Options

Champions Online - Open Beta has begun!

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So, for those of you (like me) who live in Canada, just order a digital copy of the game from Gamestop's US site and you will get a headstart code and shit (that's normally not available in Canada)

Pony on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    Archonex wrote: »
    But there wasn't really anything wrong with the old gain ratio. If anything, it should have been boosted slightly in the 13-16/18 range, not nerfed, considering how you start to run out of quests there in Millenium City.

But even then, you can just switch over to that robot cowboy tourist trap, to keep leveling. I'm sure there's a Canada analogue for that area, too, though i've never been there.

Exp works across the board on one set of formula, or you get some pretty nasty surprises when players don't play the way you expect them to. By adjusting the whole curve, specific parts of the curve diverge from the ideal. Then they tweak mission rewards and such to bring things back in line.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    So....I'm finding Force to be hilariously fun. I've been able to solo almost everything (Fuck you, Redstone!) with ease, and I'm pleasantly surprised since I thought it would be my least favorite. It's so awesome.

cr0w on
  • Options
    DuskTwilightDuskTwilight Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'll admit that leveling was pretty damn fast, a little too fast even, but it went with the amount of content so it wasn't so much an issue. This entire time I've been thinking "This reminds me of the WAR open beta. I bet they'll nerf the exp (and powers across the board) right at the end of beta."

DuskTwilight on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    So, for those of you (like me) who live in Canada, just order a digital copy of the game from Gamestop's US site and you will get a headstart code and shit (that's normally not available in Canada)

Woah woah woah woah.

I can do this?

Sooooo doing this.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Lionel-RichieLionel-Richie Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Exp nerfs at the end of beta always end poorly *points at SWG*

Lionel-Richie on
  • Options
    DuskTwilightDuskTwilight Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

It's put me off from buying into it. The fact that they say "this is near where we want it" doesn't bode well. I knew it was coming but I was hoping it wouldn't be this bad.

DuskTwilight on
  • Options
    CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So my freind wants to play this game but he needs a computer. Whats a cheap computer that meets recommended specs? or just cheaper to build it ground up?

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It was already more than possible to run out of even-level (or higher) missions, especially in the twenties and higher, but now it's absurd.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Does anyone know if the gamestop open beta code they send you for pre-ordering also used as the headstart code?

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sonelan wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the gamestop open beta code they send you for pre-ordering also used as the headstart code?
    Yeah it should all be the same preorder code.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

It's put me off from buying into it. The fact that they say "this is near where we want it" doesn't bode well. I knew it was coming but I was hoping it wouldn't be this bad.

Exp already takes a long time in this game, then they nerf it? No thanks. I already wasn't really into this game, thats just the nail in the coffin for me. I'm not quite that grind happy.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sonelan wrote: »
    Yeah it should all be the same preorder code.

Fuck looks like i have to pre-order a second copy.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

Exp already takes a long time in this game, then they nerf it? No thanks. I already wasn't really into this game, thats just the nail in the coffin for me. I'm not quite that grind happy.

You really thought you weren't earning a lot of XP before the changes? This game has had the most effortless leveling I've ever experienced. I didn't have to think about leveling at all. I just completed the missions and each mission gave me enough XP to level up to tackle the next missions. I'm almost level 16 and I've solo'd the whole game. I've died less to missions that recommend two players than to certain monster encounters outside of missions.

It was too easy before. If they make it a little more difficult I don't mind as long as they add more missions so I'm not grinding.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »

You really thought you weren't earning a lot of XP before the changes? This game has had the most effortless leveling I've ever experienced. I didn't have to think about leveling at all. I just completed the missions and each mission gave me enough XP to level up to tackle the next missions. I'm almost level 16 and I've solo'd the whole game. I've died less to missions that recommend two players than to certain monster encounters outside of missions.

It was too easy before. If they make it a little more difficult I don't mind as long as they add more missions so I'm not grinding.
    Yeah absolutely I would get from like 1-10 in literally like 4 minutes. I would not mind the earlier levels taking a bit longer. Hell even at 27 I was getting a level every like 4 missions.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    Lionel-RichieLionel-Richie Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    1-10 in 4 minutes? Hyperbole slightly? It takes way longer than that to finish the tutorial even if you have the hang of it and you only get to 6 there.

Lionel-Richie on
  • Options
    yaysayeryaysayer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I was blissfully happy with the original leveling rate.

yaysayer on
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Gonna preorder tomorrow for the headstart code. Is that the same as my beta code, or do I need to do the secret handshake thing or whatever and ask the counter jockey to grab me the early access code too?

Should I just DL from gamestop's website like Pony said, even though im American?

CangoFett on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I was running out of missions for my level a lot under the old rate.

Nerfing xp gain is, just from hearing about it, a change that makes me dubious. The XP gain from monsters is godawful, and I would prefer it if I never ever had to 'grind'/streetsweep them ever.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I kinda like it the way it was, but if they're going to be raising the bar then they really do need to add some more missions, even if they're just kill X of Y types.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    AkinosAkinos Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This is really all I can say on the topic: I assure you we have no interest in ever making people grind mobs to level.

Akinos on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    CONCEALED CONTENT!

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I don't necessarily think the leveling was too fast. Maybe it was. In any case I wouldn't be against making it more difficult. What I thought was too easy were the missions themselves. As much as I like being able to solo a mission it just feels wrong when I'm taking on two mission critical villains by myself and I'm winning.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't necessarily think the leveling was too fast. Maybe it was. In any case I wouldn't be against making it more difficult. What I thought was too easy were the missions themselves. As much as I like being able to solo a mission it just feels wrong when I'm taking on two mission critical villains by myself and I'm winning.

Well I technially agree with this, I also don't feel that every super-villain ever should require a team to take down. How boring would it be if every issue that Superman had to fight Lex Luthor, he had to call on the entire Justice League to keep him from blowing up the world? I enjoyed the last mission of the tutorial, as well as the last crisis missions that pit you against a super-villain mano-e-mano.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Well I technially agree with this, I also don't feel that every super-villain ever should require a team to take down. How boring would it be if every issue that Superman had to fight Lex Luthor, he had to call on the entire Justice League to keep him from blowing up the world? I enjoyed the last mission of the tutorial, as well as the last crisis missions that pit you against a super-villain mano-e-mano.

That actually felt wrong to me, because Defender needed you to take the guy down. I mean, the tutorial feels like the Champions are powerless against B list goons.

It would feel much more authentic if Defender is diverted before fighting Black Talon to some other critical task. Like the room gets Zergling Rushed and Defender needs to keep them from entering while you fight Black Talon.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Defender actually died when we fought the villain. It was kind of embarrassing.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    or they could have whammied Defender with some plot-flu to make excuses for him getting bitched out by Black Talon.

"I wish I could do more, but my power-suit was struck by a Power Inverter when Black Talon arrived"

Pony on
  • Options
    AtomicDynamoAtomicDynamo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just completed a level 35 mission in canada (i am level 32) the xp bonus for the mission was 12k xp (Thats a mission 3 levels higher then current level) the requirement to go from level 32 to level 33 is 500Kish.... that would require 50+ same level missions (not fedex missions) I don't think there are anywhere close to 50 non fedex level 32 missions in the game care to comment on this Cryptic it doesn't require 50k beta testers to view these numbers

500,000/10,000= 50

can you please comment on the above numbers

Can you please answer also how many days playing around 2 hours a day (slightly more then a casual would play I think) would it take to do 50 missions if said missions were available?

I think a non fedex mission generally takes 15-20 mins each. so that would equal about 35k average xp per play session so 2 weeks of 2 hours per day playing should = 1 level from 32-33 is this the higher level leveling curve you are looking for?

I posted this on the CO forums

AtomicDynamo on
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Just goes to show how Uber we are, when the Champions need to rely on us to get their shit done.

I mean think about it:

In the Tutorial alone:
    Defender gets his ass kicked
    Kinetic gets captured by some mooks
    Foxbat gets his leg trapped

Then in the early going in the game proper:
    Witchcraft gets captured by her level 14 sister
    and all the other Champions are desperately looking for heroes like us to do things they can't get to do themselves.

Let's face it man, the Champions are chumps. Millenium city would be SCREWED if it weren't for us!

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    XaboraXabora Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Akinos wrote: »
    This is really all I can say on the topic: I assure you we have no interest in ever making people grind mobs to level.
    Good to know. :D

Xabora on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Champions Online is basically the episode of Justice League Unlimited where all of the original Justice League members are off saving whole galaxies and the low-level heroes have to do everything. Except here the original Justice League members die.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Akinos wrote: »

Thank you for telling us this, I appreciate it.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MimasMimas Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think some of it is there were a lot of people that griped how in CoX, the Freedom Phalanx were the ultimate heroes, and you never really got out of their shadow. So I think Cryptic tried to make the players feel more like the main heroes in Champions to avoid that perception.

Mimas on
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Xp coming too fast is the last thing anyone should ever complain about in a MMO. The absolute last. I don't enjoy 10 hours between getting new skills, and I don't appreciate slowly working my up to get them. Xp might of been fast, but at least it made it rewarding to play.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, that's cool and all but they still get the screen time in the intro sequences.

"I'm Defender, and this is MY city!" "Yeah, but didn't you stub your toe and go unconscious during the Qular invasion?"

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Neva wrote: »
    Xp coming too fast is the last thing anyone should ever complain about in a MMO. The absolute last. I don't enjoy 10 hours between getting new skills, and I don't appreciate slowly working my up to get them. Xp might of been fast, but at least it made it rewarding to play.

I agree with this. Slow levelling can really kill an MMO experience for me if I don't feel like I'm making adequate progress in the game.

That said, Cryptic stated that the actual 'sweet spot' they foresee in the levelling curse is a bit higher than what they set it to recently in the beta, plus Akinos assured us that they have no intentions of making us grind on mobs to level.

So either they are going to put more quests in, or there are going to be more areas to explore in the release version. Plus from what I've read, you only have to go through the tutorial once in release... all your other characters start out at level 5 or whatever, so you can kick right off with your travel power and get to levelling. This is like a godsend for altoholics like me. :P

After my first couple days of playing this, I was kinda down on it and a bit disappointed. However, after playing pretty much every day this week, trying out different costumes and powersets, I am pretty close to being sold on it. At least, buying the game and seeing how things go for the first month.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, they are doing a great job with the patches so far. The one thing that I hope to see soon besides xp getting buffed a bit is block getting nerfed a lot. Make it drain energy or something, or at least in pvp.

Neva on

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Been playing for about an hour or so. Coming from a background of knowing just about nothing about the game, I am having alot of fun!

Though question: How often do you get power points (or whatever you need to get a new ability)? Is it every 5 levels or something? All I know is that when I hit level 5 and entered the power house, I was able to purchase a single new combat power. If so, that progression seems a tad slow.

Also acrobatics = the best thing.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Been playing for about an hour or so. Coming from a background of knowing just about nothing about the game, I am having alot of fun!

Though question: How often do you get power points (or whatever you need to get a new ability)? Is it every 5 levels or something? All I know is that when I hit level 5 and entered the power house, I was able to purchase a single new combat power. If so, that progression seems a tad slow.

Also acrobatics = the best thing.

Every 3 levels you get a new power. Between those levels you get advantage points {they come 2 to a level, and are used to upgrade powers}, and some stat boosting thing.

Neva on

• Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ah alright. Thats far more reasonable.

Foolish Chaos on
This discussion has been closed.