Options

Champions Online - Open Beta has begun!

1585960616264»

• Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    thats because comics don't have levels and a superhero's power is relative to the plot

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    aeiouyaeiouy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Neva wrote: »
    Xp coming too fast is the last thing anyone should ever complain about in a MMO. The absolute last. I don't enjoy 10 hours between getting new skills, and I don't appreciate slowly working my up to get them. Xp might of been fast, but at least it made it rewarding to play.

That is the central point and draw to these games.

Perhaps this is not the genre for you. But you seriously can't wait 10 hours between getting new skills?

The whole thing about these games for me is the journey and more importantly building and developing my character.

I would be entirely NOT happy with a game that just made me instantly 40 and said pick what skills you want and play on.

Sure someone could make a game like that, but that is not what these games traditionally are.

I don't like to grind either, but the xp curve previously was silly. I think they will continue to tweak it to get it balanced out... but if you are serious about not wanting to wait more than 10 hours for new abilities, you are guaranteed to be disappointed in this and any other MMOG after you get past the early levels.

aeiouy on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    aeiouy wrote: »

Perhaps this is not the genre for you. But you seriously can't wait 10 hours between getting new skills?

No and perhaps people like you hold the genre back from having something other than WoW 2.0. There's no such thing as "That's how it is in X style games" and I fucking hate it when people say retarded crap like that.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    aeiouy wrote: »
    Neva wrote: »
    Xp coming too fast is the last thing anyone should ever complain about in a MMO. The absolute last. I don't enjoy 10 hours between getting new skills, and I don't appreciate slowly working my up to get them. Xp might of been fast, but at least it made it rewarding to play.

The whole thing about these games for me is the journey and more importantly building and developing my character.

I would be entirely NOT happy with a game that just made me instantly 40 and said pick what skills you want and play on.

Sure someone could make a game like that, but that is not what these games traditionally are.

I don't like to grind either, but the xp curve previously was silly. I think they will continue to tweak it to get it balanced out... but if you are serious about not wanting to wait more than 10 hours for new abilities, you are guaranteed to be disappointed in this and any other MMOG after you get past the early levels.

For people who don't make their lives out of MMOs, especially for an MMO that encourages alt making, 10 hours between skills is a really fucking long time. I don't have fun doing errands for very very little progression. That isn't a journey, it's a very slow and tedious walk around the block, over and over again. I don't want to instantly be 40, but I don't want to have to do the same routine over and over again just to get a tiny bit of progress done.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Champions Online is basically the episode of Justice League Unlimited where all of the original Justice League members are off saving whole galaxies and the low-level heroes have to do everything. Except here the original Justice League members die.

I call dibs on being The Question

You have to respect a guy that has no face.

Farangu on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Farangu wrote: »
    Champions Online is basically the episode of Justice League Unlimited where all of the original Justice League members are off saving whole galaxies and the low-level heroes have to do everything. Except here the original Justice League members die.

I prefer the boobed version

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wren wrote: »

Also the no-face thing is a mask.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wren wrote: »

Also the no-face thing is a mask.

Ok

You have to respect a guy that has a no face mask.

Farangu on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man, the leveling was great before the patch. The quest content matched up with my level PERFECTLY. I'd be level 10, do all the level 10 quests in my area, and that would make me level 11. I never once had to grind anything. Everything was soloable, every level could be done completely by questing.

It was AWESOME.

I don't want to grind. I don't want to have to spend ten hours to gain one level. I want a well-paced, FUN sense of progression. I wanted to be able to use all my character slots and actually get everyone to high levels without devoting every moment of my free time. IT really seemed like CO was going to give that to me, but now that aspect has been taken away.

This better be changed back, and fast. Or else they've lost a sale.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    yarrrrrr!!!!!! If i have to grind ill be pissed.

deadlydorito on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    To be honest I hate MMORPGs. I hate grinding, I hate waiting forever to see my character progress noticeably. I usually quit playing two weeks into the game. I want something new in the genre, I don't want every game to conform to a certain standard.

While I'm not about to say that Champions Online will hold my attention for more than a month I think that it combines very exciting and interactive combat with a fast leveling system without any grinding and decent missions that don't always amount to "Kill X" or delivery missions. The character customization before and after you create your hero is also great, of course. I look forward to seeing what I can do next with my character. Instead of feeling dread I feel anticipation of the next power, advantage, talent, etc that I can acquire and how it will change my character. I feel like this character is mine and that I'm invested due to how much control I have over their development. Instead of progressing linearly through a skill tree I have the option of branching out.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    To be honest I hate MMORPGs. I hate grinding, I hate waiting forever to see my character progress noticeably. I usually quit playing two weeks into the game. I want something new in the genre, I don't want every game to conform to a certain standard.

While I'm not about to say that Champions Online will hold my attention for more than a month I think that it combines very exciting and interactive combat with a fast leveling system without any grinding and decent missions that don't always amount to "Kill X" or delivery missions. The character customization before and after you create your hero is also great, of course. I look forward to seeing what I can do next with my character. Instead of feeling dread I feel anticipation of the next power, advantage, talent, etc that I can acquire and how it will change my character. I feel like this character is mine and that I'm invested due to how much control I have over their development. Instead of progressing linearly through a skill tree I have the option of branching out.

Limed for leeching these thoughts from my brain.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    HarlonHarlon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    To try and change the subject a bit, how is this for a tanking build?

I'm interested in trying to get as much mitigation as possible for group combat, while still being able to solo level. I'm also interested in playing as the resilient, bothersome target in a PvP match.

Superstats:
    Level 5: Super Constitution
    Level 13: Super Presence

Powers:
    Level 1: Clobber -- Sucker Punch
    Level 1: Beatdown
    Level 5: Roomsweeper
    Level 5: Teleport
    Level 8: Defiance -- Rank 2, Rank 3
    Level 11: Electric Shield -- Rank 2, Rank 3
    Level 14: Thunderclap -- Rank 2, Challenging Strikes (+aggro), Punch Drunk (Chance to confuse enemies)
    Level 17: Defensive Combo -- Rank 2, Accelerated Metabolism, Surge Of Strength (Chance to add +damage resilience buff)
    Level 20: Hurl -- Rubble Trouble (Stops travel power)
    Level 23: Shockwave -- Challenging Strikes (+aggro), Leg Rumbler (Stops travel power)
    Level 26: Masterful Dodge -- Rank 2, Unfettered Strikes (Every successful dodge provides +damage buff)
    Level 29: Aura Of Radiant Protection -- Rank 2
    Level 32: Circle Of Primal Dominion -- Rank 2, Rank 3
    Level 35: Enrage -- Adrenaline Junkie (Can Enrage at higher HP levels)
    Level 35: Acrobatics
    Level 38: Quarry

Talents:
    Level 1: The Hero (Jack of All Trades)
    Level 6: Enduring (Constitution)
    Level 9: Mighty (Strength)
    Level 12: Intimidating (Presence)
    Level 15: Physical Conditioning (Strength + Constitution)
    Level 18: Shrug It Off (Constitution + Presence)
    Level 21: Impressive Physique (Strength + Presence)

Am I missing much by not having Havoc Stomp? What about quarry for an offensive passive?

Harlon on
    3DS FC 1048-9228-8841
  • Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Dear whoever plays Speedfist,

I was just disconnected and I can't seem to get back on. I'm sorry, I was looking forward to doing missions with you.

Sincerely,
    The French Resistance.

PS, your costume is cool

Inx on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Inx wrote: »
    Dear whoever plays Speedfist,

I was just disconnected and I can't seem to get back on. I'm sorry, I was looking forward to doing missions with you.

Sincerely,
    The French Resistance.

PS, your costume is cool

Yeah, that was me. I too got disconnected, servers appear to be down, should have expected as much as its 1am and their usual maintenance time. Just victims of bad timing I guess.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Okay so this is awesome. I was having trouble with Force Cascade as I didn't have enough energy to charge it sufficiently. I had a lot of cash saved up, so I decided to undo every possible power, advantage, talent, and focus that I had. I went from being a STR/EGO character to a STR/END character and I dropped Gravitational Polarity and I picked up Energy Refraction.

Energy Refraction is awesome. It has a chance of activating your energy form thereby significantly reducing the cost of powers in addition to its defensive powers. Every so often in a fight I'll enter my energy form and I'm able to let off a fully charged Force Cascade each time. It happens quite often and makes Force Cascade super useful. I think its damage is affected by how many enemies are hit but I usually hit for 300-500 damage each.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Right now I am in the process of, and will tomorrow continue, leveling a character to test a combination of two particular advantages. Havoc Stomp's Cannonball, and Super Speed's Impact.

Impact causes you to get a damage bonus while SS is active that scales with your current speed.

Cannonball lets you use Havoc Stomp in the air and its damage is based on how far you fall, but sends you falling pretty fast. I want to see if it takes that speed into account for Impact.

Also to be tested is Thunderbolt Lunge with SS Impact. If all this works, it may make for the most fun melee character ever.

And for those of you that have gotten characters to 40, or 35 at least and gotten the second travel power, can you activate both at the same time? Can I do a SS/SJ character on here like I did on CoX? Because that would rule with this build if it works.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    ImkishImkish Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I understand it's just a beta right now, but the lack of information they're putting out there for gameplay and server status changes is getting a bit frustrating. I'm of the opinion that patch notes should be shown in the launcher, as should a brief message saying why the server is down, even if it's normal maintenance. Those of us on the wrong side of the world that have horrible, horrible memories shouldn't have to try to figure out what time it is over there every time a server is down. Plus "routine" maintenance can run longer than it's supposed to, so updates without having to dig horribly deep in the forums is a plus.

Again, I realize it's a beta, so it might change, but other games have gone the minimalist route for information in the launcher, and it really blows.

Imkish on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    meh when my non might flyer tried cannon ball, jumping off the power house ledge onto the dummies (like a 5 foot drop) I'd lose 900 health. I think it's for people with super jump. I wanted to fly up high then drop down but you take a ton of fall damage. If you're flying you just stay where you are and slam invisible ground.

Hope it works better with your SS though.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So I saw the coolest costume last night: Agent Smith.

Now. that's a pretty normal-seeming costume, just a black suit and glasses, etc... but the coolest thing was that there were multiple people, all with the exact same costume/name, running around together. I had to smile when I thought of PAers doing something like that en masse.

That'd be the coolest thing.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So I saw the coolest costume last night: Agent Smith.

Now. that's a pretty normal-seeming costume, just a black suit and glasses, etc... but the coolest thing was that there were multiple people, all with the exact same costume/name, running around together. I had to smile when I thought of PAers doing something like that en masse.

That'd be the coolest thing.

In before we get a supergroup based entirely around everyone just being a duplicate of one guy a la multiple man.

Inx on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2009
    new thread time

Tube on
This discussion has been closed.