As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Void - An adventure/role-playing/after-life/painting/horror/survival/dating game

12345679»

• Options
    zakkielzakkiel Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm on cycle 28, and the game is really coming together. I think if you

-Toned down the difficulty of some of the brother fights
    -Revealed some key (and unguessable!) facts about how the world works earlier
    -Improved the interface! Seriously, I can think of about five different ways you could make filling and emptying hearts less tedious
    -And had a somewhat less dreary aesthetic

You would have some genuine mass-market appeal. As it is, I really enjoy the clever visual motifs, the gameplay ideas, and the writing. The writing especially is the best I've seen in any game; hat's off for the translation. If you're trying to start the game, I do recommend reading the following, since by the time the Sisters tell you this in game you've often dug yourself into a hell of hole:
    NEVER use a sister's favored colors anywhere in her chambers. This quickly turns a nice garden into a predator-infested wasteland.

Donor does a lot less damage than any other glyph. Attacks do a lot more.

Brothers will harvest plants, but seem to leave everything else alone.

I'm stuck right now trying to rescue a tortured Sister and figuring out how to attack her Brother. He just tells me to bugger off.

zakkiel on
    Account not recoverable. So long.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I just made it into the 10th cycle with large color surplus. I already killed the pangolin and weaken the two other worms. I'm wondering "what next?" as the brothers only bitch at me for opening hearts. Should I start killing them? Or will I mess up the plot?

Also, two things that I've learned that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere before:

Some glyphs (extract and expose) have their costs reduced by violet! It's not just for donor!

It is possible to paint a path through multiple chambers and your travel speed through all them are based on the amount of color you expend. Useful for hauling ass from one side of the void to the other.

Brothers only care if you open a third heart. You're fine to keep opening up the first two. I didn't kill any until the game forced me to much later.

zakkiel on
  • Options
    MeiteronMeiteron Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just made it into the 10th cycle with large color surplus. I already killed the pangolin and weaken the two other worms. I'm wondering "what next?" as the brothers only bitch at me for opening hearts. Should I start killing them? Or will I mess up the plot?

Also, two things that I've learned that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere before:

Some glyphs (extract and expose) have their costs reduced by violet! It's not just for donor!

It is possible to paint a path through multiple chambers and your travel speed through all them are based on the amount of color you expend. Useful for hauling ass from one side of the void to the other.

Ohhhhhhh no. Up until now, a bit past where you are, I was working under the impression that sticking azure in your hearts did this. Have I been doing it wrong?

Ergh, that's a lot of azure gone to waste. Well not waste, but I could have used it better.

Meiteron on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Meiteron wrote: »

Ohhhhhhh no. Up until now, a bit past where you are, I was working under the impression that sticking azure in your hearts did this. Have I been doing it wrong?

Ergh, that's a lot of azure gone to waste. Well not waste, but I could have used it better.

No, azure does do this. I would say azure and silver are far and away the most important colors for most of the game.

zakkiel on
  • Options
    TeyarTeyar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah. A way of having an at-a-glance way of knowing just what the hell I'm DOING, or whats going on, or what the state of things are.... I mean, okay, I get it was a deliberate decision not to have that, but SOME means of information is essential, especially given how MUCH you have to juggle in this game.

Teyar on
    Kick At The Darkness Until It Bleeds Daylight
  • Options
    Captain ActionCaptain Action Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Chamber to chamber travel seems to work like this:

Amount azure in your hearts * amount of color used in marking your path = speed of travel

There seems to be a speed limit too.

Captain Action on
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Teyar wrote: »
    Yeah. A way of having an at-a-glance way of knowing just what the hell I'm DOING, or whats going on, or what the state of things are.... I mean, okay, I get it was a deliberate decision not to have that, but SOME means of information is essential, especially given how MUCH you have to juggle in this game.

You could comb The Void official forums and get your answer, but to be honest, you can find out everything you need to know in the game just by research and testing things.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    OK, this not being able to attack Brothers is driving me nuts. How do I engage them and keep them from killing Sisters? I've tried going to the chambers the Brothers own, I've tried going to the Sister's chamber they're in, nothing.

zakkiel on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Don't feed the Sisters more than two hearts' full of Color.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You have the English/Steam version, right? The original release ("Tension") differed in several respects, one of which was that you couldn't stop a brother from attacking a sister.

If you have the English version, you should be able to go to the sister's chamber and draw the Ordelia glyph on the brother.

I finished this the other night and it's one of the best games I've played this year. The ending was a little unsatisfying - I understand that they couldn't reveal the exact nature of the setting, but I would have liked to see some greater differences based on the player's actions throughout the game.

Squidget0 on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ugh, really annoyed. I did not realise how valuable trees were, so now it looks like I will have to do another restart of the game at cycle 7. When I first realised the basics of growing I thought it would be a good idea to awaken all the trees, so I seeded the entire garden with something like 300 color. That gave me a lot of color to begin with which I processed and used pretty quickly, but I did not realise that this would cripple me in the long run. Five cycles later the trees are still alive but only give 1-2 color each and I have nowhere near enough color to fill the hearts of the new sisters.

It is still a very interesting game, but stuff like this frustrates me.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Vic wrote: »
    Ugh, really annoyed. I did not realise how valuable trees were, so now it looks like I will have to do another restart of the game at cycle 7. When I first realised the basics of growing I thought it would be a good idea to awaken all the trees, so I seeded the entire garden with something like 300 color. That gave me a lot of color to begin with which I processed and used pretty quickly, but I did not realise that this would cripple me in the long run. Five cycles later the trees are still alive but only give 1-2 color each and I have nowhere near enough color to fill the hearts of the new sisters.

You want to focus on seeding trees to their maximum, instead of seeding a lot of trees. You'll get greater returns if you fill a tree, and you'll have the other trees for later on.

Don't forget that fireflys and random drops respawn each cycle, so if you can live out the cycle, there's a good chance you'll get access to more color. The first hearts are small enough that they can be done with fireflies alone, especially if you have some Gold lympha available.

Squidget0 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Squidget0 wrote: »

You want to focus on seeding trees to their maximum, instead of seeding a lot of trees. You'll get greater returns if you fill a tree, and you'll have the other trees for later on.

Don't forget that fireflys and random drops respawn each cycle, so if you can live out the cycle, there's a good chance you'll get access to more color. The first hearts are small enough that they can be done with fireflies alone, especially if you have some Gold lympha available.

I did restart, and I was glad I did. Now that I am more familiar with the mechanics and having recieved some lucky color blooms I have been able to gather quite a supply of the stuff. It is quickly beginning to look like the Pandolin will end that though, and I have only begun the battle.
    When I was battling it and the sister said that its only weakness was from the inside I spent five minutes getting scooped up and chewed on hoping it would swallow me and allow me to blast it from the inside. I felt a bit silly, but I still think it would have been awesome.

It is a funny thing, when I was playing Pathologic I yearned for a kind of fast travel to shorten the endless walks, but now that I am playing a game with it I somehow wish for a more linear experience. I guess that it is more the effort and time needed to manage the game mechanics than the way of travel that is bothering me, so much of the game is dedicated to time management and micromanaging of color growing, conversion and bonus stacking that it detracts a bit from the setting. Still, I am greatly enjoying myself and I fully expect that I will finish the game.

Edit: The game started out with a pretty tight schedule on your actions, each mission having a time limit. Will this continue, or do the time limits ease up allowing you to roam free a bit more?

Oh, and a spoiler question, yes or no will be fine:
    It is heavily hinted that opening a sisters third heart does something rather radical (mention is made of "awakening the murderer". It looks like the sisters have six hearts when looking at their portraits though, is it actually possible to open up all six?

Vic on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Edit: The game started out with a pretty tight schedule on your actions, each mission having a time limit. Will this continue, or do the time limits ease up allowing you to roam free a bit more?

The tasks later in the game are more difficult, but give you much more time. You'll be able to roam a lot more as you figure out how to complete them. They're also largely optional, unlike the earlier missions which are essentially mandatory.
    Vic wrote:
    Oh, and a spoiler question, yes or no will be fine:
    It is heavily hinted that opening a sisters third heart does something rather radical (mention is made of "awakening the murderer". It looks like the sisters have six hearts when looking at their portraits though, is it actually possible to open up all six?
    Not exactly. You can open up the four hearts on the outer circle. Once you've opened those, the inner circle hearts fill up on their own.

Squidget0 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You have the English/Steam version, right? The original release ("Tension") differed in several respects, one of which was that you couldn't stop a brother from attacking a sister.

If you have the English version, you should be able to go to the sister's chamber and draw the Ordelia glyph on the brother.

I finished this the other night and it's one of the best games I've played this year. The ending was a little unsatisfying - I understand that they couldn't reveal the exact nature of the setting, but I would have liked to see some greater differences based on the player's actions throughout the game.

I have the English version. How or where do I get the Ordelia glyph?

zakkiel on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    zakkiel wrote: »

I have the English version. How or where do I get the Ordelia glyph?
    IIRC, you get it during the 18th cycle after a cutscene transports you to the Adit.

Squidget0 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Played until far too late yesterday, and experienced the biggest shock I have had in a game since absolutely forever.
    It was the whale creature. I entered its lair, looked around seeing only the flying buggers, thought "well, fuck that" and was about to leave when I messed up and fell off the ledge. Queue an absolute leviathan shooting up out of the muck to snag one of the bat creatures out of the air right in front of me as I was falling. The shock and awe I felt at that moment was incredible, I rushed into the cave at the bottom and spent a minute or so letting the adrenaline wear off before attemting to trek up to the exit.

More and more of the world is opening up for me, and with it my understanding of it deepens. I still do not have a real purpose though, and no clear goal to strive for. This is a bit frustrating, but mostly intriguing. Maybe it is time to try to open up the mobile sisters...

Vic on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Finished the game today and damn, it was quite a ride. The setting just sucked me in, and though I never felt that strongly connected to the world it did feel really vivid. I also found myself filling in the dialogue of the mute main character during some of the in-game conversation.

In the end I only have two real gripes with the game. Firstly as others have noted I feel like the ending could have been more elaborate and affected by my decisions in the game. Secondly, most of the boss fights were pretty poor. Many were trivial, and the ones that were hard were often the least fun. I still loved the game, but I don't really feel like it has much replayability.

On a smaller note:
    I managed to fuck up one of the sisters realms really bad in the end, and the effects were really spectacular. The vulture creatures lying in wait under plants were horrifying and deadly, and the flying parasites on the trees helped to give a deep feeling of wrongness and danger. I kind of wish that the damage effects on a realm would have occured easier and been reversible, so that you would be forced to either abandon some sections or spend some time and color trying to undo the damage you had done, but then again I can respect that time passed being irreversible as one of the themes of the game.

Vic on
  • Options
    The LxRThe LxR Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dear friends!

We're currently reviving the Pathologic Translation Project. As you may have heard, the English players couldn't enjoy the best part of Pathologic - it's texts - because of a butchered translation. This project is meant to re-do the translation during the free time we have.

We need:

1) Russian-to-English translators. If you're a native English speaker - you're twice as valuable!
    2) Proof-readers and Quality-checkers - there will always be plently of proof-reading and editing to do.
    3) Santa's little helpers - any help iis welcome!

For now, visit the translation forums, and check out what's happening:
    http://ice-pick.com/translate/forum/
    You can also support the project by re-posting a link to this entry!

The LxR on
    How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
    Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd;

---- Alexander Pope
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Good to see that up and going again.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I'm guessing this answers the question I was going to ask, but I'll ask anyway in hopes that I'm wrong. I just started the game, very trippy, I like it. Now I'm in the same boat, I seeded a bunch of trees, thinking I just needed to wake them up. Is there a way to put more juice into a tree after it's alive? They all only give me 1 color. Is there a max I can put into a tree when I first seed it? It seems like I can keep adding color past the max on that bar that shows up.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh, hey. Anyone who hasn't picked up this psycho gem yet, it's 5 bucks on Direct2Drive during their Valentine's sale. Ends the 15th. It's well worth the 5 dollars.

Medium Dave on
  • Options
    MeiteronMeiteron Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I'm guessing this answers the question I was going to ask, but I'll ask anyway in hopes that I'm wrong. I just started the game, very trippy, I like it. Now I'm in the same boat, I seeded a bunch of trees, thinking I just needed to wake them up. Is there a way to put more juice into a tree after it's alive? They all only give me 1 color. Is there a max I can put into a tree when I first seed it? It seems like I can keep adding color past the max on that bar that shows up.

After a tree has been seeded it gives diminishing returns until eventually it gives nothing at all; at this point, you can't use the tree for several cycles until it dies off, at which point you can fill it up again. Also although you can keep adding colour nothing past the tree cap gets used; so if you have a tree that takes 40 colour to max out and you put 100 colour into the glyph, 40 gets taken and 60 remains in your palette.

Here is a very important point: if you've just done something unwise in the Nameless Sister's garden, you're probably fine. The trees there aren't very good even though there are a lot of them, and there are much better gardens out there to use. I'll spoiler this just in case, it's one example of what I'm talking about:
    First example you'll run across is a garden in Ava's (I think? amber/violet sister next to nameless) chamber which has 5 "trees" which give back 100 at first; much more effective. Also, because the game tends to not give you much (if any) amber or violet in the first set of chambers you tend not to use your garden to unlock Ava's anyway.

Here is some further info about an early quest:
    If you can at least survive until you get the quest to get colour from the mines, which happens reasonably soon after the brothers begin to appear, the colour rewards from that should at least keep you alive and give you an opportunity to set up another garden elsewhere.

Once you start getting into the game odds are you'll never go back to the first garden for a very long time, no matter what state you left it in.

Meiteron on
  • Options
    Octopus MelodyOctopus Melody Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh, hey. Anyone who hasn't picked up this psycho gem yet, it's 5 bucks on Direct2Drive during their Valentine's sale. Ends the 15th. It's well worth the 5 dollars.
    Thanks, I just picked this up for 5$. Only played it a little bit so far but it seems really interesting. Weird games are my favorite kind of game.

Octopus Melody on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    There are also a few extremely small trees in Fireflies, if you use up the Nameless Sister's garden and have more you want to plant.

Squidget0 on
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Necro-ing the thread a little bit, but I finally got into this game after picking it up during the Steam holiday sale, and this has to be the best thing I've played so far this year.

Unapologetically difficult, and completely entrancing. This is really PC gaming at its finest.

One of the things I think I really love about it is that it lets you make mistakes. Sometimes huge, gargantuan mistakes that will make the game impossible to complete. Sometimes it misleads you into making mistakes, just to make you feel awful later on.

The design of the brothers is completely unsettling, and the odd acceptance/hatred/tolerance/teaching co-existence thing going on right now in the game is completely fascinating.

Even just the economical management of colour in the world is excellent. Unifying the resources of the game into one 'thing' makes for a lot of interesting choices and tradeoffs. Even just deciding which colour to use to navigate the Void is made meaningful because everything is a drain, either on your ability to survive, your proficiency, or your ability to interact with the world.

Can't wait to get home and see what happens next.

Entriech on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I find it so very intriguing that the ugliest creatures in the game, the most disgusting and horrid and twisted, teach you the most about The Void. The Sisters, on the other hand, love to fuck with your head. Beauty is indeed a trick...

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    For those of you not following the Let's Play thread of the Void on Something Awful - there's an awesome update. (And some teaser screenshots and info from our new game ;) )

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3252510&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=28#post373198149
    (Beware of spoilers, though. Don't watch this if you haven't gotten past the 18 cycle)

The LxR on
    How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
    Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd;

---- Alexander Pope
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I... don't see any teaser info for your new game. I just see pics of The Void.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I... don't see any teaser info for your new game. I just see pics of The Void.

There's a pic of half of something's face and then a pic with a weird design.

one's on this page

and the other's on this page

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I am so fucking excited. I will buy anything Ice Pick Lodge makes.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I am so fucking excited. I will buy anything Ice Pick Lodge makes.

Ditto, at this point. I'm even tempted to go back to have another whack at Pathologic but I am not sure I would be able to endure the endless walking.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    In case anyone still needs it, the Void easy and medium patch has been completed by Throdax, one of the fans. Old saves will not work with this patch.

http://forum.ice-pick.com/viewtopic.php?p=101816#p101816 - get it here.

The LxR on

---- Alexander Pope
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Can I has $5?

It's time to do this up again. 24 hours of insanity! How many millions will buy this?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just bought this, and I love it.

The graphics bring it up to "enjoyable to look at" levels, and holy crap are the translation and voice acting better. The difficulty is a bitch, but I kind of appreciate it. I may have to drop back a ways, which is annoying, but I like that figuring out how to survive is a gameplay element instead of just a tutorial.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    PeeWee1476PeeWee1476 Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Necro!!!

I just picked the game up. I'm basically wondering if I'm experiencing a glitch or not. I have gotten to the point where you meet Uta and Ava. So far in the game, I have still not received a single drop of silver. All of the other colors have shown up. I am doing a lot of damage to chambers by never having any silver available. Also, Uta takes silver as one of her colors and it would help greatly. I have tried reading about the game as much as possible on forums and such, and I can find no indication that silver (or a randomly selected color) is supposed to hold out on you until a certain point in the game. Am I getting seriously screwed here? Thanks to anyone that can help.

PeeWee1476 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    PeeWee1476 wrote: »
    Necro!!!

I just picked the game up. I'm basically wondering if I'm experiencing a glitch or not. I have gotten to the point where you meet Uta and Ava. So far in the game, I have still not received a single drop of silver. All of the other colors have shown up. I am doing a lot of damage to chambers by never having any silver available. Also, Uta takes silver as one of her colors and it would help greatly. I have tried reading about the game as much as possible on forums and such, and I can find no indication that silver (or a randomly selected color) is supposed to hold out on you until a certain point in the game. Am I getting seriously screwed here? Thanks to anyone that can help.

After the first section the colors that spawn are randomized, so it's likely you're just getting RNG-screwed. Proceed as far as you can and you'll probably run across some.

Squidget0 on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    And as a last resort, there are some cheats out there that you can use a bit to survive. It can mess with the tension of the game, but depending on how much time you want to devote, it's a lot better than starting over or reverting to a really old save.

But now that I think about it, I believe silver is unique in that more and more of it shows up as the game goes along. And I think it ties into the story. Though my memory might be wrong.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Killing the
    gravity-whale-things in the raven chamber of Ava

often gives silver for me, which can then be planted.

However, that way lies madness.

Just open the other side a bit and silver will come in time to complete the game.

Or is that the mad thing to do?

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    More Necro?!

So I just died trying to get into the chamber to the left of where you start after I think using too much color on the trees in the right side garden chamber. Hooray! This will require some research.