As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

FUCK SPIDERS.

Brett AshleyBrett Ashley Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I just recently moved into an apartment with my bestfriend. It's been about two weeks and we're starting to have multiple encounters of the eight legged kind.:shock: We're not fans. So far, they have been nesting inside the top track of the sliding glass door which leads outside, right. It started with one tiny brown spider last week. Now there's four spiders; larger, darker brown, skinny legged POSes.

Is there some way I can block that part of the track without losing the ability to use the sliding glass door?

fuck spiders.
thank you.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Brett Ashley on

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    orthohomedefense_Full.jpg

Spray it around doors, windows, and around the foundation (unless it's an apartment not on ground level). Inside the rim of doors and windows too if you feel like it. It's totally pet and people safe once it dries, which takes minutes. Says it lasts for a years time, but I get better results when I use it twice a year, once in spring when it starts warming up and again when it starts cooling down in fall.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I use the exact same stuff, and it works well. I've found I need to spray about every 4 months.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    As with kitten threads (for cuteness) spider threads require pics (for dream-haunting factor).

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    On the subject of kittens: Get one. Or, more specifically, a cat. I used to have a spider problem in my house, and then I got a fluffy 1-year-old named Dirty Dee from the Humane Society. No problems since, and no chemicals :) .

susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I use the chemical stuff, because one of my housemates has pretty severe animal allergies (I guess it's the dander). It works pretty well and I don't have to spend as much time chasing the stupid things down and squashing them (yeah, I know, it's probably bad for my karma, but as the OP said so eloquently, fuck spiders).

Norfair on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    susan wrote: »
    On the subject of kittens: Get one. Or, more specifically, a cat. I used to have a spider problem in my house, and then I got a fluffy 1-year-old named Dirty Dee from the Humane Society. No problems since, and no chemicals :) .

Cats will hunt down any kind of bug in your house... but good chance they'll also bring them to you as trophies for approval. The spiders may or may not be entirely dead when kitty wakes you up and drops them inches from your face in the middle of the night.

Hevach on
  • Options
    gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    They're just ... spiders.. You can also just grab 'em with a piece of tissue or a broom.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Options
    An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My old apartment-house-thing was in the middle of the woods so we had tons of spider/bug problems. The spray stuff works well, but because we were mature, rational adults (read: college students), we also used high-powered airsoft guns and waged war against the arachnid enemy.

It was like Starship Troopers.

An-D on
  • Options
    TrinisTrinis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Any aerosol spray can such as Lysol plus a lighter makes a great flamethrower for a fun way to control insect/arachnid problems. The flame spray is too brief to damage things in your apartment, but works great on organic matter.

(Go with the spray, they won't keep coming back.)

Edit > I mean the chemical spray, ha.

Trinis on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Trinis wrote: »
    Any aerosol spray can such as Lysol plus a lighter makes a great flamethrower for a fun way to control insect/arachnid problems. The flame spray is too brief to damage things in your apartment, but works great on organic matter.

This is profoundly stupid advice - please be joking. To the OP do not do this.

Just use a broom to knock em down then use the spray to keep them away.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    That spray looks like it will accomplish immaculate work. Thanks everyone.
    P.S.- I'm a chick and there's no way in hell I'm going near those deathly flesh and soul devouring eight legged deviants.

To Wal Mart!.. Away!

Brett Ashley on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Callerno10Callerno10 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Aw! I'm from the pro-spider camp I guess. You should just let them do their job. I'll take spiders any day over flies, mosquitoes, and moths (freakin' moths!). I actually feed a spider, weekly at work, flies I catch in paper cups. I figure the little fella is keeping the other pest population down so it deserves a break. So far it has had 3 litters of little spider-lings. They are so adorable with their little legs as they scamper up and down all the webs in the hall.

Let the darn beasts be!!!

Callerno10 on
    GiiNome
  • Options
    gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Haha I wouldn't go as far as feeding them regularly, but they're pretty useful insects in terms of keeping other bugs out. I like having a few around in the summer, when bugs galore.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I like spiders for the work they do but I hold a very strict out of sight out of mind policy with them. If I see them, I will take them down.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    gneGne wrote: »
    Haha I wouldn't go as far as feeding them regularly, but they're pretty useful insects in terms of keeping other bugs out. I like having a few around in the summer, when bugs galore.

Spiders aren't insects, they are arachnids although they do have a diet consisting mostly of insects. Particularly disease causing pests.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    DekuStick wrote: »
    I like spiders for the work they do but I hold a very strict out of sight out of mind policy with them. If I see them, I will take them down.

Sorta... I don't care if they're crawling around in the corner. Hanging from silk in front of my face? Walking along my shampoo bottle where I can't see it when I grab it? Oh hell no.

Also, yea, that Ortho Home Defense stuff is awesome.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    We used to have a lot of spiders in our house. Know what we finally did about it? Nothing, because they're harmless.

We still have plenty of spiders, but the house is quite free of flies and mosquitoes.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Spiders are not harmless. Most spiders are harmless. In the south, you will often get brown recluses, however, which like to do things like hang out in your shoes and blankets. Their bites are not harmless at all, and can be quite serious.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Implying that a brown recluse is anything but spectacularly rare is a little disingenuous.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Implying that a brown recluse is anything but spectacularly rare is a little disingenuous.

And that bites are even common is doubly so.

Dangerous yes, but hardly even common.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The best (and possibly the only) way to get rid of spiders is to get rid of their prey. Aside from spraying your doors and windows, try to find out if you have any other pest problems. What kind of spiders are we talking about? If you can get a species then you can find out what it typically hunts.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Trinis wrote: »

This is profoundly stupid advice - please be joking. To the OP do not do this.

Just use a broom to knock em down then use the spray to keep them away.

Yes it's stupid, fun and stupid. That's why I suggested going with the chemical method and not the flamethrower at the end of the post.

Trinis on
  • Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

That depends on a lot of factors. Normally we have our house sprayed but recently we have not. I have seen over 30 brown recluse in the past three weeks and have been bitten several times by them.

Keeping in mind, brown recluse bites are generally not serious but can be. It varies from bite to bite and person to person. But yeah, they are not rare at all in many situations. I have seen them my whole life, around everything.

Also, I am sure of what I am looking at. I love spiders and have 16 tarantulas as pets. :lol:

To the OP, that spray works pretty good, I have a friend who uses it in his apartment. He hates spiders and has not complained in months.

EDIT: Also, usually more spiders will be seen travelling around your floor during the night. Especially mature males that are looking for a mate. During the day they are more likely to be hiding in your dirty laundry on the floor, in shoes and in the walls.

Noxy on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I've seen brown recluse in (western and southern) West Virginia, which supposedly isn't even in their range. They seem to be hardy little guys though.

Fonjo - several brown recluse bites? What kind of first aid did you apply? Not trying to derail, I'm just curious in case I or someone I'm around was bitten.

Trinis on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    First aid for brown recluse venom is... nothing! Contrary to what some people believe, there is not much you can do.

Most bites are not detected until a day later. The pain is usually not too bad at all and the area around the bit turns red. The red area is usually surrounded by a circle of normal skin and a bruise that is about the size of a half-dollar. This is a very rough estimate but around 1 out of 100 brown recluse bites actually do any medically significant damage.

Keep an eye on the bite and it will probaby get soft. If it starts getting pretty warm to the touch it could be infected or the venom could be necrotizing, this is when you should see a doctor. Antibiotics do not help and the wound will probably need to be cleaned of necrotizing flesh.

Noxy on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My house used to be full of spiders, the big scary Australian kind who are harmless but scary because of the way they glare at you and their sometimes completely huge-ness. They mostly stayed out of our way and when they didn't we caught them and threw them outside. But then a few years ago, for some reason, geckos started showing up. Adorable pink geckos, and less adorable brown geckos. The pink geckos and the brown geckos had a turf war for about a week during which we'd sometimes see them fighting and hurling each other from walls and ceilings. Anyway, the pink dudes won and now they're everywhere, making cute little noises, not getting on anyone's nerves, and apparently eating all the spiders as well as the spiders' former prey. I haven't seen a spider or a cockroach in this house for years now.

I guess this doesn't translate into actual advice but it's sure worked out for me.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    LaCabra wrote: »
    My house used to be full of spiders, the big scary Australian kind who are harmless but scary because of the way they glare at you and their sometimes completely huge-ness. They mostly stayed out of our way and when they didn't we caught them and threw them outside. But then a few years ago, for some reason, geckos started showing up. Adorable pink geckos, and less adorable brown geckos. The pink geckos and the brown geckos had a turf war for about a week during which we'd sometimes see them fighting and hurling each other from walls and ceilings. Anyway, the pink dudes won and now they're everywhere, making cute little noises, not getting on anyone's nerves, and apparently eating all the spiders as well as the spiders' former prey. I haven't seen a spider or a cockroach in this house for years now.

I guess this doesn't translate into actual advice but it's sure worked out for me.

In other words, buy 1,000 house geckos and release them into your home... I like it!

Noxy on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    So cool, I want tons of geckos living in my house. I think the cats could finish them all inside of a day though. The last lizard I saw here was dropped off beside my bed as a gift.

Trinis on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Fonjo wrote: »
    First aid for brown recluse venom is... nothing! Contrary to what some people believe, there is not much you can do.

Brown Recluses are pretty terrible creatures (gross pictures in link). I use to live in a house in the woods of Western North Carolina. About 60% of the year, it was cool enough that there were no bugs at all...but during the peak of the summer, I don't think I could go a week without seeing at least one of these guys running across the room. And thats with me using that 6-month spray stuff every 2-3 weeks or so.

I was never bit, but I for damn sure wasn't going to let any of those buggers get the chance.

An-D on
  • Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    1174285553215.jpg

E.Coyote on
  • Options
    horseman85horseman85 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    An-D wrote: »
    Fonjo wrote: »

Brown Recluses are pretty terrible creatures (gross pictures in link). I use to live in a house in the woods of Western North Carolina. About 60% of the year, it was cool enough that there were no bugs at all...but during the peak of the summer, I don't think I could go a week without seeing at least one of these guys running across the room. And thats with me using that 6-month spray stuff every 2-3 weeks or so.

I was never bit, but I for damn sure wasn't going to let any of those buggers get the chance.

Oh wow, the two weeks later picture was . . . Yeah. It was pretty gross. But from a biologist's standpoint? Goddamn, that's kinda cool that the venom can do that. If I remember correctly, that is essentially how spiders eat right? They inject the venom, which turns the inside of their prey into a liquid?

horseman85 on
    PSN ID: dropofh2o
  • Options
    KillgrimageKillgrimage Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just want to put this link up here because as a spider lover myself, I feel that it is important to dispel as many myths and false "facts" about spiders as possible.

http://www.washington.edu/burkemuseum/spidermyth/index.html

While I am not disputing that the person in the picture had his hand destroyed by a venomous spider, I want to make it clear that his case is extremely rare and unusual. There's enough crap out their about spiders stemming from people's fear of them (yeah, a lot of them look icky) that I want to make avaliable some real information about our eight legged friends.

Also, I never kill spiders in my house. They kill other insects that want to come in!

Killgrimage on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I was not expecting to see such a disgusting picture of a gianormous spider.. I'm fairly sure they are recluses. I don't wanna become liquid!

Brett Ashley on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The only way that situation could be more fucked would if the toilet paper had like 4 squares left ...

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I just want to put this link up here because as a spider lover myself, I feel that it is important to dispel as many myths and false "facts" about spiders as possible.

Would you like to know more?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OfhZm5ixtM

An-D on
  • Options
    CreepyCreepy Tucson, AzRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    New guy at work just got bit by a brown recluse last week. I think I've only ever seen one once out here though.

Creepy on
    Live: Broichan

PSN: Broichan
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Would you like to know more?

That made my night :lol:

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    There are a few spiders out there in the not-to-be-messed-with category; the garage of the house I used to live in would get a widow from time to time, which is weird because IIRC I thought they weren't supposed to really live in this climate (Pac NW.)

Also I thought recluses didn't usually get that big, but maybe they do

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Brown recluse do not get very big, they are fairly long legged though. Most bites from them are harmless. You should not ignore a bite, but odds are you will be fine, just watch it carefully. If it progresses beyond a simple bruise, consult a doctor.

I can't blame someone for wanting to get rid of spiders though, I used to be an arachnophobe and the fear was paralyzing.

Noxy on
  • Options
    elfdudeelfdude Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Actually quite a number of spiders in the americas all over have pretty painful or irritating bites, even common garden spiders can leave a bite that feels like a mosquito's on steroids.

Most of their bites are pretty much harmless. The most common ones in america to watch out for are:

Brown recluses which I've never found them to be rare as a lot of people here as stating, I can count a dozen of them in the rafters of my house. They are pretty harmless though most bites I get produce only a mosquito like bite.

Black widows, by far the most dangerous ones they're also semi-common but they prefer dark undisturbed places and rarely threaten people's living areas. Be weary about sheds and basements. Their bite is one of the most painful experiences you can have as a human being. They're very quiet and dislike movement and racket so unless you have a large amount of storage in your house you needn't worry about them.

Hobo Spiders, these guys are everywhere, they like to make nests at the ground level in grass, in corners really anywhere, they have a very nasty necrotic bite. They are among the most bold and aggressive spiders I've found, walking casually across the middle of the floor or charging your feet as fast as their spider legs can go.

Yellow Sac Spiders, are everywhere too. They seem to like warm places and are amongst the most common to snuggle up with accidently. I have them all over in my gutters and have to worry about using extra care when cleaning them out. Their bite is pretty puny but annoying none the less.

There's a lot of information about the range that these guys roam but pretty much if you have a warm enough environment, and aren't high in altitude you can find these spiders anywhere in America. Learn what each of them look like and be cautious with them.

I personally never kill any spiders (except black widows, those things scare me) which is part of the reason the outside of my house is swarming with them. It's really just a karma thing and bugs not spiders actually scare me (irrational childhood phobia) so I particularly like and prefer spiders to having bugs in my house. They also prevent wasps from building nests around my house which is also preferable.
    I was not expecting to see such a disgusting picture of a gianormous spider.. I'm fairly sure they are recluses. I don't wanna become liquid!

The best way to identify them is the the fiddleshaped marking on their back, no fiddle no recluse.

elfdude on
    Every man is wise when attacked by a mad dog; fewer when pursued by a mad woman; only the wisest survive when attacked by a mad notion.