Options

Stereotypes

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think Chik-fil-A made me racist.

A significant portion of our clientele were young black men high on marijuana.

in a fried chicken restaurant

The white potheads preferred the Orange Julius across the aisle. We did get the middle-aged white drunks, though.

I think being a racist made you a racist

all I see in Chik-Fil-A are white senior citizens

maybe, just maybe, it's based on where you live, and not on stereotypical behavior

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    <3<3 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sup guys.

<3 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Oh snap, I'm not jailed anymore

<3 on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Rolo wrote: »
    1. Break free of conventional rules. Finishing your sentences is not mandatory, merely optional and you can do it on Tuesdays but not on Wednesdays if you so desire. This is how you must think. If you decide you want to buy rubber ducks whilst talking about something important — don't be afraid to end the conversation and do it!
    2. Make plans and change them mid-way. Just because you're buying a new coat, it doesn't mean you can't go to the zoo on the way there. Plans should be broken if you think of a more exciting plan.
    3. Be oddly specific with what you are saying. It will sound more random. For example, instead of saying, "a few years ago," be more specific and say, "a few years after the year before ten years ago, I was speaking to the brother of my sister's father.(uncle)
    4. Learn random/specific colors and numbers. If asked to say a color, use "eggshell," or "dioxizine violet." (Look through Liquitex paint names for ideas; my favorite of theirs is "hookers green." And yes, that's a real color.) Also, answer with something like "pi," "e," or "the square root of seven" when asked to pick a number between one and ten.
    5. Avoid "wandom" words. "Wandom" means "wannabe random." This is usually formerly random material that has been overused and is just not random anymore. Wandom words include pickle, chicken, monkey, dino, penguin, purple, pie, moo, pizza, mayonnaise, pudding, pants, rawr, socks, llama, cheese, and nose. Of course, the wandomness is fairly culturally specific to North American school culture, so feel free to ignore this step.
    6. Don't be fake. If you can't be random, don't force it. People may stop liking you if you try to hard.
    7. Find your word. Be sure to conform to step 7 when picking a word. Examples of random words are smiley, knee, boing, and the like.
    8. Make random noises. Things like 'mwargh' or 'oooooohh' or even 'bwah' and 'digee' will work divinely. Don't try for this, though. You have to kind of be in your own world first.
    9. Don't forget random actions, like clapping randomly, or bobbing your head like a budgerigar (budgerigar a.k.a. budgie: small Australian parakeet).
    10. Random names work well. Try using Chris Mear, Mr. Chesters or The Teletubbies; all perform well.
    11. Put on a very normal outfit (e.g., jeans and T-shirt) and add something ridiculous (e.g., a huge chicken mask). Of course, you could also go with strange clothing all the way -- you might want to invest in things like suspenders, top hats, parasols, glitter vests, canes, ribbons, army boots, hippie or (real) vintage things, neon things, etc. (The trick is to have basic staples: plain T-shirts in varying colors and a couple pairs of blue jeans, maybe in gray, paired with freaky accessories). NB: wearing 'random' clothing will lose you randomness points in whatever else you happen to do - people will see how ridiculously stupid you look and ignore the randomness of your words and / or actions. Sorry, but it's true.
    12. Get used to forming odd obsessions, like a certain state, food, person, or animal. Make them very public and insane. There are certain topics though that are just old and used: penguins, llamas, Ramen, muffins, Red Bull, Mountain Dew, Monster, Michigan, celebrities like Billie Joe Armstrong, Marilyn Monroe,Ryan Ross, Benji and Joel Madden.

Oh man, this is that lame WikiHow thing on being random, isn't it?

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SpacehogSpacehog Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

THEN YOU'RE NOT BLACK

*common stereotype, all black people do time."

Spacehog on
  • Options
    Grim OutlookGrim Outlook Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    what kind of person can't improvise randomness?

Grim Outlook on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    the randomness thing was, in all likeliness, written by a highschooler

FACT: all highschoolers are dumb

I've never met a person in highschool I liked, ever

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I have a moleskine notebook that has no poetry in it

I do not, however, have a blog

and I did not think Donnie Darko was particularly good

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    1. Work on your self-confidence. No matter where you are, people will criticize you. There will always be someone who doesn't like you; it's impossible to please everyone. You need to know that you're pretty and learn to embrace your flaws. It's important to know who you are and know what you want. Stand out to be confident. Remember, you may be scene, but everyone you're trying to please is also human. Don't ever become scene just to please your peers. Being scene is a real and true way of life.Also if you are going to be a scene kid in a place where they are EXTREMELY rare, be prepaired for the sometimes angry comments you will get from other people.
    * Don't get overconfident. Nobody wants to interact with someone who puts them down, or acts like a jerk, but don't let people walk all over you, either. You need to know just the right balance.
    2. Be nice. People often mistake scene kids for horrible, nasty little teenagers who spread mean rumors about others, and are very harsh to other people they know. You don't need to fit this trend. Instead, make a good effort to be kind to others, and have an understanding that everyone has their own problems, not just you.
    3. Become active on social networking sites. Myspace, Facebook, and Twitter are the main ones. Accept any friend request you get, and remember: the more sites you're on, the more popular you are.
    * Take pictures for your page. Only upload images if they look good, and only take pictures if you know how. Taking pictures from the bottom angle, (taking it from your hips with the camera looking up), is a popular scene trend. You can also take an overhead picture with you looking up, or a mirror shot. To spice up your picture, add something flavorful; a colorful tutu, shutter shades, or big and bulky rings. Feel free to edit your picture to take out imperfections, such as acne or blackheads.
    * Add scene music. Bands and artists like Astor, BrokeNCYDE, 3OH!3, Dot Dot Curve(:, nevershoutnever!, LMFAO, Jeffree Star, and Scene Kidz all fall into that category. Listen to different songs, not always the same ones over and over again. Scene music has a large range; it involves most music except country and most rap. Anything techno, random, or unique will work. If you can't think of a good song, check out what other scene kids are listening to.
    * Having a cool online name is an option. Make sure that it's original. If you can't think of anything, have a friend give you an adjective that describes you that starts with the first letter of your name. Once you've found one that you like, try putting it at the beginning or end of your name. Use whichever one you like best! If your friend doesn't help, try looking up a word that describes you in a thesaurus. Words such as Suicide, Murder, Terror, Horror, Gore, Glamour, etc. are insanely common and will almost guarantee you an accusation of being a poser. Never, ever, set your name as "Savannah Scene" or "S4NDY SC3N3" or "Scene Samantha", etc. Using the word "scene" in your name screams fake. Find a word that isn't heard often, and then add it to your name, such as Penelope Poetry, Grace Giddy, Melissa Melancholy, etc. Or maybe use your first and middle name, example; Hanna Beth, Jessica Louise, and Melissa Marie. If your name can be used as a clever wordplay, such as Alison Wonderland, try to find a witty name using that. Also, taking the names of a popular scene band or song is accepted, such as nevershoutkatelyn!, Ronnie! At the Disco, and Amy Starship.
    4.Take up the scene writing style. * When you type on things like AIM or Myspace, add extra letters to your words. Type things such as "hii", "bby", "heyy", or ":]]". If you're saying goodbye to someone, type something like "xoxo", "ttyl <3", or "<3333". The word "rawr" was a crazed fad for a very long time, however lately, many scene kids who use "rawr" are seen as poseurs or out of style. Using ;; and // and :: or && is also good. Make sure to use it sparingly. Another great thing to use are words such as lyke, sexi, gawd, etc. Also, look for different spellings of a word and use that, so instead of "poser", you can say "poseur". Scene kids are growing up and evolving, and occasionally talk "lyk3 th!s", although the trend is normally used by younger scene kids. Use abbreviations if you're comfortable, but always make sure that no one knows what they mean. Ex; "I'm going to the mall" would be IGTTM. You also have to know what HxC and SxE means. If you don't, then learn. SxE means straight edge, (someone who refrains from drinking, drugs, and casual sex), and HxC means hardcore. Most scene kids consider themselves to be SxE, although some are more HxC and like to be in the center of the moshpit. If you think a particular thing is funny, type "lol @ [insert particular humorous thing].
    Saying that something is "so Vogue", as you could be describing someone's outfit, is a nice compliment, as Vogue is a popular fashion magazine. Some other things scene kids say are "betch", "you are the sex", "that's golden", "you're too cute STFU", or "OMG". Don't use irritating abbreviations in person. Saying "lol" is acceptable, but "rofl" and "lmao" are best left to typing conversations. Use new terms. Using words like "stellar", "rad", or "bomb" are all important aspects. However, don't say what everyone else around you is saying. If you need some inspiration, try Urban Dictionary, or even coining up your own word. If you do choose to make up your own word, make sure that it's original, and sounds good.
    5. Go to shows. Shows are important, and if there is a show playing within a ten mile radius of you, you're there. Always know when your favorite bands are playing, and go to a show at least once or twice a month. Bring your other scene friends, and become familiar with the artist as a person. Talk to your friends about how you met them, and be very knowledgeable about them. Many scene kids like to memorize all of the songs from a certain band and buy all of their CD's as well.
    6. Get the attitude right. It's a mix of the sullen teenage lethargy that comes with the emo scene, and the anger and saucy-ness that comes with hardcore scene. That's not to say that many scene kids aren't happy-go-lucky, but they are often a strange combination of randomness and angst. Whatever you do, make sure it works and you don't completely overdo it. Scene kids are at times very random and happy, but also at other times, completely emo. Use both as inspiration for the perfect attitude.
    7. Try starting a new trend. Several scene queens have become famous by inventing new trends. Only try to start a new trend if you are familiar with the scene culture, and have some credibility in your social clique. If you try to start a new fad when you aren't popular or have a good reputation, people may think you are being a poser and will ignore you.
    Guys 1. bGet scene Hair. Hair is one of the most important aspects of being scene. One of the most popular choices is to dye your hair black, and then add in neon or bright colored streaks. Bangs also look very good. However, all scene hair has layers. Your hair should be big, and should stick out in a crowd. To be unique from other scene kids, think about what you'd like your hair to be like before you dye it. Try something new that you haven't seen before, as long as it looks good! The scene guy mohawk is very risky but in the end can look rad. Spike up your hair in the back, too, but keep it choppy and voluminous. Scene hair is just the same as emo hair, but with more color and personality.
    2. Wear eyeliner. Black eyeliner is a must for all scene kids. Start out with the pencil eyeliner, as it is easier to apply and doesn't get as messy if you make a mistake. Once you get better at applying this, you can gradually start using liquid liner. Liquid is good for getting that cat-eye look, and looks very neat - but be warned, it's easy to mess up. There are many variations of eyeliner; wings on the outside of the eye tend to be popular. Make sure that you know what you're doing before you experiment with liquid eyeliner. Be light on the eyeliner since you're a boy; less is more. Only scene girls use colored eyeliner.
    3. Wear skinny jeans. Guys should wear tight skinny jeans that embrace their legs, but should be loose on the back area. Washes such as red, black, gray, or white are the most flattering on a boy. Make sure that the jeans remain tight! If they get loose, give them a quick run in the dryer for them to regain their elastic and shrink a bit. If you can't find any jeans designed for guys, buy a pair of decent fitting girl jeans. You may feel embarrassed, but you'll feel great as soon as you see how good you look in them.
    4. Stock up on band shirts and graphic shirts. If you've done your music research, load up on band t-shirts (e.g. The Devil Wears Prada). Get tight fitting t-shirts, within reason. Don't wear crew necks often, as they can be very unflattering. Make sure that you know what bands are scene before advertising your shirt, as the band may be old. Vintage band shirts have never done any harm either. Shirts with birds, animal prints, and skulls have also grown to be a new fad.
    * However, shirts with foil print or plain colors have become overused. But, that's not to say that kids stuff like Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Power Rangers, My Little Pony, Hello Kitty, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, etc. aren't good logos. Make sure that when you go shopping, you steer clear of these old styles.
    5. Get classic shoes. Start with Vans Classics, or some Converse. These are the most common brands among scene kids. After you get used to them, you can try out some Nike high-tops, or any neon-colored shoes. If you decide to get Converse, make sure that they're bright! Colors like black and gray look good on anyone, but it takes a lot of confidence to step into the halls in bright red shoes. They may look strange at first, but they look great and stand out in any crowd. Also, many scene kids like to wear different colored shoes, such as wearing one red Converse and one black one
    6. Accessories. Belts, piercings, sunglasses, and the like all play a huge role in your scene appearance. Bright belts with random prints on them and large belt buckles add style to any outfit. Oversized sunglasses or shutter shades look the best, and piercings are good, too. Remember, a couple piercings look good, but don't get so many that you scare people out of your sight! The black and white stud belt is about as classic as it gets for recognizing a scene guy.

Brolo on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    shank stop being the anti-stereotype stereotype, god

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

I just graduated.

Sup

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    stereotypically anti-stereotype stereotype

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    weeaboos are all fat and ugly.

<3 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    okay i think im gonna throw up after that last one time to stop

Brolo on
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    why did those guys get together to fuck an ottoman?

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    I have a blog

Three in fact

Don't update any of them, and one is really just a convenient place for me to put all six parts of The Devil And Billy Markham

Me Too! on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    <3 why are you not jailed

I am not used to seeing you not jailed

go back to jail <3

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I just graduated.

Sup

find something you like, don't try to fit in to some awful stereotype, and don't become a pretentious faggot

then, we can become friends

also, if you take a 101 class in college, for the sake of my sanity, don't pretend you know anything

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    SoaL wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bnqd3jTong&feature=channel_page

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    i have a tumblr, and skinny jeans, and thick rimmed glasses, and disheveled hair, and i listen to a lot of bands that i guess are indie.

maybe i'm a self loathing hipster.

Grim Outlook on
  • Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Spacehog wrote: »

THEN YOU'RE NOT BLACK

I have this one cousin that I didn't meet until I was in high school because he couldn't stay out of jail. He'd get out, stay clean for a few months, then start stealing tvs again.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2009
    Guys I think I'm going to grow my hair long and cornroll it.

Am I a stereotype?

Yes, unless you are Chinese in which case you eggroll it.

hahahahaha

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

I just graduated.

Sup

find something you like, don't try to fit in to some awful stereotype, and don't become a pretentious faggot

I've been playing in a band for half as long as I've been alive, I really don't look like someone who plays in a band, and...fuck. I have a Waking Life avatar. So close.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    Sony and JBL are pretty good stereo types.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    that gives a whole new meaning to n- fuckin' yo couch

<3 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

THEN YOU'RE NOT BLACK

I have this one cousin that I didn't meet until I was in high school because he couldn't stay out of jail. He'd get out, stay clean for a few months, then start stealing tvs again.

a friend of mine used to sell guns on the black market (haha get it)

he's a really nice guy, too

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    hey there me

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I just graduated.

Sup

I've been playing in a band for half as long as I've been alive, I really don't look like someone who plays in a band, and...fuck. I have a Waking Life avatar. So close.

you're from Canada, I'll give you a pass on that one

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    oh man, i'm from canada too.

Grim Outlook on
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    SoaL wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bnqd3jTong&feature=channel_page

at least they smartened up and got some protection

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Polago on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I'm from Canada, eh?

Where are you from Grim Outlook?

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I'm from Canada, eh?

Canada

aren't you reading this

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

THEN YOU'RE NOT BLACK

a friend of mine used to sell guns on the black market (haha get it)

he's a really nice guy, too

I knew a German guy, Raphael, who insisted gun control would never work, because you could always just buy one off a Bosnian.

The dude hated Bosnian.

There was this Bosnian guy at my school who was also a perfect flamboyant gay stereotype. Like, rainbows, unicorns and limp wrists, the whole thing. He confused the shit out of Raphael.

"Why does Zlatko wear a shirt that says 'I wouldn't come to school if there weren't so much nice boys?'"

Apparently that's a stereotype they don't have in Germany.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I'm from Canada, eh?

Canada

aren't you reading this

canadians don't read

I'm typing this into a moose!

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    toronto

Grim Outlook on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm typing this into a moose!

I can't stop laughing at this for some reason.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    technomoose

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    cool, welcome to the group of many toronto forumers who don't really hang out much

we tried for a while though!

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    cool, welcome to the group of many toronto forumers who don't really hang out much

we tried for a while though!

too busy snow boardin' and smoking the ganja, m i rite

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
This discussion has been closed.