoTwoSidedStencil />
      <HDR/>
    </Renderer>

Enter your desired X resolution between the <Width> tags and the Y resolution between the <Height> tags. Other tags are self-explanatory and modify correspondent settings. This configuration will launch the game in 1680x1050 resolution, with 8x antialiasing and 16x anisotropic texture filtering. Texture and lighting quality is at maximum, HDR is turned on.

note: there's a bug regarding mines with ATI cards. disabling anti-alliasing fixes it.

How do I create the .xml file in the folder?

Urian on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    make a new notepad file (right click, New, Text Document). Open it up and copy and paste that code in there, then go to File, Save As, then under the Save as Type option select All Files. Then in the Filename option put in rcfg.xml then save it to the game's Data folder.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    How do I fill the unnamed sisters hearts? God I wish there were tooltips or something for this game..

Urian on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Rub a little color on her with L-Ctrl, this opens up her Camera Obscura. You then use what color you have to draw the Donor Glyph. The longer you hold the glyph, i.e., without unclicking, the more color you give her. You have to give her less color the more Gold is in your Donor Heart. Also, draw it like the jesus fish only with the bottom leg as horizontal as possible. Only have the top curve actually be diagonal.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The LxR wrote: »
    2Swifty: You just need to collect all the color from the mines, not just open them, and all will be fine!
    I did collect all the color from the unnamed sister's mine, but not from bastion, I only got to bastion in the last of the 4 cycles. Could that be it?

When you get the assignement, the brother says pha**** OR Bastion?
    I'll replay the commandments section AGAIN!!!! and try to empty both mines before the 4 cycles.

As a foot note, I opened the 2nd heart of the unnamed sister in the commandments section of the game and not in famine, i.e. after I was told by the mantid not to give her any more color. Could this be why I failed?

Swifty on
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm in trouble. Possible glitch-related, definitely brother-related.

Righto:
    One, after draining the mines, I didn't know that I was to face the Mantid. Once I realised that, I went to meet him in the chamber he occupies in Uta's (at least, I think it's Uta's) general area. He didn't want to talk; that is, when I travelled to his chamber I only got the generic, silent, "I'm standin' here" portrait you usually get when you wander in to a chamber with a resident keeper.

Anyway, I didn't trigger any cutscenes so I went about my merry way. Of course, then the Warden gives me the impossible task of defeating the Pangolin in 5 cycles. I can't beat it; I'm told by the inadvisable advisor that I've got to get the Web glyph from Una's chambers. Okay... but, having no emerald lympha/nervy, I have to take another route, through the sister living in the blimp. There's no way to accomplish all this in 5 cycles; I'm not even sure if the game expects me to be able to accomplish this.

So, 5 cycles come and go and the Warden appears, telling me (in Mantid's voice, for some reason, dunno if it's a glitch) that he's going to throw (me) down. And I've no idea to fight him.
    Any advice?

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Righto:
    One, after draining the mines, I didn't know that I was to face the Mantid. Once I realised that, I went to meet him in the chamber he occupies in Uta's (at least, I think it's Uta's) general area. He didn't want to talk; that is, when I travelled to his chamber I only got the generic, silent, "I'm standin' here" portrait you usually get when you wander in to a chamber with a resident keeper.

Anyway, I didn't trigger any cutscenes so I went about my merry way. Of course, then the Warden gives me the impossible task of defeating the Pangolin in 5 cycles. I can't beat it; I'm told by the inadvisable advisor that I've got to get the Web glyph from Una's chambers. Okay... but, having no emerald lympha/nervy, I have to take another route, through the sister living in the blimp. There's no way to accomplish all this in 5 cycles; I'm not even sure if the game expects me to be able to accomplish this.

So, 5 cycles come and go and the Warden appears, telling me (in Mantid's voice, for some reason, dunno if it's a glitch) that he's going to throw (me) down. And I've no idea to fight him.
    Any advice?

if you don't have the emerald/amber necessary, then you'll have to reload an earlier save and make sure you get it in time

this is why the game is hard

or, use one of the cheats.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    And now I feel like I've let down Carl Sagan. Brilliant.

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Righto:

Any advice?
    Kill the fucker. They told you straight up that their tasks were meant to be impossible.

mwoody on
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    mwoody wrote: »

Righto:

Any advice?
    Kill the fucker. They told you straight up that their tasks were meant to be impossible.
    The Pangolin is killable without cheating, FYI. And I'm pretty sure that you can survive losing a fight with a Brother, you'll just lose all your lympha, nerva and be left with a teeny bit of Silver in your heart and tossed back into the Void.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Fuck it, I'll start again. Thanks anway, chaps.

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Swifty wrote: »
    The LxR wrote: »
    I did collect all the color from the unnamed sister's mine, but not from bastion, I only got to bastion in the last of the 4 cycles. Could that be it?

When you get the assignement, the brother says pha**** OR Bastion?
    I'll replay the commandments section AGAIN!!!! and try to empty both mines before the 4 cycles.

As a foot note, I opened the 2nd heart of the unnamed sister in the commandments section of the game and not in famine, i.e. after I was told by the mantid not to give her any more color. Could this be why I failed?

Anyone care to give me some feedback on my problem?

Swifty on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    You have to go to both the Mine that is near the Nameless sister, and the one near Asa? Uta? I can't remember. The one that is immediately up and right from where Nameless is.

Mantid wants you to harvest both of those mines. Also, make sure you actually have the Extract glyph, which you get by taking the left path to the other Sister, and filling one of her Hearts.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    No head-bobbing patch
    For those of you with motion sickness, Halfgild Wynac made a no head bobbing patch. Get it here: http://forum.ice-pick.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9239

The LxR on

---- Alexander Pope
  • Options
    Gar kingGar king Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    how do you fill the trees with color? every time I try nothing happens

Gar king on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    zel999.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Gar king wrote: »
    how do you fill the trees with color? every time I try nothing happens

Open up the tree's Camera Obscura by rubbing color on it with L-Ctrl (that is, hitting the button, selecting a color, and moving the mouse around the tree's trunk while pressing the left mouse button). Then, when in the Camera Obscura, perform the Donor glyph correctly.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Just got this game. It's awesome. Have a question though, I think I found an easter egg or something. Very early in, but spoiled just in case.
    In the mines, the area to the west of the first sister's chamber, I noticed a small ledge down in the pit with a tunnel. I jumped down onto it and walked into the tunnel, and ended up in a small park with a few lamp posts, a few trees, and a sandbox with some paints in it. I couldn't interact with anything though.

Does that area serve a purpose at all, or is it in fact an easter egg?

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    It's an easter egg for the most part. There are 26 in all. One special one added for the English release, one that is very, very familiar to nearly every gamer on the planet by now.

Zephyr_Fate on